Xexus

quality posts: 6 Private Messages Xexus

After 271 runs, the DodgeBall contest has finally come to an end. Always on the move, life has whisked most of the regular contestants off to new endeavours, In the end, we had a few weeks where only one person or less was submitting entries. In fact, to follow the DodgeBall model, GodfatherND was the last man standing, and so is the final winner of the DodgeBall series!

Occassionally however, a funny idea comes to mind, and one thinks "Wouldn't that be a great idea to flesh out in Photoshop?" And so this thread is born. No themes or trophys, whatever you want to post is fine, keeping within the Woot TOS of course.

Signature censored by Woot

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus

Congrats to the Godfather!

Xexus wrote:...keeping within the Woot TOS of course.

dammit!

pute

quality posts: 1 Private Messages pute

my 2¢ ~

When the Woot contest was in its heyday and ran Friday to Sunday, Dodgeball followed close on its heels to give contest regulars something to do between contests (interestingly, Dodgeball's origins were with the poster immediately above this ^ :~). When the Woot contest went weekly, Dodgeball followed. I was a staunch supporter of Dodgeball until nearly the end, even suggesting (often) that the Woot contest be put back on track, ran by the Dodgeball regulars. When the Woot contest was officially derailed, Dodgeball was soon to follow.
My guess is that when woot! was small and had a close following of regulars: buyers, contest regulars, other forum regulars; the contest was allowed to flourish as a cute sideshow to the main attraction. Once woot! got big, the contest was too time-consuming, and there was likely fear of photo copyright violation suits, since woot! had become a $ignificantly bigger target. Once Amazon joined in, that further doomed the contest's chances of return. The other forums thrive (I guess, never played much there), but woot! outgrew the contest.
I'll miss them both.

KtCallista

quality posts: 32 Private Messages KtCallista
pute wrote:my 2¢ ~

When the Woot contest was in its heyday and ran Friday to Sunday, Dodgeball followed close on its heels to give contest regulars something to do between contests (interestingly, Dodgeball's origins were with the poster immediately above this ^ :~). When the Woot contest went weekly, Dodgeball followed. I was a staunch supporter of Dodgeball until nearly the end, even suggesting (often) that the Woot contest be put back on track, ran by the Dodgeball regulars. When the Woot contest was officially derailed, Dodgeball was soon to follow.
My guess is that when woot! was small and had a close following of regulars: buyers, contest regulars, other forum regulars; the contest was allowed to flourish as a cute sideshow to the main attraction. Once woot! got big, the contest was too time-consuming, and there was likely fear of photo copyright violation suits, since woot! had become a $ignificantly bigger target. Once Amazon joined in, that further doomed the contest's chances of return. The other forums thrive (I guess, never played much there), but woot! outgrew the contest.
I'll miss them both.

I miss them too! The shirt contest is just not the same. It's completely different techniques and while I can draw ok, drawing digitally is not something I've had the time to get good at. Heck my first couple photochops were practical example in the horror of digital photo manipulation, and depending on your skill level and my free time, they've probably only gotten marginally better.

Most of all I miss all the friendly people who would help out the newcomers, having something to chat about and the community of it all. The Shirt contest may have that now, I don't know, but in the beginning it was not that way. Dodgeball was a great way for us to keep our skills improving in a less threatening environment where the idea was more important than the execution - and I actually won stuff (I never won in the main contest). It also gave us a way to know each other.

I wonder how long until the EBW goes the same way as the contests. There's only a few of us regularly posting here, as opposed to the photochoping heyday.

Thanks so much Secret Santa!!

FenStar

quality posts: 16 Private Messages FenStar
KtCallista wrote:I miss them too! The shirt contest is just not the same. It's completely different techniques and while I can draw ok, drawing digitally is not something I've had the time to get good at. Heck my first couple photochops were practical example in the horror of digital photo manipulation, and depending on your skill level and my free time, they've probably only gotten marginally better.

