2 2008 Barbera, Amador County, Oakmont Vineyards
CT links above

Winery website

Previous offer:
11/8/11

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

marlin8765

quality posts: 1 Private Messages marlin8765

http://www.langwines.com/

timothyc273

quality posts: 2 Private Messages timothyc273

I've had great experiences with the reds from oakmont, but I've never tried their barbera before. Wouldn't be surprised if it were also awesome. Anyone have some info on this specific variety?

klezman

quality posts: 122 Private Messages klezman

So very tempted. Amador Barbera is where it's at! I just got the Wellington, though, and really really shouldn't spend more on wine. Even at $12/bottle delivered. I could maybe be convinced to split with somebody though.

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

bkarlan

quality posts: 46 Private Messages bkarlan

Why the change in the 2008 vintage to include a 10% blend of zin?

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse..." - John Stuart Mill

nxlinc

quality posts: 3 Private Messages nxlinc

They had me at aromas of bacon, plus I need to rebuild my wine stash after the burglary. In for one.

jimjacks66

quality posts: 32 Private Messages jimjacks66

I love Barbera and am excited to try this. Not had this winery's Barbera. But First Sucker is a plus. Can't beat $11 per bottle...

bolligra

quality posts: 33 Private Messages bolligra

I'm not very good at discerning the different tastes/flavors from wine descriptions, but could someone tell me what "campfire" tastes like? It's in the write-up for the 2006 wine. ;)

As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

rjquillin

quality posts: 174 Private Messages rjquillin
klezman wrote:So very tempted. Amador Barbera is where it's at! I just got the Wellington, though, and really really shouldn't spend more on wine. Even at $12/bottle delivered. I could maybe be convinced to split with somebody though.

After 3X Wellington, I agree. Split?

CT

jimjacks66

C.G. di Arie Winery is from Amador County and I loved their wines offered on wine.woot so much that I joined their wine club. Only wine club outside of Washington State that I am a member of. This should be good. I hope...

jimjacks66

What is the drinking window for each offering?

shiftkey

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shiftkey

AHHHHHH so tempting. I've been waiting for some Barbera, but I don't need six bottles. I actually have a bottle of the '07, but I haven't tried it out yet. I might have to just hold off and hope it comes up in the next woot-off.

bigjseph

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bigjseph

I just opened the 2007 last week that I got during a wootoff and enjoyed it quite a bit. Served with just simple spaghetti in a roasted garlic marinara.

Nice deep garnet color. Big sticky legs. Some cranberry on the nose for me.
Again tasted cranberry plus some earthy spice, little tannin, good amount of acid, some fire from the alcohol(I think the bottle said 15% not the 14 on the site). Nice long finish too.

I would say this is definitely a great deal. Too bad I'm strapped for cash.

greyday

quality posts: 52 Private Messages greyday

Just after I said "No more wine purchases, my cellar runneth over and I have to bottle my own fruit wines yet" and all, but I'm a sucker for Barbera. In for one.

richardhod

quality posts: 261 Private Messages richardhod
rjquillin wrote:After 3X Wellington, I agree. Split?

If he doesn't, I can.

Barbera, first loved Scott Harvey's. Ripeness, red fruit and great acidity, in Amador, its perfect California growing region. 'No Zinfandel to dilute this woot. Even straight after an auto 3x buy from Wellington this is sorely tempting

micahfishes

quality posts: 6 Private Messages micahfishes

Every bottle of Lang wine I've bought is wonderful. Especially for the price range. Just had the 07 Barbera a couple nights ago and it was everyone's favorite. The 07 Zin is even yummier in my opinion though!

lipophilia

quality posts: 11 Private Messages lipophilia

If nothing else, this would be a great (low cost) intro for folks who have never done a vertical before.

bcperlow

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bcperlow

this looks like a steal today... interesting the '08 went stelvin and added zin. would love to hear from lang on this. in for one anyhow!

scribbly

gtcharlie

quality posts: 5 Private Messages gtcharlie
micahfishes wrote:Every bottle of Lang wine I've bought is wonderful. Especially for the price range. Just had the 07 Barbera a couple nights ago and it was everyone's favorite. The 07 Zin is even yummier in my opinion though!

