neilfindswine

quality posts: 168 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

'11 Frequency Grenache.

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
kylemittskus wrote:2011 Red Zeppelin Chateau d'Abalone (Grenache Blanc), Hall Ranch Vineyard with friends and chicken flautas for dinner.

2007 Clos LaChance Nectar (Late Harvest Table Wine)

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

rjquillin

quality posts: 170 Private Messages rjquillin

Larry's 2010 Voignier, with sashimi. I was expecting the vio to be a bit sweeter, but it was totally dry and actually worked great. The girls had a Moscato. Their loss.

CT

tytiger58

quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58
rjquillin wrote:Larry's 2010 Voignier, with sashimi. I was expecting the vio to be a bit sweeter, but it was totally dry and actually worked great. The girls had a Moscato. Their loss.

That is exactly why I love Larry's Voignier!

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

cortot20

quality posts: 136 Private Messages cortot20

Nothing for awhile. Had a sinus infection for a couple weeks and just got antibiotics so lll see you guys here next weekend.

CT

klezman

quality posts: 120 Private Messages klezman
kylemittskus wrote:2007 Clos LaChance Nectar (Late Harvest Table Wine)

How is that? I've got 2 bottles for merbill and I think molarchae and I have 4 more between us.

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

kylemittskus

klezman wrote:How is that? I've got 2 bottles for merbill and I think molarchae and I have 4 more between us.

It's basic and needs acid and isn't super exciting. However, at $9 for a botrytis dessert wine, easily worth it.

jmdavidson

quality posts: 55 Private Messages jmdavidson

From Costco:
1. 2011 Barco de Piedra Ribero del Duero ($10)
2. 2009 Portal Reserva Duero ($20)
Very decent CT reviews for both. Hopefully will pair well with the foods being served at a Mexican fiesta we are going to attend.

kylemittskus

2005 Arrowood Merlot, Sonoma Valley

tdedek

quality posts: 4 Private Messages tdedek

Rodenbach Grand Cru and then a 2010 Adelaida Zin with BBQ pork chops and boudin.

tytiger58

2010 Carlisle Zinfandel Martinelli Road Vineyard

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg

Tonight bahwm & I had two wines--since we are in Barcelona and not driving. We had a bottle of Llopart Brut Nature Reserva Cava and a Can Feixes 2007 from Penedès. Both local to the Barcelona region. Penedès is not too far from the airport which is about a half hour outside of the city. The Cava was much nicer than either of us expected. The red went much better with the main course than the Cava. The Can Feixes was a blend of Ull de Llebre, Merlot, Cab & Petit Verdot. We haven't had a chance to check on the first grape & after a full day of touring--the 2 AM bedtime is calling! Good night all! Oh, and the 2 AM Barcelona temp is 79 degrees F! Glad we have AC!

EDIT: Ull de Llebre is the Catalonians name for Tempranillo. I knew I shouldn't have left LW unsupervised with the iPad after all that wine.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

pseudogourmet98

quality posts: 16 Private Messages pseudogourmet98

An assortment of German beers with bratwurst and sauerkraut. My mom asked what wine I was opening and after my stuttering for a few minutes she said "OK I'll have a beer". But really, what would go with brats & kraut? Riesling?

kylemittskus

pseudogourmet98 wrote:But really, what would go with brats & kraut? Riesling?

Beer.

pseudogourmet98

quality posts: 16 Private Messages pseudogourmet98
kylemittskus wrote:Beer.

My thought exactly.

mommadeb1

quality posts: 17 Private Messages mommadeb1
ddeuddeg wrote:Tonight bahwm & I had two wines--since we are in Barcelona and not driving. We had a bottle of Llopart Brut Nature Reserva Cava and a Can Feixes 2007 from Penedès. Both local to the Barcelona region. Penedès is not too far from the airport which is about a half hour outside of the city. The Cava was much nicer than either of us expected. The red went much better with the main course than the Cava. The Can Feixes was a blend of Ull de Llebre, Merlot, Cab & Petit Verdot. We haven't had a chance to check on the first grape & after a full day of touring--the 2 AM bedtime is calling! Good night all! Oh, and the 2 AM Barcelona temp is 79 degrees F! Glad we have AC!