Most of all I miss all the friendly people who would help out the newcomers, having something to chat about and the community of it all. The Shirt contest may have that now, I don't know, but in the beginning it was not that way. Dodgeball was a great way for us to keep our skills improving in a less threatening environment where the idea was more important than the execution - and I actually won stuff (I never won in the main contest). It also gave us a way to know each other.

I wonder how long until the EBW goes the same way as the contests. There's only a few of us regularly posting here, as opposed to the photochoping heyday.

Well if you you pardon me for a moment, the t-shirt contest is full of whining babies who think everything they do is great and that everyone else sucks.
When I got here the photo contests were more for good fun that for making money, even if wonderstew did win on a regular basis. We would all have a laugh, complain about Jason taking forever to send out the prizes. M.wiseman would make a monkey prize chop and so on. These kids now a days just aren't like they were back in the day.

Still single, can't imagine why.

KtCallista

quality posts: 32 Private Messages KtCallista
FenStar wrote:Well if you you pardon me for a moment, the t-shirt contest is full of whining babies who think everything they do is great and that everyone else sucks.
When I got here the photo contests were more for good fun that for making money, even if wonderstew did win on a regular basis. We would all have a laugh, complain about Jason taking forever to send out the prizes. M.wiseman would make a monkey prize chop and so on. These kids now a days just aren't like they were back in the day.

Sure and wonderstew as still nice to everyone. tgentry gave me pointers. LKK and Uncorked, gads I still want to be them when I grow up.

The issue was, sure there was money, but it wasn't money like the big "professional designer" contests, and the notoriety wasn't enough to really get you anything. So anyone could enter and even a poorly executed chop had a shot at winning because it was about the joke, not the technique. You can't sell shirts just based on the joke though. There is a big difference between something you wear or put up in your home and a joke you put on a webpage.

Thanks so much Secret Santa!!

fyrefall

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fyrefall

RIP Dodgeball. It was a great way to tiptoe into the regular contest before I knew any of the regulars.

-Fyrefall

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
KtCallista wrote:Most of all I miss all the friendly people who would help out the newcomers, having something to chat about and the community of it all.

FenStar wrote:Well if you you pardon me for a moment, the t-shirt contest is full of whining babies who think everything they do is great and that everyone else sucks.

... meh, you guys can suck it!

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
Xexus wrote:Occassionally however, a funny idea comes to mind, and one thinks "Wouldn't that be a great idea to flesh out in Photoshop?" And so this thread is born. No themes or trophys, whatever you want to post is fine, keeping within the Woot TOS of course.

i think it's a good idear to have these things in ebw. when it was in world of woot, i'd never see the dodgeball contest, because i'd rarely look at woot from original woot.com; at one point the colour scheme had changed and the poor contrast of text on background made reading woot.com really hard on my eyes, so i got in the habit of reading from shirt.woot instead. unfortunately, world of woot isn't visible from shirt.woot, so the dodgeball contest just disappeared for me.

AZGman

quality posts: 3 Private Messages AZGman
Xexus wrote:After 271 runs, the DodgeBall contest has finally come to an end. Always on the move, life has whisked most of the regular contestants off to new endeavours, In the end, we had a few weeks where only one person or less was submitting entries. In fact, to follow the DodgeBall model, GodfatherND was the last man standing, and so is the final winner of the DodgeBall series!.

I think everyone here, except no1, has missed the whole rationale for this thread. To wit:

Xexus wrote:Occassionally however, a funny idea comes to mind, and one thinks "Wouldn't that be a great idea to flesh out in Photoshop?" And so this thread is born. No themes or trophys, whatever you want to post is fine, keeping within the Woot TOS of course.

Carry on.

Grumpy 'til the day I die.

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
no1 wrote:i think it's a good idear to have these things in ebw.

I am a huge fan of more games and fun things in EBW in general.

I'm just hanging out, really.

pute

AZGman wrote:I think everyone here, except no1, has missed the whole rationale for this thread.

I guess that would be my fault; though I did post a picture. Sorry, Xexus, for derailing your post.

