Quality Posts

Cesare

quality posts: 1674 Private Messages Cesare

Hughes Family Vineyards Syrah 3-Pack
$69.99 (Normally $120.00) 42% off List Price
2007 Hughes Family Vineyards Syrah
CT link above

Winery website

Summer shipping is in effect so don't worry about your wine.
Every winery needs a separate license from each state which is why your state isn't listed.

For discussion threads on the Plus Deals use the following links:
Sapphire Hill
Vina Robles

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

cortot20

quality posts: 158 Private Messages cortot20

Seems like this should be black tie status. But I could be wrong it is a mystery to me sometimes.

CT

cortot20

quality posts: 158 Private Messages cortot20
Cesare wrote:Hughes Family Vineyards Syrah 3-Pack
$69.99 (Normally $120.00) 42% off List Price
2007 Hughes Family Vineyards Syrah
CT link above

Winery website

The only review on the CT link is from the exalted Richard Jennings and his 29,000+ tasting notes. He's a MACHINE.

CT

coyotelawyer

quality posts: 1 Private Messages coyotelawyer

Trepidation aside, this seems like a nice buy for drinking in the next few years and the organic nature/ethic of the owners makes me compelled to give it a try...have no idea how to "rat" but would be willing if someone sez to do so.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 604 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

coyotelawyer wrote:Trepidation aside, this seems like a nice buy for drinking in the next few years and the organic nature/ethic of the owners makes me compelled to give it a try...have no idea how to "rat" but would be willing if someone sez to do so.

Please come back and leave your tasting notes on this wine. Wooters almost always look back to previous sales for comments from previous buyers.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

pangalmin

quality posts: 2 Private Messages pangalmin

[sentamental rant]
This looked like one bottle for $70. I miss the good old days where what you saw was what you got, even if it was only a quarter bottle instead of 750mL. [/sentamental rant]

hiten900

quality posts: 10 Private Messages hiten900
pangalmin wrote:[sentamental rant]
This looked like one bottle for $70. I miss the good old days where what you saw was what you got, even if it was only a quarter bottle instead of 750mL. [/sentamental rant]

Same impression, thought that woot was offering one bottle. We are creatures of habit.
I get the feeling that the new woot has somewhat more expensive wines in terms of price per bottle.
I do miss the cleaner look of the old site. I don't miss the purple/redddish back ground of the humurous text. I do miss the fact that all the text is not visible.

Cyradia

quality posts: 30 Private Messages Cyradia
hiten900 wrote:Same impression, thought that woot was offering one bottle. We are creatures of habit.
I get the feeling that the new woot has somewhat more expensive wines in terms of price per bottle.
I do miss the cleaner look of the old site. I don't miss the purple/redddish back ground of the humurous text. I do miss the fact that all the text is not visible.

Cosign. I keep thinking, "you're being a fuddy duddy and you'll get used to this design"...but I haven't. I'm having such a hard time with this super busy lay-out that I'm even subconsciously resisting. I don't even remember to check woot daily, and it used to be an automatic habit.

Bione

quality posts: 28 Private Messages Bione
Cyradia wrote:Cosign. I keep thinking, "you're being a fuddy duddy and you'll get used to this design"...but I haven't. I'm having such a hard time with this super busy lay-out that I'm even subconsciously resisting. I don't even remember to check woot daily, and it used to be an automatic habit.

I thought it was just me - I've left a few bits of choice feedback for Woot. Yesterday it was impossible to work out what the blend was in the bottle! I was saved by the comments (thank you, commenters) and managed to avoid picking my way through tabs to find information that wasn't there.

I get it: the new layout *is* more attractive, but it's less useful.

trenton21

quality posts: 0 Private Messages trenton21

I admit I'm not a wine person by any stretch but James Bond seemed to have something to say on the matter of pairing red wine with fish in "From Russia with Love". Is the writeup a faux pas or is red wine with fish a misnomer? I'd hate to think that 007 could ever lead me astray but anything is possible.

