tdedek


quality posts: 4 Private Messages tdedek
tytiger58 wrote:2006 Eagles Trace Cabernet Sauvignon should have bought more!



I drank this over the weekend. My thoughts exactly! Wow was this good, after a few hours breathing in the bottle, this was ready to go and went really well at that.

Would be an autobuy if I saw it up on WTSO again.

kylemittskus


quality posts: 232 Private Messages kylemittskus

2011 Revelation Chardonnay ($6, Trader Joe's)

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

rjquillin


quality posts: 184 Private Messages rjquillin
kylemittskus wrote:2011 Revelation Chardonnay ($6, Trader Joe's)

Same here, with some seafood pasta.

CT

kylemittskus


quality posts: 232 Private Messages kylemittskus
rjquillin wrote:Same here, with some seafood pasta.



What do you think?

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

ddeuddeg


quality posts: 32 Private Messages ddeuddeg

2011 Wente Riva Ranch Chardonnay. Went really well with the grilled scallops stuffed with basil, garlic, and lavender essence.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne


Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

jmdavidson


quality posts: 58 Private Messages jmdavidson

2007 Ruston Family Petit Verdot Stagecoach Vineyard. Wish I'd bought more than 1 bottle.

rjquillin


quality posts: 184 Private Messages rjquillin
kylemittskus wrote:What do you think?

It was $6 chard, it's empty, I wasn't thinking, I was drinking. And for a $6 chard, it drinks quite well. Seriously, I'll try pay more attention to the next of five I open, but at $6...? For me this drinks well above it's price.

Not at all an oak-buter-bomb, but not steely never seen wood either; a pleasant balance of fruit, not sweet, and acid. I totally disagree withe the label that suggests drinking at 45F; that would be entirely too cold. Mine started out at 54 and warmed from there.

I spent some time in the Languedoc and rather enjoyed many of the wines there.

CT

chipgreen


quality posts: 202 Private Messages chipgreen
jmdavidson wrote:2007 Ruston Family Petit Verdot Stagecoach Vineyard. Wish I'd bought more than 1 bottle.


I've heard nothing but good things about Stagecoach Vineyard fruit. Jean Edwards Cab, Tallulah Syrah, this Ruston Family PV.... and I don't have any of them. I'll be keeping an eye out for wines sourced from this vineyard now.

chipgreen


quality posts: 202 Private Messages chipgreen

2010 Binigrau Nounat (Spain)

50-50 Prensal Blanc/Chardonnay blend. Malolactic nose with toasted almonds, pineapple, grapefruit and sage grass.
Somewhat viscous mouthfeel with orange peel, stone fruits, tropical fruits with honeyed, nutty overtones and a nice tangy acidity on the longish finish.

Nice find on LB for $15.

EDIT: a touch of nutmeg and allspice appear as it warms in the glass, really liking this!

jmdavidson


quality posts: 58 Private Messages jmdavidson
chipgreen wrote:I've heard nothing but good things about Stagecoach Vineyard fruit. Jean Edwards Cab, Tallulah Syrah, this Ruston Family PV.... and I don't have any of them. I'll be keeping an eye out for wines sourced from this vineyard now.



I bought Palmeri's 2004 and 2005 Cab/Syrah, 2005 Syrah and 2006 Cabernet Sauvignon (all Stagecoach Vyd) and they were delicious. So, Stagecoach wines have got my attention. I thought the Ruston PV was particularly smooth. Some wine makers will add PV to their blends and few offer it my itself. This was really good.

cmaldoon


quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon

Arger martucci cab 2007

Notes after open 2 hours

Nose: Dark Cherry, Dried currant, Asparagus, mint. A hint of black licorice and Cedar.

Palate: dried cherry, artichoke, chocolate, hint of clove. Medium body Medium concentration. Medium level of round tannins.

Overall: nose is better than palate which is a bit thin on the front. Finish is nothing exciting. Overall this is a solid wine though and hits or exceeds the $25 price point easily. Would not feel put out at $40 (not excited either)

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

chipgreen


quality posts: 202 Private Messages chipgreen
jmdavidson wrote:I bought Palmeri's 2004 and 2005 Cab/Syrah, 2005 Syrah and 2006 Cabernet Sauvignon (all Stagecoach Vyd) and they were delicious. So, Stagecoach wines have got my attention. I thought the Ruston PV was particularly smooth. Some wine makers will add PV to their blends and few offer it my itself. This was really good.


Yeah, I've only had PV in blends although I do have 2 bottles of 2010 Ty Caton PV in the cellar.

tytiger58


quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58

2010 A Tribute to Grace Wine Company Grenache Santa Barbara Highlands Vineyard good lord is this good! Last bottle damn

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson




randysanders


quality posts: 5 Private Messages randysanders
cmaldoon wrote:Arger martucci cab 2007

Notes after open 2 hours

Nose: Dark Cherry, Dried currant, Asparagus, mint. A hint of black licorice and Cedar.