AZGman

pute wrote:I guess that would be my fault; though I did post a picture. Sorry, Xexus, for derailing your post.

Heck, at least you posted a pic!!!

I would, but I gots no skillz!

dontwantaname

quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

no1 wrote:i think it's a good idear to have these things in ebw. when it was in world of woot, i'd never see the dodgeball contest, because i'd rarely look at woot from original woot.com; at one point the colour scheme had changed and the poor contrast of text on background made reading woot.com really hard on my eyes, so i got in the habit of reading from shirt.woot instead. unfortunately, world of woot isn't visible from shirt.woot, so the dodgeball contest just disappeared for me.

I remember thinking they put it in the wrong forum when woot split into ebw and wow.
Just seemed like it was a ebw thing.

Got to admit, I forgot to look at dodgeball. I have no reason why.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

AZGman

Is that the clown whale GSA hired for their conference?

Xexus

Josephus wrote:All white Killer Whale Spotted Off Russia's East Coast

Comes in 59 Flavors!

AZGman

Xexus wrote:Comes in 59 Flavors!

MMMMMmmmm, chocolate banana blubber mint crunch!!!!

Josephus

AZGman wrote:MMMMMmmmm, chocolate banana blubber mint crunch!!!!

100% baleen free!

Orcrist42

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Orcrist42
FenStar wrote:We would all have a laugh, complain about Jason taking forever to send out the prizes.

Complain about Toon? No, no, no... I plan to show up when he is old and senile in some rundown little nursing home and get a room next door where I can remind him daily over reconstituted potatoes and chocolate pudding that he still owes me $120 from that Woot contest.

Yeah, I'll miss Dodgeball. I still sometimes find myself thinking in photochop mode... "hey that would make a good joke, I should go find some sources..."

but alas, I am afraid I am just as much a culprit to the demise as I got busy elsewhere.

Orcrist42

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Orcrist42

pute

Josephus

pute wrote:

careful, woot might steal your artwork, make sure you've copyrighted it.

pute

Josephus wrote:careful, woot might steal your artwork, make sure you've copyrighted it.

I should probably first check if it was copyrighted in the first place?

SBCJester21

quality posts: 9 Private Messages SBCJester21

As Q once said: "All good things, must come to an end."

And just so y'all know, you can actually still find the "Contest" forums... if you know where to look....

And lastly, I just saw this floating around FB:

Who can come up with the NEXT great boardgame/movie crossover?

GodfatherND

quality posts: 0 Private Messages GodfatherND

New evidence in the sinking of the Titanic.

Xexus

da779

quality posts: 0 Private Messages da779

Six Good Reasons to Try GIMP 2.8
Of all the many examples of excellent free and open source software out there, GIMP is surely among the best known examples for offering a no-cost and yet power-packed alternative to an extremely high-priced proprietary market leader.
On Thursday, the project's developers announced the release of GIMP 2.8, a new stable version that culminates more than three years of work.
^^^^ copied from article ^^^^
For the former Dodgeballer(s) who GIMPd their entries

Xexus

The Missing Duggar

Rumor has it that Season 10 of 19 Kids and Counting will introduce a new Duggar to the family, Jerome Duggar. Little is know yet on the nine year old's background, or why Jerome has been unnoticeablely absent in previous episodes. When asked, producers simply point out that Jerome has been unavailable due to his extensive hockey schedule.

Neither Jim Bob Duggar nor his wife Michelle could be reached for comments.

pooflady

quality posts: 20 Private Messages pooflady
Xexus wrote:The Missing Duggar

Rumor has it that Season 10 of 19 Kids and Counting will introduce a new Duggar to the family, Jerome Duggar. Little is know yet on the nine year old's background, or why Jerome has been unnoticeablely absent in previous episodes. When asked, producers simply point out that Jerome has been unavailable due to his extensive hockey schedule.

Neither Jim Bob Duggar nor his wife Michelle could be reached for comments.

//snicker//

Xexus