megward

quality posts: 3 Private Messages megward

When: Saturday June 23rd, 6pm (Tasting at 7pm).
What: BBQ (I will do main dish (meat and vegetarian both) and dessert, please bring a side).
Where: Meg's house (roughly I-70 and Pena), PM for address
Theme: Woot Cellars Wines

Please sign up for a wine to bring. For those that don't have any Woot Cellars yet, I probably have enough to cover you.

Meg will have: Triacepidis, Vinito Del Finito, D'ontspille le Black, and Albino Rhino.
simplydumpling: Emergency Holiday Provisions and 2nd Monkey Prize
bolligra: F-bomb
tamarsmolowitz: Adequate Gift

Attending: Meg, Meg's husband, bolligra, simplydumpling & guest, tamarsmolowitz, joelsisk + 3

Food:
Meg: london broil & either eggplant or portabellas, and cupcakes (and probably light appetizers -- we have wine.woot charcuterie on hand)
bolligra:a southern style green bean dish for some food (one with bacon, one vegetarian).
simplydumpling: roasted veggies

liverman

quality posts: 16 Private Messages liverman
megward wrote:I'm in Denver, I have a bad habit of buying wine from wine.woot (and other wines, but mostly wine.woot). I'd like to meet other wine.wooters in the area.

Willing to host -- I'm on the NE side of town. Would have to be a kid-friendly gathering as I have two of them. Any interest?

Qualified "yes" - I am an hour west of Colorado Springs.

I am not sure what is involved in a wine.woot gathering, especially if it is "kid friendly".

Regards,

Greg

joelsisk

quality posts: 7 Private Messages joelsisk

We're always up for it if we're available. The first 3 Denver area became Colorado wide, and really the Wyoming contingent outnumbered the locals a couple times. We also had folks from the western slope make the trek.

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 174 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
joelsisk wrote:We're always up for it if we're available. The first 3 Denver area became Colorado wide, and really the Wyoming contingent outnumbered the locals a couple times. We also had folks from the western slope make the trek.

Ahem!

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

megward

By kid friendly I merely mean kids can be there. That's all. And well, let's try not to cuss too much (the toddler learns way too fast).

megward

June is probably too close -- would sometime in July work for interested parties?

I'm figuring hang out, drink wine, bbq something, play weird games, whatever. The spouse and I tend towards the geeky side, but I promise we're socially adept.

joelsisk

MarkDaSpark wrote:Ahem!

What? Sparkiclaus only came once. So did Nurse Laura. so did others.

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
joelsisk wrote:What? Sparkiclaus only came once. So did Nurse Laura. so did others.

Sparky just likes to feel special and important (as do we all)

I'm officially watching this thread.

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

NonnaWY

quality posts: 0 Private Messages NonnaWY
joelsisk wrote:We're always up for it if we're available. The first 3 Denver area became Colorado wide, and really the Wyoming contingent outnumbered the locals a couple times. We also had folks from the western slope make the trek.

Hey, I resemble that remark! I'd be up for the drive down. Plus Moondragon is usually willing to ride with me.

I will drink no wine before it's time. What time is it, anyway?

Here's to the corkscrew - a useful key to unlock the storehouse of wit, the treasury of laughter, the front door of fellowship, and the gate of pleasant folly.

simplydumpling

quality posts: 3 Private Messages simplydumpling

I'd be interested in a wine.woot gathering. I'm in central Denver. Along with wine.woots, I have a couple Colorado wines to share.

megward

Okay, what is the preferred date out of the following:

1) July 14th
2) July 21st
3) July 28th

And time. 2pm? 4pm?

I'm happy to provide the main course on the bbq -- so say bring a wine and a dish to share? (And let me know about allergies or dietary restrictions, please.)

(We have a cat, but are willing to coop her up if people with strong allergies are coming. And if you're allergic to kids, well they're harder to coop up :D )

NonnaWY

[quote postid="5013033" user="megward"]Okay, what is the preferred date out of the following:

1) July 14th
2) July 21st
3) July 28th

And time. 2pm? 4pm?

