WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Iron Horse Vineyards

If you ask us, a name like "Iron Horse" sounds kinda, well, mean. Like maybe you'd call some grizzled old war vet the Iron Horse, or a battleship or something. But it turns out it's also the name for a nice little winery making some great wines. Check it out:

Quality Posts

iByron

quality posts: 40 Private Messages iByron

Is the Golden Gate Cuvée a rosé? The tasting notes suggest that it might be, but no where in any description does it say.

iByron's iCellar (I'm a reciprocal CT Cellar Buddy)

Your Private WIneaux

Cesare

quality posts: 1642 Private Messages Cesare

Ends on June 8 at 9AM CT

Iron Horse Golden Gate Cuvée Rosé 2-Pack
$74.99 (Normally $100.00) 25% off List Price
2 2007 Iron Horse Golden Gate Cuvée 750ml
CT link above

Iron Horse Golden Gate Cuvée Rosé Jeroboam (Double Magnum)
$379.99 (Normally $475.00) 20% off List Price
2007 Iron Horse Golden Gate Cuvée Jeroboam 3L (Double Magnum)
CT link above

Iron Horse Wedding Cuvée 2-Pack
$54.99 (Normally $76.00) 28% off List Price
2 2007 Iron Horse Wedding Cuvée 750ml
CT link above

Iron Horse Wedding Cuvée Jeroboam (Double Magnum)
$289.99 (Normally $375.00) 23% off List Price
2007 Iron Horse Wedding Cuvée Jeroboam 3L (Double Magnum)
CT link above

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

dalematthew

quality posts: 23 Private Messages dalematthew

Quick question as to a "drink by date". After participating in some earlier woot offerings - looking to determine how many more to buy based off how long we'd take to drink them.

Very interested in a comparison of the golden gate to the wedding (if in fact they are comparable) - my wife absolutely loved the wedding cuvée we picked up earlier!

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42
iByron wrote:Is the Golden Gate Cuvée a rosé? The tasting notes suggest that it might be, but no where in any description does it say.

Well, according to cesare's CT link it is. And cesare is never wrong.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316

Why is there such a premium on the double-mags? I can see a little up-charge, but they are both two and a half times as much as it would cost to buy 4 750ml bottles. Is there something about bubblies that makes double-mags cost so much more to produce?

Other than that, I'm interested in Wedding Cuvee. I bought some that last go around (paired with Brut) and was saving it for my anniversary. This may give me reason to try it now and just buy more.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 185 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
North316 wrote:Why is there such a premium on the double-mags? I can see a little up-charge, but they are both two and a half times as much as it would cost to buy 4 750ml bottles. Is there something about bubblies that makes double-mags cost so much more to produce?

Other than that, I'm interested in Wedding Cuvee. I bought some that last go around (paired with Brut) and was saving it for my anniversary. This may give me reason to try it now and just buy more.

Some of the increase in cost is probably due to the fact that the Jeroboams are etched and not normal paper labels.

Etched 750ml bottles are always more expensive than normal bottles, so that would translate for the larger bottle sizes as well.

But those etched bottles are really cool!

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

iByron

HitAnyKey42 wrote:Well, according to cesare's CT link it is. And cesare is never wrong.

My reading on the IH site suggests that it's a Blanc de Noirs (like the Wedding Cuvée).

They indicate their Brut Rosé as a rosé and put it in the (somewhat) traditional (for high end rosés) clear bottle. Plus their Rosé has a deep color which this doesn't seem to have.

Perhaps the winery will be by to confirm one way or the other.

Your Private WIneaux

MarkDaSpark

iByron wrote:My reading on the IH site suggests that it's a Blanc de Noirs (like the Wedding Cuvée).

They indicate their Brut Rosé as a rosé and put it in the (somewhat) traditional (for high end rosés) clear bottle. Plus their Rosé has a deep color which this doesn't seem to have.

Perhaps the winery will be by to confirm one way or the other.

One of the tasting notes in CT noted a "Light salmon color", so sounds (and looks per the pic) to be a Rosé.

However, I'm more worried about the "Nice mouse." the same poster noted.

(I'm pretty sure they meant "Nice mouth.", darn "smart"phones.)

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

iByron

MarkDaSpark wrote:One of the tasting notes in CT noted a "Light salmon color", so sounds (and looks per the pic) to be a Rosé.

Typical color for a Black de Noirs. See also the tasting note for the Wedding that indicates a "lovely rosy color."

Your Private WIneaux

MarkDaSpark

iByron wrote:Typical color for a Black de Noirs. See also the tasting note for the Wedding that indicates a "lovely rosy color."

The Iron Horse Store page on the 2007 Golden Gate Cuvee states:

This Special, limited production, vintage rosé commemorates the 75th anniversary of the Golden Gate Bridge. Iron Horse co-founder Audrey Sterling walked accross the bridge opening day with her father when she was six years old.

So it is indeed, a rosé. Or did I misunderstand your post? Sorry if I did.

McMalbec

quality posts: 8 Private Messages McMalbec

Hmm. Can I get a suitcase/flight plastic bag for a Jeroboam??

beefytaco

quality posts: 7 Private Messages beefytaco
MarkDaSpark wrote:One of the tasting notes in CT noted a "Light salmon color", so sounds (and looks per the pic) to be a Rosé.

However, I'm more worried about the "Nice mouse." the same poster noted.

(I'm pretty sure they meant "Nice mouth.", darn "smart"phones.)

Likely meant mousse, or 'bubble foam'

___
I have two accounts- this 'anonymous' username for commenting, as well as a 'purchasing' account which is my real name. Apologies for the white box on the left.

Also, in the interest of full disclosure- I'm ITB, selling wine for a living. None of my wines have ever been featured on Woot though, so don't fear the shilling.