MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 168 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

I think some of us haven't been commenting as much in the main wine threads due to there being so many offers each week. As in, it was easier to comment when there were only 3 or so offers per week, but once we went to 1 a day, it became harder to check the wine threads every day.

And with even more offers each week, it's even harder. I used to check the wine threads every day, but when it went to one a day, it became too much time involved.

Now it's usually only a drive-by when it's a wine or varietal I like.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

keithnowak7

quality posts: 11 Private Messages keithnowak7

I am a little tired of Econ 101 being thrown around. If demand=supply is your sin qua non of economic knowledge, you should never let an item not sell out. Or else, you were inefficient in calculating their supply and demand. I can grow grapes in salt water-ass soil in Ohio that even Welches would refuse, so it is not so simple.

Demand is dictated by preferential growing regions, or AVAs, DOCs, whatever you care for. Then by wineries. So, the demand for, what you sell "cheap wine", will always be there. The thing you negate is the supply. You are not the only one. You partnered with Amazon so you get the great shipping rates... which I already addressed and you acted like you spent $10+ an order during the summer.

So, explain how you have offered things that did not sell, even "well" depending on what you define that term as. You know why? It was a salt water deal for the wine. I can grow 8 vines in my backyard and bottle it for 150 a bottle. Retail means nothing. You have become lot 18. Or whatever the new "trendy" wine site is.

I love Wellington. I'd pay his retail plus your pricing. But don't act like you are some saint of woot.wine that we all knew and loved because you can still hock salt water for prices on the site. I would not found a company and accept the term "guest blogger" unless you don't want quality/bonus/offers to come back to you.

TL:DR winedavid cashes his check, regardless of the salt water he sells (which, this is not.) but, to see that mentality from you, makes me realize how bad this site has become.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 224 Private Messages kylemittskus

I have no idea what this guy (^^^) is so pissed about.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

redwinefan

quality posts: 74 Private Messages redwinefan

If we get a $5 all you can ship day during a Wine Woot off, I suspect very few people will have anything left to complain about

"You need to invest in a corkscrew. Wine is for drinking." -- Peter Wellington

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
redwinefan wrote:If we get a $5 all you can ship day during a Wine Woot off, I suspect very few people will have anything left to complain about

I would complain about being poor.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

tytiger58

quality posts: 73 Private Messages tytiger58
kylemittskus wrote:I have no idea what this guy (^^^) is so pissed about.

Big brother conspiracy theory.

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

cmaldoon

quality posts: 61 Private Messages cmaldoon
keithnowak7 wrote:
TL:DR winedavid cashes his check, regardless of the salt water he sells (which, this is not.) but, to see that mentality from you, makes me realize how bad this site has become.

Having had a chance to talk with WD face to face at significant length about the business, I have seen personally that he is committed and passionate about the work he does. He brings in fantastic deals ( even his worst are as good as most other sites when you count shipping), winemakers, and community together.

What other sites have this kind of community or wine maker interaction? There is more to wine than JUST the quality of the grapes. Wine is about people and food too. WD cultivates the community. If you ever go to or *gasp* even host a woot gathering, you'll find out. What sets woot apart from Cindy and lot18 and invino is that there is this community and interaction. Woot had it first and woot has it best.

Yes the plus deals are a different business model and if you don't like them, don't buy them but really they are pretty much wine club pricing with woot shipping. The standard deal a day wine woot is still there and offering solid QPR.

Some people buy by the %off numbers, if you don't, then simply ignore them. Focus on what information you need to decide on a purchase. If information is missing, by all means, ask in the forums or if it is perpetually missing, give the staff that feed back. I get extraneous information on every offer: the ship-to list is pretty much moot for a CA wooter but I don't complain, it is not for me.

My one complaint with the new system is the lack of a built in discussion for the woot plus deals. This already has a temporary fix in place thanks to TT and Cats.

Bottom line, wine woot is still wine woot. They are still bringing in some of the best deals available (show me better) EVERY DAY and on top of that they still have this fantastic community.

So if you have an issue with woot or amazon, fine. Tell it straight and back it up. On the other hand, don't go slandering WD with baseless accusations on a public forum. That's just not cool.

2014 - 10 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot)
Last purchase: 3/4/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl.
2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
Bungled Original Communicator 2 My Cellar

kylemittskus

cmaldoon is the f***ing man!

MarkDaSpark

kylemittskus wrote:I have no idea what this guy (^^^) is so pissed about.

Ditto. And didn't have a clue as to where to start to respond to him. Just glad someone (cmaldoon) knew how to respond.

