klezman

quality posts: 121 Private Messages klezman
cmaldoon wrote:If I didn't have that though, I would have come home to a missed package notice BEFORE I had a shipping notice.

This has happened to me many many times. Most recently it was attempted three times and returned to sender before I got the notice. WW replaced it, but it's a pain for all involved.

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

time2testit

quality posts: 14 Private Messages time2testit

OK. I thought we were in summer shipping now. However, my Triacipides just arrived in sunny L.A. and there are no little ice packs or anything like anywhere (yes I looked beneath each bottle too). I don't want to have to open one up right now to find out if they are cooked. I like to hold my wine for a while. So, what's up?!

alpineguy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages alpineguy
time2testit wrote:OK. However, my Triacipides just arrived in sunny L.A. and there are no little ice packs or anything like anywhere (

None of my summer shipments have ever arrived with an ice pack, but rather are packed in those nice Styrofoam containers. Usually my summer shipments arrive between 9AM and 12AM, which is usually still cool here in the high mountain west. However, a recent shipment arrived on a 95 degree day at 5:30PM - probably the last FedEx delivery of the day. The box felt about 95 degrees when I was handed it and I thought for sure it would be cooked. However, I measured the bottle temperatures with an IR thermometer and the wine was a pleasant mid-70s.

Today's Triceripedes that was delivered (in an amazing 6 days from order)also had a toasty box, but the wine was in the high 60s.

For me, the summer shipping has been working fine without a cold container. YMMV

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg
klezman wrote:This has happened to me many many times. Most recently it was attempted three times and returned to sender before I got the notice. WW replaced it, but it's a pain for all involved.

They attempted delivery, but didn't leave a door tag enabling you to deal with it?

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

time2testit

alpineguy wrote:None of my summer shipments have ever arrived with an ice pack, but rather are packed in those nice Styrofoam containers. Usually my summer shipments arrive between 9AM and 12AM, which is usually still cool here in the high mountain west. However, a recent shipment arrived on a 95 degree day at 5:30PM - probably the last FedEx delivery of the day. The box felt about 95 degrees when I was handed it and I thought for sure it would be cooked. However, I measured the bottle temperatures with an IR thermometer and the wine was a pleasant mid-70s.

Today's Triceripedes that was delivered (in an amazing 6 days from order)also had a toasty box, but the wine was in the high 60s.

For me, the summer shipping has been working fine without a cold container. YMMV

Mine are almost always shipped in styrofoam, the only difference being in the summer they have the little ice packs. They feel fine now but the problem is that without opening one I have no way to know if they were cooked on the way here. And I don't want to have to open one right away to try to figure it out (not to mention whether I would be able to tell what it "should" taste like). Just disappointing (since I was going to email and ask them about it when I saw I was charged $5 but not $7 and then read that it was now just part of the cost of the woot itself).

eluofthenine

quality posts: 7 Private Messages eluofthenine

just got my tom eddy and i have to say it is in great shape so props to woot on that. but if i hadn't had it held it would've been a whole different story. it's frustrating that a lot of people's wine woots depend on the timely notification of shipment which appears to be failing to occur in many cases.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
time2testit wrote:Mine are almost always shipped in styrofoam, the only difference being in the summer they have the little ice packs. They feel fine now but the problem is that without opening one I have no way to know if they were cooked on the way here. And I don't want to have to open one right away to try to figure it out (not to mention whether I would be able to tell what it "should" taste like). Just disappointing (since I was going to email and ask them about it when I saw I was charged $5 but not $7 and then read that it was now just part of the cost of the woot itself).

If the corks aren't moist and don't show signs of leaking, the wine didn't cook. If they are and do, they are.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

rjquillin

quality posts: 171 Private Messages rjquillin
woot wrote:Chateau Bianca Pinot Noir (4)

FedEx wrote:Ship date Jul 16, 2012
Delivery date Jul 18, 2012 7:17 PM
$AW WINE.WOOT
NWWTY - CHATEAU BIANCA

Pretty much sums up how well the shipping notification doesn't work.

CT

klezman

quality posts: 121 Private Messages klezman
ddeuddeg wrote:They attempted delivery, but didn't leave a door tag enabling you to deal with it?

I was out of town and would have rerouted it to the Fedex location near me if I'd known.

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

kylemittskus

Anyone's R2 shipped?

time2testit

kylemittskus wrote:If the corks aren't moist and don't show signs of leaking, the wine didn't cook. If they are and do, they are.

