mommadeb1


quality posts: 17 Private Messages mommadeb1

super yummm!!

klezman


quality posts: 119 Private Messages klezman
richardhod wrote:heh heh, ICS tonight! I worked out what was wrong with my kies connection for the S2
seriously, google will help you. I've found several pretty good ones.



Everything I've yet found doesn't have useful information for actually doing it. They all seem to assume you already know what's going on. Not so in this case :/

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

Moondragon


quality posts: 8 Private Messages Moondragon
MarkDaSpark wrote:There's one with your name on it. Add it to what you owe me.



Woo! He can be the replacement for the orange one I left on the boat in NY.

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 174 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
Moondragon wrote:Woo! He can be the replacement for the orange one I left on the boat in NY.



Which Orange one? I should have a spare.


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

mommadeb1


quality posts: 17 Private Messages mommadeb1
bhodilee wrote:Tornadoes in the DFW area. Some crazy video on CNN.



I have family in the area! So far they are ok..

ddeuddeg


quality posts: 26 Private Messages ddeuddeg
richardhod wrote:Two, I bet that one hardly eats anyway and looks like a rake. the fussy ones always do. So, in a seven-course meal, she can just lump it for two or three courses, or have a salad.

Three, especially since if I'm a guest at something I don't go specifying my preferences "no peanut butter, no celery," I just hope, and will make do. Furthermore Celery is like onions (and carrots): great in sauce bases anyway! So, how does she get to do this? Not in any social universe but a me-oriented one!

Four, you offered this out of the goodness of your heart. This must not be something that pus you out... life's too short, and it's their problem not yours, so make the solution which you find to be right. I have some options beyond the "they'll miss out on some flavours", and i bet others do too.

/rant on your behalf


And a dandy rant it is. Actually, she's not so bad; she puts in a huge amount of effort as our Managing Director, often working well beyond the hours for which she's compensated to make events like last Saturday's dinner/auction a success. I'm sure she'll get enough to eat, and she'll help make it a fun evening when we get that dinner group together.
I always make sure to check ahead for food allergies, and in the four years bahwm and I have been doing this, there have been very few issues with that. Everyone always leaves with the feeling they've gotten far more than their money's worth. And we're tired, but satisfied that we've made people happy while putting lots more $ into the treasury than the actual cost of the dinner.
Talk about entitlement, though. This year, when the bidding on our dinner reached record levels, I signaled the auctioneer that we'd be willing to do dinner for the 2 high bidders, she made the mistake of not offering the second high bidder a chance to match the high bid, and gave it to them for their last bid. This caused the high bidder to complain to one of our staff members, and ask if they could bring an extra guest to make up the difference. The answer is no, but I really want to tell her to read Matthew 20.
When all is said and done, we'll have worked our tails off planning and executing a couple of 7 course meals, our wine cellar will be a bit less overfull, and we'll have the satisfaction of making some generous benefactors very happy and our Shakespeare treasury $1500 richer. Well worth the effort, IMNSHO.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne


Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

tommythecat78


quality posts: 18 Private Messages tommythecat78
MarkDaSpark wrote:+1


Or you could put more Garlic in then ... one can never have too much Garlic! Especially with all the Vampires out and about!



That's just mean.

___________________________________________________________________________________________
My Cellar (has not been updated in forever)
Do the people want fire that can be applied nasally? -Golgafrinchan Marketing Consultant

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 174 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
tommythecat78 wrote:That's just mean.



Sorry, I meant to say the Sunlight-Impaired.


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

cortot20


quality posts: 132 Private Messages cortot20

I have an 04' acura TL with 88k miles on it and has thus far given me no trouble, last Thursday I noticed it was idling a little rough, Friday it was a little worse, late Friday night on my way home from my inlaws it started shaking pretty bad and felt like the cylinders were misfiring and I had to pull behind a truck on the freeway and exit at the next exit (which was mine luckily).

I got the car into the driveway and turned it off, I woke up the next morning to it not starting at all.

So I had it towed to my mechanic (AAA is wonderful BTW)where he informs me that my #5 spark plug loosened and melted, along with the injection coil and also damaged the threads on the cylinder head. He suggested I take it to the original dealer and see if they can work something out with Acura corporate. Crazy thing is that the recommended spark plug replacement at 100K hadn't been done yet, so no one had touched the plugs since day one.

