tytiger58

quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58
klezman wrote:1999 York Creek Vineyards Spring Mountain Meritage. $25 at K&L right now and a nice deal at that price. Not the most complex Meritage blend out there, but it's got notes of jalapeno, olive, cassis and some vanilla. This one probably actually has a lot of life left in it...contemplating picking up a few more to try again in 2-3 years.

How are the tannins holding up in this?? been debating this one for a few weeks...

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

kylemittskus

quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus
tytiger58 wrote:How are the tannins holding up in this?? been debating this one for a few weeks...

It's way too old for you. You won't like it.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon
klezman wrote:1999 York Creek Vineyards Spring Mountain Meritage. $25 at K&L right now and a nice deal at that price. Not the most complex Meritage blend out there, but it's got notes of jalapeno, olive, cassis and some vanilla. This one probably actually has a lot of life left in it...contemplating picking up a few more to try again in 2-3 years.

How does it compare to the Ardente cabs that we have seen here?

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

klezman

quality posts: 123 Private Messages klezman

Tannins: not a ton. They're largely resolved, I guess, as I didn't really notice them or make any specific note about it.

This vs Ardente: I've only had the 1997 Ardente and I think this is moderately lighter in style/body and a touch more complex with a corresponding decrease in fruit and intensity/concentration.

2014: 32 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Jana Cathedral 3 L
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

tytiger58

kylemittskus wrote:It's way too old for you. You won't like it.

Agreed! don't mind the reduced fruit from age but fully resolved tannin structure pisses me off

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg

Ty Caton '05 Field Blend Red. My first sense was let's not hold this too much longer, but with the pizza, it smoothed right out, a really nice food wine. Down to our last 5 bottles, still thinking drink sooner rather than later.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

klezman

2005 Jean Edwards Syrah, Las Madres Vineyard, Carneros. Damn this is good stuff - nice peppery notes along with a meaty quality and a nice core of fruit.

2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

redwinefan

quality posts: 74 Private Messages redwinefan

Sawyer Cellars 2007 Bradford Meritage (Rutherford)

Solid deal from LastBottle at approx $24. Drinking decently right now, but aging for a couple of years will probably make this wine a bit nicer. I'll give it a 90-91 with room for improvement.

If you drink it now, let it open up for an hour or two.

"You need to invest in a corkscrew. Wine is for drinking." -- Peter Wellington

tytiger58

klezman wrote:2005 Jean Edwards Syrah, Las Madres Vineyard, Carneros. Damn this is good stuff - nice peppery notes along with a meaty quality and a nice core of fruit.

I knew it.. and to think I could of had them for free

dreea

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dreea

Hi,

I would like to know how do you purchase your wine. I read somewhere on a blog that shoppers are using wine stores as showrooms, they search on the mobile phone a cheaper price and then they buy wine somewhere else, at another store or online, on Amazon or Ebay, wherever they can get a better deal.

Have you ever been caught by this when purchasing wine?

rjquillin

quality posts: 174 Private Messages rjquillin
redwinefan wrote:Sawyer Cellars 2007 Bradford Meritage (Rutherford)

Solid deal from LastBottle at approx $24. Drinking decently right now, but aging for a couple of years will probably make this wine a bit nicer. I'll give it a 90-91 with room for improvement.

If you drink it now, let it open up for an hour or two.

Good to know, I'll leave them tucked away. Tnx

CT

rjquillin

tytiger58 wrote:I knew it.. and to think I could of had them for free

Know how the 07 Alder Springs is coming along?

CT

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon
dreea wrote:Hi,

I would like to know how do you purchase your wine. I read somewhere on a blog that shoppers are using wine stores as showrooms, they search on the mobile phone a cheaper price and then they buy wine somewhere else, at another store or online, on Amazon or Ebay, wherever they can get a better deal.

Have you ever been caught by this when purchasing wine?

I get most of my wine online from daily deal sites (>50%). Next most wines are from wineries, then online stores, then wine shops.

I rarely visit wine stores and have never gone to one, looked up a price, and purchased online instead. Shipping is usually the deciding factor for this. An online shop may have a better price but $4-$12 per bottle shipping usually kills the deal.

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

otolith

quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith

2006 Amon-Ra Shiraz. Dark, deep, and delicious! Should go real well with the brisket, if it ever finishes...

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

pseudogourmet98

quality posts: 17 Private Messages pseudogourmet98

Sangria! Thanks to all who contributed to the Sangria thread. It motivated me to make my own. Had some fresh peaches we just picked up in north GA the other day and added them to a white sangria. Yum! The rest are in a bowl splashed with a little brandy, waiting to be assembled into a cobbler in about an hour.

ddeuddeg

Iron Horse Commander's Palace Sparkling Wine, with grilled Italian sausage with caramelized peppers and onions, potato salad, and grilled asparagus. If you're wondering why a bubbly with that menu, see signature below.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

cortot20

quality posts: 145 Private Messages cortot20

Trader joes petit reserve 11' napa valley cab.

