cjsiege

quality posts: 14 Private Messages cjsiege
North316 wrote:I wanted the grill press, but that was sold out within the first two hours. I tried to get the 5qt dutch oven for my wife, but she wants an enamel covered one.

The enamel ones are nice - esp if you are making a saucey thing where you need to be concerned about reactive ingredients (tomatoes, wine, plutonium, etc.), but they're b*tchin' heavy!

Ooooh! TOP! My first in a while.

eljefetwisted

quality posts: 45 Private Messages eljefetwisted

So, if it's OK to start a discussion about this here... what does everyone think about this woot plus stuff so far?

Jeff Stai, Owner, Twisted Oak Winery
http://www.twistedoak.com/
http://www.facebook.com/twistedoak

Moondragon

quality posts: 8 Private Messages Moondragon
eljefetwisted wrote:So, if it's OK to start a discussion about this here... what does everyone think about this woot plus stuff so far?

Mostly I forget to look at it until everything I want and can afford is sold out. I have a feeling I'll get used to it, but I also miss having the main item's details on the front page. It's only one click away, not a big deal, just different.

cjsiege

quality posts: 14 Private Messages cjsiege
eljefetwisted wrote:So, if it's OK to start a discussion about this here... what does everyone think about this woot plus stuff so far?

I love the fact the offer lasts for several days - like "old wine.woot". It gives us a chance to chat with the winemakers and think a little before pressing the "go" button. I really missed the whole social interaction with the winemakers and the community that we had before.

I don't mind that the discounts may not be as steep on the wine plus deals. I'd rather pay a little higher price and be more certain that I'm getting something I will like.

While I know that woot would love for us to press the button before we've had a chance to think, I like to have a chance to think a bit before putting money on the table.

rjquillin

quality posts: 183 Private Messages rjquillin

Got a question for the "how do you store an open bottle" gurus. After my stop last night at the lockers, and the gift of a nice bottle of vintage port we sampled that remains nearly 90% full, that I don't just want to quaff, this had become front-n-center for me.

I know the vacuum anything gizmos are just that, profit centers for the manufacturers and little more, but an N2 backfill intrigues me and seems worthy of consideration.

So I went to my debris pile in the garage and found a 40Cu/Ft nitrogen bottle with a few hundred pounds left, a regulator, curly hose, nozzle and some Tygon hose. Yup, it was all "in stock", and Ginnie'd up a crude backfill system. Pull the cork, stuff the Tygon in the bottle, flush for a few to ~10 seconds and re-cork.

What say you all?
Anyone have a commercial replication of such a system?
Happy with it.
Am I blowing smoke, or some other substance?

CT

sanity

quality posts: 5 Private Messages sanity

I agree with cj; I understand the deals will be good, maybe not screamin', and that's ok by me, especially if we get some interaction with the winemaker. It's a great way, too, to get some wines from wineries we know and love, though I think there may be diminishing returns for the winemaker over time, especially if deals show up too often, or are not true deals.

sanity

rjquillin wrote:Got a question for the "how do you store an open bottle" gurus.
....snipped....

Here is a link to an experiment Corrado did some time ago. Very interesting, though low-tech compared to your set-up!

kylemittskus

quality posts: 232 Private Messages kylemittskus
rjquillin wrote:What say you all?
Happy with it.

There is a commercial device on the market than does this exact thing. It comes in a can and is used exactly as you did it.

I think your method is better than just oxygen, the fridge will certainly help, but I suggest drinking the port within a week.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

rjquillin

quality posts: 183 Private Messages rjquillin
sanity wrote:Here is a link to an experiment Corrado did some time ago. Very interesting, though low-tech compared to your set-up!

Great link for one that's not been around all that long.
SWMBO has a very low opinion of the rig, especially since it's in the Dining Room.

CT

kylemittskus

rjquillin wrote:Great link for one that's not been around all that long.
SWMBO has a very low opinion of the rig, especially since it's in the Dining Room.

More space friendly.

kylemittskus

sanity wrote:I agree with cj; I understand the deals will be good, maybe not screamin', and that's ok by me, especially if we get some interaction with the winemaker. It's a great way, too, to get some wines from wineries we know and love, though I think there may be diminishing returns for the winemaker over time, especially if deals show up too often, or are not true deals.

I'm with the girls, here. I very much like the Plus addition. (Get it? Eh? )

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 187 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
rjquillin wrote:Got a question for the "how do you store an open bottle" gurus. After my stop last night at the lockers, and the gift of a nice bottle of vintage port we sampled that remains nearly 90% full, that I don't just want to quaff, this had become front-n-center for me.