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
Cyradia wrote:Cosign. I keep thinking, "you're being a fuddy duddy and you'll get used to this design"...but I haven't. I'm having such a hard time with this super busy lay-out that I'm even subconsciously resisting. I don't even remember to check woot daily, and it used to be an automatic habit.

I pretty much agree here. While all of the same information is there, and really not even that difficult to navigate, I just don't "like" having to click a bunch to find what I want. I prefer the old format of everything on one page! It wasn't pretty, but it was effective, which is all that matters.

My biggest gripe lately has been just the offers in general. I can't put my finger on the exact reason for this, as it is not exactly because the offers don't interest me. While it may not even be true, it "feels" like the participation has just died down after the site changed.

It also seems like it is very rare to find on offer less than $60 now. Per bottle rates seem consistent but all offers just seem to be bigger. I realize this is probably necessary in order to maximize profits on the sales (due to shipping costs), but it is very prohibitive to people like myself who are out to try new things and get some variety. I would much rather buy smaller quantities of many different offerings than larger quantities of only a few offerings. More variety packs would be good too.

Sorry for the tangent, now back to our regularly scheduled programming.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

oncman

quality posts: 2 Private Messages oncman

Couldn't agree more!

cjsiege

quality posts: 14 Private Messages cjsiege

How fortuitous that this is up on wine.woot today. A colleague and I recently shared this wine over dinner. My colleague(~D~) is relatively new to wine, and I’m a Rhone Ranger at heart. Let me pull together our consolidated tasting notes.

I had the bottle sitting open for about 30 minutes before we poured. We wrote tasting notes for “straight out of the bottle”, “one pass thru a vinturi”, and “with dinner”.

Straight out of the bottle: This wine is a dark, blue-purple color . There is sediment in the bottle – so be aware that it is unfined. On the nose, I was finding blackberry, earthy-mushroom, and a spice combination (black pepper, clove, hint of nutmeg). ~D~ was finding the same dark berry notes, a hint of smoke, black pepper, and a hard-to-define “deep bold” aroma. On the palate, we both were noting dark fruit. I noted some sour cherry – which we think translated to “tangy” in ~D~’s notes (she profusely apologizes for the lack of better descriptors – but I think she’s doing great for a newbie). The finish is “medium” for lack of better terms from both of us. Not overly long, but certainly more than “short”. I noticed that the wine tends to concentrate at the front of the mouth. It’s * not* hollow on the palate, but it’s very much activating the front of the tongue. Moreso than I would have expected.

Pass thru Vinturi: Passing through the vinturi did not make a positive difference. It actually hurt this wine. The berry flavors shifted from dark fruit to brighter red fruit – red raspberry primarily. The black pepper stood out more, and we both lost the earthy/smoky and the spice/clove/nutmeg notes. The finish shortened noticeably and the taste profile moved even more to the front of the tongue (bordering on hollow palate for me). ~D~ was visibly not thrilled with how the aeration suppressed the flavors. Truthfully, neither was I.

With food: This is when the wine really started to shine. We had agreed on BBQ takeout from Smokey Bones for dinner – since syrah tends to go really well with grilled and meaty dishes. We had pulled pork, BBQ chicken, fire roasted corn, and cole slaw. This wine worked *very well* with our dinner. It had enough backbone to stand up to the BBQ sauce. Truly wonderful with the chicken and the corn. And it had enough oomph to handle the “sandwich” (pulled pork, sauce, and cole slaw on top of grilled garlic toast). I’ve got to hand it to a wine that can shine through *that* food profile!

Based on our experience with the Vinturi, I think this wine is at peak. I would not hold it for the long run. Personally, I would consume it between now and Christmas (and it would probably work well with your Christmas roast).

jhrdy724

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jhrdy724
trenton21 wrote:I admit I'm not a wine person by any stretch but James Bond seemed to have something to say on the matter of pairing red wine with fish in "From Russia with Love". Is the writeup a faux pas or is red wine with fish a misnomer? I'd hate to think that 007 could ever lead me astray but anything is possible.

a little light google has shed on your issue:

Problem

Solution

burrnini

quality posts: 10 Private Messages burrnini
North316 wrote:It also seems like it is very rare to find on offer less than $60 now. Per bottle rates seem consistent but all offers just seem to be bigger. I realize this is probably necessary in order to maximize profits on the sales (due to shipping costs), but it is very prohibitive to people like myself who are out to try new things and get some variety. I would much rather buy smaller quantities of many different offerings than larger quantities of only a few offerings. More variety packs would be good too.