EDIT: Ull de Llebre is the Catalonians name for Tempranillo. I knew I shouldn't have left LW unsupervised with the iPad after all that wine.

I wish I could be there with you two!! Hope you are enjoying!

chipgreen

quality posts: 184 Private Messages chipgreen

NV WineSmith Penny Farthing Dry Rosé
2003 WineSmith Faux Chablis
2005 WineSmith Crucible Cabernet Sauvignon
2010 Diamond Ridge Cabernet Franc Reserve (pre-release)

klezman

Last night we had a bottle of 1999 Harbour Estates Winery Reserve Chardonnay, paired with a lobster, mushroom, and cream sauce pasta with a little truffle butter in case it wasn't already rich enough.

Despite being abused for the 12 years I've had that bottle, the wine was drinking beautifully. Slightly oxidized, but in the helpful way. Long finish of butterscotch mixed with lemon. Delicious.

Edit: Tonight is rib steak with a bottle of 1986 Georges de Latour Private Reserve. This should be interesting! (Yeah, life is hard)

2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

tytiger58

2009 Iron Horse Vineyards Summer's Cuvée

Must try cannot wait any longer...I know big surprise

Edit: did not buy enough sure hope this shows up again!

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon

1992 En Tirage recently disgorged California champagne

First let me say that I am not a big champagne drinker. And have never found a truly compelling dry champagne... Until now

This wine was in bottle sur lie for over 17 years.

The color is that of a standard Chardonnay. A light golden. The visible bubbles do not seem especially large or small.

Nose:
There is a definite yeasty character to this wine (duh!) Pear, clarified butter, white grape.

Palate: enters very slightly sweet with the pear character then progresses to a popcorn note. The middle is filled with a caramelized sugar note that gives way to a somewhat bitter yeasty note. The finish is very long (minute plus) and tastes of golden raisin and sherry.

This is a damned good wine. One to sip and ponder and share and talk about. This is not a wine to casually down while other things are going on.

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

jmdavidson

2011 Stillman PS White Label. Too young even with a couple hour decant. My bad. I'll let the others sit for a couple more years (at least).

bsevern

quality posts: 109 Private Messages bsevern
cmaldoon wrote:1992 En Tirage recently disgorged California champagne

Sounds very interesting. Is this the stuff that LB had up a little while ago?

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon
bsevern wrote:Sounds very interesting. Is this the stuff that LB had up a little while ago?

Yep! A really enjoyable experience.

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

bsevern

quality posts: 109 Private Messages bsevern

2009 Inspiration Vineyards Chardonnay RRV with Chinese clam soup (apparently this has no name, it's not really a chowder, but it's similar). Very nice pairing.

chipgreen

Glad to hear nice things about the En Tirage and IH Summer Cuvee (and Inspiration Chard for that matter - still sitting on a bottle each of '08 and '09).

After enjoying some finely crafted WineSmith wines with Clark Smith yesterday, it was back to the pedestrian swillwaters of family function wines today at SWMBO's family reunion.

NV Outdoor Wino Wanderlust White
NV Outdoor Wino Rambling Red
2010 Quady Orange Muscat Electra
Beck's Sapphire beer

It was fun watching the reaction on people's faces as I punk'd them by saying "hey, check out this wine" then dropping the bottle on the ground as I handed it to them. Props to my g/f's sister who punk'd me back when she picked up a bottle of the Quady Electra, held it up over the concrete and asked "Is this plastic too?".

Back to Clark Smith.... all you left-coasters who are within driving distance should definitely attend Clark's BBQ on August 3rd.