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 499 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

cmaldoon wrote:Very nice response

Come here, you. I want to give you a hug!

As to the linked discussion threads... they're waiting their turn in the development queue. In the meantime, Inky & I will work together to make sure you have something to tide you over.

rpm

quality posts: 163 Private Messages rpm
cmaldoon wrote:Having had a chance to talk with WD face to face at significant length about the business, I have seen personally that he is committed and passionate about the work he does. He brings in fantastic deals ( even his worst are as good as most other sites when you count shipping), winemakers, and community together.

What other sites have this kind of community or wine maker interaction? There is more to wine than JUST the quality of the grapes. Wine is about people and food too. WD cultivates the community. If you ever go to or *gasp* even host a woot gathering, you'll find out. What sets woot apart from Cindy and lot18 and invino is that there is this community and interaction. Woot had it first and woot has it best.

Yes the plus deals are a different business model and if you don't like them, don't buy them but really they are pretty much wine club pricing with woot shipping. The standard deal a day wine woot is still there and offering solid QPR.

Some people buy by the %off numbers, if you don't, then simply ignore them. Focus on what information you need to decide on a purchase. If information is missing, by all means, ask in the forums or if it is perpetually missing, give the staff that feed back. I get extraneous information on every offer: the ship-to list is pretty much moot for a CA wooter but I don't complain, it is not for me.

My one complaint with the new system is the lack of a built in discussion for the woot plus deals. This already has a temporary fix in place thanks to TT and Cats.

Bottom line, wine woot is still wine woot. They are still bringing in some of the best deals available (show me better) EVERY DAY and on top of that they still have this fantastic community.

So if you have an issue with woot or amazon, fine. Tell it straight and back it up. On the other hand, don't go slandering WD with baseless accusations on a public forum. That's just not cool.

I mostly agree with this.

I'd an observation: in addition to the wine glut having diminished, the have been a series of not particularly interesting years, especially for reds, which adds to the difficulty of maintaining high Q to P ratios -- there is a lot less good juice around now than there was 3-5 years ago. I see this as much more an issue with reds which will continue for some time. Once the 2007s are gone from the distribution channels....

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

MaskedMarvel

quality posts: 11 Private Messages MaskedMarvel
MarkDaSpark wrote:I think some of us haven't been commenting as much in the main wine threads due to there being so many offers each week. As in, it was easier to comment when there were only 3 or so offers per week, but once we went to 1 a day, it became harder to check the wine threads every day.

And with even more offers each week, it's even harder. I used to check the wine threads every day, but when it went to one a day, it became too much time involved.

Now it's usually only a drive-by when it's a wine or varietal I like.

Very simply, this I why I don't post anymore.

Sense of "Community" is very watered down now.

kevin0425

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kevin0425

I have liked the wine.woot site for a long time as it gives me greater access to boutique wines than I would normally get (and I live in No. California). The new site is way too busy though and I too have noticed the price per bottle going up since I first started buying here.

My biggest problem with woot right now is the dismal customer service. I posted here: http://wine.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=5042090 about my order never getting to me from the last wine.woot woot-off and after getting an email from a CSR I immediately sent off a response only to have that go into the woot email black hole as well. At this point I'd just like to get my money back because I can drive to the tasting room in about 75 minutes and actually BUY the wine and take it home as opposed to having my money held hostage for over a month. Woot, I have been a customer since 2004 and you're seriously about to lose me forever.

North316

kevin0425 wrote:I have liked the wine.woot site for a long time as it gives me greater access to boutique wines than I would normally get (and I live in No. California). The new site is way too busy though and I too have noticed the price per bottle going up since I first started buying here.

My biggest problem with woot right now is the dismal customer service. I posted here: http://wine.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=5042090 about my order never getting to me from the last wine.woot woot-off and after getting an email from a CSR I immediately sent off a response only to have that go into the woot email black hole as well. At this point I'd just like to get my money back because I can drive to the tasting room in about 75 minutes and actually BUY the wine and take it home as opposed to having my money held hostage for over a month. Woot, I have been a customer since 2004 and you're seriously about to lose me forever.

I'm not sure what the disconnect here is, but I can say without a doubt that Woot has the absolute best customer service I have dealt with in all of my years of buying online. If you have a case number just send an email through the customer service link on the webpage. I did have one instance where I tried to reply directly to an email and it got caught in their spam filter.

My CT

blaculadave

quality posts: 12 Private Messages blaculadave

Staff

kevin0425 wrote:I have liked the wine.woot site for a long time as it gives me greater access to boutique wines than I would normally get (and I live in No. California). The new site is way too busy though and I too have noticed the price per bottle going up since I first started buying here.