My sentiments exactly. The extra offers are even worse at this in my opinion. I would love more $40-50 deals of mixed red wine.

NBKDC68

quality posts: 1 Private Messages NBKDC68

Agree, agree, agree, and AGREE, way too busy, do not like the new format. Now, help me out here, maybe I'm missing it, but what's the alcohol content please?

rjquillin

quality posts: 183 Private Messages rjquillin
Bione wrote:I thought it was just me - I've left a few bits of choice feedback for Woot. Yesterday it was impossible to work out what the blend was in the bottle! I was saved by the comments (thank you, commenters) and managed to avoid picking my way through tabs to find information that wasn't there.

And bring back out TIME STAMPS.
Remember those, the ones that had a DATE and TIME.
When, exactly, was 19 hours ago...?
I'm challenged doing clock subtractions to see when a post was made.

CT

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
rjquillin wrote:And bring back out TIME STAMPS.
Remember those, the ones that had a DATE and TIME.
When, exactly, was 19 hours ago...?
I'm challenged doing clock subtractions to see when a post was made.

Hey folks, this is awesome feedback - but we really should stay on track with the Syrah here.

This is a good feedback thread, and also please remember to send ALL your feedback (good, bad, indifferent, confused and enlightened) through the beta feedback button.*

*please note due to volume on both the thread above and the beta feedback button that individual replies cannot be promised, but developers and other relevant parties are reading every single thing going through

Thanks, and now back to your ordinarily scheduled wine thread.

I'm just hanging out, really.

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
NBKDC68 wrote:Agree, agree, agree, and AGREE, way too busy, do not like the new format. Now, help me out here, maybe I'm missing it, but what's the alcohol content please?

It's not here or on their website.

Also, Ceasar if you see this, you are missing the additional info in your post.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
North316 wrote:It's not here or on their website.

Also, Ceasar if you see this, you are missing the additional info in your post.

Pinged someone to get the alcohol content query answered, hope that helps a little.

I'm just hanging out, really.

flanagantv

quality posts: 0 Private Messages flanagantv

Would love to hear thoughts about this Hughes wine....Worth it? Skip it?
Thanks

beilrj

quality posts: 0 Private Messages beilrj

Completely concur. Find myself acting the same.

neilfindswine

quality posts: 173 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

inkycatz wrote:Pinged someone to get the alcohol content query answered, hope that helps a little.

14.25% is what I'm told...

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

Cyradia

inkycatz wrote:Hey folks, this is awesome feedback - but we really should stay on track with the Syrah here.

I apologize for helping get the thread off-topic. I have been a good woot monkey and added my feedback to the 20+ forum pages of passionate wooters all saying almost the exact same thing. It's good to hear someone is thoughtfully reading all of the pages and pages the customer base has taken the time to write out.

It's good to have that out-of-the-way outlet for all of those comments in one spot, so that you can use your prominent forums to focus exclusively on trying to sell goods.

On the plus side, the site feedback comments doubled the forum activity so far!

cjsiege

flanagantv wrote:Would love to hear thoughts about this Hughes wine....Worth it? Skip it?
Thanks

Please see my tasting notes above. If I've described a wine that is to your palate, at the w.w price point I'd rate it as an acceptable deal. I would not be willing to pay more than this price per bottle.

bblewitt

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bblewitt

I do not like the new format at all. It's completely off what I want Woot to be. I'm on to the other site(s) for my wine.

flanagantv

quality posts: 0 Private Messages flanagantv
cjsiege wrote:Please see my tasting notes above. If I've described a wine that is to your palate, at the w.w price point I'd rate it as an acceptable deal. I would not be willing to pay more than this price per bottle.

