cortot20

quality posts: 152 Private Messages cortot20
chipgreen wrote:Yeah, and then I had to blow it by listing the wines we drank tonight.

You do realize that all your multiple personalities funnel the wine into same place. Your belly. That's a lot of wine for a night and one crazy party of one.

CT

bsevern

quality posts: 110 Private Messages bsevern

Evening started with some excellent Sushi from Tsunami Sushi Panhandle in San Francisco, where we tried a flight of seasonal Sake, which was really interesting.

Capping the evening off with the rest of the bottle of 2006 Keller La Cruz Vineyard Syrah I opened last night, and it's still drinking really nicely.

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 185 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
chipgreen wrote:Amateurs! I have 469 woots on my chipgreen account alone plus 2 other black square accounts.... and a couple straggler accounts.

How many pages is that on the Stuff you Bought page?

But back to wine ...

zTimothyBz shared a '98 Seghesio Omaggio, 1977 Terrantez Madeira, and a 1920 Malvasia Madeira.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

chipgreen

quality posts: 195 Private Messages chipgreen
MarkDaSpark wrote:How many pages is that on the Stuff you Bought page?

But back to wine ...

zTimothyBz shared a '98 Seghesio Omaggio, 1977 Terrantez Madeira, and a 1920 Malvasia Madeira.

Made me look! 48 pages.

Someday, I will try a Madeira. Somehow I missed all the really good wine at WD's party last summer. Oh, but I got to sniff a glass that rpm passed around, lol.

I made up for it with the sausage appetizers. I ate those 'til I was ready to explode and still wanted more.

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 185 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
chipgreen wrote:Made me look! 48 pages.

Someday, I will try a Madeira. Somehow I missed all the really good wine at WD's party last summer. Oh, but I got to sniff a glass that rpm passed around, lol.

I made up for it with the sausage appetizers. I ate those 'til I was ready to explode and still wanted more.

Thumps Chest. 954 orders equals 96 pages.

But only Purple on alt ID.

Yes, those were excellent! And we hid out on the grassy knoll to drink the fine wines!

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

rjquillin

quality posts: 178 Private Messages rjquillin
MarkDaSpark wrote:Thumps Chest. 954 orders equals 96 pages.

..but at least 12 of those pages had to be for monkeys..

CT

redwinefan

quality posts: 74 Private Messages redwinefan

Did you build a cellar? My wine purchasing has been curtailed this year by space constraints and budgetary issues (starting a business). If I still lived in Ohio, I would definitely have a huge cellar in the basement though.

Also, last night I had a 2008 Gary Farrell Syrah Ramal Vineyard. It didn't sing to me as much as the last bottle did, but it was still enjoyable with steak fajitas.

I'd really like to do a side by side with the Buena Vista Ramal Syrah and the Gary Farrell, but I need to procure more of the Buena Vista.

"You need to invest in a corkscrew. Wine is for drinking." -- Peter Wellington

tytiger58

quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58

2011 Halcon Vineyards Prado Alder Springs these will not make it through the summer

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

kylemittskus

quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus

2010 Wellington Roussanne

Really juicy and fleshy. Wish there was a bit more acid.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

ERMD

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ERMD

Windward 2006 Pinot noir

chipgreen

redwinefan wrote:Did you build a cellar? My wine purchasing has been curtailed this year by space constraints and budgetary issues (starting a business). If I still lived in Ohio, I would definitely have a huge cellar in the basement though.

Also, last night I had a 2008 Gary Farrell Syrah Ramal Vineyard. It didn't sing to me as much as the last bottle did, but it was still enjoyable with steak fajitas.

I'd really like to do a side by side with the Buena Vista Ramal Syrah and the Gary Farrell, but I need to procure more of the Buena Vista.

I have 12 of the Oenophilia Alexander 60-Bottle Cellar Wine Racks.

Still doesn't hold them all but it's close.

chipgreen

MarkDaSpark wrote:Thumps Chest. 954 orders equals 96 pages.

Yes, those were excellent! And we hid out on the grassy knoll to drink the fine wines!

