kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus

I feel like we have had a rather wide range of offers, even with the new site, and the QPR hasn't changed much at all. Aged can offering associated with SH, low production Paso wine yesterday, Raised By Wolves which everyone said is great QPR, higher end wines like today's offer, Ty a while ago.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

jmdavidson

quality posts: 57 Private Messages jmdavidson
cjsiege wrote:How fortuitous that this is up on wine.woot today. A colleague and I recently shared this wine over dinner. My colleague(~D~) is relatively new to wine, and I’m a Rhone Ranger at heart. Let me pull together our consolidated tasting notes.

I had the bottle sitting open for about 30 minutes before we poured. We wrote tasting notes for “straight out of the bottle”, “one pass thru a vinturi”, and “with dinner”.

Based on our experience with the Vinturi, I think this wine is at peak. I would not hold it for the long run. Personally, I would consume it between now and Christmas (and it would probably work well with your Christmas roast).

Thanks for your input. It helps all of us with our decision. Bring back the lab rats!

mschauber

quality posts: 40 Private Messages mschauber

Do we know yet if the box bounces at 10% left like the old oval did?

--
Hey you, out there in the cold; Getting lonely, getting old; Can you feel me? - Pink Floyd/Roger Waters
My CT

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
mschauber wrote:Do we know yet if the box bounces at 10% left like the old oval did?

I can't imagine it changed. But God, hope for a quick sellout so we all don't start seizing.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

Cyradia

quality posts: 29 Private Messages Cyradia
Symbolic2007 wrote:Which was the very first thing I did after browsing this new mess of a website.

Symbolic2007, don't you understand? The moderators are just suggesting that we post on the appropriate board so that the staff can conveniently get all of the information they need to make their decision in one place. I mean, it would be incredibly rude to create a situation where someone had to click through multiple pages to find relevant information in a confusing navigation situation...don't you think? Information could get lost and the user might not consider it all before just giving up on the situation! I mean, I wouldn't want that kind of inconvenience to be handed to anybody...but especially not the web designers responsible for this new lay-out, don't you agree?

bkarlan

quality posts: 46 Private Messages bkarlan

What a great picture. Props to the camera guy. I live Syrah. Absolutely love it and WD and the shipping crews have made summer buying even better. I have too much Syrah right now, but if anyone in Albuquerque wants to sell off 1 bottle, I will take it.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse..." - John Stuart Mill

rjquillin

quality posts: 173 Private Messages rjquillin
Cyradia wrote: I mean, it would be incredibly rude to create a situation where someone had to click through multiple pages to find relevant information in a confusing navigation situation...don't you think? Information could get lost and the user might not consider it all before just giving up on the situation! I mean, I wouldn't want that kind of inconvenience to be handed to anybody...but especially not the web designers responsible for this new lay-out, don't you agree?

Rather like the TWENTY-THREE pages of "stuff you bought" I now have to click thru to find something that used to be on one page...

CT

nfurlong

quality posts: 1 Private Messages nfurlong
Symbolic2007 wrote:Just to stay on track with the wine though; way out of my wine budget and give us more sake! That I will pay $25/bottle for if it's good enough.

I've also noticed the jump in $/bottle lately, which explains my not having bought in awhile. None of the Woot-Pluses offer more than a 25% discount.

Question for fellow wine wooters: Am I the only one who automatically skips a wine "deal" if it's only 25% off?

If others feel as I do, then I'm not sure Woot did their customer research when developing Woot-Plus.

mschauber

Cyradia wrote:Symbolic2007, don't you understand? The moderators are just suggesting that we post on the appropriate board so that the staff can conveniently get all of the information they need to make their decision in one place. I mean, it would be incredibly rude to create a situation where someone had to click through multiple pages to find relevant information in a confusing navigation situation...don't you think? Information could get lost and the user might not consider it all before just giving up on the situation! I mean, I wouldn't want that kind of inconvenience to be handed to anybody...but especially not the web designers responsible for this new lay-out, don't you agree?

Touche

--
Hey you, out there in the cold; Getting lonely, getting old; Can you feel me? - Pink Floyd/Roger Waters
My CT

nfurlong

jhrdy724 wrote:a little light google has shed on your issue:

Problem

Solution

An even better rule of thumb is to match your wine to the sauce, not the meat. A cab will match well with a marinara chicken, for instance, and even a zin would go well with Cajun spiced catfish. 'Course if you hate whites and prefer reds, for instance, then drinking reds with everything is the way to go.

mschauber

nfurlong wrote:I've also noticed the jump in $/bottle lately, which explains my not having bought in awhile. None of the Woot-Pluses offer more than a 25% discount.