Sorry about that. It looks like our email system received your message from 6/18...it just never told us about it. Someone should be responding back to you in just a few moments.

mother

quality posts: 14 Private Messages mother
North316 wrote:I'm not sure what the disconnect here is, but I can say without a doubt that Woot has the absolute best customer service I have dealt with in all of my years of buying online. If you have a case number just send an email through the customer service link on the webpage. I did have one instance where I tried to reply directly to an email and it got caught in their spam filter.

I don't know what to tell you but that you must be incredbily lucky!

Woot! customer service is stellar once you manage to get in touch with them. However it is too often an exercise in patience (nee futility).

Since this has been that way for YEARS I'm going to say it's broken by design ;)

Oh and keithnowak7 - you can collectively bite every one of us who has ever met David.

North316

mother wrote:I don't know what to tell you but that you must be incredbily lucky!

Woot! customer service is stellar once you manage to get in touch with them. However it is too often an exercise in patience (nee futility).

Since this has been that way for YEARS I'm going to say it's broken by design ;)

Oh and keithnowak7 - you can collectively bite every one of us who has ever met David.

I've always gotten a response within an hour or two sending an inquiry, other than the one time my email got caught in their spam filter.

My CT

kevin0425

North316 wrote:I've always gotten a response within an hour or two sending an inquiry, other than the one time my email got caught in their spam filter.

Well I just got an email this morning apologizing for the late response and initiating a full refund. I'm sorry folks for the negativity, it's just been irritating.

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
mother wrote:I don't know what to tell you but that you must be incredbily lucky!

Thank you! WD is a great guy AND he gets me good deals on wine? I'm proud to call him not only my dealer, but my friend!

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

Winedavid39

quality posts: 180 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

bhodilee wrote:Thank you! WD is a great guy AND he gets me good deals on wine? I'm proud to call him not only my dealer, but my friend!

Beer tastes good in Omaha.

tiger7610

quality posts: 15 Private Messages tiger7610

My only complain about wine.woot is my latest experiece with the Twisted Oak shipping where I got my shipping notification after the wine has already been delivered, this was very annoying because I was abroad, and was waiting for the notification so I can have the wine shipped to the local fedex store. Instead of it hanging out on the local fedex truck for a few days.

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
Winedavid39 wrote:Beer tastes good in Omaha.

Especially Victory Beer!

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

kevin0425

tiger7610 wrote:My only complain about wine.woot is my latest experiece with the Twisted Oak shipping where I got my shipping notification after the wine has already been delivered, this was very annoying because I was abroad, and was waiting for the notification so I can have the wine shipped to the local fedex store. Instead of it hanging out on the local fedex truck for a few days.

I'll say this about the Twisted Oak Syrah: I'm already three bottles down and it's been fantastic. I can't wait to get more.

tiger7610

quality posts: 15 Private Messages tiger7610

Didnt get the Syrah, I"m just worried about the wine being cooked.

msruru

quality posts: 15 Private Messages msruru

Isn't it time for some Woot Celler's wine...I'm holding out...waiting...waiting.....

kylemittskus

msruru wrote:Isn't it time for some Woot Celler's wine...I'm holding out...waiting...waiting.....

F-Bomb was just a month ago.

msruru

quality posts: 15 Private Messages msruru
kylemittskus wrote:F-Bomb was just a month ago.

Yes, but I read a post, somewhere, or an email, or something about a month ago that said there would be some Woot Cellers offers this summer.

cmaldoon

quality posts: 61 Private Messages cmaldoon
msruru wrote:Yes, but I read a post, somewhere, or an email, or something about a month ago that said there would be some Woot Cellers offers this summer.

Yep, that's likely. I'm not surprised that we haven't seen one 6 days into the season though. Perhaps there will be one in late July. Maybe a Madeira style that can take the heat in shipping :-). Mmmm tasty

2014 - 10 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot)
Last purchase: 3/4/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl.
2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
Bungled Original Communicator 2 My Cellar

redwinefan

msruru wrote:Yes, but I read a post, somewhere, or an email, or something about a month ago that said there would be some Woot Cellers offers this summer.

I'm guessing the Sonoma Tasting they are lining up probably involves a coming Woot Cellars offering.

MarkDaSpark

Okay, new irritation during Wine.Woot-offs.

If you're giving us a "Waiting List" response when we order, why isn't the item Sold Out 5 minutes (10 now) later? It's been hovering at the 2% left mark for a long time (Wellington Zin), but I got the "You're on the Waiting List" more than 5 minutes ago.

