WootBot


quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

R. Merlo Estate Vineyards Syrah

Speed to First Woot:
2m 14.000s
First Sucker:
glindahl
Last Wooter to Woot:
jimjacks66
Last Purchase:
3 years ago
Order Pace (rank):
Bottom 26% of Wine Woots
Bottom 31% of all Woots
Woots Sold (rank):
Bottom 43% of Wine Woots
Bottom 42% of all Woots

Purchaser Experience

  • 5% first woot
  • 1% second woot
  • 23% < 10 woots
  • 25% < 25 woots
  • 47% ≥ 25 woots

Purchaser Seniority

  • 2% joined today
  • 0% one week old
  • 2% one month old
  • 24% one year old
  • 73% > one year old

Quantity Breakdown

  • 96% bought 1
  • 3% bought 2
  • 1% bought 3

Percentage of Sales Per Hour

9%
3%
3%
0%
1%
2%
5%
3%
5%
7%
5%
5%
4%
7%
5%
2%
7%
3%
3%
7%
3%
4%
5%
4%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting





Quality Posts



Cesare


quality posts: 1697 Private Messages Cesare

R. Merlo Estate Vineyards Syrah
$49.99 + $5 shipping
CONDITION: Red
PRODUCT: 4 2007 R. Merlo Estate Vineyards Syrah, Hyampom Ranch Trinity County
CT link above

Winery website

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 187 Private Messages MarkDaSpark









Happy Mother's Day!!!


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

mibuwolf83


quality posts: 6 Private Messages mibuwolf83

Hello Ray and Wine.Woot Community,

This is my first time wooting so bare with me as well. I just had a couple of questions about the wine:

1) Is the Syrah a light, medium or full-bodied?
2) As far as the tannins, is it upfront and grippy or subtle and soft?
3) What is the drinking window for the syrah?

I'm a bit curious about the description, "this big and richly dark wine has a refined balance and an elegant nature." I drank a bottle of 2009 Chateau Pesquie Quintessence and the description above is what I thought about when I was drinking it (different flavor profile, but same retail price point!)

I'm looking forward to see everyone's response.

rugrats2001


quality posts: 14 Private Messages rugrats2001

I guess everyone is sleeping?

tlrowe


quality posts: 7 Private Messages tlrowe

I can't help thinking that this family should be making some other type of wine...

trifecta


quality posts: 74 Private Messages trifecta

Can the winery shed some light on the growing season on the South Fork of the Trinity? Diurnal shifts? How was 2007 in particular? I have spent a few weeks backpacking in the trinity alps and am intrigued by this offer.

rjquillin


quality posts: 189 Private Messages rjquillin

Given the lack of info on CT, excepting favorable comments for the 2004 vintage, here we have another perfect example of why we need the RATS back...

Only 101 woots on the Oh, and just 62 for the Ethan. Both looked interesting, but were unknown. Compare to that blockbuster 2200 -cases- of Pedroncelli; something we know.

Any progress making this work again?

CT

true559


quality posts: 25 Private Messages true559
rjquillin wrote:Given the lack of info on CT, excepting favorable comments for the 2004 vintage, here we have another perfect example of why we need the RATS back...

Only 101 woots on the Oh, and just 62 for the Ethan. Both looked interesting, but were unknown. Compare to that blockbuster 2200 -cases- of Pedroncelli; something we know.

Any progress making this work again?



I agree. Wouldn't it be nice if wine.woot obtained rattage prior to every offering ? The Pedroncelli was the best deal ever on wine.woot in my opinion.

hiten900


quality posts: 10 Private Messages hiten900

Is this is an undiscovered gem? Should one gamble? Am I a speculator or risk taker this rainy Sunday morning. Oh.. so many thoughts… time to go have a cup of coffee and mull over the decision.

blaze1984


quality posts: 5 Private Messages blaze1984

So no thoughts on this.