Question for fellow wine wooters: Am I the only one who automatically skips a wine "deal" if it's only 25% off?

If others feel as I do, then I'm not sure Woot did their customer research when developing Woot-Plus.

I wouldn't say it's a hard and fast rule, but in general, I agree. Since for the most part winery pricing is extremely high to begin with, to get into the reasonably priced realm, they have to take 30%+ off. While I don't like the woot plus stuff as a concept since it's nothing more than a way for woot/amazon to get their hands on extra dough, the least they could do is still offer half decent discounts off retail.

As for daily deals, you're not catching my attention unless I see a minimum of 40% off and 50% is really where I think the sweet spot starts. And while I have bought plenty of deals at less than 30-40%, it's been the community discussion and vintner participation that have sold me. Something that has seriously decreased with this new site design.

--
My CT

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
nfurlong wrote:I've also noticed the jump in $/bottle lately, which explains my not having bought in awhile. None of the Woot-Pluses offer more than a 25% discount.

You have to look at woot plus like this (for wine), because that is basically what it is: It is wine club pricing at Woot shipping prices. While I would absolutely love to see to 40% discount in Woot Plus deals, it won't happen often. I look at it as additional access to winery offerings which won't get listed as daily deals due to no profit for the winery or just not enough quantity. It also gives us the opportunity to purchase at basically the wineries club pricing, while only paying woot's shipping price and without having to commit to a full-year of an actual club membership. With that being said, I won't be "taking chances" on unknown wines/wineries on Woot Plus deals because the deep discounts just aren't there. I will only buy what I know.

I would feel bad about derailing the conversation once again, but I don't see any winery reps around answering questions so I don't really feel bad.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

tercerowines

quality posts: 36 Private Messages tercerowines
North316 wrote:You have to look at woot plus like this (for wine), because that is basically what it is: It is wine club pricing at Woot shipping prices. While I would absolutely love to see to 40% discount in Woot Plus deals, it won't happen often. I look at it as additional access to winery offerings which won't get listed as daily deals due to no profit for the winery or just not enough quantity. It also gives us the opportunity to purchase at basically the wineries club pricing, while only paying woot's shipping price and without having to commit to a full-year of an actual club membership. With that being said, I won't be "taking chances" on unknown wines/wineries on Woot Plus deals because the deep discounts just aren't there. I will only buy what I know.

I would feel bad about derailing the conversation once again, but I don't see any winery reps around answering questions so I don't really feel bad.

A couple of things:

2007 was an AWESOME year throughout CA for nearly every category of wine - period! Most wines are long lived, and I would think that this one will be as well. I noted in Cellartracker that not only did Richard Jennings rate it, but that the Rhone Report did as well - and I really dig what Jeb Dunnuck has to say about all things rhone . . .

As far as 'discounts' go, if you're looking for 40% off and higher on woot+ deals, you will probably end up getting only 'close outs' as opposed to current offerings. I can tell you first hand that many wineries simply cannot make much money with a discount like that (when you get that kind of discount, please remember that not all the proceeds go directly to the winery!!!). Each winery needs to pay for shipping of our wines to wine.woot's warehouse so that they can consolidate stuff. And not all of us price our wines that high to start with (-:

Just another data point in the discussion . . .

Cheers!

Larry Schaffer
tercero wines
www.tercerowines.com
larry@tercerowines.com

mschauber

tercerowines wrote:A couple of things:

2007 was an AWESOME year throughout CA for nearly every category of wine - period! Most wines are long lived, and I would think that this one will be as well. I noted in Cellartracker that not only did Richard Jennings rate it, but that the Rhone Report did as well - and I really dig what Jeb Dunnuck has to say about all things rhone . . .

As far as 'discounts' go, if you're looking for 40% off and higher on woot+ deals, you will probably end up getting only 'close outs' as opposed to current offerings. I can tell you first hand that many wineries simply cannot make much money with a discount like that (when you get that kind of discount, please remember that not all the proceeds go directly to the winery!!!). Each winery needs to pay for shipping of our wines to wine.woot's warehouse so that they can consolidate stuff. And not all of us price our wines that high to start with (-:

Just another data point in the discussion . . .

Cheers!

