WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Scott Harvey Wines

Anyway, It's good to see Scott Harvey making wine instead of selling his soul on that Family Feud show. What? That's Steve Harvey? Oh. Well, still; good for Scott Harvey.
Scott Harvey Wines website

Quality Posts

tiger7610

quality posts: 17 Private Messages tiger7610

For a second I thought I would be ordering more wine, but this is a bit too rich for me as much as I love Scott's wine. I was hoping for his Jana riesling

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz

Facebook
Twitter

I'm just hanging out, really.

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316

DAMN

YOU

SCOTT

HARVEY

I want all of these. The inzinerator is delicious, and who doesn't want a double-mag?

The Eis Wine is one of the best dessert wines I have tasted (had this in Wooster in April). It is still not cheap at this price, but worth the price and I think I will be divorced if I do not purchase this for my wife.

I haven't tried this syrah yet, but I do have some and it is probably fantastic.

And then the icing on the cake is the reserve old vine zin, which is still my favorite wine to-date, and in a magnum.

Like tiger, I was really hoping for some Jana Riesling, but these deals are probably going to kill me.

EDIT: And to boot, I just noticed Gunnar Glasses on woot at ridiculous prices. I've debating a pair of those for 2 years now.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

North316

Questions for Scott:

I see this is the 2010 Old Vine Reserve, how would you compare this to the 2009?

Same for the Eis Wine, I don't remember what vintage was served in Wooster, but I don't think it was 2010 (the flyer says 2006), how would this compare?

My CT

rjquillin

quality posts: 183 Private Messages rjquillin
North316 wrote:DAMN

YOU

SCOTT

HARVEY

I want all of these. The inzinerator is delicious, and who doesn't want a double-mag?

And these are all at or below club pricing, with woot shipping as well,
except the 2010 OVZ that I don't even see yet.
Damn!

CT

inkycatz

North316 wrote:The Eis Wine is one of the best dessert wines I have tasted (had this in Wooster in April). It is still not cheap at this price, but worth the price and I think I will be divorced if I do not purchase this for my wife.

I'd start to wail because I shouldn't*, but on the other hand, North, I trust you.

Don't let me down, man.

* Small apartment, etc.

bkarlan

quality posts: 46 Private Messages bkarlan

in for 2 woots of Eis. Thanks again Scott and Woot. You all never stop to amaze me. I have negative room in my coolers. I need to drink 20 bottles now.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse..." - John Stuart Mill

klezman

quality posts: 129 Private Messages klezman

The Angel Ice is certainly tempting...but then again, coming from the land of Icewine it's hard to like these as much as the real deal. I'm going to think on it...thankfully I'vegot a few days to decide

2014: 42 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2012 Iron Horse Estate Chardonnay
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

inkycatz

klezman wrote:The Angel Ice is certainly tempting...but then again, coming from the land of Icewine it's hard to like these as much as the real deal. I'm going to think on it...thankfully I'vegot a few days to decide

I thought about doing that as well, but for the fact it is Friday, I have a busy weekend ahead and well, Scott Harvey wines.

c-c-c-combo!

North316

klezman wrote:The Angel Ice is certainly tempting...but then again, coming from the land of Icewine it's hard to like these as much as the real deal. I'm going to think on it...thankfully I'vegot a few days to decide

I'm sure that Scott will comment on this, but I do recall that his discussion in Wooster was that he typically does not/cannot have a natural freeze on his Eis Wine, and instead has to commercially freeze them to achieve the "Ice Wine" affect. He did note, however, that he actually prefers this method because he can then pick the grapes at what he deems to be the optimal ripeness and can retain the true flavors and acidity of the varietal. For those who don't know, Scott started out his education in Germany and as such, is very true to the German style in his Riesling.

My CT

bkarlan

quality posts: 46 Private Messages bkarlan

Wife leaves next Saturday for Germany on a business trip. A few bottles of Eis will be on her to do list to bring back.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse..." - John Stuart Mill

liverman

quality posts: 16 Private Messages liverman

Thank goodness I have no way of using large bottle like this. No way I can manage a 3L bottle. The 1.5 is possible, but I am full of Zins.

I can easily avoid this temptation. Today.

Regards,

Greg

klezman

quality posts: 129 Private Messages klezman
North316 wrote:I'm sure that Scott will comment on this, but I do recall that his discussion in Wooster was that he typically does not/cannot have a natural freeze on his Eis Wine, and instead has to commercially freeze them to achieve the "Ice Wine" affect. He did note, however, that he actually prefers this method because he can then pick the grapes at what he deems to be the optimal ripeness and can retain the true flavors and acidity of the varietal. For those who don't know, Scott started out his education in Germany and as such, is very true to the German style in his Riesling.

From my several conversations with Scott on this matter, you are portraying it correctly. Nowhere in California can get a hard freeze needed for true icewine (at least nowhere that really grows grapes). Guaranteed he gets more controlled results, but I'm a Niagara Icewine devotee, having grown up with it - like it better than the German stuff too.

2014: 42 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2012 Iron Horse Estate Chardonnay
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

kylemittskus

quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus
klezman wrote:...but I'm a Niagra Icewine snob....

Fixed for you.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

dalematthew

quality posts: 24 Private Messages dalematthew

Need some help with the 08 Mountain Syrah.

I've been on the hunt for something I could keep for my son's 21st bday (he was born in 08). Really wanted to get Twisted Oak's River of Skulls as he's a huge pirate fan - but Jeff was very upfront on that one probably not having the legs to last that long.