Here's some wine-searcher links for price comparisons: http://www.wine-searcher.com/find/r+merlo+estate+syrah/2007

this seems to be a good deal. However, without any comments on this, I don't think I can blind buy it... but at $55 for 4 bottles, I don't see how I could go too wrong...

oncman


quality posts: 2 Private Messages oncman

I was looking at their website, http://www.rmerlo.com/index.php, and noticed that the library wines were cheaper than the current releases. That seems a little odd to me. Am I missing something?

merlovineyards


quality posts: 11 Private Messages merlovineyards
mibuwolf83 wrote:Hello Ray and Wine.Woot Community,

This is my first time wooting so bare with me as well. I just had a couple of questions about the wine:

1) Is the Syrah a light, medium or full-bodied?
2) As far as the tannins, is it upfront and grippy or subtle and soft?
3) What is the drinking window for the syrah?

I'm a bit curious about the description, "this big and richly dark wine has a refined balance and an elegant nature." I drank a bottle of 2009 Chateau Pesquie Quintessence and the description above is what I thought about when I was drinking it (different flavor profile, but same retail price point!)

I'm looking forward to see everyone's response.



pspreier


quality posts: 1 Private Messages pspreier

From the winery website:

Awards:
Score 91 : 2011 California State Fair
Silver Medal : 2011 Los Angeles Internetional Wine and Spirits Competition
Silver Medal : 2011 Grand Harvest Wine Competition
Bronze Medal : 2010 World Wine Championships

Looks like it is a well regarded wine. All wines that I have had with this many tasting awards have been very good. So, even though we don't have rat notes, we know a lot of judges have like it.

baristaboss58


quality posts: 4 Private Messages baristaboss58

My first WINE WOOT purchase was the Pedroncelli. There was so much great, shared information on here, making that decision seem effortless. Since then, I can not rely predominately on just the posted comments. Although, I greatly appreciate the efforts of those trying to contibute and educate all that are interested, especially this somewhat of a newbie. With that said, I have taken up "wine researcher" (I use the term loosely), as another non monetary job. Don't get me wrong, researching is a strong point of mine. I was, and still am hopeful, to aquire valuable information from seasoned posters, as well as from the wineries and winemakers with their offerings. Maybe it was the "woot-off"...too long...sleep deprivation.. Appreciate all the efforts and hard work from Wine Woot, and the comments from all...Lifting a glass to what determines my next purchase, and of course..Cheers

merlovineyards


quality posts: 11 Private Messages merlovineyards
mibuwolf83 wrote:Hello Ray and Wine.Woot Community,

This is my first time wooting so bare with me as well. I just had a couple of questions about the wine:

1) Is the Syrah a light, medium or full-bodied?
2) As far as the tannins, is it upfront and grippy or subtle and soft?
3) What is the drinking window for the syrah?

I'm a bit curious about the description, "this big and richly dark wine has a refined balance and an elegant nature." I drank a bottle of 2009 Chateau Pesquie Quintessence and the description above is what I thought about when I was drinking it (different flavor profile, but same retail price point!)

I'm looking forward to see everyone's response.



Hello Woot Family! Sorry it has taken some time to respond. Happy Mothers Day to all you mothers!
As for our 2007 Syrah, this wine is full bodied and fruit forwad. The tannins are subtle and soft with wonderful balance. This wine is a true crowd pleaser. This wine will lay down for another 5-7 years.

merlovineyards


quality posts: 11 Private Messages merlovineyards
oncman wrote:I was looking at their website, http://www.rmerlo.com/index.php, and noticed that the library wines were cheaper than the current releases. That seems a little odd to me. Am I missing something?



The reason the library wines are cheaper is because we are relatively a new winery and I want to make it a low risk buy for new customers to try our wines. Please take advantage of this. You won't be disappointed.

Ray

merlovineyards


quality posts: 11 Private Messages merlovineyards
blaze1984 wrote:So no thoughts on this.

Here's some wine-searcher links for price comparisons: http://www.wine-searcher.com/find/r+merlo+estate+syrah/2007

this seems to be a good deal. However, without any comments on this, I don't think I can blind buy it... but at $55 for 4 bottles, I don't see how I could go too wrong...