Appreciate a little info on the behinds the scenes process. Seems to me that if the winery isn't close enough for face to face delivery from winery to Wine Country, that if the winery were to ship to the customer themselves, not only would shipping be faster, but total shipping costs would be reduced because it's now direct from winery instead of winery to Wine Country then to customer. In addition, total labor hours would be reduced because instead of the winery packaging and shipping once and THEN Wine Country unpacking, packaging, and shipping a 2nd round, the later could be eliminated.

Now I realized that causes a problem for Wine Country because they wouldn't get their cut, but from a price, profit, and consumer point of view, it seems to make a lot of sense. Of course Wine Country could still provide some logistical services, for which they could get paid.

--
My CT

mrn1

quality posts: 3 Private Messages mrn1

While not a comment on today's wine.......

I love this place, but am really getting bummed out. I haven't hit the button too many times but I read this blog on an ongoing basis. I rave to other wine friends about Woot, and many have joined the ranks. I love the deals, but love you guys even more. If you leave guys Woot, can I come with you? Where willyou go?

mschauber

Something about this offer kept drawing me in, so I pulled the trigger.

Last wooter to woot:mschauber
Last purchase:12 minutes ago

--
My CT

nfurlong

Symbolic2007 wrote:As for today's grape deal, I feel it's absolutely ludicrous to ask that kind of money for a spilled bottle of wine.

I'm no forensics expert, but that looks way too viscous for wine. It looks more like (gasp) blood! :-) Seriously, did they use paint for the pic? It was very well done, whatever they used.

mschauber

nfurlong wrote:I'm no forensics expert, but that looks way too viscous for wine. It looks more like (gasp) blood! :-) Seriously, did they use paint for the pic? It was very well done, whatever they used.

Corn syrup... Looks like blood and can flavor your ice cream at the same time ;)

--
My CT

redwinefan

quality posts: 74 Private Messages redwinefan
nfurlong wrote:I'm no forensics expert, but that looks way too viscous for wine. It looks more like (gasp) blood! :-) Seriously, did they use paint for the pic? It was very well done, whatever they used.

They didn't want to waste the precious wine! Smart photographer.

"You need to invest in a corkscrew. Wine is for drinking." -- Peter Wellington

tercerowines

quality posts: 36 Private Messages tercerowines
mschauber wrote:Appreciate a little info on the behinds the scenes process. Seems to me that if the winery isn't close enough for face to face delivery from winery to Wine Country, that if the winery were to ship to the customer themselves, not only would shipping be faster, but total shipping costs would be reduced because it's now direct from winery instead of winery to Wine Country then to customer. In addition, total labor hours would be reduced because instead of the winery packaging and shipping once and THEN Wine Country unpacking, packaging, and shipping a 2nd round, the later could be eliminated.

Now I realized that causes a problem for Wine Country because they wouldn't get their cut, but from a price, profit, and consumer point of view, it seems to make a lot of sense. Of course Wine Country could still provide some logistical services, for which they could get paid.

I simply cannot compete with the prices that wine.woot offers for shipping costs - no how, no way. They are able to cut costs waaay down based on volume - something I just can't do with my little ole wine label .. .

Cheers!

Larry Schaffer
tercero wines
www.tercerowines.com
larry@tercerowines.com

redwinefan

quality posts: 74 Private Messages redwinefan
tercerowines wrote:I simply cannot compete with the prices that wine.woot offers for shipping costs - no how, no way. They are able to cut costs waaay down based on volume - something I just can't do with my little ole wine label .. .

I hope this means we get a Tercero WootPlus boutique soonish. I've really been enjoying the last Tercero Woot offer. Can't wait to visit the tasting room.

"You need to invest in a corkscrew. Wine is for drinking." -- Peter Wellington

tytiger58

quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58

I will be happy to pay full price for Tercero wines if I can get Woot shipping

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 564 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Hey all. There's some great and interesting discussion going on here about the site, photos, shipping, pricing, and Woot Plus.

The problem is that it's hard for us to keep track of your feedback when it's in different product threads.

Sooooooooooo, I've started a thread where you can share those ideas, suggestions, complaints, and concerns in one concentrated thread that we can more easily monitor.

How about it?

Feel free to repost any thing from this thread into that. Again, it's going to be easier for us to refer back to posts if they're in one thread.

THANKS!

FORUM MODERATOR............................ON VACATION
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

Winedavid39

quality posts: 200 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

mschauber wrote:Hopefully WineDavid is reading and realized that we want different types of deals (better QPR, higher discounts, more variety, etc) than the new woot has offered to date.

As for sake... I have to assume they have something planned since sake.woot.com has been live for a number of months now, although it currently only redirects to wine.woot.

yes, i sure am (listening that is).