Lang Wines 2008 Sausalito Zinfandel
CT link above

Winery website

Previous offer:
11/8/11

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus

Before anyone mentions any concerns about screw caps:

http://recordfamilywines.files.wordpress.com/2011/10/screwcap_study.pdf

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

rjquillin

quality posts: 170 Private Messages rjquillin

Enjoyed my other Lang purchases, but haven't yet popped this Zin from a previous Jan 19th mixed woot at the same price. Will have to pnp tomorrow if it lasts that long.

CT

parkermc

quality posts: 23 Private Messages parkermc

Seriously? Mint and pomegranate? Wine.Woot never stops tempting me with new and unusual Zins. As for the screw cap - you've been spying on me and know the only space I have left would be for vertical bottle storage, right? Yeah, I'm wise to you!

andy325i

quality posts: 1 Private Messages andy325i

Awesome. I loved all Lang wines, but for some reason this one stood out amongst the other "higher end" bottles.

Less raisneny than the other zins iform the winery and just an incredibly complex yet easy drinking zin. Not the typical spice and nice cali zin.

mschauber

quality posts: 40 Private Messages mschauber

Previous offer (part of Lang red wines 4 pack.) Labrat report included. 11-8-2011

Also offered on: 1-29-2012

--
Hey you, out there in the cold; Getting lonely, getting old; Can you feel me? - Pink Floyd/Roger Waters
My CT

N_Jay

quality posts: 0 Private Messages N_Jay

For a second though I was Sausalito canyon, but it is not.

LuckySlevin

quality posts: 1 Private Messages LuckySlevin

Having recently been on a CA wine-country visit, I can highly recommend Little Vineyards and Kaz Winery, as well (should they ever come up on Wine.Woot... or, if you'd care to peruse their sites). After multiple stops and tastings, I recall passing through (or near??) Sausalito... and trying to convince everyone that it means "little sausage"... Sadly, it doesn't (but it should!). As it turns out, "sausalito," in Spanish, translates to "sausalito," in English. Same goes for Italian. hahaha. Sorry... perhaps a location thing... (had to be there...)

sokky81

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sokky81
LuckySlevin wrote:Having recently been on a CA wine-country visit, I can highly recommend Little Vineyards and Kaz Winery, as well (should they ever come up on Wine.Woot...

What part of CA wine Area?

hiten900

quality posts: 10 Private Messages hiten900
mschauber wrote:Previous offer (part of Lang red wines 4 pack.) Labrat report included. 11-8-2011

Also offered on: 1-29-2012

Previous offers were for a set of 4 of which only 1 was this specific wine. Though folks left good comments about the other wines, this one does not get much coverage. Looks like this wine was the "small" brother to the bigger and better wines in those woot offers.

Any tasting note on this wine will be appreciated!

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 181 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

Happy Father's Day!!!

Whether Grilling, Chilling, or Vegging out ... Happy Father's Day!!!

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

langwine

quality posts: 7 Private Messages langwine

For years, Winemaker Mark McKenna and I have sought out family owned vineyards in the Sierra Foothills, tended by dedicated owners who understand they are growing not just grapes, but wine. Every year we work with these growers to harvest fruit at its optimum maturity. While some relate ripeness with sweetness (Brix), maturity and flavors are also determined by vine health, crop load, seasonal temperatures and especially the remaining moisture in Amador County’s deep granitic soils, all critical values that vary from year-to-year and must be continuously and properly managed for optimum results. We blended this Zinfandel with 4% Petite Sirah to enrich the color and add a hint of smokiness. A touch of Barbera accentuates the bing cherry flavors. Bursting with cherry, pomegranate, and mint aromas, rich, well-structured and silky smooth, this wine is drinking beautifully right now. The additional bottle-age has allowed the various flavor components to begin to 'marry' together, providing the layers of complexity we have come to expect in wines that begin with the very best fruit avaiable. It is always stressful to wait at harvest-time, but consistent gold and silver medal winning Zinfandels (this wine has three silvers) are the reward for that patience - Mark McKenna, Winemaker and Bob Lang, owner, Lang Wines.

neilfindswine

quality posts: 170 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

Bob Lang's wines always deliver in the QPR department (and are always well-received here on Woot), and he's one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet.

The Sausalito label is a limited release he does to celebrate the work of local artist George Sumner. The wine in the bottle is the same as the '08 Lang Wines Zinfandel, we've had this wine as well as the '07 Lang Zin on Woot prior.

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

langwine

Thanks for the good words, but you'll have to check with wife Marsha regarding the 'nice guy' moniker.

Sausalito Wines was the first company name we used when founding Lang Wines in 1983. We were living in Sausalito, and there we met environmental artist George Sumner and his wife Donnalei. To make a long story short, George is still painting surreal visions of the bridge, most recently to commemorate the bridge's 75th annivesary celebration this year. His earlier painting used for this label is titled, "Sail Away," something that all of us who live on or near the water, have at times dreamed of doing.

One more thing; Sausalito was originally named Saucelito by Spanish explorers, meaning, "little willow;" willow trees oft-times mark the presence of water, and the little willow in Sausalito's 'Old Town' led to a spring that for many years provided spring water to not only the locals, but by boat & wagon to others around the bay.

dannkatt

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dannkatt

I've not had this, but the Lang Barbera mini-vertical was my first woot. After opening the first bottle and pouring a glass, my wife proclaimed it "the best American wine she's ever had" (she's an Italy wine snob). She inquired how much it had cost, and when I told her, she expressly forbid me to ever buy wine from the supermarket again.