Trust me when I tell you this is a GREAT value. You will not be disappointed with this wine if you like a full bodied, well balanced, fruit forward classic European style wine. Big black currant and blackberry with a subtle chocolate finish.

Ray

merlovineyards


quality posts: 11 Private Messages merlovineyards
trifecta wrote:Can the winery shed some light on the growing season on the South Fork of the Trinity? Diurnal shifts? How was 2007 in particular? I have spent a few weeks backpacking in the trinity alps and am intrigued by this offer.



The growing season is exactly the reason we chose this area to grow our fruit. The vineyard is in a true microclimate. at an elevation of 1250 feet it is surrounded by 6000 ft cliffs. The days reach temps of 95-97 with night temps dropping to 45-48 degrees. This fluctuation in temp brings a naturally low yield of big and bold fruit.

Ray

merlovineyards


quality posts: 11 Private Messages merlovineyards
hiten900 wrote:Is this is an undiscovered gem? Should one gamble? Am I a speculator or risk taker this rainy Sunday morning. Oh.. so many thoughts… time to go have a cup of coffee and mull over the decision.



This IS an undiscovered gem and trust me when I say the purchase is not a risk.

Ray

Winedavid39


quality posts: 214 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

merlovineyards wrote:Hello Woot Family! Sorry it has taken some time to respond. Happy Mothers Day to all you mothers!
As for our 2007 Syrah, this wine is full bodied and fruit forwad. The tannins are subtle and soft with wonderful balance. This wine is a true crowd pleaser. This wine will lay down for another 5-7 years.



Thanks for jumping in Ray!

Happy Mother's day !

merlovineyards


quality posts: 11 Private Messages merlovineyards
blaze1984 wrote:So no thoughts on this.

Here's some wine-searcher links for price comparisons: http://www.wine-searcher.com/find/r+merlo+estate+syrah/2007

this seems to be a good deal. However, without any comments on this, I don't think I can blind buy it... but at $55 for 4 bottles, I don't see how I could go too wrong...



This a a great buy. I know I'm biased but trust me when I tell you I will put this syrah up against any syrah out there.

Ray

rjquillin


quality posts: 189 Private Messages rjquillin
merlovineyards wrote:Trust me when I tell you this is a GREAT value. You will not be disappointed with this wine if you like a full bodied, well balanced, fruit forward classic European style wine. Big black currant and blackberry with a subtle chocolate finish.

Ray


Welcome!
But please help me out a bit. When I hear the term fruit forward I think new world CA wines. To me fruit forward classic European style is an oxymoron.
Can you help me out here?

CT

merlovineyards


quality posts: 11 Private Messages merlovineyards
rjquillin wrote:Welcome!
But please help me out a bit. When I hear the term fruit forward I think new world CA wines. To me fruit forward classic European style is an oxymoron.
Can you help me out here?



The Syrah is very much fruit forward. The European style comes with the definate earthy tones you will find in this wine. Our wine making style is European in that we bring out the true characteristics of the varietal, the year it was grown and the land in which we grow our fruit.

Hope this helps.

Ray

Ray

mibuwolf83


quality posts: 6 Private Messages mibuwolf83
merlovineyards wrote:Hello Woot Family! Sorry it has taken some time to respond. Happy Mothers Day to all you mothers!
As for our 2007 Syrah, this wine is full bodied and fruit forwad. The tannins are subtle and soft with wonderful balance. This wine is a true crowd pleaser. This wine will lay down for another 5-7 years.



Ray,

Thank you for the reply. Here's another question for ya - which winery in Europe (I'm assuming somewhere in the Rhone Valley) do you model this Syrah?

Also, what do you like to pair this wine with?

mibuwolf83


quality posts: 6 Private Messages mibuwolf83

Oops! I forgot to ask as well - does this wine undergo any fining/filtration?

kylemittskus


quality posts: 233 Private Messages kylemittskus
rjquillin wrote:Welcome!
But please help me out a bit. When I hear the term fruit forward I think new world CA wines. To me fruit forward classic European style is an oxymoron.
Can you help me out here?