I'm happy to provide the main course on the bbq -- so say bring a wine and a dish to share? (And let me know about allergies or dietary restrictions, please.)

#2 or #3 for me. That's also the time frame for Cheyenne Frontier Days, but it would be a good excuse to get out of town and escape the crowds. Time of day? I like the 2pm.

Here's to the corkscrew - a useful key to unlock the storehouse of wit, the treasury of laughter, the front door of fellowship, and the gate of pleasant folly.

joelsisk

megward wrote:Okay, what is the preferred date out of the following:

1) July 14th
2) July 21st
3) July 28th

And time. 2pm? 4pm?

(We have a cat, but are willing to coop her up if people with strong allergies are coming. And if you're allergic to kids, well they're harder to coop up :D )

We can't do afternoons on Saturdays. Can do evenings Sat or afternoons on Sunday. Also, we'll be at the RPM tour, so weekend of 21/22 is out for us.

Any reason in particular why we're not looking at June 23/24 weekend? I get that Father's Day is the 17th, and scheduling around the 4th is tough, but just curious.

As for food, we would need vegetarian options.

megward

joelsisk wrote:We can't do afternoons on Saturdays. Can do evenings Sat or afternoons on Sunday. Also, we'll be at the RPM tour, so weekend of 21/22 is out for us.

Any reason in particular why we're not looking at June 23/24 weekend? I get that Father's Day is the 17th, and scheduling around the 4th is tough, but just curious.

As for food, we would need vegetarian options.

No specific reason. I thought June might be too short notice, but if June 23rd/24th works for most people, we can do that. (Father's day weekend is out as we're doing Denver Comic-Con that weekend.) I figured this would be sort of open-house style, so if we started at 2pm, showing up at 4pm or 6pm would be no problem. (And veggie options noted.)

joelsisk

megward wrote:No specific reason. I thought June might be too short notice, but if June 23rd/24th works for most people, we can do that. (Father's day weekend is out as we're doing Denver Comic-Con that weekend.) I figured this would be sort of open-house style, so if we started at 2pm, showing up at 4pm or 6pm would be no problem. (And veggie options noted.)

Cool. Also, this is slightly different format that many of the other gatherings. Not that there is anything wrong with open house style, but that sort of precludes an actual tasting. It's more of a general get to know you and try whatever wines happen to be available while you are there. Or are you thinking something different?

oh, and thanks for offering to host. As the up-til-now only Denver host, we appreciate it!!!

megward

joelsisk wrote:Cool. Also, this is slightly different format that many of the other gatherings. Not that there is anything wrong with open house style, but that sort of precludes an actual tasting. It's more of a general get to know you and try whatever wines happen to be available while you are there. Or are you thinking something different?

oh, and thanks for offering to host. As the up-til-now only Denver host, we appreciate it!!!

I haven't attended or done one of these before, so I'm totally winging it. We can do a formal tasting, we can do a get together and meet people and just drink, whatever the masses want I'm game for I just wanted to drink wine and meet people.

joelsisk

megward wrote:I haven't attended or done one of these before, so I'm totally winging it. We can do a formal tasting, we can do a get together and meet people and just drink, whatever the masses want I'm game for I just wanted to drink wine and meet people.

FWIW, nothing precludes a formal tasting within your existing proposal, except the open-house structure. Though, I suppose the tasting could have a set time... but you'd want it earlier in the event so as not to have a bunch of drunks "tasting".

I hope that none of these comments comes across as preachy, just trying to be informative.

megward

joelsisk wrote:FWIW, nothing precludes a formal tasting within your existing proposal, except the open-house structure. Though, I suppose the tasting could have a set time... but you'd want it earlier in the event so as not to have a bunch of drunks "tasting".

I hope that none of these comments comes across as preachy, just trying to be informative.

Not at all, I appreciate the help/direction.

joelsisk

bumpity bump. Meg - did anyone PM you? If not, this will end up being a small gathering again...

megward

No PMs as of yet.