I read your notes above- that's a big help. Thanks a lot!

baristaboss58

quality posts: 4 Private Messages baristaboss58
cjsiege wrote:Please see my tasting notes above. If I've described a wine that is to your palate, at the w.w price point I'd rate it as an acceptable deal. I would not be willing to pay more than this price per bottle.

I would like to say thank you as well. Appreciate your comntributions.

mschauber

quality posts: 40 Private Messages mschauber
Bione wrote:

I completely disagree. The new layout is not more attractive. It's busy, areas aren't well defined, more clicks are required to get basic info. It's been a real turn off. Woot is all about advertising now. I only hope that there will still be some high quality wines at reasonable prices (high discounts) still. So far, the new wine.woot has proven to be a venue for higher priced wines.

I do agree that all in all, the new design is much less useful. Including the lack of tracking #'s in shipment notifications.

The only improvement, IMHO, is easy navigation to all woot sites from all woot pages.

The monkey has lost it's identity. The woot plus items have altered the site tremendously. What they should have done is used the woot plus to offer items that didn't sell out during the previous 24 hrs. Again, IMHO. I'm all about quality over quantity, but consumer based businesses like woot are all about quantity over quality.

--
Hey you, out there in the cold; Getting lonely, getting old; Can you feel me? - Pink Floyd/Roger Waters
My CT

Cyradia

mschauber wrote: I'm all about quality over quantity, but consumer based businesses like woot are all about quantity over quality.

Yeah...I came to a similar conclusion about what was really bugging me when I was writing my last post on this thread (right now it's the very last post on the entire thread)....

http://www.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=5019773&PageIndex=20&ReplyCount=781

mschauber

Back to today's offer:

The obligatory drinking window question: Would like to hear what the vintner thinks.

Thank you to @cjsiege for sharing yours and your friends notes. Very helpful. I have found that a quality Syrah generally get's better with age and often regret not waiting another year to drink.

PS: Will this go as well with potato latkes for Hanukkah as it will the roast for Christmas? ;) ;)

--
Hey you, out there in the cold; Getting lonely, getting old; Can you feel me? - Pink Floyd/Roger Waters
My CT

Symbolic2007

quality posts: 9 Private Messages Symbolic2007
inkycatz wrote:Hey folks, this is awesome feedback - but we really should stay on track with the Syrah here.

Ha! We w00ters prefer our riotous protests to be heard aloud on every street corner in the city, not tucked away in a suggestion box.

W00ters will not go gentle into that good night.
The quality of old deals should burn and rave at close of day!
Rage, raaage against the dying of the w00t!

As for today's grape deal, I feel it's absolutely ludicrous to ask that kind of money for a spilled bottle of wine.

Metal is awesome, it's super-powerful and emotional, but at the end of the day we're dudes with long hair and guitars going "RAAAAAR!" -Devin Townsend

mschauber

Cyradia wrote:Yeah...I came to a similar conclusion about what was really bugging me when I was writing my last post on this thread (right now it's the very last post on the entire thread)....

http://www.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=5019773&PageIndex=20&ReplyCount=781

I've avoided that thread under the assumption that it either would never be read or at least wouldn't be taken seriously. But I've caved and shared my opinion.

I was excited to see the new site design and was soooo disappointed when it took me longer to figure out how to get info on the deal than it did to place an order (especially since they no longer require the CCs security code, presumably b/c Amazon doesn't, but which itself is a major step back for internet security.)

--
My CT

kylemittskus

quality posts: 232 Private Messages kylemittskus

The Syrah people! The Syrah!

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

sdilullo

quality posts: 37 Private Messages sdilullo
mschauber wrote:I completely disagree. The new layout is not more attractive. It's busy, areas aren't well defined, more clicks are required to get basic info. It's been a real turn off. Woot is all about advertising now. I only hope that there will still be some high quality wines at reasonable prices (high discounts) still. So far, the new wine.woot has proven to be a venue for higher priced wines.