I understand that would mean it is cooked, but does the opposite mean for sure it isn't? Isn't it a real possibility the wine was heated up (for example to 90 degrees or more like it has been in some parts) and it just heated the wine inside and didn't affect the cork or leak? I always was told the worst thing for wine was extreme temperature changes.

kylemittskus

time2testit wrote:I understand that would mean it is cooked, but does the opposite mean for sure it isn't? Isn't it a real possibility the wine was heated up (for example to 90 degrees or more like it has been in some parts) and it just heated the wine inside and didn't affect the cork or leak? I always was told the worst thing for wine was extreme temperature changes.

I think it's unlikely. Wine can handle quite a bit and is heated to pretty high temperatures during the making process. IMO, if the corks are in tact and not leaking, you're pretty safe unless you're planning on holding the wine for 5+ years.

rjquillin

quality posts: 171 Private Messages rjquillin
rjquillin wrote:Pretty much sums up how well the shipping notification doesn't work.

As a follow up, at 12:33 PDT, got this:
Your Chateau Bianca Pinot Noir (4) order from Woot has shipped.

Yes, this would be the one I picked up Wednesday.

CT

eluofthenine

kylemittskus wrote:I think it's unlikely. Wine can handle quite a bit and is heated to pretty high temperatures during the making process. IMO, if the corks are in tact and not leaking, you're pretty safe unless you're planning on holding the wine for 5+ years.

if the wine was not cooked, what would be different in 5+ years that would not be apparent now?

noslensj

quality posts: 42 Private Messages noslensj
eluofthenine wrote:if the wine was not cooked, what would be different in 5+ years that would not be apparent now?

try this link:

How do you tell when your wine has been cooked in transit?

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
eluofthenine wrote:if the wine was not cooked, what would be different in 5+ years that would not be apparent now?

Wine stored at improper temperatures (above 55-60 degrees) will age faster than wine stored at those temperatures. All he is saying is that even if the wine was at 90 degrees, if there was no leakage, it probably wasn't cooked but may now age slightly faster than it would have previously.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

kylemittskus

North316 wrote:Wine stored at improper temperatures (above 55-60 degrees) will age faster than wine stored at those temperatures. All he is saying is that even if the wine was at 90 degrees, if there was no leakage, it probably wasn't cooked but may now age slightly faster than it would have previously.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

kylemittskus

No tracking #s in the emails anymore = fail!!! I have to sign in to my account and click the link. It used to be so easy with gmail. Gmail found the tracking #, made it a url on the right, and I clicked.

I left beta feedback.

eluofthenine

North316 wrote:Wine stored at improper temperatures (above 55-60 degrees) will age faster than wine stored at those temperatures. All he is saying is that even if the wine was at 90 degrees, if there was no leakage, it probably wasn't cooked but may now age slightly faster than it would have previously.

oh, well duh. but what's the difference between a nice ww bottle that you bought (that might have been in higher temperatures for a period of time not long enough to have the bottle show signs of cooking), and a nice bottle you buy from the wine store where you have no idea of the shipping and storing conditions of that wine prior to purchase?

furthermore, let's say you had a ww delivery in the winter: how do you know that that wine didn't experience an instance of higher than ideal temperature for a period of time not long enough to cook it or to have it show signs of cooking prior to your purchase? maybe the storage room that your hypothetical winter shipped bottle was in had the a/c go on the fritz for a few days and it got hot in there....

just saying.

North316

eluofthenine wrote:oh, well duh. but what's the difference between a nice ww bottle that you bought (that might have been in higher temperatures for a period of time not long enough to have the bottle show signs of cooking), and a nice bottle you buy from the wine store where you have no idea of the shipping and storing conditions of that wine prior to purchase?

furthermore, let's say you had a ww delivery in the winter: how do you know that that wine didn't experience an instance of higher than ideal temperature for a period of time not long enough to cook it or to have it show signs of cooking prior to your purchase? maybe the storage room that your hypothetical winter shipped bottle was in had the a/c go on the fritz for a few days and it got hot in there....

just saying.

Just another reason I buy from woot where the chain of custody is known. Winery to WCC to me. And if there is an issue that happened anywhere along the way and the wine is bad, I get my refund, no questions asked.

My CT

mschauber

quality posts: 40 Private Messages mschauber

Tracking info...

So the 4+ week delayed Soiree showed up last week but the tracking info has yet to show up on the website, still awaiting shipping. I have an order from the Ursa woot.plus which is also 'awaiting shipping.' Now I realize one is wine and one isn't, but with ZERO communication from woot/wcc, how are we supposed to know where things are or even IF they have been shipped?

