$19.99 + $5 shipping
CONDITION: New
PRODUCT: 1 Handmade Wood & Stainless Steel Corkscrew
TRIM: Mahogany Wood, Bamboo, True Bone, Rosewood, Anigre Wood, Ebony Wood

Website

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus

Is the cork a hint?

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

sdfreedive

quality posts: 24 Private Messages sdfreedive

heh I need a picnic knife and the Anigre wood one appears to be a knife corkscrew combo. That appears to be the only one of that sort in the mix.

bpr2

quality posts: 181 Private Messages bpr2

MaskedMarvel

quality posts: 11 Private Messages MaskedMarvel

mikop168

quality posts: 9 Private Messages mikop168

bought 3,
1 for myself, 2 for gifts...

maybe I should finally create a 2nd account and go for 6... looks like good discount and classy gift.

sodalite

quality posts: 11 Private Messages sodalite

i work in a nice restaurant and open many bottles of wine. the two step or double hinged style wine key is great for leverage for a smooth pull of the cork. the down side is the edge of the knife, i prefer a serrated edge on the blade for cleaner cut and removal of the foil.

pilote

quality posts: 5 Private Messages pilote

the Amigre wood version has only 3 turns on that corkscrew; that won't cut it for me...

all the rest are nice; rosewood and bamboo for me...

khunjeff

quality posts: 20 Private Messages khunjeff

These look really nice, but I already have so many corkscrews - including at least 8 or 10 to give as gifts - that I can't remotely justify buying more...

liverman

quality posts: 16 Private Messages liverman

I picked up two of these last time around http://wine.woot.com/Blog/ViewEntry.aspx?Id=22455. They are solid, weighty and appear well made. I have not really used them yet, so I cannot say how they will hold up to daily use. Mine are intended for when guests come over or to hand out as gifts.

I would like to know where they are made - they have a bit of the hand-made look and feel to them. The rivets are all hand set, the metal pieces appear hand-shaped, etc. The case is substantial, too.

Regards,

Greg

divadrabnud

quality posts: 8 Private Messages divadrabnud

I'm diggin' the rosewood . . .

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies and statistics."
- Mark Twain

zenophile

quality posts: 6 Private Messages zenophile

Is mahogany sustainable? It's endangered, and this matters hugely.

thesuppishwoot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thesuppishwoot

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x22yNaLdiGA

mdnorman

quality posts: 50 Private Messages mdnorman

While I was trying to decide the one I wanted sold out, so screw it.

brandonhbrown

quality posts: 0 Private Messages brandonhbrown

how come I can't be visibly intoxicated when this thing shows up? is that because i obviously won't need to open any more wines?

k1avg

quality posts: 82 Private Messages k1avg

Hmm...sounds like someone didn't quite think through their branding. Epernay is the town in the center of Champagne, where a certain type of wine is produced that, of course, generally does not require a corkscrew to open. Silly.

--
Lawyer (of sorts) by day. Drinker of fine wines, homebrewer of fine beers, connoisseur of fine Scotches by night.
The current holdings.

zenophile

mdnorman wrote:While I was trying to decide the one I wanted sold out, so screw it.

Or, rather, don't screw it
8-)

xxooss

quality posts: 12 Private Messages xxooss

I ordered the bone one last time it was here and just got it last week. I had almost forgot about it. Took a while to get here but WOW is it great. perfect craftsmanship and very well made. I love it.

phizzo

quality posts: 3 Private Messages phizzo

Is the French cheese knife french style or made in France?

CowboyDann

quality posts: 716 Private Messages CowboyDann

Rosewood is already sold out?

How many did you have? 5?

I'm debating whether or not I should sleep on buying the bamboo. I guess if it's sold out when I get to work tomorrow it wasn't meant to be.

zenophile

sdfreedive wrote:heh I need a picnic knife and the Anigre wood one appears to be a knife corkscrew combo. That appears to be the only one of that sort in the mix.

Agreed, but then the Corkscrew is of the'between the knees'variety. Horses for courses..

zenophile

xxooss wrote:I ordered the bone one last time it was here and just got it last week. I had almost forgot about it. Took a while to get here but WOW is it great. perfect craftsmanship and very well made. I love it.

The woot pictures are pretty crap: any chance you can tell us what that pattern is on it and or post us a pic?

micaelaanna

quality posts: 14 Private Messages micaelaanna

Wow...if Amazon is accurate...they are selling them for about $74 each. Good deal Woot. Here is a link to Amazon for a few more pictures...not much better than what is here though. But every little bit helps to get a better idea of the actual item.

http://www.amazon.com/Wine-Line-WL-N124-Chateau-Corkscrew/dp/B003XJE6CI

micaelaanna

quality posts: 14 Private Messages micaelaanna

Oh, and one more thing...is the True Bone (bovine) actual bone from an ox, cattle, etc.? Hard to know...I think I will avoid that one...although it has a unique look to it.

rpm

quality posts: 170 Private Messages rpm

Are these the same as the ones Woot has given with promotional materials sent to certain lab rats and/or hosts of woot gatherings?

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 563 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

zenophile wrote:The woot pictures are pretty crap: any chance you can tell us what that pattern is on it and or post us a pic?

Did you see the Additional Photos after the write-up? There's a labeled picture of each one.