I do agree that all in all, the new design is much less useful. Including the lack of tracking #'s in shipment notifications.

The only improvement, IMHO, is easy navigation to all woot sites from all woot pages.

The monkey has lost it's identity. The woot plus items have altered the site tremendously. What they should have done is used the woot plus to offer items that didn't sell out during the previous 24 hrs. Again, IMHO. I'm all about quality over quantity, but consumer based businesses like woot are all about quantity over quality.

This pretty much sums up how I feel.

Although I still check on every offer daily (via RSS) I really haven't spent much time here since the redesign. Way too busy and I really, really, really don't like having to click all over the place to get information that used to always be in one spot.

my CT | bottles wooted to date: 255
my flying adventures | a mile of road will take you a mile, but a mile of runway will take you anywhere.

Gatzby

quality posts: 43 Private Messages Gatzby
Symbolic2007 wrote:Ha! We w00ters prefer our riotous protests to be heard aloud on every street corner in the city, not tucked away in a suggestion box.

W00ters will not go gentle into that good night.
The quality of old deals should burn and rave at close of day!
Rage, raaage against the dying of the w00t!

As for today's grape deal, I feel it's absolutely ludicrous to ask that kind of money for a spilled bottle of wine.

Heh, if you use the beta feedback tool, I guarantee you your feedback is being used. It helps us create a searchable index we can use to make arguments for changes -- customer feedback really is one of our most important pieces of data. We're asking you to use those tools because we *need* your opinions.

Did you know shirt.woot ships internationally? Get you some!
Why do my posts always get deleted? -- Noise Reduction -- Try it in podcast format.
No, you can't have our iPod, keys, or Lego. Sorry.

Symbolic2007

quality posts: 9 Private Messages Symbolic2007
Gatzby wrote:Heh, if you use the beta feedback tool, I guarantee you your feedback is being used. It helps us create a searchable index we can use to make arguments for changes -- customer feedback really is one of our most important pieces of data. We're asking you to use those tools because we *need* your opinions.

Which was the very first thing I did after browsing this new mess of a website. But inciting change also relies heavily on a very clearly seen and supported public demonstration. It tells others they are not alone and it's okay to speak up. It lets us share ideas with fellow consumers, not just those who run the place. And reiterating my previous point, the site change is so outrageously horrible, I will not be ponied into a single pen to talk about it with my peers in the corner.

I realize Woot staffers probably have little control anymore and are stuck between a rock (us) and a hard place (Amazon). So here, now you can show your corporate overlords that our outrage is spilling over into every other deal posted on the site. And if Amazon has nothing to do with, shame on W00t. *tsk, tsk*

Just to stay on track with the wine though; way out of my wine budget and give us more sake! That I will pay $25/bottle for if it's good enough.

Metal is awesome, it's super-powerful and emotional, but at the end of the day we're dudes with long hair and guitars going "RAAAAAR!" -Devin Townsend

mschauber

Symbolic2007 wrote:
Just to stay on track with the wine though; way out of my wine budget and give us more sake! That I will pay $25/bottle for if it's good enough.

Hopefully WineDavid is reading and realized that we want different types of deals (better QPR, higher discounts, more variety, etc) than the new woot has offered to date.

As for sake... I have to assume they have something planned since sake.woot.com has been live for a number of months now, although it currently only redirects to wine.woot.

--
My CT

cjsiege

mschauber wrote:Back to today's offer:

The obligatory drinking window question: Would like to hear what the vintner thinks.

Thank you to @cjsiege for sharing yours and your friends notes. Very helpful. I have found that a quality Syrah generally get's better with age and often regret not waiting another year to drink.

PS: Will this go as well with potato latkes for Hanukkah as it will the roast for Christmas? ;) ;)

If your latkes have some nice onion bits in them and are fried to the crispy side, it should. It should also go well with a cheese plate. Not with sweets, though.

It should also be fabulous with brisket. Or a chicken or beef tagine (if you want a moroccan spin on your dreidel). I'm not sure about lamb. I'm more of a Malbec with lamb person, myself.