Palate: dried cherry, artichoke, chocolate, hint of clove. Medium body Medium concentration. Medium level of round tannins.

Overall: nose is better than palate which is a bit thin on the front. Finish is nothing exciting. Overall this is a solid wine though and hits or exceeds the $25 price point easily. Would not feel put out at $40 (not excited either)



Artichoke?
Had to share my observation that eating Artichokes w/ red wine completely flattens out the flavor of the wine. Anyone else notice this phenomenon?

Oh, and we had a 2005 Brookdale Cab last night. Fabulous nose. Well balanced, a little bitter on the end (not enough air), not enough fruit on the mid-palate for my taste, but the old-world guys just raved about it. I liked it...looked up prices...around $40 now, but I'm sure we got it for far less, back in the day.

cmaldoon


quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon
randysanders wrote:Artichoke?



Yep. A dark green flavor. Artichoke wasn't perfect but that was the closest I could get

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

kylemittskus


quality posts: 232 Private Messages kylemittskus

2006 Quixote PS

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

ddeuddeg


quality posts: 32 Private Messages ddeuddeg
randysanders wrote:Artichoke?
Had to share my observation that eating Artichokes w/ red wine completely flattens out the flavor of the wine. Anyone else notice this phenomenon?

Some guy named Peter Wellington.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne


Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

tytiger58


quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58

2010 Halcon Vineyards Syrah Alturas cause I can't wait 5 years for Kyle to try it....don't forget to order that case!

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson




klezman


quality posts: 130 Private Messages klezman
tytiger58 wrote:2010 Halcon Vineyards Syrah Alturas cause I can't wait 5 years for Kyle to try it....don't forget to order that case!



There's a Halcon buy coming up? Hrm. I suspect full retail may not be sufficient qpr for me.

Tonight we've got a bottle of Wellington 2007 Englandcrest Syrah. It was really awkward right after opening. I'm really hoping it's going to smooth and and fly right. Otherwise this is going to be one disappointing bottle.

2014: 42 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2012 Iron Horse Estate Chardonnay
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

rpm


quality posts: 179 Private Messages rpm
ddeuddeg wrote:Some guy named Peter Wellington.



And rpm. My general view is that most vegetables (except potatoes) fight most wine, reds especially. As a general rule, I simply do not take a sip of wine after a bite of any vegetable dish; but would sip water if I wanted to drink something with a vegetable, or have a bite of meat, potato, or bread/cracker before the wine after vegetable. Just as I would avoid wine with a salad that had vinegar in the dressing, or would at least have bread/crackers after salad bites before wine.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

kylemittskus


quality posts: 232 Private Messages kylemittskus
klezman wrote:There's a Halcon buy coming up? Hrm. I suspect full retail may not be sufficient qpr for me.

Tonight we've got a bottle of Wellington 2007 Englandcrest Syrah. It was really awkward right after opening. I'm really hoping it's going to smooth and and fly right. Otherwise this is going to be one disappointing bottle.



A) retail is $20 per bottle at a case + tax and FS.
B) if you'd like 2 or 3 of mine, you're welcome to them.
C) please update on the Syrah. I've been holding mine. : /

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

jmdavidson


quality posts: 58 Private Messages jmdavidson
klezman wrote:There's a Halcon buy coming up? Hrm. I suspect full retail may not be sufficient qpr for me.

Tonight we've got a bottle of Wellington 2007 Englandcrest Syrah. It was really awkward right after opening. I'm really hoping it's going to smooth and and fly right. Otherwise this is going to be one disappointing bottle.


This from Halcon:
2011 Alturas Release. The 2011 Halcón Alturas Syrah will be released August 21st. To my palate this is the best Alturas to date. Mid-to-late October 2011 gave us beautiful ripening weather. I also like the effect of a little less new oak, with 20% new in the form of a single Ermitage puncheon. The downside was the volume of wine – just 160 cases from a minuscule yield of ½ ton/acre.

2012 Wines
Like many around California we are very excited by our 2012 wines. We experienced an extended hang time, with ripening during a rather cool but sunny October. The red wines have the darkest color we have achieved, fine tannin and real depth. Surprisingly alcohol levels are a little lower than previous years – the 2012 Alturas Syrah will finish at 13.5% - and the acid levels are slightly higher.
The 2012 Esquisto and Prado will be released early next year. The Esquisto is a blend of 2/3rd Grenache and 1/3rd Mourvedre plus a splash of Syrah, all Halcón estate fruit.

rjquillin


quality posts: 184 Private Messages rjquillin
tytiger58 wrote:2010 Halcon Vineyards Syrah Alturas cause I can't wait 5 years for Kyle to try it....don't forget to order that case!

