cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon

Bodegas Ollara Ursa Maior Rioja Reserva 2006.

Tasty stuff. Good to have some Rioja around again

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

noslensj

quality posts: 42 Private Messages noslensj
cmaldoon wrote:Bodegas Ollara Ursa Maior Rioja Reserva 2006.

Tasty stuff. Good to have some Rioja around again

Got some of that as well, but I haven't opened any yet. Instead tonight we had the 2006 Bodegas Olarra Rioja Anares Reserva. Also an excellent offering. I didn't care for the first bottle I tried, but I strongly suspect some transportation shock - I was so eager to try it that I popped one the day it arrived. This bottle was a wonderful midweek treat.

I love termpranillo and I have picked up enough good Rioja from both Bodegas Ollara and Bodegas Ondarre with no disappointments that they are moving toward autobuy at the WTSO pricing, at least for vintages up through 2006. I need to try some of their newer releases to find out if they've stayed consistent or have Parkerized themselves in recent years.

I worry because I wonder if some of the older stuff coming out reflects product they haven't been able to sell. Which could easily trigger them to change styles.

cmaldoon

noslensj wrote:Got some of that as well, but I haven't opened any yet. Instead tonight we had the 2006 Bodegas Olarra Rioja Anares Reserva. Also an excellent offering. I didn't care for the first bottle I tried, but I strongly suspect some transportation shock - I was so eager to try it that I popped one the day it arrived. This bottle was a wonderful midweek treat.

I love termpranillo and I have picked up enough good Rioja from both Bodegas Ollara and Bodegas Ondarre with no disappointments that they are moving toward autobuy at the WTSO pricing, at least for vintages up through 2006. I need to try some of their newer releases to find out if they've stayed consistent or have Parkerized themselves in recent years.

I worry because I wonder if some of the older stuff coming out reflects product they haven't been able to sell. Which could easily trigger them to change styles.

I've had the ondarre reserva and was generally disappointed in it. Found it a bit thin. Ok for the price but I like this one much better. I like Parker concentration but not usually Parker profile.

My Cellar

noslensj

quality posts: 42 Private Messages noslensj
cmaldoon wrote:I've had the ondarre reserva and was generally disappointed in it. Found it a bit thin. Ok for the price but I like this one much better. I like Parker concentration but not usually Parker profile.

The Ondarre Reserva I had was the 2004. I consumed it over one year, with the last bottle in December 2011. I remember enjoying that purchase quite a bit, but looking at my notes I see that when I consumed the last bottle I thought it may have moved past its prime. My comments at that point were that in contrast to previous bottles the flavors were muted and there was little heat or acidity.

tytiger58

quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58
cmaldoon wrote:I've had the ondarre reserva and was generally disappointed in it. Found it a bit thin. Ok for the price but I like this one much better. I like Parker concentration but not usually Parker profile.

I found the reserva had too much bottle variation, the Ondarre mayor was excellent for 10 dollars more. Thanks for the note I will buy some if it comes up again.

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

klezman

quality posts: 127 Private Messages klezman

End of the 2004 Brice Station Gold Rush Cab and the start of a 2007 McClean 2007 Syrah Rose. Damn that is tasty stuff. Went well with fish tacos too.

2014: 42 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2012 Iron Horse Estate Chardonnay
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

bsevern

quality posts: 110 Private Messages bsevern
noslensj wrote:The Ondarre Reserva I had was the 2004. I consumed it over one year, with the last bottle in December 2011. I remember enjoying that purchase quite a bit, but looking at my notes I see that when I consumed the last bottle I thought it may have moved past its prime. My comments at that point were that in contrast to previous bottles the flavors were muted and there was little heat or acidity.

I thought the 2004 Bodegas Ondarre Rioja Reserva was a good food wine, but fell flat by itself. Went great with spicy Thai food. Still have a couple of bottles left.

bsevern

2007 Del Carlo Old Vine Zinfandel (1880's vines) Teldeschi Vineyard Home Ranch - Dry Creek Valley.

This is singing right now. I recall opening a bottle a few years ago when I got the order thinking it was just meh until after a few hours in the decanter. What a difference a few years in the bottle made!

pseudogourmet98

quality posts: 19 Private Messages pseudogourmet98

2010 Chance Creek Sav Blanc (ordering more with today's PN purchase)
2005 McClean Syrah
2007 Alderbrook Zinfandel Port

Zin port!. It was divine (for my taste). The sweet you get from a port, the heat and fruit (raspberry?) you get from the zin. I admit i am not a sophisticated taster, but YUM! I agree with what North316 posted in the main thread; let's see some more of this type of offering.

bsevern

2007 Verismo Stretto - Napa Valley.

65% Syrah, 30% Merlot, 3% Malbec, 2% Petit Verdot. Nice "Italian" old world style red that's drinking far above it's $16 WTSO price point, great QPR.

klezman

quality posts: 127 Private Messages klezman

2006 Eaglepoint Ranch Winery Petite Sirah. Damn this is tasty stuff, and at the winery closeout price of $6 this is the best QPR wine I think I've ever had. Right there with the 1999 Sagrantino from Milk Pail a couple years ago for $4.