He is quite an engaging person with an easygoing manner and oozing with knowledge and intelligence. Not a dull moment and even the novice wine drinkers were transfixed by his somewhat technical musings on wine and winemaking.

I love the fact that he not only pushes the envelope as a winemaker (and does so with great transparency) but also encourages us to push the envelope as wine drinkers.

losthighwayz

quality posts: 59 Private Messages losthighwayz
chipgreen wrote:Glad to hear nice things about the En Tirage and IH Summer Cuvee (and Inspiration Chard for that matter - still sitting on a bottle each of '08 and '09).

After enjoying some finely crafted WineSmith wines with Clark Smith yesterday, it was back to the pedestrian swillwaters of family function wines today at SWMBO's family reunion.

NV Outdoor Wino Wanderlust White
NV Outdoor Wino Rambling Red
2010 Quady Orange Muscat Electra
Beck's Sapphire beer

It was fun watching the reaction on people's faces as I punk'd them by saying "hey, check out this wine" then dropping the bottle on the ground as I handed it to them. Props to my g/f's sister who punk'd me back when she picked up a bottle of the Quady Electra, held it up over the concrete and asked "Is this plastic too?".

Back to Clark Smith.... all you left-coasters who are within driving distance should definitely attend Clark's BBQ on August 3rd.

He is quite an engaging person with an easygoing manner and oozing with knowledge and intelligence. Not a dull moment and even the novice wine drinkers were transfixed by his somewhat technical musings on wine and winemaking.

I love the fact that he not only pushes the envelope as a winemaker (and does so with great transparency) but also encourages us to push the envelope as wine drinkers.

So how were the Winesmith wines?

"The older I get the better I was"

mommadeb1

quality posts: 17 Private Messages mommadeb1

wootcellars F bomb 2....yummmm

losthighwayz

2011 Mollydooker The Boxer. Been curious about this producer for a while

klezman

2009 Kent Rasmussen Petite Sirah. Nice.

chipgreen

losthighwayz wrote:So how were the Winesmith wines?

I greatly enjoyed them all but I'm not sure I would plunk down $100 for the Crucible Cab. I'd love to add some to my cellar, though.

It was somewhat of an experimental tasting. I don't want to say too much as the BBQ crowd may have a similar event and I don't want to spoil anything, but it would be hard for me to give detailed notes on the wines based upon the way in which we experienced them - but here's a few thoughts....

The '05 WineSmith Crucible Cab was much softer than the vast majority of Napa Cabs, with lush but restrained fruit.

The '10 Diamond Ridge (Two Jakes) Cab Franc Reserve had some vegetal qualities but not the usual bell pepper you would expect from Cab Franc. More like dill.

The '03 WineSmith Chard (Faux Chablis) really did taste much more like a French Chablis than an American Chard. Amazing how Clark hides the oak treatment in his wines, most notably this one. It's there, but it's pretty far in the background.

The NV PennyFarthing Dry Rosé was light, crisp, refreshing and an absolute steal at $10/bottle.

Overall, Clark's wines taste slightly different than other wines of the same varietals. They are interesting, enjoyable and unique.

jmdavidson

Last night: 2007 Page Cellars Syrah (Red Mountain). Write up: Deep garnet black color. Intricate spicy aromas, dark toasted fruit cake, beeswax, toffee, and peppery spices with a supple, dry-yet-fruity medium-to-full body and a tangy, spiced apple, nuts, candied citrus and cherry accented finish. Elegant and refreshing for sipping or the table. Could not tell because it was an OAK BOMB!

tdedek

quality posts: 4 Private Messages tdedek
losthighwayz wrote:2011 Mollydooker The Boxer. Been curious about this producer for a while

How was it? Did you do the Mollydooker shake?

losthighwayz

chipgreen wrote:I greatly enjoyed them all but I'm not sure I would plunk down $100 for the Crucible Cab. I'd love to add some to my cellar, though.