I get it towed to the dealer where they tell me just what my mechanic told me and said that its all out of warranty but will make a claim with the factory since they have had some similar cases recently. They gave me a loaner and sent me on my way.

I love/hate cars!
any thoughts?

CT

tommythecat78


quality posts: 18 Private Messages tommythecat78
MarkDaSpark wrote:Sorry, I meant to say the Sunlight-Impaired.



For being sunlight-impaired I certainly looooves me some garlic!!!

Onions on the other hand should have some sort of plague that wipes them from the face of the earth...along with mayonnaise...especially mayonnaise.

___________________________________________________________________________________________
My Cellar (has not been updated in forever)
Do the people want fire that can be applied nasally? -Golgafrinchan Marketing Consultant

tommythecat78


quality posts: 18 Private Messages tommythecat78
cortot20 wrote:I have an 04' acura TL with 88k miles on it and has thus far given me no trouble, last Thursday I noticed it was idling a little rough, Friday it was a little worse, late Friday night on my way home from my inlaws it started shaking pretty bad and felt like the cylinders were misfiring and I had to pull behind a truck on the freeway and exit at the next exit (which was mine luckily).

I got the car into the driveway and turned it off, I woke up the next morning to it not starting at all.

So I had it towed to my mechanic (AAA is wonderful BTW)where he informs me that my #5 spark plug loosened and melted, along with the injection coil and also damaged the threads on the cylinder head. He suggested I take it to the original dealer and see if they can work something out with Acura corporate. Crazy thing is that the recommended spark plug replacement at 100K hadn't been done yet, so no one had touched the plugs since day one.

I get it towed to the dealer where they tell me just what my mechanic told me and said that its all out of warranty but will make a claim with the factory since they have had some similar cases recently. They gave me a loaner and sent me on my way.

I love/hate cars!
any thoughts?



Not that this helps with your current situation, but...

I have been told by every mechanic that I have ever known that waiting until the 100,000 mile mark to change your plugs/wires is a very bad idea. They will pretty much have welded themselves in place by that point.

On my last car I had them changed at about 85,000 miles and two of them were extremely hard to get out and the other 4 were no picnic.

___________________________________________________________________________________________
My Cellar (has not been updated in forever)
Do the people want fire that can be applied nasally? -Golgafrinchan Marketing Consultant

mother


quality posts: 15 Private Messages mother
tommythecat78 wrote:
I have been told by every mechanic that I have ever known that waiting until the 100,000 mile mark to change your plugs/wires is a very bad idea. They will pretty much have welded themselves in place by that point.



Well in at least one case, obviously not! (Sorry Cor)

bhodilee


quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee

What does one do with a parsnip? I bought some because I've never had them and thought, hey I should buy this. I know there are a billion, roughly, recipes on the webz, but I want something tried and true.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

cortot20


quality posts: 132 Private Messages cortot20
tommythecat78 wrote:

I have been told by every mechanic that I have ever known that waiting until the 100,000 mile mark to change your plugs/wires is a very bad idea. They will pretty much have welded themselves in place by that point.



Is this number somewhere between 1 mechanic and 4,000 mechanics?

I had an Acura previously and i remember swapping out the belts and plugs at around 90K. So I am sure I would have done the same with this car later in the year. But, I would think that the factory and dealers would be more flexible. If the factory says the plugs don't get changed until 100K then the dealers don't do it until 100K. My own mechanic does it around 90K so I am sure it would have been done soon.

CT

mother


quality posts: 15 Private Messages mother
bhodilee wrote:What does one do with a parsnip? I bought some because I've never had them and thought, hey I should buy this. I know there are a billion, roughly, recipes on the webz, but I want something tried and true.



Either fine dice with some carrots and toss into homemade chicken soup a few minutes before serving, or do mash them about 50/50 with potatoes and lots of butter...

Or a puree with butter and cream...

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 174 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
bhodilee wrote:What does one do with a parsnip? I bought some because I've never had them and thought, hey I should buy this. I know there are a billion, roughly, recipes on the webz, but I want something tried and true.




Give it to someone they hate??