So, I've got standing orders to buy Lang whenever it comes up.

losthighwayz

quality posts: 59 Private Messages losthighwayz

Thanks for jumping on board! Would you describe this zin as jammy? Is it full, medium, or light bodied? Finally, what food would you
Air it with? Tanks

"The older I get the better I was"

langwine

losthighwayz wrote:Thanks for jumping on board! Would you describe this zin as jammy? Is it full, medium, or light bodied? Finally, what food would you
Air it with? Tanks

Our 2008 Sausalito Wines Zin is very much "...in the family" of all our present & previous Zins;and we think that'a a big plus. Medium to full-bodied, excellent deep ruby color, good spicy nose and oak-tinged flavors of Bing cherries, and yes, pomgranate and mint, ,low tannins and a long satisfying finish.

As for what foods it might go well with: As a Zinfandel fan & producer, I get a little peeved when wine writers automatically consign most all Zinfandels to "...hamburgers, pizza and grandma's meat loaf. Many Zins, and especially the Lang Zins, go very well with most red meats, for example pan-roasted steaks where a Zinfandel-based pan sauce is being added. This Zin will easily stay with and complement a cracked black pepper encusted fillet mignon, sauteed rare, removed from the pan (keep warm & reserve the juices); then to the hot skillet add chopped shallots, a little chopped garlic, saute a minute, add some Zinfandel, simmer down to a teaspoon or so, add heavy cream, bring to a boil, add slices of cold butter, swirl & stir to emulsify, add back in the meat juices, stir & pour all the sauce over the steaks. Serve & enjoy with this Zinfandel (It's not for wimps)Fantastic!

Of course, you can always pay a lot more for a lot less; but that wouldn't be a wooter.

neilfindswine

quality posts: 170 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

langwine wrote:
As for what foods it might go well with: As a Zinfandel fan & producer, I get a little peeved when wine writers automatically consign most all Zinfandels to "...hamburgers, pizza and grandma's meat loaf. Many Zins, and especially the Lang Zins, go very well with most red meats, for example pan-roasted steaks where a Zinfandel-based pan sauce is being added. This Zin will easily stay with and complement a cracked black pepper encusted fillet mignon, sauteed rare, removed from the pan (keep warm & reserve the juices); then to the hot skillet add chopped shallots, a little chopped garlic, saute a minute, add some Zinfandel, simmer down to a teaspoon or so, add heavy cream, bring to a boil, add slices of cold butter, swirl & stir to emulsify, add back in the meat juices, stir & pour all the sauce over the steaks. Serve & enjoy with this Zinfandel (It's not for wimps)Fantastic!

Of course, you can always pay a lot more for a lot less; but that wouldn't be a wooter.

...I drink vodka with Grandma's meatloaf...

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

rjquillin

quality posts: 170 Private Messages rjquillin

[mini-rat]

Found it, after only about a 10 minute search, first success.

Nice easy twist of, second success.

Pnp, no decant. Nice color, not inky dark, but a nice mellow red, perhaps just a touch of something not red; showing a bit of age? But as I've not seen this younger I have no basis for comparison.

Not a typical CA jammy Zin. Not getting pepper either. Cherries, tart cherries, and yes, mint. Nice mouth feel too. Plenty of fresh fruit, but not at all, or even close to a bomb, good balance and well integrated tannins all melding together. Definitely, drinking well now and should be for the foreseeable near future, but I do like a bit of bottle age.

This drinks well on it's own, and I'll see later how it holds up to a grilled top sirloin, bleu. Given the delicacy of this, not sure I'd pair it up with some of the heavier fare normally associated with Zins.

Yup, glad this came up and I found my single.
Not sure why I waited, now I have more. Drinks above it's price point. Thanks for the replay WD.

Last Wooter to Woot: rjquillin

CT

dianefreda

quality posts: 9 Private Messages dianefreda
rjquillin wrote:[mini-rat]

Found it, after only about a 10 minute search, first success.

Nice easy twist of, second success.

Pnp, no decant. Nice color, not inky dark, but a nice mellow red, perhaps just a touch of something not red; showing a bit of age? But as I've not seen this younger I have no basis for comparison.

Not a typical CA jammy Zin. Not getting pepper either. Cherries, tart cherries, and yes, mint. Nice mouth feel too. Plenty of fresh fruit, but not at all, or even close to a bomb, good balance and well integrated tannins all melding together. Definitely, drinking well now and should be for the foreseeable near future, but I do like a bit of bottle age.

This drinks well on it's own, and I'll see later how it holds up to a grilled top sirloin, bleu. Given the delicacy of this, not sure I'd pair it up with some of the heavier fare normally associated with Zins.

Yup, glad this came up and I found my single.
Not sure why I waited, now I have more. Drinks above it's price point. Thanks for the replay WD.

Last Wooter to Woot: rjquillin

This sounds like something I would really like but alas, I will not be home to recieve-please have it again.

langwine

neilfindswine wrote:...I drink vodka with Grandma's meatloaf...

So does Grandma...

langwine

Thanks Wooters!

Marsha & I and our Winemaker Mark McKenna have enjoyed this opportunity to share our Sausalito Wines 2008 Zinfandel with a great community of wine-lovers! We hope to visit with you all again soon!

Bob & Marsha Lang