WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Foppiano Vineyards Petite Sirah

As a resident of North Brooklyn, I've been to all the themed bars. The pinball bar, the Post-Soviet Russia bar, the Ladysmith Black Mombazo bar in Bushwick - you name it. But this new library bar is terrible. I mean, they have excellent wine, but they don't let you talk at anything above a whisper. Plus, all the bartenders are shrewish spinsters. Vineyard website: http://www.foppiano.com/

cortot20

quality posts: 139 Private Messages cortot20

These aren't much off of the winery price but they are pre-aged which makes this interesting. The CT link on the 96' has a less than great review and the reviwer seems to think its fading fast. Which is quite opposite to the reviews for the 97.

Has anyone had these and can they expand on whether these are age worthy?

CT

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 181 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

Note that the 1996 is Estate Bottled. The other 2 are Sonoma County.

As to drinking, Kent has mentioned that PS can go thru a "dumb" phase (where the wine is muted) which starts somewhere between 10 and 15 years after vintage, and can last for 5 to 10 years.

So these could be in (or just starting) a "dumb" phase, thus the bad review on CT for the one.

I picked up two sets of the Vertical trio, one set to try now, and one to hold.

And note that you save more by buying the trio.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316

This is an interesting one for me just because it's not often (for me) to get the chance to try something this well-aged. Have to debate on this one, as the pricing isn't spectacular.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

Winedavid39

quality posts: 200 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

i love this deal. Access.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus

Very interesting offer, WD.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

neilfindswine

quality posts: 170 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

When I think about aged wines, I think Bordeaux, Burgundy or maybe a Napa Cab.. but Sonoma Petite Sirah? Not so much...

...but then we tasted these here, and wowza... what a trip. The fruit is still showing nicely in all 3. In the '97, the fruit was surprisingly still in the front seat.. in the '98 and '96, secondary characteristics were sharing the spotlight with the fruit. Others in the office favored the '97 for the strength of the fruit, but I liked the '96 best for it's complexity... leather, a hint of bitter chocolate, earthiness.. all sorts of stuff.

If you're a Petite Sirah fan, or if you enjoy unique tasting experiences, jump on board... you'll enjoy this one. Limited supplies, get 'em here or at the winery, but get 'em while you can,

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

SmilingBoognish

quality posts: 47 Private Messages SmilingBoognish

I'm very tempted by this deal.
I can't comment on these particular wines, but I can say that a visit some friends and I had to Foppiano's tasting room several years ago was exceedingly pleasant. They were friendly and knowledgeable without a hint of pretension. It really felt like the family farm that it is.

klezman

quality posts: 122 Private Messages klezman
kylemittskus wrote:Very interesting offer, WD.

Agreed. But you got me tapped out after the Wellington. No more great offers for a while, k?

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

bkarlan

quality posts: 46 Private Messages bkarlan
klezman wrote:Agreed. But you got me tapped out after the Wellington. No more great offers for a while, k?

+1

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse..." - John Stuart Mill

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 181 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

I'm surprised PetiteSirah hasn't chimed in about these. But I think he may be a trifle busy lately.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.