And I can't help on the car issues ... since I'm not sure I've ever had a car with more than 40K miles on it. Although if someone hadn't run into my old Scion, I might have gone over it then.

I really got spoiled when working at Hyundai, where we got to lease a new car each year.


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

bhodilee


quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
mother wrote:Either fine dice with some carrots and toss into homemade chicken soup a few minutes before serving, or do mash them about 50/50 with potatoes and lots of butter...

Or a puree with butter and cream...



So, what I'm gathering is they're not great on their own?

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

mommadeb1


quality posts: 17 Private Messages mommadeb1

It is 90 here!!! and I think I got the stomach bug going around.... yippie... maybe I can loose some weight, only eating brown rice!! ha ha ha... 1 more day until we get a nice 4 day weekend!!! yippie!!
I hope everyone had a great wednesday!

oh and car issues, had a headlight out, replaced it, it worked for 2 min. then no headlight... of course hubby and friends have been to busy to figure out why..... oh well

inkycatz


quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
mommadeb1 wrote:It is 90 here!!! and I think I got the stomach bug going around.... yippie... maybe I can loose some weight, only eating brown rice!! ha ha ha... 1 more day until we get a nice 4 day weekend!!! yippie!!
I hope everyone had a great wednesday!

oh and car issues, had a headlight out, replaced it, it worked for 2 min. then no headlight... of course hubby and friends have been to busy to figure out why..... oh well



Feel better soon! Wednesday is going all right so far.

Also, I've never had a parsnip but I've heard they're dull by themselves from folks who have. That potato idea sounds good to me.

Hey folks while I'm dropping in, perhaps you can help this fellow community member with ideas of wineries for #2 that could do custom labels? I figure you all would have a good number of suggestions for that one at least... (thanks!)

I'm just hanging out, really.

ddeuddeg


quality posts: 26 Private Messages ddeuddeg
bhodilee wrote:What does one do with a parsnip? I bought some because I've never had them and thought, hey I should buy this. I know there are a billion, roughly, recipes on the webz, but I want something tried and true.


Parsnip Soup with Caramelized Apples. I love it.
Or Marbleized Root Vegetable Purée. I make it every Thanksgiving. Our niece wouldn't let me in the house without it.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne


Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 174 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
ddeuddeg wrote:Parsnip Soup with Caramelized Apples. I love it.
Or Marbleized Root Vegetable Purée. I make it every Thanksgiving. Our niece wouldn't let me in the house without it.




I'm pretty sure I wouldn't let you in the house with it!!


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 174 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
inkycatz wrote:Feel better soon! Wednesday is going all right so far.

Also, I've never had a parsnip but I've heard they're dull by themselves from folks who have. That potato idea sounds good to me.

Hey folks while I'm dropping in, perhaps you can help this fellow community member with ideas of wineries for #2 that could do custom labels? I figure you all would have a good number of suggestions for that one at least... (thanks!)



Done.


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

ddeuddeg


quality posts: 26 Private Messages ddeuddeg
MarkDaSpark wrote:I'm pretty sure I wouldn't let you in the house with it!!

You don't like rhubarb, either. Who's going to pay any attention to the likes of you?

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne


Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 174 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
ddeuddeg wrote:You don't like rhubarb, either. Who's going to pay any attention to the likes of you?



Mom (not Mother, obviously!).


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

inkycatz


quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
MarkDaSpark wrote:Done.



What a bunch of great resources and info! Thanks a lot!

I'm just hanging out, really.

klezman


quality posts: 119 Private Messages klezman
bhodilee wrote:What does one do with a parsnip? I bought some because I've never had them and thought, hey I should buy this. I know there are a billion, roughly, recipes on the webz, but I want something tried and true.



Slice into discs or wedges, toss in olive oil and spices, roast in the oven as you would potatoes. Like crispy parsnip quasi-fries. Delicious.