Ahh, the old grassy knoll trick! I was avoiding the other side of the tent because I had just quit smoking 2 months earlier and didn't want to be tempted by the cigars.

You've definitely got chest-thumping rights, all my woots put together from 5 accounts = 751.

Finally, my apologies for the schizophrenic drunk-posts last night. Is there a "sheepish grin" emoticon?

rc70

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rc70

2010 RBW Bad Moon Rising w/appetizers
2006 Gamba Old Vine Zinfandel w/dinner

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg

'05 Benziger Family Merlot. Worried it might be over the hill. Not at all. Lots of rich dark fruit. Great with the grilled chicken.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

redwinefan

rc70 wrote:2010 RBW Bad Moon Rising w/appetizers

Seeing as how this is on the current Plus offer, can you give us a mini-review?

neilfindswine

quality posts: 170 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

ERMD wrote:Windward 2006 Pinot noir

How was it? I've generally dismissed Paso as being too hot for Pinot but Windward typically does well with West Paso fruit in a magic valley of some sort....

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

losthighwayz

quality posts: 59 Private Messages losthighwayz

2012 Curtis Rose...Grenache, Mouvedre, Syrah, and Cinsault blend. Zippy acidity. Oh, and my cellar is around 200 you guys are hard core!

"The older I get the better I was"

cortot20

Something pretty terrible at my MiL's house. She's got a bunch of bottles of red stashed in a cupboard that I have been slowly but surely working through. So far none have been good, most have been either stored improperly or simply over the hill. Every time I come over I open one drink a glass and the rest gets corked and stuffed in their back fridge for all eternity.

It's a fun game.

CT

JOATMON

quality posts: 19 Private Messages JOATMON

Sorry about that. I tried to share all around, but it just didn't stretch that far.

Juvie: 30+24+4; Sellout: 6+7+0
Rags: 3+2+3
Drunk: 69+94+15 wine, 20+29+4 non-wine
Rugrat: 0+0+0; Refunded: 2+3+1
(as of 2011-03-02)

bdlsmoran

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bdlsmoran
redwinefan wrote:That should be excellent. Let us know how it is.

Very nice blend, the Merlot, Malbec and Petit Verdot worked well together. It really opened up after a couple hours in the decanter. I could definitely taste black fruit and vanilla with integrated but not overpowering tannins. This wine was great now but should last a few more years. I wish I had another bottle.

ERMD

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ERMD
neilfindswine wrote:How was it? I've generally dismissed Paso as being too hot for Pinot but Windward typically does well with West Paso fruit in a magic valley of some sort....

Fantastic!
But I had 2of them over the last year that were horrible, green vegetative taste, flat so I wonder if was bad.
This one was very Burgundian in style, light color but good body and long finish. Had I not had the 2 previous, I would still be in the wine club.
If you get a chance, try it.

chipgreen

JOATMON wrote:Sorry about that. I tried to share all around, but it just didn't stretch that far.

No worries, I'll know who to follow around next time!

randysanders

quality posts: 5 Private Messages randysanders

2005 Recchia Ca' Bertoldi Amarone.
Love Amarone. Plum, prune, round
on the palate, good acidity, but still
drinkable on its own. Nice finish.

kylemittskus

2009 Domaine La Garrigue Vacqueyras -- failed cork and poured

2009 Maison Arnoux & Fils Vacqueyras Jean-Marie Arnoux -- off bottle with weird VA and poured

2006 Tallulah Syrah Bald Mountain Ranch -- awesome

jmdavidson

quality posts: 57 Private Messages jmdavidson

SWMBO comes home from work and says, "I had a really hard day. Open up something that'll take my mind off of work." So,
2005 Jana Cathedral. Delicious. Mission accomplished.

Itwdswafo

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Itwdswafo
jmdavidson wrote:SWMBO comes home from work and says, "I had a really hard day. Open up something that'll take my mind off of work." So,
2005 Jana Cathedral. Delicious. Mission accomplished.

Random. 09 Jana Riesling here. Perfect for the disgustingly hot days we're having. Delicious!