Love the Zin as well. At this price the only question is one or two.

gregorylane

quality posts: 15 Private Messages gregorylane
richardhod wrote:If he doesn't, I can.

Barbera, first loved Scott Harvey's. Ripeness, red fruit and great acidity, in Amador, its perfect California growing region. 'No Zinfandel to dilute this woot. Even straight after an auto 3x buy from Wellington this is sorely tempting

Even I bought this RH.

There is really no point in trying to explain liberty to people who don't understand what it means.
rpm-2012

threemoons

quality posts: 18 Private Messages threemoons

I *heart* Barberra. In for one. Available to rat.

gemeinschaft79

quality posts: 2 Private Messages gemeinschaft79

The winery sells the 2007 for roughly $16/bottle which reflects the case discount. Woot's $12/bottle price is a good discount on a well-reviewed wine. Plus there are notes of bacon in the bottles. Bacon.

@awriteword

My Cellar

My Blog

tonycyndy

quality posts: 14 Private Messages tonycyndy

Bacon and campfires. Is there an intelligent reason not to go in on this? I think not. I'm in.

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316

Did they really have to put this up right after some Wellington, which of course was an autobuy? I was almost bought the mixed case of barbera/zin previous, just for the Barbera. Now you put up a cheap barbera vertical right after wellington, and also the day after I receive my case of Gard whites. I'm pretty sure there is probably a woot-off ready to start up next week as well. I'm going to have to ponder this one for awhile.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

losthighwayz

quality posts: 59 Private Messages losthighwayz

Went in blind based on the bouncing yellow oval. Talk about impulse shopping! Hate/love you WW

Current numbers (updated each minute)
First sucker: jimjacks66
Speed to first woot: 1m 6.320s
Last wooter to woot: losthighwayz

"The older I get the better I was"

renae78

quality posts: 1 Private Messages renae78
losthighwayz wrote:Went in blind based on the bouncing yellow oval. Talk about impulse shopping! Hate/love you WW

Current numbers (updated each minute)
First sucker: jimjacks66
Speed to first woot: 1m 6.320s
Last wooter to woot: losthighwayz

Same here. Was hoping to see some input from the maker, but the bouncing yellow oval, along with the comments here, convinced me.

naenae

alisonsilliman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages alisonsilliman

Can somebody please explain what a vertical is?

North316

alisonsilliman wrote:Can somebody please explain what a vertical is?

Consecutive vintages of the same varietal, ie in this case, 2006, 2007 and 2008 of Barbera by the same maker.

My CT

mgberg

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mgberg

multiple (often consecutive) year offerings of the same varietal from the same winery

North316

Woot made my decision for me. The ball was bouncing and I was debating, then bam, it was sold out.

My CT

alisonsilliman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages alisonsilliman
North316 wrote:Consecutive vintages of the same varietal, ie in this case, 2006, 2007 and 2008 of Barbera by the same maker.

Thank you!

sfabian37

quality posts: 3 Private Messages sfabian37

Man... 2 days in a row that I waited too long. Pretty bummed (again)

Oh well, congrats on the sell out.

SmilingBoognish

quality posts: 47 Private Messages SmilingBoognish

Sold out before 10am pacific?

likesstuff

quality posts: 4 Private Messages likesstuff

That was fast! Not that I have room for more reds...

klezman

quality posts: 122 Private Messages klezman
rjquillin wrote:After 3X Wellington, I agree. Split?

Yeah, I'm game. If you or Richard bought, either way.

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

kaugsburger

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kaugsburger

A "vertical" are consecutive vintages (years)from the same winery, also usually the same grape and appellation. I think it is fun to compare and notice the slight differences the weather chnges have on the taste. Looking forward to try........thanks Mike for splitting!!

yorknh

quality posts: 3 Private Messages yorknh

Thank you to all who contributed to the sell-out. I was almost at the breaking point, at least now I can happily continue my day without being tortured by the desire to buy more wine.

time2testit

quality posts: 14 Private Messages time2testit

You can always check in with me for splits or individual bottles too. I didn't get in on this or Wellington (or the one before) in time so I would be up for a bottle here or there.

rjquillin

quality posts: 174 Private Messages rjquillin
SmilingBoognish wrote:Sold out before 10am pacific?

And we thought the Wellingtons went fast.

CT