Delays, summer shipping (which by the way the Styrofoam alone isn't enough, the Used Automobile Parts I received were hot to the touch,) etc etc are all fine, if the customer is kept in the loop. It wouldn't be hard to include a 'processing' timeline, like when you order a computer from Dell and can see individual steps from order accepted, billed, pre-production, production, testing, preparing for shipping, and shipped. Or even something as simple as what FedEx/UPS do where they just show the scans at each stop.

NOTE: Styrofoam is an insulator. It keeps in both hot and cold. So when a box sits in a truck that's baking in the sun and is well over 120 degrees, it starts to warm up and then it holds the heat it. I opened a bottle of the Used Automobile Parts for two reasons. 1) To make sure these expensive bottles hadn't cooked (but that shouldn't have to be done since I would want to cellar much of the wine I buy.) 2) Because I wanted to do a side-by-side test of the Vinturi and Soiree on a wine that was really is too young to drink without aerating/decanting.

So, back to the logistics.. Why not have separate notifications for things like:
- delayed due to weather
- delayed due to back order
- delayed due to other reason
- label printed
- product shipped standard (delivered to UPS/FedEx/USPS/etc.)
- product shipped non-standard (plain/train/truck/automobile) to dispatch center
----- for this one, a bar code could be assigned to a skid, so individual boxes wouldn't have to be scanned or an additional bar code applied

Don't get me wrong, overall I think WCC does a great job, but there is always room for improvement (and I don't care who you are, what you do, how long you've been doing it, or how old you are, there is ALWAYS room to improve and learn.)

I do have two other requests:

1) Please, please, please use ice packs. Wine travelling from one coast to the other and/or south just needs a little bit more love.
2) Stop bundling shipping into product pricing. This is a well known way of raising prices when there is a reason to (more expensive shipping) and then keeping those price increases even when shipping costs go back down. I don't care if you charge $2 to $5 more for summer shipping, or give each customer a choice of shipping options, but adding shipping into the product cost is simply wrong and shows no regard for the customer, but only the bottom dollar.

--
Hey you, out there in the cold; Getting lonely, getting old; Can you feel me? - Pink Floyd/Roger Waters
My CT

edthebedhead

quality posts: 4 Private Messages edthebedhead
liverman wrote:My personal experience after about two dozen woots and an equal number of shipments from competitors is this.

I get an email from the company I paid my money to (woot in this case) telling me something like:

Your order for 1 Copa Del Rey Chilean Cabernet Sauvignon on 04/25/2012 has been recently shipped via FEDEX.

and giving me a FEDEX tracking number. (Same thing for companies that use UPS.

I know that this means that a tracking number has been generated, not that the package has actually moved into the hands of FedEx/UPS. At this point I can go to the shipper and set up email alerts that will be sent from FedEx (or UPS).Personally, I don't usually do that.

I work out of my home so someone is almost always here. The robo lady at FedEx usually calls here a day or so ahead of time and tells me a shipment is coming. I say usually because I am not always here to answer the phone and my answering machine or their robo thingy may not record a message if I am not here to watch for it. Not sure it is their fault or mine...but the net is that I almost always get I call, I think. Sometimes my wife answers and she forgets to tell me... well you get the idea.

If it is important to me, I sign up for email alerts from the FedEx/UPS folks.

Since I have to be sure to be here to sign for the thing, I keep a Excel sheet with the list of incoming wine shipments. I just check for the ship dates and estimated arrival (I have found both companies to be very accurate in their estimated arrival date once the package is underway).

Suggestion: It would be simpler and save me a little time if the company to whom I paid my money (woot in this case) sent me an email when the shipment actually occured OR pre-requested that FedEx/UPS send me that notification when they actually received the package.

Issues that I have encountered:
1) I have had one package go missing - happend on the delivery truck. The delivery dude got in a hurry, grabbed the wrong package by mistake and left it on someone else's doorstep...went back the next day and...gone...woot service case in progress on that one.
2) I have had a situation (wine coming in today) where the package arrived in Colorado Springs on Saturday in the wee hours and was loaded on the delivery truck on Saturday. It has been sitting on the truck from 3:16am Saturday. We had cool weather here this weekend (rain, sleet, snow) so I am more worried about the temps in the truck as it rolled across the US last week (New Jersey to Colorado) than I am about the temps in that delivery truck this weekend. I will get more concerned about things as the weather warms up... (this is not a wine woot shipment).

Bottom line - nothing horrendous has happened (pending resolution of the lost shipment). Once the wine gets over to FedEx it only seems to take 3-4 days to get to me. No cooked or frozen wine so far.

I almost always get the FedEx robo lady calling me 24-48 hours ahead reminding me that I'll get carded.

tiger7610

quality posts: 17 Private Messages tiger7610

Ok fedex is being stupid, Finally I get my Tri-3 moving, so I go to have it forwarded to my fedex store, since I wont be able to be there tomorrow, when its supposed to arrive. For some reason it doesnt work, says no store is available which is allergies. So I call fedex and they have it re-routed to the store. They tell me its because the sender wont allow it to be re-routed before the first attempt is made, which is again allergies. No idea what is going on, but hopefully will be getting my wine tomorrow.

mschauber

kylemittskus wrote:No tracking #s in the emails anymore = fail!!! I have to sign in to my account and click the link. It used to be so easy with gmail. Gmail found the tracking #, made it a url on the right, and I clicked.

I left beta feedback.

I leave beta feedback for EVERY tracking #'less email I receive. It's unbelievable they haven't been able to fix that yet. They need to recruit some 2nd graders to help them code more efficiently.

The order confirmation page clearly states:
"Tracking Unavailable
We'll email you tracking numbers for your shipment(s) as they go out, and put that into here as well. In the meantime, sit tight, bud."

--
Hey you, out there in the cold; Getting lonely, getting old; Can you feel me? - Pink Floyd/Roger Waters
My CT

mschauber

tiger7610 wrote:Ok fedex is being stupid, Finally I get my Tri-3 moving, so I go to have it forwarded to my fedex store, since I wont be able to be there tomorrow, when its supposed to arrive. For some reason it doesnt work, says no store is available which is allergies. So I call fedex and they have it re-routed to the store. They tell me its because the sender wont allow it to be re-routed before the first attempt is made, which is again allergies. No idea what is going on, but hopefully will be getting my wine tomorrow.

Where did woot get b-u-l-l_$_h-i-t equals allergies?

--
My CT

kylemittskus

tiger7610 wrote:Ok fedex is being stupid, Finally I get my Tri-3 moving, so I go to have it forwarded to my fedex store, since I wont be able to be there tomorrow, when its supposed to arrive. For some reason it doesnt work, says no store is available which is allergies. So I call fedex and they have it re-routed to the store. They tell me its because the sender wont allow it to be re-routed before the first attempt is made, which is again allergies. No idea what is going on, but hopefully will be getting my wine tomorrow.

FedEx has done that to me a couple times too (both from woot and from WL). I have ZERO idea why and it has nothing to do with the shipper. I argue and argue with the lady on the phone, but she won't budge. Pain in the ass.

amreli

quality posts: 8 Private Messages amreli

Already have an email in to service@woot.com, however really want to vent....I've been tracking my recent order for Triacipedis and when I checked Tuesday, it gave the estimated delivery date as Wed 7/25. I get home yesterday and no package/no note. No big deal and I forget to check on it until this afternoon. Today I look on the FedEx website and it says:
Jul 25, 2012 5:46 PM Delivered, signed for by (my last name).
Now, I know that NO ONE was home at 5:46 pm because my husband and I were both picking up my son from preschool, so there's no way anyone signed for it. We got home around 6:15 pm. I've actually had FedEx leave a wine shipment at my house here without a signature before, but honestly, I didn't think too much of it *because I got the shipment*.

Anybody else have a similar experience and actually get their wine later?

kylemittskus

amreli wrote:Already have an email in to service@woot.com, however really want to vent....I've been tracking my recent order for Triacipedis and when I checked Tuesday, it gave the estimated delivery date as Wed 7/25. I get home yesterday and no package/no note. No big deal and I forget to check on it until this afternoon. Today I look on the FedEx website and it says:
Now, I know that NO ONE was home at 5:46 pm because my husband and I were both picking up my son from preschool, so there's no way anyone signed for it. We got home around 6:15 pm. I've actually had FedEx leave a wine shipment at my house here without a signature before, but honestly, I didn't think too much of it *because I got the shipment*.

You should be talking to your local FedEx delivery hub and ask then who the hell signed for your package. This is a FedEx issue, not a woot one, although I'm sure service will try to find out the same info.

amreli

kylemittskus wrote:You should be talking to your local FedEx delivery hub and ask then who the hell signed for your package. This is a FedEx issue, not a woot one, although I'm sure service will try to find out the same info.

Oops, forgot to put in there I called FedEx first, they're "looking into it" but my impression was that "well, someone had to sign for it and they had the right last name, so you're screwed."

kylemittskus

amreli wrote:Oops, forgot to put in there I called FedEx first, they're "looking into it" but my impression was that "well, someone had to sign for it and they had the right last name, so you're screwed."