Who is doing the buy on this, and is there room to share or is it all allocated?

CT

ddeuddeg


quality posts: 32 Private Messages ddeuddeg

Iron Horse 2007 Estate Pinot Noir. Nice to find it at a local restaurant, at a mere 30% above the winery price (admittedly for a different vintage).

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne


Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

losthighwayz


quality posts: 61 Private Messages losthighwayz

2011 Roblar Muele Rogue I got from 'TSO for $11.99 shipped. Nice QPR from one of my favorite AVA's.

"The older I get the better I was"

losthighwayz


quality posts: 61 Private Messages losthighwayz
rjquillin wrote:Who is doing the buy on this, and is there room to share or is it all allocated?



I loved the Prado Kyle was gracious enough to share. If anyone wants to split a case when the Prado is released let me know.

"The older I get the better I was"

kylemittskus


quality posts: 232 Private Messages kylemittskus
rjquillin wrote:Who is doing the buy on this, and is there room to share or is it all allocated?



Tyger and I always split a case. Klez may or may not take 1-3 of my 6 since I shouldn't be buying any at all and 3 is enough.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

kylemittskus


quality posts: 232 Private Messages kylemittskus
losthighwayz wrote:I loved the Prado Kyle was gracious enough to share. If anyone wants to split a case when the Prado is released let me know.



I'm buying a case of that for myself. I absolutely love that wine. I still have 2 left I'm trying to hold. One will surely die by the end of this summer, though.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

trifecta


quality posts: 74 Private Messages trifecta

2005 Tallulah Del Rio Syrah. Hoping this comes up on the marathon tomorrow.

kylemittskus


quality posts: 232 Private Messages kylemittskus
trifecta wrote:2005 Tallulah Del Rio Syrah. Hoping this comes up on the marathon tomorrow.



If you see the Bald Mountain Syrah, buy it! Big, big, beautiful wine.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

rjquillin


quality posts: 184 Private Messages rjquillin
kylemittskus wrote:I'm buying a case of that for myself. I absolutely love that wine. I still have 2 left I'm trying to hold. One will surely die by the end of this summer, though.

PM

CT

tytiger58


quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58
rjquillin wrote:Who is doing the buy on this, and is there room to share or is it all allocated?



Unlike Kyle i'm not sharing

Edit: you know I will share...just pm

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson




klezman


quality posts: 130 Private Messages klezman
kylemittskus wrote:Tyger and I always split a case. Klez may or may not take 1-3 of my 6 since I shouldn't be buying any at all and 3 is enough.



Send me an email with the details? Is Halcon all allocated or is this a club thing?

2014: 42 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2012 Iron Horse Estate Chardonnay
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

klezman


quality posts: 130 Private Messages klezman
kylemittskus wrote:A) retail is $20 per bottle at a case + tax and FS.
B) if you'd like 2 or 3 of mine, you're welcome to them.
C) please update on the Syrah. I've been holding mine. : /



The Wellington Syrah did smooth out a bit, but not entirely. About 1/3 of the bottle is recorked and we'll take another look tomorrow. If it's corked it's just on the edge (no wet paper bag or mouldy smell), but the fruit isn't the most prominent thing. That sense of bitterness is still there, though.

I should also give a caveat: I've got a bit of a cold right now, so the wine itself may not be the only factor at play here. Nose is still clear and I can smell fine, but you never know.

2014: 42 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2012 Iron Horse Estate Chardonnay
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

tdedek


quality posts: 4 Private Messages tdedek
kylemittskus wrote:I'm buying a case of that for myself. I absolutely love that wine. I still have 2 left I'm trying to hold. One will surely die by the end of this summer, though.



Good job holding off on those. Mine are already gone Enjoyed each one of them though!

kylemittskus


quality posts: 232 Private Messages kylemittskus
klezman wrote:Send me an email with the details? Is Halcon all allocated or is this a club thing?



It's an open release. Ill email everyone when the offer opens and get a count. Release is August 21st.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

kylemittskus


quality posts: 232 Private Messages kylemittskus

2003 WineSmith Chardonnay Faux Chablis, Student Vineyard

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

tytiger58


quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58

2009 Domaine Bernard Defaix Chablis 1er Cru Vaillons

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson




losthighwayz


quality posts: 61 Private Messages losthighwayz
kylemittskus wrote:2003 WineSmith Chardonnay Faux Chablis, Student Vineyard



Thoughts? I thought it was quite good and priced about right (not retail but WW pricing).

"The older I get the better I was"

kylemittskus


quality posts: 232 Private Messages kylemittskus
losthighwayz wrote:Thoughts? I thought it was quite good and priced about right (not retail but WW pricing).



I really enjoyed drinking a CA chard at 10 and I'm not disappointed at the $15 price tag. It's not my preferred style of chard, though. Glad I had one. Glad I had only one.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen