Twitter
Yelp

Previous offers:
1/23/12
9/6/11

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

trifecta

quality posts: 71 Private Messages trifecta

Has anyone bought a summerland off woot and liked it? I had such a terrible tasting experience at their tasting room that I simply won't buy.

cortot20

quality posts: 136 Private Messages cortot20
trifecta wrote:Has anyone bought a summerland off woot and liked it? I had such a terrible tasting experience at their tasting room that I simply won't buy.

I didn't enjoy their tasting room either and also do not buy their wines because of it. Staff was unhelpful to us who were trying seriously taste their wines but were very accommodating to a large adjacent group that had already been over served.

And I didn't enjoy their wines either.

Next please.

CT

hyperite

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hyperite
trifecta wrote:Has anyone bought a summerland off woot and liked it? I had such a terrible tasting experience at their tasting room that I simply won't buy.

same. they were pushing their club way too hard, and were inattentive when I had questions or wanted to try something that wasn't currently in their hand.

pass.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus

Interesting. First three comments could potentially ruin the winery's opportunity to sell their wine to our community. Look at us prove the business schools' teachings about the importance of recognizing social media's impact. All of that said, I feel confident in saying that we are more than open to hearing from the winery, both about the wine and about the tasting room experiences wooters have had.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

Secunza

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Secunza

Pass, not even if it was free.

simplydumpling

quality posts: 3 Private Messages simplydumpling
kylemittskus wrote:Interesting. First three comments could potentially ruin the winery's opportunity to sell their wine to our community. Look at us prove the business schools' teachings about the importance of recognizing social media's impact. All of that said, I feel confident in saying that we are more than open to hearing from the winery, both about the wine and about the tasting room experiences wooters have had.

First and foremost, Happy Easter. Secondly, I, too, would like to hear from the winery. Thirdly, is each bottle stamped with a bottle number? Forthly, push me over the edge; I need justification for SWMBO.

Grazie amigos!

kevin0425

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kevin0425

I had the same experience at their tasting room the last time I was down there (I live in No. CA). The staff generally ignored my friend and me; they were paying attention to a larger group that was there before us. The wines that I did get to taste were average at best, and I had (and purchased) better pinots elsewhere that trip.

As I'm obviously not the only one who had this experience, I'd love to hear from the winery!

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 178 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

Happy Easter!!!! And Passover!!!

And

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

eridenou

quality posts: 0 Private Messages eridenou

Wow? Nothing but negative comments regarding the vineyard... no thanks.

jmdavidson

quality posts: 55 Private Messages jmdavidson
Cesare wrote:Summerland Vineyard Designate Pinot Noir
$49.99 + $5 shipping
CONDITION: Red
PRODUCTS:
1 2008 Wolff Vineyard Edna Valley Pinot Noir
1 2008 Solomon Hills Vineyard Santa Maria Valley Pinot Noir
CT links above

Winery website

Facebook
Twitter
Yelp

Previous offers:
1/23/12
9/6/11

Another previous offer was 09/14/2011:Summerland Bien Nacido X Block Syrah - 2 Pack

funbunny

quality posts: 25 Private Messages funbunny

Happy Easter and Passover. Happy Bunny Day to those who don't celebrate the former two!

"Wine is sunshine held together by water" - Galileo Galilei

hld1970

quality posts: 16 Private Messages hld1970
kylemittskus wrote:Interesting. First three comments could potentially ruin the winery's opportunity to sell their wine to our community. Look at us prove the business schools' teachings about the importance of recognizing social media's impact. All of that said, I feel confident in saying that we are more than open to hearing from the winery, both about the wine and about the tasting room experiences wooters have had.

The silence from the winery speaks volumes. Seems as if they are not attentive on here as well. Woot staff, is anyone from the winery actually scheduled to be online here?

Trcseb

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Trcseb

Happy Easter to all of my fellow winewooters and due to the negative comments I will have to passover this deal.

cortot20

hld1970 wrote:The silence from the winery speaks volumes. Seems as if they are not attentive on here as well. Woot staff, is anyone from the winery actually scheduled to be online here?

The last two times summerland wines were offered here they had good winery participation however this time around we might have scared the rep off with the negative tasting room reviews.

Oh well, I wasn't looking for a defense from the winery (that damage is already done) but was interested in what they had to say about the wines offered here today.

CT

liverman

quality posts: 16 Private Messages liverman

Happy Passover and Easter to all!!

I will pass on this one...not ready to take a gamble. My cellar is way too full :-)

I'm off to dinner with the relatives (I bring the wine!!! :-) ). I'll check ya'll tomorrow!

Regards,

Greg

thumbsup34

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thumbsup34

I have been lurking around for last week or so to see what will get me to buy some wine. You guys on the forum are the best. I think I will pass too. Its a shame that a place can actively hurt its self.

eluofthenine

quality posts: 7 Private Messages eluofthenine

Lol, winewooters are the best. I was gonna resurrect my wine woot career today but apparently not for this one...

cagduc

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cagduc

Folks, the question for those of us who aren't planning to visit the winery (now or ever) is simply this: Is the wine a good value? The opinions, so far, seem to ignore that for the most part. Steve Jobs was reported to be a jerk, ya know, yet his "stuff" was pretty darn good. Thanks.

trifecta

cagduc wrote:Folks, the question for those of us who aren't planning to visit the winery (now or ever) is simply this: Is the wine a good value? The opinions, so far, seem to ignore that for the most part. Steve Jobs was reported to be a jerk, ya know, yet his "stuff" was pretty darn good. Thanks.

The wines were average at best and terrible QPRs.

stratma

quality posts: 11 Private Messages stratma

I don't know anything about this particular wine. But as far as Summerland, I liked both their Bien Nacido X Block Syrah and the Rhone blend from their previous woot offerings.

summerlandlove

quality posts: 3 Private Messages summerlandlove

I am sorry to hear that and would like to make it up to you. We try to hire the best staff in the region to provide an excellent tasting experience. This is very unfortunate. If you like, I will invite you to the winery for a private tasting.
Cheers,
Etienne

summerlandlove

stratma wrote:I don't know anything about this particular wine. But as far as Summerland, I liked both their Bien Nacido X Block Syrah and the Rhone blend from their previous woot offerings.

They are both lovely hand crafted wines from the Central Coast region of California. Each wine has at least four different clones of Pinot noir in them and are aged in 100% French oak.
Cheers,
Etienne

summerlandlove

trifecta wrote:The wines were average at best and terrible QPRs.

If I can speak for myself. I am not a jerk. Well, my wife sometimes calls me that but for the most part I am a nice guy. She does still drink my wine.

We try our best to make the best possible wine and give people a great experience when they visit the tasting room in Summerland. Its great to here this feed back so we can correct our wrongs.
Cheers,
Etienne Terlinden
Winemaker

summerlandlove

MarkDaSpark wrote:Happy Easter!!!! And Passover!!!

And

My kids really liked your post.
Cheers,
Etiene

summerlandlove

Happy Easter,
Well After all those posts I hope our tasting room can rise and ascend to greatness.
It sounds like I have my marching orders to go to the tasting room on Monday and fix these problems.
Thanks for the feedback. I hope if you give us another chance at the tasting room the experience will be excellent.
Cheers,
Etienne Terlinden
Winemaker

p2002

quality posts: 8 Private Messages p2002

Its great to here this feed back so we can correct our wrongs.
Cheers,
Etienne Terlinden
Winemaker[/quote]

For the most part WineWooters give a fair shake to visiting winemakers, and as such I encourage your participation.
One or two negative comments usually will not bias me to the same degree positive winery participation will. But I do note the 'join date' of wooters who commented. The experience and purchase history of these individuals makes this an auto pass for me this time around. I am curious to see if this PR miss-fire can be turned around.
rk

summerlandlove

Cesare wrote:Summerland Vineyard Designate Pinot Noir
$49.99 + $5 shipping
CONDITION: Red
PRODUCTS:
1 2008 Wolff Vineyard Edna Valley Pinot Noir
1 2008 Solomon Hills Vineyard Santa Maria Valley Pinot Noir
CT links above

Winery website

Facebook
Twitter
Yelp

Previous offers:
1/23/12
9/6/11

Honestly,these wines are fantastic. If you do a little research on Solomon Hills Vineyard located in the Santa Maria AVA and Wolff Vineyard located in the Edna Valley AVA. You will find a lot of good press In particular the Summerland offerings.
The Woff Vineyard is owned and farmed by Jean-Pierre Wolff and his sons. The vineyard is a wonderful sight in Edna Valley. The blocks of Pinot noir I get from the vineyard are farmed to produce low yields with quality in mind. Four Dijon clones are harvested, fermented, oak aged, blended and bottled. This wine has balance and depth and has evolved into an awesome wine.
Cheers,
Etienne

summerlandlove

hld1970 wrote:The silence from the winery speaks volumes. Seems as if they are not attentive on here as well. Woot staff, is anyone from the winery actually scheduled to be online here?

Yes, I am here. Happy Easter.

Cheers,

Etienne

trifecta

summerlandlove wrote:I am sorry to hear that and would like to make it up to you. We try to hire the best staff in the region to provide an excellent tasting experience. This is very unfortunate. If you like, I will invite you to the winery for a private tasting.
Cheers,
Etienne

Etienne - I found it unfortunate as well. I totally understand that you can't know what the staff is doing at all times. If I am heading back to SB I will definitely contact you and give your wines another chance.

tercerowines

quality posts: 31 Private Messages tercerowines

I'd like to chime in here and vouch not only for Etienne as a winemaker and a person, but for the vineyard sourcing on these two wines as well.

I'm quite familiar with Solomon Hills - it is a vineyard owned and farmed by the Miller family, who also own Bien Nacido. It speaks of Santa Maria Valley, and the pinots that come out of here tend to have a great balance between fruit intensity, acid, and spice. There are many well known wineries throughout the central coast that source from this vineyard as well.

The Wolff vineyard is in a cooler climate in the Edna Valley. I have not had any pinots from this vineyard, but have heard great things - and knowing Etienne's steady hand with pinot, I'm sure this wine is a good QPR.

Sorry to hear about the pour experiences in the tasting room - all I can say is take Etienne up on his offer to try to 'make things right' . . . I'm sure he'll succeed.

Cheers!

Larry Schaffer
tercero wines
www.tercerowines.com
larry@tercerowines.com

summerlandlove

Solomon Hills Vineyard is located in the Santa Maria Valley AVA in Santa Barbara county.

Etienne

summerlandlove

trifecta wrote:Etienne - I found it unfortunate as well. I totally understand that you can't know what the staff is doing at all times. If I am heading back to SB I will definitely contact you and give your wines another chance.

Thank you and I will be looking forward to the visit. If you would like to stop by the winery, it is located at:
90 Easy Street
Buellton, CA 93427

Cheers,
Etienne

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 178 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
summerlandlove wrote:My kids really liked your post.
Cheers,
Etiene

Thanks!

And be aware that your participation here can really help. Especially when you talk about your winemaking and the wines up now.

Bad tasting staff does not always equal bad wine, but excellent winery participation always helps sales here. Thanks for popping in here on Easter!!

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

neilfindswine

quality posts: 168 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

Checking in between Easter meals; Happy Easter Sunday and Passover season...

Brutally honest boards today and as Kyle pointed out; a lesson on the impact of social media (and the importance of good customer service).

Just my 2 cents as far as the wines are concerned, both of these Pinots are solid wines, from esteemed fruit sources, deserving of Black Tie status, IMHO. I agree with an earlier post referencing their Trio GSM and the Bien Nacido X-Block Syrah, also both solid.

Thanks to Etienne for jumping in to face the music and discuss the wines on a holiday Sunday morn'.

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

neilfindswine

quality posts: 168 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

MarkDaSpark wrote:Thanks!

And be aware that your participation here can really help. Especially when you talk about your winemaking and the wines up now.

Bad tasting staff does not always equal bad wine, but excellent winery participation always helps sales here. Thanks for popping in here on Easter!!

My 3 year old daughter was first exposed to 'Peanut Butter Jelly Time" a few months ago, after looking over my shoulder as I was perusing the Woot boards and landing on one of your posts. I had to show her more of the 'dancing banana.'

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

cortot20

MarkDaSpark wrote:Thanks!

I completely agree with you on the bad customer service does not equal bad wine point. However bad customer service does mean your wines will not be tasted fairly by many consumers. The tasting room is your first chance at creating loyal customers, through education and simple attentiveness you can create customers for life.

I have had both amazing tasting room Experiences and poor experiences, summerland in the fall of 2010 was among my worst and haven't touched their wines since. I like to give everyone a fair shake so maybe next time I head up the Santa Barbara wine trail I'll stop in again and see how things are going.

For an example of tasting rooms done well, visit Carr, Santa Barbara winery, or municipal winemakers in Santa Barbara. All three of these wineries provided excellent customer service above all else and in one case made a club member out of me.

The wines offered today by their individual write ups seem to counter balance each other nicely, 1 showing restraint while the other is more fruit forward. Would the winemaking philosophy at summerland let these wines express the land that they originate from or was there a specific flavor profile that the winemaker was going for for each of these wines? I'd like to know a little more about the winemakers own personal style and philosophy?

CT

summerlandlove

cortot20 wrote:I completely agree with you on the bad customer service does not equal bad wine point. However bad customer service does mean your wines will not be tasted fairly by many consumers. The tasting room is your first chance at creating loyal customers, through education and simple attentiveness you can create customers for life.

I have had both amazing tasting room Experiences and poor experiences, summerland in the fall of 2010 was among my worst and haven't touched their wines since. I like to give everyone a fair shake so maybe next time I head up the Santa Barbara wine trail I'll stop in again and see how things are going.

For an example of tasting rooms done well, visit Carr, Santa Barbara winery, or municipal winemakers in Santa Barbara. All three of these wineries provided excellent customer service above all else and in one case made a club member out of me.

The wines offered today by their individual write ups seem to counter balance each other nicely, 1 showing restraint while the other is more fruit forward. Would the winemaking philosophy at summerland let these wines express the land that they originate from or was there a specific flavor profile that the winemaker was going for for each of these wines? I'd like to know a little more about the winemakers own personal style and philosophy?

My winemaking philosophy is to let the terroir express itself through minimal intervention. I dont use a lot of modern technology or a recipe to make monochromatic wines. I do try to shape the wine through blending, to make a wine that is balanced on the pallate. This is where the art of winemaking comes in. There is deffinately a thread of flavors through the wines that respects the AVA. But the blending adds the harmony.
Cheers,
Etienne

eluofthenine

quality posts: 7 Private Messages eluofthenine

well seeing as in it's coming to the end of the wine shipping season for me, i do find myself coming back to this despite the bad press initially. i am always looking for a good deal on a "black tie" wine, and this seems pretty good. both wines are $40 on the winery website, so $50 for two shipped is a nice discount. the ct writeup for each is extremely limited, so i'm not sure on the quality of these wines. also when i buy a wine like this i usually put it away and so drinking window is always a question. i like wines that will keep in the 5-7 year window and for pn, this seems to be a little more difficult to find usually.

so can etienne tell us more on the projected window??