But it wasn't at your house obviously! Do you, perchance, have an attic squatter you're unaware of?

amreli

kylemittskus wrote:But it wasn't at your house obviously! Do you, perchance, have an attic squatter you're unaware of?

Hmm, maybe the cat signed for it, she is tricksy....

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
amreli wrote:Already have an email in to service@woot.com, however really want to vent....I've been tracking my recent order for Triacipedis and when I checked Tuesday, it gave the estimated delivery date as Wed 7/25. I get home yesterday and no package/no note. No big deal and I forget to check on it until this afternoon. Today I look on the FedEx website and it says:

That's strange. Perhaps a neighbor (although it wouldn't explain signing with your last name)?

I'm just hanging out, really.

North316

inkycatz wrote:That's strange. Perhaps a neighbor (although it wouldn't explain signing with your last name)?

Inky,

I recently had a package that was damaged in-stransit and sent back to the Fed Ex facility. Is this something I need to contact CS about or will they get notice from Fed Ex?

My CT

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
North316 wrote:Inky,

I recently had a package that was damaged in-stransit and sent back to the Fed Ex facility. Is this something I need to contact CS about or will they get notice from Fed Ex?

At the end of the day (or even in the middle of it), we do want you to get your product (or a replacement, or a refund if that's not possible), so it wouldn't hurt to ping service@woot.com and ask if they've gotten a notice from fedex. It might help them keep an eye out for it if they haven't gotten one by now.

I'm just hanging out, really.

amreli

inkycatz wrote:That's strange. Perhaps a neighbor (although it wouldn't explain signing with your last name)?

Update: I got 2 calls from FedEx earlier today (one from the local distribution office, one from the general people) saying the driver thought he delivered it to a similar street name and that he was going to check this afternoon. My husband actually went by that house but no one was home at the time. Hubby and I go to my OB appointment, pick up our son, eat dinner with my sister-in-law, get home shortly after 9 pm and find the wine sitting by our front door. A little uncertain what really happened and somewhat mixed feelings about how it actually showed up. I mean, yay wine! But it was just left on our front porch without a signature or any other sort of confirmation they had gotten it to the right place (other than it being at the address listed on the package, but that wasn't good enough the first time, obviously). And while it was 9 pm when we got home, it was still 90 degrees outside so it was sitting out in that heat for at least a couple hours so that's also less than awesome.

kylemittskus

amreli wrote: it was still 90 degrees outside so it was sitting out in that heat for at least a couple hours so that's also less than awesome.

As long as your corks aren't moist (the wine leaked), you should be fine since you're not going to hold the wine for long at all.

As for FedEx, FAIL.

amreli

kylemittskus wrote:As long as your corks aren't moist (the wine leaked), you should be fine since you're not going to hold the wine for long at all.

As for FedEx, FAIL.

Yeah, wasn't super concerned about it sitting around in this weather, more like just one more thing to annoy me about the whole affair.

And the last wine.woot I ordered was also a big FedEx fiasco...I tried to have them hold it at a FedEx store but didn't think about the fact that Washington DC is, in fact, across state lines from Virginia (not used to working and having my son in school in a different "state" from where we live). Ok, fine, they couldn't hold it where I requested, but initially they said it was still going to be delivered to my house, then they didn't know where it was, and eventually we had to pick it up at the distribution center.

kylemittskus

amreli wrote:Yeah, wasn't super concerned about it sitting around in this weather, more like just one more thing to annoy me about the whole affair.

And the last wine.woot I ordered was also a big FedEx fiasco...I tried to have them hold it at a FedEx store but didn't think about the fact that Washington DC is, in fact, across state lines from Virginia (not used to working and having my son in school in a different "state" from where we live). Ok, fine, they couldn't hold it where I requested, but initially they said it was still going to be delivered to my house, then they didn't know where it was, and eventually we had to pick it up at the distribution center.

Conclusion: your FedEx sucks!

bkarlan

quality posts: 46 Private Messages bkarlan

Before you talk to your fedex hub, talk to your fedex driver, that is if you are on good terms.

My fedex driver is my friend and, well we have an agreement (late fall thru early spring about what to do about wine deliveries).

If you and your driver are friends maybe there was something he/she did. If you talk to your hub, you can get him in trouble when in fact he was looking out for you.

On the other hand if you dont have an agreement with your driver, then go to your hub and have a talk with them.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse..." - John Stuart Mill

cortot20

quality posts: 137 Private Messages cortot20

Since 99% of wine woot shipments come via FedEx I just use the FedEx store as my shipping address. Works like a charm.

CT