Very drinkable but not interesting in any way or even really a cab for my money.

CT

noslensj

quality posts: 42 Private Messages noslensj

Facelli Primitivo 2008. With smoked BBQ ribs.

losthighwayz

quality posts: 59 Private Messages losthighwayz

2006 San Roman Toro with blue cheese burgers from Sprouts. Awesome vino for the 30 shipped tag.

"The older I get the better I was"

rjquillin

losthighwayz wrote:2006 San Roman Toro with blue cheese burgers from Sprouts. Awesome vino for the 30 shipped tag.

First had that at Klez's. Best bottle of the night IIRC.

'97 Ardente is doing just fine here.

CT

tytiger58

In the decanter 2007 Bodegas Los Astrales Ribera del Duero Astrales maybe my greatest TSO hidden site buy Very elegant Tempranillo.

ddeuddeg

'06 Vincent Arroyo "Nameless" Napa Red Blend. Yummy with another of our clean out the fridge before we leave on vacation meals.

joelsisk

quality posts: 9 Private Messages joelsisk

2007 Casa Da Corca Douro

tytiger58

2010 Castalia Pinot Noir Rochioli Vineyard

losthighwayz

2011 Rock Hollow Sauv Blanc with ceviche and shrimp cocktails...2009 Wilson Family Red with tri tip

jmdavidson

quality posts: 57 Private Messages jmdavidson

2008 Zanzibar Sandra Alder Creek Vineyard

cortot20

09' Ramsay north coast PN. With shrimp burritos.

CT

losthighwayz

2005 Orlando Abrigo Barbaresco

rjquillin

jmdavidson wrote:2008 Zanzibar Sandra Alder Creek Vineyard

Some have commented the only thing good, is the label. I've not opened mine yet. Your thoughts?

CT

rjquillin

Sampling Costco to see if any are worth additional purchase for future consumption.

2011 Marchesi di Barolo Barbera del Monferrato Maràia (pass)

2009 Château Liversan (undecided, forest and a bit of funk, in a good way)

2011 Rio Madre Graciano Rioja (not at all bad, especially considering it's very low cost)

CT

chipgreen

quality posts: 190 Private Messages chipgreen

2010 Wellington Vineyards Roussanne

jmdavidson

quality posts: 57 Private Messages jmdavidson
rjquillin wrote:Some have commented the only thing good, is the label. I've not opened mine yet. Your thoughts?

Can't quite put my finger on it, but I did not care for it. Definitely dark fruits and smooth tannins, however. I usually let my wines sit more than a month before I open them. So, maybe I should have let this one sit a couple more weeks. I'll revisit it in another four or five months. I only opened it now because you can still buy it for $20 and I thought if I really liked it I would buy more.

cortot20

Wife opened the chateau Bianca 08' Riesling.

CT

JOATMON

quality posts: 19 Private Messages JOATMON

Iron Horse Golden Gate Cuvee

Juvie: 30+24+4; Sellout: 6+7+0
Rags: 3+2+3
Drunk: 69+94+15 wine, 20+29+4 non-wine
Rugrat: 0+0+0; Refunded: 2+3+1
(as of 2011-03-02)

tytiger58

losthighwayz wrote:2005 Orlando Abrigo Barbaresco

How was this? I have a couple I won't be able to receive until Fall.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus

2010 Wellington Roussanne with Soyaki chicken and gyoza for dinner tonight.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

tdedek

quality posts: 4 Private Messages tdedek

2012 Triennes Rose

klezman

ddeuddeg wrote:Iron Horse Commander's Palace Sparkling Wine, with grilled Italian sausage with caramelized peppers and onions, potato salad, and grilled asparagus. If you're wondering why a bubbly with that menu, see signature below.

Commander's Palace? Is that a club special?

JOATMON

quality posts: 19 Private Messages JOATMON
klezman wrote:Commander's Palace? Is that a club special?

It's a special cuvee for Commander's Palace restaurant in New Orleans. I managed to convince them to sell me one on the trip.

Juvie: 30+24+4; Sellout: 6+7+0
Rags: 3+2+3
Drunk: 69+94+15 wine, 20+29+4 non-wine
Rugrat: 0+0+0; Refunded: 2+3+1
(as of 2011-03-02)

tytiger58

Damn! while going through one of my coolers I found 3 Corison 2006 Kronos I don't remember buying 3?? and with all the talk of how good 06 is drinking....I am sorely tempted to try one "sweating"