ThunderThighs

quality posts: 564 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Have you been interested in stepping into the world of wine tasting but been afraid to do it on your own?

Do you want to know what is meant by mouthfeel and finish?

Would you like to know what they heck they’re talking about in the wine.woot forums when they mention vintage, horizontal, vertical, barreling, cellaring, fermenting, tannins… heck, I’ll just stop there.

If you answered yes to any of these questions, you’re in the same boat I am. I’ve decided to remedy this situation by learning more about wine tasting. A little background, my wine education is sadly lacking. I did tour some wineries while living in Washington state in the 1990s. I prefer whites and really haven’t given red wines a chance. Red wine will be my big challenge during this adventure.

So please, don’t leave me hanging. Help me out and join me over the next several weeks as we explore Wine Tasting for Newbies at wine.woot.

In this thread, we’ll read about wine tasting, talk about wine tasting, and learn about wine tasting. We have plenty of experienced people in the wine.woot community that I’m sure will join us to lend their expertise.

To guide the discussion along in a coherent manner, I’m reading and will be following the book Essential Winetasting by Michael Schuster (US 2011 reprint, note this is the book, not the course).

I chose this book for a few reasons:
Good Reviews – Granted it’s only a few but they all liked it
Color & Pictures – If you’re going to tell me how a wine should look, it's best to show me. I need to see what you’re talking about.

Following the contents of this book, the first few discussions will be about sight, smell, taste and tasting, words and qualities, and finally, values.

Next comes the vineyard, the grape, dry white wine, sweet white wine, red wine, oak, and winemakers.

After that, we’ll see how things go. We may even change course along the way if needed.

If you’d like to join, feel free to grab the book and follow along or just join in for the discussion. I think both will be informative.

DISCUSSIONS
Various discussions start at these posts.
Sight
Smell
Taste and Tasting

Useful Links
I’ll be adding to this section as things come up.

Wine Tasting Glossary of Terms
winetasting.com

A Cat Died in My Mouth! (or) How To Develop The Professional Palate YOU Want!
Previous wine.woot forum. Thanks Kyle!

Here, kitty kitty / Wine critics love cat pee, but hate wet dog. We explain why.
Great article on wine smells. Thanks chemvictim!

Wine Serving Temperature for Red & White Wines
easyfoodandwine.com

Wine Serving Temperatures
about.com

Quality Posts

• (10:46 AM, 10/31/2013) MarkDaSpark adds tips for Orange Wine.

FORUM MODERATOR............................ON VACATION
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

ThunderThighs

Staff

As mentioned above, the first thing up for discussion is the appearance of the wine.

CLARITY: the lack of or presence of particles or sediment in a wine. Descriptive words: clear, muddy, murky, cloudy, hazy

BRIGHTNESS: the way light interacts with the wine. Descriptive words: radiant, lustrous, luminous, vivid, lively, bright, lackluster, dull, flat

DEPTH: the measure of how dark or intense the color is. Descriptive words: opaque, deep, dark, dense, pale, light, weak, watery

Following this section of the book, I put Woot Cellars F-Bomb through the visual tests.

As suggested in the book, I started by placing my filled wine glass on a piece of white paper and looked at the glass from above.

The clarity of the wine seemed well, really clear - there wasn’t any murkiness to it at least. And while I felt there should have been an IQ test for this, I guess I would describe the wine as bright and not dull or lackluster. I’m not sure what to say about the depth of color since it was a white wine. The color was the same from the side as it was from above to me. Maybe I missed something there. I didn’t see any bubbles and happily, I didn’t see any UFOs in the bottom of my wine glass either (i.e. sediment). I’m not sure how I’d deal with things in my wine.

I’m having trouble understanding and using some of the more proper descriptive words for this. It may come in time but I think I’ll be happy with just understanding them when people use them.

Now since I’m not up to the part on describing the taste yet, all I can tell you is “YUM” and that bottle of F-Bomb is all gone.

I found the part of the book about the appearance of red wines really interesting. I’ve seen people tilt their glasses to look at a wine but never really understood it. Little did I know that the color is different at the edges (rim) of the wine and the center (core). BTW, the pictures really helped here. And FINALLY, I know that tannins come from the grape’s skin. Now I won’t feel quite so clueless when someone mentions that. Still working on understanding what that gets me but I have the definition! Score one for TT!

One of my next outings will likely be to a local wine bar so I can sample some red wines. I have no idea where to start. Hopefully a kind soul at the establishement will take pity on me.

Join me next Sunday when I stick my nose into everything to learn about Smell.