The mark for European Syrah is the N. Rhone, IMO (which I love!). But, "fruit forward" is not the way I would describe the vast majority of N. Rhone wines. They are rustic, bloody, mineral-y, and the fruit is present but is really a side kick to the "old world" profile. Saying a wine is a fruit forward, European-styled wine is kind of an oxymoron.

All of that said, new world Syrah absolutely has its place in my cellar. But it is a different animal than the N. Rhone. Not that new world producers can't make an European-styled Syrah (Halćon), but they don't claim to be fruit-driven.

I feel like I'm being so contrarian lately, but I just want true, honest wines (without VDDD, obviously) that are what they are and are proud to be it, even if it defies what may be popular to say at that moment. If this is a fruit-forward Syrah, then it isn't "European"; and that's perfectly fine.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

blaze1984


quality posts: 5 Private Messages blaze1984
merlovineyards wrote:This a a great buy. I know I'm biased but trust me when I tell you I will put this syrah up against any syrah out there.

Ray



thanks for the input... in for one:

SPEED TO FIRST WOOT:2m 14.253s
FIRST SUCKER:glindahl
LAST WOOTER TO WOOT:blaze1984

spdrcr05


quality posts: 30 Private Messages spdrcr05

Screw it .., I'm taking a flyer just because it's from someplace different & the winery is enthusiastically participating. In for 1!

In periods of profound change, the most dangerous thing is to incrementalize yourself into the future -- Thomas Edision

dannkatt


quality posts: 1 Private Messages dannkatt

In for one. It's still cheaper than the swill that the grocery stores pass off as "high end", and it's a safe bet that it's going to blow away anything I can get at Kroger for the same price.

kylemittskus


quality posts: 233 Private Messages kylemittskus
dannkatt wrote:In for one. It's still cheaper than the swill that the grocery stores pass off as "high end", and it's a safe bet that it's going to blow away anything I can get at Kroger for the same price.



Guaranteed.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

rjquillin


quality posts: 189 Private Messages rjquillin
merlovineyards wrote:The Syrah is very much fruit forward. The European style comes with the definate earthy tones you will find in this wine. Our wine making style is European in that we bring out the true characteristics of the varietal, the year it was grown and the land in which we grow our fruit.

Hope this helps.

Ray



Yep, it does. Is there any way we could work some of the 2004 into the same shipping?

CT

Winedavid39


quality posts: 214 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

dannkatt wrote:In for one. It's still cheaper than the swill that the grocery stores pass off as "high end", and it's a safe bet that it's going to blow away anything I can get at Kroger for the same price.



hey now.

mibuwolf83


quality posts: 6 Private Messages mibuwolf83
dannkatt wrote:In for one. It's still cheaper than the swill that the grocery stores pass off as "high end", and it's a safe bet that it's going to blow away anything I can get at Kroger for the same price.



I agree. I'm in for one as well.

acompdude


quality posts: 2 Private Messages acompdude

Man I wish I had room for this. I don't have any syrah to try yet and it's hard to pass this up. With the 4 bottles I got yesterday I just can't get this too. I will likely be getting some once I have some room though. This sounds like a great wine.

trifecta


quality posts: 74 Private Messages trifecta
rjquillin wrote:Yep, it does. Is there any way we could work some of the 2004 into the same shipping?



Would really like to try the 2004 as well as I prefer a syrah to have some bottle age. I am in for 1 because this sounds interesting at a great deal. Have loved my time in the trinity alps too!

This will give me my black square!

Please let us know if there is a way to get some '04 into the same shipping.

mibuwolf83


quality posts: 6 Private Messages mibuwolf83

I finally opened a bottle and I finished it last night and the description of the wine on the palate is spot on! It is food-friendly and it drinks the way I wanted Tallulah to drink (and I love the 07 Bald Mountain Ranch Syrah). This Syrah paired perfectly with BBQ Pork and Filipino Egg Rolls. The tannins provide grip and the acidity provides lift and I believe this wine will endure for several more years, but drinking deliciously right now. I'm so glad I got an order, but I wish I ordered more!