Is June 23rd a good date for everyone?

I was looking at the wine rack, and I have a number of Woot Cellar Wines for the tasting -- F-bomb, Triacepidis, Vinito Del Finito, and D'ontspille le Black. (Sadly, I think we've drunk all of the Albino Rhino).

megward

megward wrote:No PMs as of yet.

I was looking at the wine rack, and I have a number of Woot Cellar Wines for the tasting -- F-bomb, Triacepidis, Vinito Del Finito, and D'ontspille le Black. (Sadly, I think we've drunk all of the Albino Rhino).

Actually, I was wrong, I do have some Rhino to share, too.

simplydumpling

quality posts: 3 Private Messages simplydumpling

I have a prior commitment on the 23rd at noon that probably will involve drinking so I may be available after 3ish though I cannot promise anything. I'm also unavailable the next two weekends.
Of course, don't plan the event based on my availability. However, it's not often that Denver has Woot gatherings so I'll try my best to make it if it is the 23rd. I do have several woot cellars besides those mentioned (EHP, Adequate gift, 2nd monkey prize, twas, and blitzen).

Also, in response to your question way above about those July dates, I'm free any of those weekends.

NonnaWY

If it were later in the afternoon on the 23rd, I'd be ok. I have our local wine group brunch that morning, but if I restrain myself, I could head down there in the afternoon.

megward

Okay, based on the feedback so far, let's set this for 6pm on June 23rd. We'll do tastings at 7pm, and food somewhere in the 6-7pm timeframe (depending on how long the grill takes to heat up).

I will provide the wines I've mentioned and glassware, and I will grill up vegetarian and non-vegetarian options and a dessert. If people could bring a side, that'd be awesome.

PM me for address/directions.

tamarsmolowitz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tamarsmolowitz

I've never been to one of these, nor have I actually ever posted on the forum (mostly because I know way more about beer than wine and so I never feel like I have anything substantive to post). But if you'll have me, I would love to join you guys on the 23rd. It would be just myself, as my husband will be out of town that weekend.

As for what I can bring, I can whip up a mean salad from my farm share. And as for what I have in stock from woot, mostly a few zinfandels. But I have a better selection of shirazes or tuscan wines not from woot. What's the protocol here?

NonnaWY

If we've decided on doing a Woot Cellar's tasting, I do have a Monkey Prize to bring (the first one).

Uh, what happened to the little envelopes by folk's names to send PMs?

bolligra

quality posts: 33 Private Messages bolligra
megward wrote:Okay, based on the feedback so far, let's set this for 6pm on June 23rd. We'll do tastings at 7pm, and food somewhere in the 6-7pm timeframe (depending on how long the grill takes to heat up).

I will provide the wines I've mentioned and glassware, and I will grill up vegetarian and non-vegetarian options and a dessert. If people could bring a side, that'd be awesome.

PM me for address/directions.

Hello, I'm just seeing this thread for the first time. I live in Broomfield and would very much like to attend. I will PM you, thanks!

As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

cjsiege

quality posts: 13 Private Messages cjsiege

Hi there, megward! Would you please update the title of this thread to reflect that the gathering will be on June 23rd? That will make it easier for readers to spot it at a glance.

Thank you!

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
NonnaWY wrote:If we've decided on doing a Woot Cellar's tasting, I do have a Monkey Prize to bring (the first one).

They're still there! I'm not sure what browser you're on but you may want to log in and back out and see if it reappears. If that fails, let me know what browser and such you are using so we can get bug data over to our expert zapping team. (Also be SURE to hit the beta feedback button with any and all issues.)

I'm just hanging out, really.

megward

inkycatz wrote:They're still there! I'm not sure what browser you're on but you may want to log in and back out and see if it reappears. If that fails, let me know what browser and such you are using so we can get bug data over to our expert zapping team. (Also be SURE to hit the beta feedback button with any and all issues.)