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

cheron98


quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
mommadeb1 wrote:oh and car issues, had a headlight out, replaced it, it worked for 2 min. then no headlight... of course hubby and friends have been to busy to figure out why..... oh well



That reminds me of a year when I went to get my car inspected, my old Aztek when I was still living in NJ... got to the inspection line, was told my right headlight was out and failed inspection for that. Immediately ran out and replaced it, checked that both lights were working, and returned to inspection (within 2 hours). The inspector kind of stared at me in bewilderment, because now the left headlight was out! He passed me anyway since technically it was a same-day re-inspection and so he was only obligated to check the previously failed item. I promised to get the headlight fixed - the friend who had replaced the other one just hours before kind of laughed at me when I called for more help

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

InFrom


quality posts: 31 Private Messages InFrom
klezman wrote:Slice into discs or wedges, toss in olive oil and spices, roast in the oven as you would potatoes. Like crispy parsnip quasi-fries. Delicious.



Agreed --I was just about to say the same thing. Great alone, or with carrots, butternut squash, or really any of the usual winter veg suspects.

rjquillin


quality posts: 170 Private Messages rjquillin
cheron98 wrote:That reminds me of a year when I went to get my car inspected, my old Aztek when I was still living in NJ... got to the inspection line, was told my right headlight was out and failed inspection for that. Immediately ran out and replaced it, checked that both lights were working, and returned to inspection (within 2 hours). The inspector kind of stared at me in bewilderment, because now the left headlight was out! He passed me anyway since technically it was a same-day re-inspection and so he was only obligated to check the previously failed item. I promised to get the headlight fixed - the friend who had replaced the other one just hours before kind of laughed at me when I called for more help


What, you thought you could get away with just swapping left and right...?

CT

InFrom


quality posts: 31 Private Messages InFrom
rjquillin wrote:What, you thought you could get away with just swapping left and right...?



I know! But, it worked!

rjquillin


quality posts: 170 Private Messages rjquillin

darn double post...

CT

tommythecat78


quality posts: 18 Private Messages tommythecat78
ddeuddeg wrote:You don't like rhubarb, either. Who's going to pay any attention to the likes of you?



I knew there was something wrong with him...

___________________________________________________________________________________________
My Cellar (has not been updated in forever)
Do the people want fire that can be applied nasally? -Golgafrinchan Marketing Consultant

tommythecat78


quality posts: 18 Private Messages tommythecat78
cortot20 wrote:Is this number somewhere between 1 mechanic and 4,000 mechanics?

I had an Acura previously and i remember swapping out the belts and plugs at around 90K. So I am sure I would have done the same with this car later in the year. But, I would think that the factory and dealers would be more flexible. If the factory says the plugs don't get changed until 100K then the dealers don't do it until 100K. My own mechanic does it around 90K so I am sure it would have been done soon.



I would say between 20-25 mechanics...most of which were friends or family. Its not that the plugs wont last that long it just that it gets increasingly difficult to remove them the longer you wait.

___________________________________________________________________________________________
My Cellar (has not been updated in forever)
Do the people want fire that can be applied nasally? -Golgafrinchan Marketing Consultant

tommythecat78


quality posts: 18 Private Messages tommythecat78
bhodilee wrote:What does one do with a parsnip? I bought some because I've never had them and thought, hey I should buy this. I know there are a billion, roughly, recipes on the webz, but I want something tried and true.



MMMMMM...parsnips...

___________________________________________________________________________________________
My Cellar (has not been updated in forever)
Do the people want fire that can be applied nasally? -Golgafrinchan Marketing Consultant

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 174 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

Toffee, toffee, toffee!!!!


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 174 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
tommythecat78 wrote:I knew there was something wrong with him...



Don't make me break out the Philippe's Sammich pictures!!!


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

Moondragon


quality posts: 8 Private Messages Moondragon
MarkDaSpark wrote:Which Orange one? I should have a spare.



This is the one:

tommythecat78


quality posts: 18 Private Messages tommythecat78
MarkDaSpark wrote:Don't make me break out the Philippe's Sammich pictures!!!



Now you are just being mean again.

___________________________________________________________________________________________
My Cellar (has not been updated in forever)
Do the people want fire that can be applied nasally? -Golgafrinchan Marketing Consultant

bahwm


quality posts: 26 Private Messages bahwm
Moondragon wrote:This is the one:


Wow! I forgot that the woot monkey was even there!

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

Moondragon


quality posts: 8 Private Messages Moondragon
bahwm wrote:Wow! I forgot that the woot monkey was even there!



Good thing Javier took pictures, huh? :D