I can understand a small delay, but this has gone beyond that.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 499 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

MarkDaSpark wrote:Okay, new irritation during Wine.Woot-offs.

If you're giving us a "Waiting List" response when we order, why isn't the item Sold Out 5 minutes (10 now) later? It's been hovering at the 2% left mark for a long time (Wellington Zin), but I got the "You're on the Waiting List" more than 5 minutes ago.

I can understand a small delay, but this has gone beyond that.

Food feedback. I sent your comments in and already heard back that they're working on fixes to some Waiting List issues.

MarkDaSpark

ThunderThighs wrote:Food feedback. I sent your comments in and already heard back that they're working on fixes to some Waiting List issues.

Thanks!!

Funny thing is, I saw it was at 2%, so I thought I'd help move the WWO along. Then got the "on the Waiting List", and still saw it not moving 5 and 10 minutes later.

I can understand the need to have a couple of extra orders in case someone gets declined, but this just seemed excessive.

Plus having to sign in every time to order or check on my orders is getting to cause me enough grief that I really don't want to order at all.

klezman

quality posts: 113 Private Messages klezman
MarkDaSpark wrote:Plus having to sign in every time to order or check on my orders is getting to cause me enough grief that I really don't want to order at all.

Yes, this. I really miss the simplicity the former site design enabled. Signing in every time I want to do anything is beyond annoying.

2014: 17 bottles. Last wine.woot: Wellington Vitory x3 & Fjellene Walla Walla Reds
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

MarkDaSpark

Do Not Like the percentages now listed instead of the actual numbers sold of each Woot.

I would not like them here or there.
I would not like them anywhere.
I Do Not Like Percentages.

cjsiege

quality posts: 13 Private Messages cjsiege

I'm seeing patterns in the offerings, and I'm wondering if this is an experiment, or if this will be a sales model for the foreseeable future. Patterns like: Gourmet Thursday (long standing pattern), Black Tie every 10 days (used to be a weekly thing), International Saturday, Half/Full Case Saturday, Mid-week Whites (Tuesdays or Wednesdays)

Not sure if this is coincidence or strategy. It's lot a "sure thing" (except for the Thursday thing), but it's close enough to perhaps be a pattern. I'm not bored enough to try to do a regression ananlysis...

cortot20

quality posts: 110 Private Messages cortot20
cjsiege wrote:I'm seeing patterns in the offerings, and I'm wondering if this is an experiment, or if this will be a sales model for the foreseeable future. Patterns like: Gourmet Thursday (long standing pattern), Black Tie every 10 days (used to be a weekly thing), International Saturday, Half/Full Case Saturday, Mid-week Whites (Tuesdays or Wednesdays)

Not sure if this is coincidence or strategy. It's lot a "sure thing" (except for the Thursday thing), but it's close enough to perhaps be a pattern. I'm not bored enough to try to do a regression ananlysis...

It used to be
Monday - often times a case deal or favorite winery
Tuesday - Black tie
Wen - anything
Thursday - non wine
Friday - anything
Sat. - International
Sun. - anything

CT

klezman

quality posts: 113 Private Messages klezman
MarkDaSpark wrote:Do Not Like the percentages now listed instead of the actual numbers sold of each Woot.

I would not like them here or there.
I would not like them anywhere.
I Do Not Like Percentages.

Agreed. I'd be curious to see both, but it's way more interesting to see the real numbers. Curious wooters want to know!

2014: 17 bottles. Last wine.woot: Wellington Vitory x3 & Fjellene Walla Walla Reds
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

bkarlan

quality posts: 46 Private Messages bkarlan
klezman wrote:Agreed. I'd be curious to see both, but it's way more interesting to see the real numbers. Curious wooters want to know!

I had no clue what you all were talking about until I went to check on a wine order that mysteriously shipped, but didn't ship.

You are right and I don't like it. I miss seeing how many items were sold. The % are interesting, but the numbers were more insightful.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse..." - John Stuart Mill

cjsiege

quality posts: 13 Private Messages cjsiege

FEWER POLLS! The threads they spawn are clogging up the w.o.w.w tab's first page. Besides, the polls were a lot more interesting when they had more thought put into them. Many of the polls seem to be slapped together in a "oh, crap! it's almost noon and we need to put up a new poll" fashion.

redwinefan

cjsiege wrote:FEWER POLLS! The threads they spawn are clogging up the w.o.w.w tab's first page. Besides, the polls were a lot more interesting when they had more thought put into them. Many of the polls seem to be slapped together in a "oh, crap! it's almost noon and we need to put up a new poll" fashion.

Yes, one poll a week seems fine.