I would love to update the title, but I don't know how

NVM - I figured it out.

megward

tamarsmolowitz wrote:I've never been to one of these, nor have I actually ever posted on the forum (mostly because I know way more about beer than wine and so I never feel like I have anything substantive to post). But if you'll have me, I would love to join you guys on the 23rd. It would be just myself, as my husband will be out of town that weekend.

As for what I can bring, I can whip up a mean salad from my farm share. And as for what I have in stock from woot, mostly a few zinfandels. But I have a better selection of shirazes or tuscan wines not from woot. What's the protocol here?

This is my first time hosting, so no idea what the protocol is -- I figure if you want to bring non-woot wines that's okay, too.

megward

NonnaWY wrote:If we've decided on doing a Woot Cellar's tasting, I do have a Monkey Prize to bring (the first one).

I mostly did Woot Cellars since that was easy to identify as woot wine from my collection without having to go look up what I've ordered. Feel free to bring other woot wines.

joelsisk

megward wrote:I mostly did Woot Cellars since that was easy to identify as woot wine from my collection without having to go look up what I've ordered. Feel free to bring other woot wines.

I think the question was whether "woot cellars wines" was the "theme" of the tasting. Other themes have spanned specific varietals or specific regions or other random categorization of wine. Having a theme allows people to have some ideas of what they can expect at the tasting.

Also, the typical "protocol" is that every person brings a bottle... which means if you are a couple, you bring two bottles. Unless, of course, one of them isn't drinking/tasting.

You might want to peruse some of the other gathering threads to get other ideas.

megward

joelsisk wrote:I think the question was whether "woot cellars wines" was the "theme" of the tasting. Other themes have spanned specific varietals or specific regions or other random categorization of wine. Having a theme allows people to have some ideas of what they can expect at the tasting.

Also, the typical "protocol" is that every person brings a bottle... which means if you are a couple, you bring two bottles. Unless, of course, one of them isn't drinking/tasting.

You might want to peruse some of the other gathering threads to get other ideas.

Ah, I follow now.

Then yes, let's make Woot Cellars the theme of the tasting.

I have enough bottles of Woot Cellars that if one or two people don't have one, then I can cover for them.

joelsisk

megward wrote:Ah, I follow now.

Then yes, let's make Woot Cellars the theme of the tasting.

I have enough bottles of Woot Cellars that if one or two people don't have one, then I can cover for them.

In that case, you may want to have people "sign up" to bring a specific wine. You wouldn't want to end up with 12 bottles of monkey 2nd prize (or maybe you would, but the tasting would be rather boring). We often edit the first post of the thread with the details about the gathering - date, time, basic location (not actual address), who is coming, who cancelled... this would also be where you can capture what people say they are bringing.

MarkDaSpark

megward wrote:This is my first time hosting, so no idea what the protocol is -- I figure if you want to bring non-woot wines that's okay, too.

You can look thru other gatherings here.

No previous Denver gatherings listed since someone :cough: Joel :cough: has been a slacker in listing them.

And just remember the 5 Stages ...

Good luck!!

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

joelsisk

MarkDaSpark wrote:You can look thru other gatherings here.

No previous Denver gatherings listed since someone :cough: Joel :cough: has been a slacker in listing them.

Good luck!!

posted... who knew there was such a thread?

megward

joelsisk wrote:In that case, you may want to have people "sign up" to bring a specific wine. You wouldn't want to end up with 12 bottles of monkey 2nd prize (or maybe you would, but the tasting would be rather boring). We often edit the first post of the thread with the details about the gathering - date, time, basic location (not actual address), who is coming, who cancelled... this would also be where you can capture what people say they are bringing.

Done, done, and done. Day job is a little hectic right now, but I promise to try to keep relatively on top of messages and who's coming.

MarkDaSpark

joelsisk wrote:posted... who knew there was such a thread?

Obviously every other gathering host/hostess but Denver.

Moondragon

quality posts: 8 Private Messages Moondragon
NonnaWY wrote:Plus Moondragon is usually willing to ride with me.

Entirely possible...