••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22

Love the idea of this thread. Looking forward to reading this.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

Flybranda

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Flybranda
polarbear22 wrote:Love the idea of this thread. Looking forward to reading this.

+1

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile, make the sage frolic, and the serious smile. -Homer

rjquillin

quality posts: 173 Private Messages rjquillin
ThunderThighs wrote:

DISCUSSIONS
Various discussions start at these posts.
Smell

OK TT, just how much of the F-Bomb did you consume before you make the "Smell" link that points to "Sight"?

Wonderful concept and addition.
Where is the like button?

CT

ThunderThighs

Staff

rjquillin wrote:OK TT, just how much of the F-Bomb did you consume before you make the "Smell" link that points to "Sight"?

Wonderful concept and addition.
Where is the like button?

Ha! You get bonus points for catching that. I did say that bottle was all gone.

I'm looking for you and the others to help out!

rjquillin

quality posts: 173 Private Messages rjquillin
ThunderThighs wrote:Ha! You get bonus points for catching that. I did say that bottle was all gone.

I'm looking for you and the others to help out!

Ha! You gotta be kidding. I'm gonna be reading to learn as well. The "cat died" link is a treasure I've read innumerable times now. Nice inclusion.

CT

cortot20

quality posts: 138 Private Messages cortot20

Once you guys have gone through this little course come on over to the What are you drinking tonight thread and post some reviews of whatever you are drinking. It's fun to critically think about whats in the glass in front of you and then share that with others and in turn see what they are drinking and what they like and dislike about it.

CT

rpm

quality posts: 172 Private Messages rpm
ThunderThighs wrote:

... long post ....

A Cat Died in My Mouth! (or) How To Develop The Professional Palate YOU Want! (previous wine.woot forum) Thanks Kyle!

I'm going to strongly suggest those interested in learning about wine-tasting start with the A Cat Died in My Mouth! (or) How To Develop The Professional Palate YOU Want! (previous wine.woot forum) thread.

It is a rare combination of interaction between relatively new winedrinkers, moderately experienced wine lovers who have begun to explore their understandings, and some professional wine-makers and semi-professional winos with up to half-a-century's experience.

It includes what I think is still one of best very short overviews of wine tasting for intelligent young adults who have no experience (My Notes on Wine for 1982 Summer Associates Tasting prepared for law students between their second and third years) as well as discussions of some of the most important serious literature on evaluating wine.

It is appropriate to note here that one of the important contributors is SonomaBouliste -- winemaker extraordinaire Peter Wellington, who has an offering up today that is not to be missed.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

ThunderThighs

Staff

I started reading "The Cat Died in My Mouth..." thread and I've determined that there's no way I'm gonna get that deep into the world of wine tasting.

What I want is to get a basic understanding and figure out the vocabulary. So if I know that I like 'A' wine and y'all tell me it has XYZ attributes, I can figure out that I'll like another wine that has similar attributes.

For me, understanding the vocabulary and what they heck you guys are saying is half the battle.

Tonight's wine is the 2010 St. Julian Pinot Grigio. I really enjoyed the first bottle last month.

Color: Very clear. Light yellow in appearance. Smells wonderful but I couldn't tell you what those smells are.

mschauber

quality posts: 40 Private Messages mschauber
polarbear22 wrote:Love the idea of this thread. Looking forward to reading this.

This is an awesome idea for a thread. I know a little but still consider myself a polliwog, so I'll definitely be following along.

--
Hey you, out there in the cold; Getting lonely, getting old; Can you feel me? - Pink Floyd/Roger Waters
My CT

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 181 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
ThunderThighs wrote:I started reading "The Cat Died in My Mouth..." thread and I've determined that there's no way I'm gonna get that deep into the world of wine tasting.

What I want is to get a basic understanding and figure out the vocabulary. So if I know that I like 'A' wine and y'all tell me it has XYZ attributes, I can figure out that I'll like another wine that has similar attributes.

For me, understanding the vocabulary and what they heck you guys are saying is half the battle.

Tonight's wine is the 2010 St. Julian Pinot Grigio. I really enjoyed the first bottle last month.

Color: Very clear. Light yellow in appearance. Smells wonderful but I couldn't tell you what those smells are.

Look for some of Scott Harvey's blogs. I think he's done a good job of making it easy to understand. Plus, IIRC, he's on some council to make it easy to see (on the back label) where a wine is on the tasting spectrum. As in Old World vs. New World.

I think there was also a post where he mentions the pH of a wine, and what the ranges mean (usually wine good on it's own or wine better with food, IIRC).