I know the vacuum anything gizmos are just that, profit centers for the manufacturers and little more, but an N2 backfill intrigues me and seems worthy of consideration.

So I went to my debris pile in the garage and found a 40Cu/Ft nitrogen bottle with a few hundred pounds left, a regulator, curly hose, nozzle and some Tygon hose. Yup, it was all "in stock", and Ginnie'd up a crude backfill system. Pull the cork, stuff the Tygon in the bottle, flush for a few to ~10 seconds and re-cork.

What say you all?
Happy with it.

I just use a 375ml half bottle to store the remains. Less oxygen that way.

When I open a bottle that is ...

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

sukeiasa

quality posts: 7 Private Messages sukeiasa

i'd have to say that i kinda miss the older wine.woot, when we have a few days to look at one wine and do some research.... i know i don't 'have to' research all the plus stuff... but all of a sudden it seems like i gotta do so much more homework :P

wine woot gatherings: manchego dinner, '11 cyber pub bottling, '12 cyber pub bottling, DMV #25, #26, #28, #29, #29.5, #30, NY #19, NY #20; socal #22

eljefetwisted

Thanks for the woot plus feedback. From my perspective it seemed much less "exciting" probably because of the number of days, or maybe because you all kind of know me now. I did miss the frenetic Q&A of a regular wine.woot deal.

MarkDaSpark

Stupidly watching DVR late at night. Just watched the season finale of Happily Divorced and am now craving Pizza.

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

otolith

quality posts: 24 Private Messages otolith
MarkDaSpark wrote:Stupidly watching DVR late at night. Just watched the season finale of Happily Divorced and am now craving Pizza.

You're going to bed just before I get up for work...I'm usually a night owl, and it kills me to get up this early.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
mommadeb1 wrote:can you use cast iron on the flat glass top stoves? I have some cast iron pans, but have been afraid to use on my stove..

The enameled ones are safe for a glass top stove, but only the enameled ones.

Tangent: I despise glass top stoves, hard to clean and can't use my regular Cast Iron.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

bhodilee

eljefetwisted wrote:Thanks for the woot plus feedback. From my perspective it seemed much less "exciting" probably because of the number of days, or maybe because you all kind of know me now. I did miss the frenetic Q&A of a regular wine.woot deal.

That's woot's fault. If they had a discussion thread TIED TO the offering intead of having to search it out you'd have a lot more feedback. This is probably ZERO important to the other woots, but we are nothing like the other woots over here. It is critically important here, and you'd think they'd have implemented it by now, if even just for this particular site.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

sanity

bhodilee wrote:That's woot's fault. If they had a discussion thread TIED TO the offering intead of having to search it out you'd have a lot more feedback. This is probably ZERO important to the other woots, but we are nothing like the other woots over here. It is critically important here, and you'd think they'd have implemented it by now, if even just for this particular site.

Really! They could add a tab to the the top that says Woot Plus Deals. In fact, if I were a winemaker or other supplier, I would insist on it as a way to improve marketing and drive more sales.

bhodilee

sanity wrote:Really! They could add a tab to the the top that says Woot Plus Deals. In fact, if I were a winemaker or other supplier, I would insist on it as a way to improve marketing and drive more sales.

It would be even better if they did that AND put a link to the forum on the front page, kinda like they do the main deal.

sanity

bhodilee wrote:It would be even better if they did that AND put a link to the forum on the front page, kinda like they do the main deal.

Yes, of course; and I visit the main page, click on the woot plus image to check out the deals, and NONE of the links work for the several offerings - all 404 errors, so hopefully "they" are working on it.
On the woot plus page, where all the deals are shown, "discuss this deal" would fit nicely at the top with the title of the deal.

bhodilee

otolith wrote:You're going to bed just before I get up for work...I'm usually a night owl, and it kills me to get up this early.

The fact that you wake up disproves your theory ;)

bhodilee

sanity wrote:Yes, of course; and I visit the main page, click on the woot plus image to check out the deals, and NONE of the links work for the several offerings - all 404 errors, so hopefully "they" are working on it.
On the woot plus page, where all the deals are shown, "discuss this deal" would fit nicely at the top with the title of the deal.

I noticed this, I was enticed by the sandboxes, then realized, for 50 bucks and the cost of a day I could probably build the same thing.

ya know, if i was capable of doing that kind of thing.