I see this offering and tell my wife - wow this would be cool with the size of the bottle maybe it could go the distance. Listen to Scott's vmail and he says 2028 - bam this could be perfect and I love me a Syrah being from Aus.

I actually have a bottle of this unopened at home but can't access it to try it out (ironically just landed in Aus for vaca today).

So - has anyone tried this and could provide an informal rattage? Wil it really go that long?

Problem number 2 - daughter was born in 04. Any recommendations?

Edit: I went in for one. Make me feel good about it please Also - any 04 recommendations?

kylemittskus

dalematthew wrote:Edit: I went in for one. Make me feel good about it please Also - any 04 recommendations?

The large format will certainly allow it to age longer. And on top of that, Scott is traditionally trained; he makes good, acidic, age-worthy wines (for the appropriate varietals). You're good.

As far as 2004, Sauternes is ALWAYS a safe bet for long-term aging. The go-to is Chateau d'Yquem. I'm sure you could find an 04 on the secondary market.

mrlbem

quality posts: 4 Private Messages mrlbem

I've had the syrah from the barbera/syrah offering and it really packs a punch. Very full bodied and would be a perfect wine for a BBQ. Curious as to why it's designated as an "old world style" wine on the back of the bottle. To me, the syrah screams "new world." I'd be interested in hearing Scott's explanation. But be it old world or new, the syrah is fantastic.

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 187 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
inkycatz wrote:I'd start to wail because I shouldn't*, but on the other hand, North, I trust you.

Don't let me down, man.

* Small apartment, etc.

You won't be sorry. Besides, tell yourself that these are smaller bottles!!!

Normally, most Ice Wines are too syrupy for me, but Scott does this one very nicely.

2010 Jana Angel Eis CT Link (says Ice there).

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

InFrom

quality posts: 33 Private Messages InFrom

So I was looking at that Syrah -- looks like Scott is signing them. Is that a standard sig, or will you do special requests for your Wooty friends?

dalematthew

kylemittskus wrote:The large format will certainly allow it to age longer. And on top of that, Scott is traditionally trained; he makes good, acidic, age-worthy wines (for the appropriate varietals). You're good.

As far as 2004, Sauternes is ALWAYS a safe bet for long-term aging. The go-to is Chateau d'Yquem. I'm sure you could find an 04 on the secondary market.

Thanks for the tip - any recommendations on best place to buy on the secondary market? Was thinking it would be cool if Scott did an 04 of this one too.

dalematthew

InFrom wrote:So I was looking at that Syrah -- looks like Scott is signing them. Is that a standard sig, or will you do special requests for your Wooty friends?

I thought having it signed by Scott was cool, but to get a personalized one would be even cooler! Happy 21st Birthday Will!

North316

dalematthew wrote:Thanks for the tip - any recommendations on best place to buy on the secondary market? Was thinking it would be cool if Scott did an 04 of this one too.

Winebid.com

My CT

mschauber

quality posts: 40 Private Messages mschauber

I've been SOOOO good. Haven't ordered any wine in two weeks.

And then Scott had to come along and offer one of my must buys (Angel Eis...) Argh....

I knew these non-traditional woot offers were a bad idea... Damn you woot....

But I was good, only went in for 1 considering the HUGE cost per bottle.

With this and the June Scott Harvey wine club shipment coming soon, I hope to be finished buying for at least a month.... I can always dream, right?

Thank you Scott for offering this up

--
Hey you, out there in the cold; Getting lonely, getting old; Can you feel me? - Pink Floyd/Roger Waters
My CT

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 32 Private Messages ddeuddeg
kylemittskus wrote:As far as 2004, Sauternes is ALWAYS a safe bet for long-term aging. The go-to is Chateau d'Yquem. I'm sure you could find an 04 on the secondary market.

Normally, I'd agree, but 2004 doesn't seem to have been such an age-worthy year for Sauternes in general. Winebid.com doesn't show any this week, but who knows about the weeks to come? Another good bet might be vintage Port.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

kylemittskus

ddeuddeg wrote:Normally, I'd agree, but 2004 doesn't seem to have been such an age-worthy year for Sauternes in general. Winebid.com doesn't show any this week, but who knows about the weeks to come? Another good bet might be vintage Port.

Ah, good info D-Dog. See, this is why this place is amazing -- all the knowledge. I know nothing about Sauternes so I was just throwing it out there as the go-to birth year bottle. (Hopefully 2012 will turn out to be a stellar year so I can stock up for 21 years from now. )

Port would definitely be another great contender, but it sounds like 2004 Port is in the same place as the 2004 Sauternes vintage:

Of the two dozen 2004 VPs I tasted for this article, I found that 13 of the 24 would have the aging potential to improve while cellaring for at least twenty years. Many of the others either lacked the type of tannins and/or requisite acidity level that will enable these Ports to improve for two decades or longer. The beauty of the 2004 vintage is the symmetry these VPs deliver on the palate as well as the "approachability factor." Nearly half of all the 2004s I tasted, won't make for old bones but will make for very enjoyable drinking while they are young. And I am not talking about drinking them in 2007, although you certainly could enjoy the expressive upfront fruit profiles many will exhibit this young. But from about 12-18 years of age, (2016-2022)

This quote was taken from this website which goes on to review some 2004s, which may be of some assistance in looking for a specific bottle/producer.

dalematthew

kylemittskus wrote:This quote was taken from this website which goes on to review some 2004s, which may be of some assistance in looking for a specific bottle/producer.

Great info guys - love this place. Will keep my search going.