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg

'08 Hillebrand Showcase Cabernet Franc, Carlton Vineyard. Red raspberries, red currants, strawberries. Toasted our Canadian friends, including bahwm's best friend, whose birthday is today.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

bsevern

2005 Twisted Oak Viognier - meh, not so good and I love a nice Viognier......unfortunately this isn't one.

Next up, 2006 Sans Permis Pinot Noir Velours Paysage.

trifecta

quality posts: 73 Private Messages trifecta
kylemittskus wrote:
2006 Tallulah Syrah Bald Mountain Ranch -- awesome

My only bottles is very far away right now. Is it going to hold up for a while?

kylemittskus

trifecta wrote:My only bottles is very far away right now. Is it going to hold up for a while?

Absolutely. I'm not sure it'll get better since it's balanced (in an over-the-top style) right now but it will likely calm down.

tytiger58

quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58

After a long long long day at work...
NV Pehu Simonet Champagne Transparence Extra Brut, cause any day is a good day for Champagne!

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

capitalsfn

quality posts: 2 Private Messages capitalsfn

cameron hughes 262: 2010 mablec reserva (mendoza, argentina)

interesting malbec, had some decent tannins that made it way more interesting than most run of the mill malbecs.

Following up with a Ernesto Catena 'Tahuan' Malbec 2010, which I'm hoping will open up because it's kind of boring right now.

rjquillin

quality posts: 178 Private Messages rjquillin

2010 Dry Creek Vineyard Zinfandel Heritage
This isn't the 2009 tourists purchased cases of, still a decent Zin, just more rustic and lacking some of the finesse of the '09. A $12 Costco purchase, and for me worth it to add some to lay down. Seems this could easily improve with some bottle age, like a Pedroncelli.

CT

redwinefan

rjquillin wrote:2010 Dry Creek Vineyard Zinfandel Heritage
This isn't the 2009 tourists purchased cases of, still a decent Zin, just more rustic and lacking some of the finesse of the '09. A $12 Costco purchase, and for me worth it to add some to lay down. Seems this could easily improve with some bottle age, like a Pedroncelli.

Darn, I totally didn't see this at my Costco today, or else I would've purchased. $12 seems like a good price.

Due to my lack of whites, and the high temps, today I did a random purchasing of white wines at Costco costing approx $10.

Tonight I'm drinking the 2010 Mondavi Fume Blanc (Napa) purchased for 9.99. Definitely decent QPR. SB done in a California style, not grassy, or super acidic. Rich and citrusy. I'd give this an 87.

bsevern

bsevern wrote:2005 Twisted Oak Viognier - meh, not so good and I love a nice Viognier......unfortunately this isn't one.

Next up, 2006 Sans Permis Pinot Noir Velours Paysage.

Wanted to update my notes on the Twisted Oak Viognier, once it warmed up to almost room temp, it opened up, and was actually quite enjoyable.

BUT the Pinot stole the show

jmdavidson

quality posts: 57 Private Messages jmdavidson

2003 Matarredonda Toro Libranza. Something I picked up from LB for about $16 each. Solid Spanish Toro, nicely aged, smooth tannins and went well with bistec al queso.

joelsisk

quality posts: 10 Private Messages joelsisk

8-bit vinters, player 1

Not nearly as bad as I had feared. The label is pretty neat too.

cortot20

Sam Adams honey queen. Quite nice.

CT

klezman

quality posts: 126 Private Messages klezman

1999 York Creek Vineyards Spring Mountain Meritage. $25 at K&L right now and a nice deal at that price. Not the most complex Meritage blend out there, but it's got notes of jalapeno, olive, cassis and some vanilla. This one probably actually has a lot of life left in it...contemplating picking up a few more to try again in 2-3 years.

2014: 42 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2012 Iron Horse Estate Chardonnay
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

bsevern

klezman wrote:1999 York Creek Vineyards Spring Mountain Meritage. $25 at K&L right now and a nice deal at that price. Not the most complex Meritage blend out there, but it's got notes of jalapeno, olive, cassis and some vanilla. This one probably actually has a lot of life left in it...contemplating picking up a few more to try again in 2-3 years.

Can't go wrong with Spring Mountain fruit!