Oh, and a quick definition ... Vertical usually means the same wine (winery, vineyard, etc.) over 2 or more years.

Example:

Nicolaysen Family Vineyards Late Harvest Pinot Blanc Mini-Vertical was their 2002 & 2003 LH Pinot Blanc.

The current C.G. Di Arie Petite Sirah Vertical is their Estate Grown 2006, 2007, & 2008 PS.

Some of us do get carried away. One of these years I'll have to open my Turley Hayne Vineyard PS wines (1998-2009)

A horizontal usually refers to the same year of a varietal, and sometimes the same vineyard, where possible.

For example, in 2004 we have:

• Chase Petite Sirah Hayne Vineyard
  • Elyse PS Hayne Vineyard
  • Jacob Franklin PS Hayne Vineyard (10 barrels)
  • Turley PS Hayne Vineyard

So if you had 2 or 3 of them, that would definitely be a horizontal.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

mschauber

quality posts: 40 Private Messages mschauber
ThunderThighs wrote:
To guide the discussion along in a coherent manner, I’m reading and will be following the book Essential Winetasting by Michael Schuster (US 2011 reprint, note this is the book, not the course).

Do you have a link to this book, preferably the Kindle version or any eBook version. Amazon seems to only have the print version of the course book.

Thanks..

--
Hey you, out there in the cold; Getting lonely, getting old; Can you feel me? - Pink Floyd/Roger Waters
My CT

LaVikinga

quality posts: 13 Private Messages LaVikinga

@ThunderThighs: I think I love you! Thank you for starting this thread. Some of my more wine savvy friends often laugh at my descriptions. The most recent foray into my Land of Walrus Toting Halibut descriptions was: "...it tastes like old clothes stuffed into a trunk in your grandmother's attic." After laughing at me, they agreed the wine was decidedly off. We had never had a red that was overwhelmingly musty. BAD musty. Undrinkable musty. Like send-it-back-on-a-rocketship musty.
The restaurant tried to tell us this particular French wine was supposed to taste that way. Well, fine. Lesson learned. YOU drink old clothes. In the meantime, bring us something else.
With this thread, maybe I'll finally learn how I should have properly described what I was smelling and tasting!

Wine may not heal all things, but it sure will make you feel a whole lot better.

ThunderThighs

Staff

mschauber wrote:Do you have a link to this book, preferably the Kindle version or any eBook version. Amazon seems to only have the print version of the course book.

Thanks..

Here you go.

It's confusing the cause the same author also has a green cover book that you would use to run a class. The red cover book is not the course despite what that link says.

MarkDaSpark

ThunderThighs wrote:Here you go.

It's confusing the cause the same author also has a green cover book that you would use to run a class. The red cover book is not the course despite what that link says.

Umm, that's for the paperback version, not the electronic (Kindle/e-book) kind. Luddite!

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

ThunderThighs

Staff

MarkDaSpark wrote:Umm, that's for the paperback version, not the electronic (Kindle/e-book) kind. Luddite!

He said preferably. I prefer not to as does the publisher, apparently.

I love my paper books.

MarkDaSpark

ThunderThighs wrote:He said preferably. I prefer not to as does the publisher, apparently.

I love my paper books.

I do too, but when I have way more paperback books than bottles of wine, it's time to appreciate my Kindle.

mother

quality posts: 15 Private Messages mother
LaVikinga wrote:@ThunderThighs: I think I love you! Thank you for starting this thread. Some of my more wine savvy friends often laugh at my descriptions. The most recent foray into my Land of Walrus Toting Halibut descriptions was: "...it tastes like old clothes stuffed into a trunk in your grandmother's attic." After laughing at me, they agreed the wine was decidedly off. We had never had a red that was overwhelmingly musty. BAD musty. Undrinkable musty. Like send-it-back-on-a-rocketship musty.

Though more often described as moldy newspaper, it sounds like you had a run-in with an infamous "corked" bottle of wine. (Google TCA, 2,4,6 trichloroanisole, "Cork Taint", etc.)

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon
mother wrote:Though more often described as moldy newspaper, it sounds like you had a run-in with an infamous "corked" bottle of wine. (Google TCA, 2,4,6 trichloroanisole, "Cork Taint", etc.)

I opened not 1, but 2 bottles last night that were tainted. The first one tasted like an old, past prime bottle (This was a 2007) and then that feeling didn't blow off.

The second bottle was moldy socks, I could hardly stand smelling it much less tasting it.