It was somewhat of an experimental tasting. I don't want to say too much as the BBQ crowd may have a similar event and I don't want to spoil anything, but it would be hard for me to give detailed notes on the wines based upon
the way in which we experienced them - but here's a few thoughts....

The '05 WineSmith Crucible Cab was much softer than the vast majority of Napa Cabs, with lush but restrained fruit.

The '10 Diamond Ridge (Two Jakes) Cab
Franc Reserve had some vegetal qualities but not the usual bell pepper you would expect from Cab Franc. More like dill.

The '03 WineSmith Chard (Faux Chablis) really did taste much more like a French Chablis than an American Chard. Amazing
how Clark hides the oak treatment in his wines, most notably this one. It's there, but it's pretty far in the background.

The NV PennyFarthing Dry Rosé was light, crisp, refreshing and an absolute steal at $10/bottle.

Overall, Clark's wines taste slightly different than other wines of the same varietals. They are interesting, enjoyable and unique.

Thanks for the insight. I had the 2003 chard and enjoyed it even though I cannot stand chards....would like to try some of his other wines like the Planet Pluto he offered on here a few months back. Seems like he is a smart and interesting guy!

losthighwayz

jmdavidson wrote:Last night: 2007 Page Cellars Syrah (Red Mountain). Write up: Deep garnet black color. Intricate spicy aromas, dark toasted fruit cake, beeswax, toffee, and peppery spices with a supple, dry-yet-fruity medium-to-full body and a tangy, spiced apple, nuts, candied citrus and cherry accented finish. Elegant and refreshing for sipping or the table. Could not tell because it was an OAK BOMB!

Sounds awful! Nothing worse for me than an oak bomb....completely ruins the experience for me

losthighwayz

tdedek wrote:How was it? Did you do the Mollydooker shake?

Not bad but not my stylr either. I can almost see myself drinking this as a dessert wine....dont see myself drinking more than one glass in a sitting...actually sipping some of it now..can tell its well made and no signs if the 15.5% akcohol...however, a bit too heavy and cloying for me. Took a chance and paid $25 at TJs while vacationing here in Oceanside (TJs back home doesnt carry Mollydooker) though would not get again.

redwinefan

quality posts: 74 Private Messages redwinefan
losthighwayz wrote:Not bad but not my stylr either. I can almost see myself drinking this as a dessert wine....dont see myself drinking more than one glass in a sitting...actually sipping some of it now..can tell its well made and no signs if the 15.5% akcohol...however, a bit too heavy and cloying for me. Took a chance and paid $25 at TJs while vacationing here in Oceanside (TJs back home doesnt carry Mollydooker) though would not get again.

Those Mollydookers are crazy wines. I can go for one every once in a while when I'm feeling decadent.

Drinking a Chimney Rock Sauvignon Gris tonight. Interesting wine, but I'm getting a little too much green from it for my liking. Plus the tariff is just too high ($30 - ah, the things we buy while in Napa)

"You need to invest in a corkscrew. Wine is for drinking." -- Peter Wellington

rjquillin

Finally got the nerve to try one of those R.Merlo '06 PN's from Trinity, via Ohio. A bit worried, not quite like I recall.

CT

jmdavidson

2008 Bacio Divino Pazzo (sangio blend). Drinking very well after a 30 minute decant. Paired well with a caprese thin crust pizza topped with prosciutto.

tytiger58

rjquillin wrote:Finally got the nerve to try one of those R.Merlo '06 PN's from Trinity, via Ohio. A bit worried, not quite like I recall.

Is that bad or good??

rjquillin

tytiger58 wrote:Is that bad or good??

I'm concerned. I'll need to more carefully check the remaining 7 bottles for leakage/protruding corks. Notified woot upon arrival, but wanted to let it rest a couple weeks before pulling a cork. this was the rare shipment that went awry, SD via somewhere in OH, and back to SD when it was hot.

CT