Edit: aaaaannndddd, I got returned to the main page. woot servers = problems right now.

chemvictim

quality posts: 3 Private Messages chemvictim

My furniture and assorted "stuff" is coming today! I'm very excited.

otolith

bhodilee wrote:The fact that you wake up disproves your theory ;)

Fortunately!

Love my job, not a huge fan of the hours...

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

eljefetwisted

bhodilee wrote:It would be even better if they did that AND put a link to the forum on the front page, kinda like they do the main deal.

A discussion link on every associated page would definitely be called for. I'll be talking to the powers... thanks!

bhodilee

eljefetwisted wrote:A discussion link on every associated page would definitely be called for. I'll be talking to the powers... thanks!

Sadly, I don't think those powers have much say, otherwise they'd already have forums for + deals on wine.woot. You should threaten Woot's CEO with a rubber chicken, that would get some changes. Send him a headless one that says, + forums now. Maybe stuff it with a bottle of something as a bribe. A threat AND a bribe all in one.

bhodilee

otolith wrote:Fortunately!

I'm the EXACT opposite. I hate this place passionately (well the associated feebs I work for/with) but love the hours. We're not allowed to work over 40 and if we do, it's comp time for the next week. Which is totally against the FLSA, but works in my favor!

chemvictim

quality posts: 3 Private Messages chemvictim
otolith wrote:Fortunately!

My husband had surgery a few months back, and he was freaked out that it was so early in the morning. He didn't want to be the first patient of the day for a possibly sleepy surgeon. It went fine, of course. lol

MarkDaSpark

otolith wrote:You're going to bed just before I get up for work...I'm usually a night owl, and it kills me to get up this early.

Tell me about it!! Of course you have no one to blame but yourself (for scheduling surgery that early, I mean, you are the surgeon, right?).

otolith

MarkDaSpark wrote:Tell me about it!! Of course you have no one to blame but yourself (for scheduling surgery that early, I mean, you are the surgeon, right?).

We usually start at 7:15-30 in the am, which isn't that bad. What sucks is the meetings that start at 6:30am so surgeons can make it...Then, add in rounding at another hospital prior to said 6:30 am meeting, and it becomes a pretty early day.

Thankfully, I don't operate every day of the week, but I am today.

--John Muir

bhodilee

My hands reek of hickory.

bhodilee

rjquillin wrote:Great link for one that's not been around all that long.

soooooooo.......why the HELL do you just have that lying around in the Garage????

We have very, very different garages.

mommadeb1

quality posts: 18 Private Messages mommadeb1

I HATE mornings... I am also a night owl...thank goodness school is out for the kids... now I can sleep in!! (ok, I know it won't happen...but don't destroy my dreams)

mommadeb1

bhodilee wrote:The enameled ones are safe for a glass top stove, but only the enameled ones.

Tangent: I despise glass top stoves, hard to clean and can't use my regular Cast Iron.

I actually like my glass top! I would do gas, but would have to refit the house and pay for a tank to be sunk in my yard...and pay for the gas....

mommadeb1

chemvictim wrote:My furniture and assorted "stuff" is coming today! I'm very excited.

yea!

eljefetwisted

bhodilee wrote:Sadly, I don't think those powers have much say, otherwise they'd already have forums for + deals on wine.woot. You should threaten Woot's CEO with a rubber chicken, that would get some changes. Send him a headless one that says, + forums now. Maybe stuff it with a bottle of something as a bribe. A threat AND a bribe all in one.

I'll be seeing WD next Thursday, I'll bring him a suitable weapon ;)

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22
chemvictim wrote:My husband had surgery a few months back, and he was freaked out that it was so early in the morning. He didn't want to be the first patient of the day for a possibly sleepy surgeon. It went fine, of course. lol

I prefer first surgery. May be sleepy, but no fatigue. And less time of no food. Have to stop eating after midnight whether surgery is 7:00 or 3:00.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22
chemvictim wrote:My furniture and assorted "stuff" is coming today! I'm very excited.

Yeah. Hopefully all smoothly moved into the new home. And no damage. Enjoy sleeping in your own bed.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

joelsisk

quality posts: 10 Private Messages joelsisk
sanity wrote:Really! They could add a tab to the the top that says Woot Plus Deals. In fact, if I were a winemaker or other supplier, I would insist on it as a way to improve marketing and drive more sales.

We had that. "Side Deals" it was called....

Course, you might think that Amazon would be concerned with using the +... isn't that a Google trademark now?