It's good to learn these things so you don't get stuck with them. (These were part of a 6-pack that are all being returned now)

The borderline cases are interesting though.

I have had 2 out of the 4 bottles of 2006 Idus Priorat that I purchased from woot. The first one seemed so minerally to the point of feeling carbonated. It wasn't awful but wasn't what I expected nor what it was supposed to be. I have since opened a second bottle in the same company and found a lush rich red. Only after I had this second bottle did I know that the first one was significantly flawed.

The thing I will stress most for learning wine is (as RPM's tagline says) "Remember what you Taste". You don't have to remember every nuance, but a basic flavor profile (Bright red/Medium red/dark red/purple/blue/black), Notable complexity or length, tannin, and an overall assessment on whether you liked it.

If you remember these things about wines, you'll be able to find more wines you like, know WHY you like them, and better avoid those you don't like.

To bring this around to the beginning, you'll also figure out what spoiled wine tastes like so that you can firmly tell the sommelier that it is indeed bad and they owe you a good one.

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

cjsiege

quality posts: 13 Private Messages cjsiege

TT - a suggestion for wading your way through the "spice" sort of smells that you will experience. Go straight to your spice cabinet. If there's womething you can't quite place, start by pulling out some of the "usual suspects", like black peppercorns, vanilla extract, cloves, nutmeg, cinnamon, basil, rosemary, paprika. If nothing quite matches, it may give you inspiration for other spices to try. Or it may give you a place to start your description ("herbal nose", "baking spice blend",etc.)

LaVikinga

quality posts: 13 Private Messages LaVikinga
mother wrote:Though more often described as moldy newspaper, it sounds like you had a run-in with an infamous "corked" bottle of wine. (Google TCA, 2,4,6 trichloroanisole, "Cork Taint", etc.)

So THAT'S what a corked bottle might smell/taste like. It was truly awful . The restaurant owner lost himself four customers that night, especially when the waitress agreed the bottle was undrinkable.

My proudest/most embarrassing moment was when asked by our friend, a Catholic priest who would share fabulously expensive ($300-$500 a bottle) wines with us, what was the first thing I tasted when served one of these extravagant bottles. I replied "DIRT! Father, it tastes like dirt and berries." Oddly enough, it was the answer he was hoping for. From then on he'd always warn me if there was Dirt Wine on the menu.

Wine may not heal all things, but it sure will make you feel a whole lot better.

coolchris160

quality posts: 47 Private Messages coolchris160
ThunderThighs wrote:I prefer whites and really haven’t given red wines a chance. Red wine will be my big challenge during this adventure.

Hey TT,

I'm in the same boat. However, in the past month or two I have started trying different Zinfandels and they are certainly growing on me. Perhaps they will help me transition into other reds I might enjoy. I'm looking forward to this discussion. Thanks

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg
LaVikinga wrote:So THAT'S what a corked bottle might smell/taste like. It was truly awful . The restaurant owner lost himself four customers that night, especially when the waitress agreed the bottle was undrinkable.

Any restaurant worth visiting will graciously take care of a situation like that, and a server who knows wine will recognize the bad cork smell, and not even offer the wine for approval, but will quietly take it away for a replacement. A few months ago, when I had a cold and my sense of smell/taste were not up to par, I approved a wine which we soon realized was bad. The restaurant immediately offered to replace it, asking if we wanted something different, or another bottle of the same wine. We chose the latter, got a wonderful bottle of wine, and made sure to offer the (inexperienced) server an opportunity to taste both wines, so she'd have a chance to learn the difference. What can I say, we're both educators to the core.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
cmaldoon wrote:I have had 2 out of the 4 bottles of 2006 Idus Priorat that I purchased from woot. The first one seemed so minerally to the point of feeling carbonated. It wasn't awful but wasn't what I expected nor what it was supposed to be. I have since opened a second bottle in the same company and found a lush rich red. Only after I had this second bottle did I know that the first one was significantly flawed.

This sounds like secondary fermentation. It can be as bad as actually tasting like a mildly flat soda. I have heard people say that they decanted and/or Vinturi-ed the wine enough that the fizziness went away, but I've always poured the wine and opened something new.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

ddeuddeg

cmaldoon wrote:...
The borderline cases are interesting though.

I have had 2 out of the 4 bottles of 2006 Idus Priorat that I purchased from woot. The first one seemed so minerally to the point of feeling carbonated. It wasn't awful but wasn't what I expected nor what it was supposed to be. I have since opened a second bottle in the same company and found a lush rich red. Only after I had this second bottle did I know that the first one was significantly flawed.

