CT link above

Winery website

Facebook
Twitter
Yelp

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

noslensj

quality posts: 42 Private Messages noslensj

I got the coveted first wooter to woot!!!!

I read the write up and it said everything I wanted to hear in a Chardonnay. Steel fermented nice acidity, with some SB. Looking forward to his.

In for one - I would have done more except I just today picked up three boxes that were waiting for me at FedEx, and I have another two in transit.

eluofthenine

quality posts: 8 Private Messages eluofthenine

Dat picture...

eluofthenine

quality posts: 8 Private Messages eluofthenine

winery has it for $16/bottle so it looks to be 25% off with $5 shipping.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 230 Private Messages kylemittskus

Low alcohol, low pH, low Brix, high TA, no oak -- this should be crisp as all hell.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 565 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

kylemittskus wrote:Low alcohol, low pH, low Brix, high TA, no oak -- this should be crisp as all hell.

Never thought of hell as crisp. Hot, yes. But crisp isn't a word I would have associated with it. I shall ponder this further.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

simplydumpling

quality posts: 3 Private Messages simplydumpling
ThunderThighs wrote:Never thought of hell as crisp. Hot, yes. But crisp isn't a word I would have associated with it. I shall ponder this further.

What about burnt to a crisp? If hell is hot, then all hell should be hotter, thus promoting crispness.

compudata

quality posts: 6 Private Messages compudata
simplydumpling wrote:What about burnt to a crisp? If hell is hot, then all hell should be hotter, thus promoting crispness.

Thus implying that this is a wine from hell? ;-)

pupyluvr

quality posts: 51 Private Messages pupyluvr

Krugsters

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Krugsters

Twins, charitable, no oak. I'm in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=tXwU9pGR8Vo

j105

quality posts: 1 Private Messages j105

perfect timing...whites running low with all these red woot deals...in for one.

JoshStein

quality posts: 14 Private Messages JoshStein
kylemittskus wrote:Low alcohol, low pH, low Brix, high TA, no oak -- this should be crisp as all hell.

It's definitely not a flabby white, but it's not as crisp as a Sauvignon Blanc. Chard is naturally a bit rounder, so the SB does add a bit of slate/mineral, adding to the perception of "sharpness"; I think we achieved a nice balance--everyone smiles when they taste, which is usually a good sign!

Stein Family Wine Group

JoshStein

pupyluvr wrote:Horse-mounted livestock herder Chardonnay?

If you can't make fun of yourself on your own wine labels, what's the fun of being a winemaker? ;)

Stein Family Wine Group

kylemittskus

quality posts: 230 Private Messages kylemittskus
ThunderThighs wrote:Never thought of hell as crisp. Hot, yes. But crisp isn't a word I would have associated with it. I shall ponder this further.

Hate. Lots and lots of hate.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

kyber944

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kyber944

I am looking for a refreshing summer wine for BBQs. How is this Chardonnay different from lets say a Viogner?

JoshStein

kyber944 wrote:I am looking for a refreshing summer wine for BBQs. How is this Chardonnay different from lets say a Viogner?

Good question. Viognier is highly aromatic, but it usually needs something in the mix to open it up: hence Marsanne, Roussanne, or Chardonnay is usually part of the package. In that sense, Viognier is further along that flavor spectrum away from oaked and ML-ed whites, but that comes at a cost for matching to food. Viognier has that distinct flavor profile which makes it harder to pair. This Vaquero Chard is a bit more mainstream in that sense given the kinds of fruits, apple and tropical, and the SB I added. It's a bit softer on the tongue and less angular than the Viognier would be. As I wrote above, this isn't a replacement for an SB, which is further towards citrus fruits, generally, but it has a distinct, long minerally finish: limestone without the cliffs, basically. And since it's Chard, it pairs to anything--it's wonderfully mutable in that way.

Stein Family Wine Group

kyber944

Thanks for the compare, contrast with the Viognier. I think you sold me.
I am always looking for something between the grapefruit citrus of the Chenin Blancs and the buttery Chardonnays.
Having BBQ chicken with mango salsa and a Lava Vine Viognier (Just came back from Napa).

JoshStein

kyber944 wrote:Thanks for the compare, contrast with the Viognier. I think you sold me.
I am always looking for something between the grapefruit citrus of the Chenin Blancs and the buttery Chardonnays.
Having BBQ chicken with mango salsa and a Lava Vine Viognier (Just came back from Napa).

Not an issue at all. Wine is versatile, and having an array of choices is a good thing in my book. Sometimes you want a star, a course unto itself, and sometimes you want a perfect match. Both take skill to produce. As a winemaker, I want variety; if it's not fun, it's not wine!

Your match to mango bbq is perfect--that's the kind of complimentarity Viognier needs: off the beaten track, in a good way. Enjoy!

Stein Family Wine Group

kyber944

JoshStein wrote:Not an issue at all. Wine is versatile, and having an array of choices is a good thing in my book. Sometimes you want a star, a course unto itself, and sometimes you want a perfect match. Both take skill to produce. As a winemaker, I want variety; if it's not fun, it's not wine!

Your match to mango bbq is perfect--that's the kind of complimentarity Viognier needs: off the beaten track, in a good way. Enjoy!

The strength of the Viognier and that Vanilla follow through was a nice compliment to the mango chicken. I will pair your wine maybe with a similar dish but with seafood mango. Life is good when we are talking about wine and food!

noslensj

quality posts: 42 Private Messages noslensj

Almost midnight and no bouncy button. Perhaps this will be back on another woot-off, and if this is as fine as I'm hoping, I will gladly pick up more then if I can.

juliusjunkie

quality posts: 0 Private Messages juliusjunkie

how's the finish on this?

JoshStein

juliusjunkie wrote:how's the finish on this?

Long and quite slatey/minerally--this is the best shellfish wine I've ever made

Stein Family Wine Group

lameduck

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lameduck

Has anyone received their package yet or, at least, a tracking number?

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 565 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

lameduck wrote:Has anyone received their package yet or, at least, a tracking number?

It's a bit early yet for a Wine shipment.

From the Wine.Woot FAQ:

How long is shipment going to take?
You should get your wine in 2-3 weeks, often sooner. We know the wait is kind of a drag. But it’s still gonna taste good (maybe even better), and since we leave it to the wineries to get the wine to you, you can count on their experience to send their wine using their expert methodologies.

So hang tight and thank you for your patience.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

lameduck

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lameduck

Yea, right after I posted I remember this was not from the woot off.

stacvand

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stacvand
lameduck wrote:Has anyone received their package yet or, at least, a tracking number?

There are times I waited 2-3 weeks before it was shipped. So patience is the key.