FORUM MODERATOR.............ON VACATION!
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

brokesmoker

quality posts: 1 Private Messages brokesmoker

does that cork say Claritin-D?

kwyjibo73

quality posts: 4 Private Messages kwyjibo73

Love the look of these! I too have worked in nice restaurants opening wine like an earlier poster, but I prefer the non-serrated knife that these feature. I've found that the serrated knives on wine tools tend to snag and tear the foil, making a rather ragged and ugly mess of it, whereas with the smooth blades I can make a very quick,single line cut and pop off the top of the foil very neatly. Maybe it's just my poor technique with the serrated blades....

So I'm stoked that these are smooth bladed.

Cheapest I've found online is $56 + free shipping on eBay...

mstein609

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mstein609

I got the rosewood last time around. I can't speak to how they hold up after opening a few dozen cases - I have had both one of the cheap plastic wine keys and the two-wing style fall apart on me after repeated use! - but this one has done the trick for the few bottles I've had since it arrived.

I like the extra-long worm. I'm hoping it will work better than my previous tool on older bottles with more fragile corks.

halnwheels

quality posts: 9 Private Messages halnwheels
sodalite wrote:i work in a nice restaurant and open many bottles of wine. the two step or double hinged style wine key is great for leverage for a smooth pull of the cork. the down side is the edge of the knife, i prefer a serrated edge on the blade for cleaner cut and removal of the foil.

I like the double-hined type also... which I got at Chef Central for $12.99. I don't need the box so other than a gift, I don't get it.

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316

I have to step up and add to the discussion on these since I have a few very minor issues with this (as can be read on the previous woot of these items).

First of all, I would like to start off by saying this a very nice, heafty, well-made corkscrew that should last a very long time. It is nice, however I would never pay the Amazon price someone above noted, or even the $56 someone noted from Ebay. This is however a good price on a $35-40 corkscrew.

Now onto the two issues I had with mine:

1) The case is junk. It is very aesthetically pleasing, but it is not made well. When opening the case it makes a very loud squeak/squealing noise. It is almost as if the hinge is not straight or separated enough and it just grinds as you open it. I have not yet tried to see if any type of lubrication eliminates this noise, but it isn't something that I should have to worry about the minute I receive the product. The hinges are also not fastened into the case in any way, they pull out very easily. There is simply a small slot cut into each piece of the case and the hinge is slid in, not glued, not fastened, nothing.

2) Mine arrive with several small dings in the wood on one side of the handle (3 or 4 of them). From any distance they aren't really noticeable, but they are very noticeable to anyone who would be holding it. What I was not aware of, and learned from a previous post here (if it is true), is that the rivets are in the handle are hand-set. If this is true, it is likely the cause of the dents I am seeing in the wood, as it looks as if it was struck several times with an object.

Neither of these were big enough of issues for me send an email to customer service to request a refund, I just wanted to inform people who are looking to purchase this item. It is definitely worth $20 bucks and as noted, the case looks great but had design flaws.

With all of this being said, I am still considering picking up another one or two, either to keep or as gifts.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

Philbert4177

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Philbert4177

These look great! In for two. One for me and one should make a nice gift when combined with a nice bottle or two. Actually a nice gift without the bottles.

drewballa

quality posts: 0 Private Messages drewballa

I picked up the ebony wood version on the last woot and have used it several times. It looks good, and works great. Certainly more elegant than your average corkscrew. It has that "expensive" feel. If you are into that sort of thing, I wouldn't hesitate to hit the gold button. Or maybe I am justifying dropping $20 on something I had no need for what so ever. Though, I will reach past the several other corkscrew options everytime to use this one.

Winedavid39

quality posts: 200 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

rpm wrote:Are these the same as the ones Woot has given with promotional materials sent to certain lab rats and/or hosts of woot gatherings?

they are not.

WilfBrim

quality posts: 18 Private Messages WilfBrim

I bought three last time, one for me, one for the gf, recently upgraded to fiancee, and another for gifting. I'm buying three more for gifting. These are well made, look great, and will be welcomed by any wino or foodie you know.

joe43wv

quality posts: 14 Private Messages joe43wv

Cool, a corkscrew with a knife on the end. Now you can open a bottle of wine and play with the knife after you drink the bottle.

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
brokesmoker wrote:does that cork say Claritin-D?

If so, I wonder what kind of barrel composition it had...

I'm just hanging out, really.

jcarlton03

quality posts: 6 Private Messages jcarlton03

Wine Prices Increasing

This has nothing to do with today's offering, but I thought some of you would find this article interesting.

Bad news for wine buyers, CNBC is reporting wine prices to jump in the near future....starting with California wines. They cited high gas prices and grape shortages.

I would be interested in hearing more about the grape shortages. As a homebrewer I remember when hops were twice the price they are now due to short supplies (especially for the habitual brewers).

EDIT:

As suggested I went ahead and threw this into a different thread as to not take away from today's offering.

It's great to be a Florida Gator!

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
jcarlton03 wrote: Wine Prices Increasing

This has nothing to do with today's offering, but I thought some of you would find this article interesting.

Bad news for wine buyers, CNBC is reporting wine prices to jump in the near future....starting with California wines. They cited high gas prices and grape shortages.

I would be interested in hearing more about the grape shortages. As a homebrewer I remember when hops were twice the price they are now due to short supplies (especially for the habitual brewers).

This totally merits its own thread IMO. Feel free to start one, because I would love to follow this as it goes.

I'm just hanging out, really.