The thing I will stress most for learning wine is (as RPM's tagline says) "Remember what you Taste". You don't have to remember every nuance, but a basic flavor profile (Bright red/Medium red/dark red/purple/blue/black), Notable complexity or length, tannin, and an overall assessment on whether you liked it.

If you remember these things about wines, you'll be able to find more wines you like, know WHY you like them, and better avoid those you don't like.

To bring this around to the beginning, you'll also figure out what spoiled wine tastes like so that you can firmly tell the sommelier that it is indeed bad and they owe you a good one.

I couldn't have said this better.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

neilfindswine

quality posts: 170 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

cmaldoon wrote:

...to help remember, I humbly suggest a tasting journal. It helps in keeping track and remembering the profile and assessment of each wine that finds its way into your glass. Early on, I even kept wine labels (geeky, I know).

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

ThunderThighs

Staff

cjsiege wrote:TT - a suggestion for wading your way through the "spice" sort of smells that you will experience. Go straight to your spice cabinet. If there's womething you can't quite place, start by pulling out some of the "usual suspects", like black peppercorns, vanilla extract, cloves, nutmeg, cinnamon, basil, rosemary, paprika. If nothing quite matches, it may give you inspiration for other spices to try. Or it may give you a place to start your description ("herbal nose", "baking spice blend",etc.)

A little tidbit about me. My ex used to say that my favorite thing to make for dinner was reservations. I just took an inventory of my spice cabinet: cinnamon, vanilla, garlic, bacon salt (hickory), popcorn salt, and pepper. I don't think that's gonna be much help.

ThunderThighs

Staff

cmaldoon wrote:The thing I will stress most for learning wine is (as RPM's tagline says) "Remember what you Taste". You don't have to remember every nuance, but a basic flavor profile (Bright red/Medium red/dark red/purple/blue/black), Notable complexity or length, tannin, and an overall assessment on whether you liked it.

But see, those things don't mean anything to me yet. I'm starting from ground zero. I basically know if I like one or I don't.

ddeuddeg

ThunderThighs wrote:But see, those things don't mean anything to me yet. I'm starting from ground zero. I basically know if I like one or I don't.

There's still room on the rpm tour next month. A great way to get a start, as well as meet new w.w friends.

ThunderThighs

Staff

ddeuddeg wrote:There's still room on the rpm tour next month. A great way to get a start, as well as meet new w.w friends.

I seriously pondered it for a bit but I want to try to do something with my son later in the summer before he heads back to college. Maybe next year.

rpm

quality posts: 172 Private Messages rpm
ThunderThighs wrote:I seriously pondered it for a bit but I want to try to do something with my son later in the summer before he heads back to college. Maybe next year.

There will not be a 'next year' - our tours have been only every 2 years in even years. And, it is unclear whether there will be further tours after the two this year. Be advised.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
ddeuddeg wrote:There's still room on the rpm tour next month. A great way to get a start, as well as meet new w.w friends.

You all should convince Gatzby to send us.

For research.

I'm just hanging out, really.

MarkDaSpark

inkycatz wrote:You all should convince Gatzby to send us.

For research.

Gatzby, you need to send TT and Inkycatz to the RPM Tour this year! It may never happen again!!!

And they need the research! Especially dealing with us. You at least are (were?) in Colorado, so you get to join in the Denver gatherings. Those two need to join us in the wine journey known as the RPM Magical Historical Wine Tour!

Plus we need more single women!!!

ddeuddeg

MarkDaSpark wrote:Plus we need more single women!!!

Based on TT's having a son, may not be single. Don't know about inky.

tiger7610

quality posts: 17 Private Messages tiger7610

We need more single women, I need more roomate options at wine.woot events, now that cheron is occupied.

ThunderThighs

Staff

ddeuddeg wrote:Based on TT's having a son, may not be single. Don't know about inky.

I'm single. LOL

tiger7610 wrote:We need more single women, I need more roomate options at wine.woot events, now that cheron is occupied.

I snore horribly.

cortot20

quality posts: 138 Private Messages cortot20

For research.

For science!

CT

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
cortot20 wrote:For science!

I also like science.

MarkDaSpark wrote:Gatzby, you need to send TT and Inkycatz to the RPM Tour this year! It may never happen again!!!

See, I knew this community had our back, as it were! :D

I'm just hanging out, really.

cjsiege

quality posts: 13 Private Messages cjsiege

For research.

And also to learn how to tell when we're actually talking wine stuff vs. the usual shananigans... (so you know when you really need to put bowtie on probation).

Yeah. that's another way we can sell it.