2014: 42 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2012 Iron Horse Estate Chardonnay
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

kylemittskus

quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus

2010 Château Puech-Haut Coteaux du Languedoc Saint-Drézéry Cuvée Prestige

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

cmaldoon

kylemittskus wrote:2010 Château Puech-Haut Coteaux du Languedoc Saint-Drézéry Cuvée Prestige

I have 3 of those hanging around. You'll have to post your notes!

My Cellar

kylemittskus

cmaldoon wrote:I have 3 of those hanging around. You'll have to post your notes!

Holy huge ass wine. Let them sleep! Menthol, pepper, strong tannin, kind of meaty. These probably need like 3 years. I have 2 more and I think that they will remain really big, but resolve with time.

tytiger58

kylemittskus wrote:Holy huge ass wine. Let them sleep! Menthol, pepper, strong tannin, kind of meaty. These probably need like 3 years. I have 2 more and I think that they will remain really big, but resolve with time.

O.K then I will let them hold my 11's for another year or so, then I will take delivery

kylemittskus

tytiger58 wrote:O.K then I will let them hold my 11's for another year or so, then I will take delivery

This stuff is HUGE. We'll see if the burgers can hold it back a bit. Want to trade a '10 for an '11? Or do you have some '10s?

tytiger58

kylemittskus wrote:This stuff is HUGE. We'll see if the burgers can hold it back a bit. Want to trade a '10 for an '11? Or do you have some '10s?

I don't have any 10's so consider it done..although I don't think I will have anything shipped until it cools down in the Fall.

tytiger58

Colman Nicole Romans Lot II Pinot

kylemittskus

tytiger58 wrote:I don't have any 10's so consider it done..although I don't think I will have anything shipped until it cools down in the Fall.

With temps reaching 103 here, probably a good idea.

redwinefan

quality posts: 74 Private Messages redwinefan

Anaba Coriol White 2009. Holding up nicely, rich but not overdone. Purchased from RLL a ways back via a WCC deal.

"You need to invest in a corkscrew. Wine is for drinking." -- Peter Wellington

otolith

quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith

2006 diStefano Cab Franc.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

kylemittskus

kylemittskus wrote:2010 Château Puech-Haut Coteaux du Languedoc Saint-Drézéry Cuvée Prestige

Pyrat rum. I was running low on Zaya 12 and saw this at Costco for about the same cost. Realized later it's by Patron.

It's horrible.

cmaldoon

kylemittskus wrote:Pyrat rum. I was running low on Zaya 12 and saw this at Costco for about the same cost. Realized later it's by Patron.

It's horrible.

Zara is certainly the goto here

My Cellar

kylemittskus

2008 Papapietro Perry Pinot Noir Elsbree Vineyard

tdedek

quality posts: 4 Private Messages tdedek

Thirsty Thursday!

Finishing off a bottle of 2011 Liquid Farm Chardonnay White Hill. Then a 2010 Demetria Estate Pantheon.

Ready to be home for the day. More than ready for the weekend.

fredrinaldi

quality posts: 36 Private Messages fredrinaldi

RBW "Bad moon rising"

kylemittskus

fredrinaldi wrote:RBW "Bad moon rising"

And in the correct thread this time!

tytiger58

Budget bustin Thursday.. 02 corison Napa cab

fredrinaldi

quality posts: 36 Private Messages fredrinaldi
kylemittskus wrote:And in the correct thread this time!

cmaldoon

tytiger58 wrote:Budget bustin Thursday.. 02 corison Napa cab

Opposite: Bodegas Brecca Garnacha de Fuego old vines 2011.

Damn good wine for $6. Damn good wine for $15. Luckily I paid the former.

My Cellar

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg

'06 Twisted Oak Grenache. SWMBO thinks it may be on the downslope, but I think it's just by nature a lighter-bodied wine than the last couple of Syrahs we've had. In any case, it's drinking really nice right now.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

cortot20

quality posts: 153 Private Messages cortot20

07' mcclean Syrah. Noticed the bottle had a small drip running down the wine rack. So I opened it. Bork had a small stain down 1 side but the wine seems fine. It definitely wasn't that way when it got delivered. Odd.

CT

tytiger58

cmaldoon wrote:Opposite: Bodegas Brecca Garnacha de Fuego old vines 2011.

Where did you buy it?

kylemittskus

tytiger58 wrote:Where did you buy it?

It was a WL email blast. Then Cindy had it a while ago. I grabbed 5.

cmaldoon

tytiger58 wrote:Where did you buy it?

total wine in your neck of the woods. I bought out the redondo beach store

My Cellar

cmaldoon

kylemittskus wrote:It was a WL email blast. Then Cindy had it a while ago. I grabbed 5.

Yes, that was that first time i got it, but that half case was finished months ago.

My Cellar

otolith

quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith
cmaldoon wrote:Opposite: Bodegas Brecca Garnacha de Fuego old vines 2011.

Isn't that just a great bottle of wine for the price? Some of the best QPR out there.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

ERMD

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ERMD

Bombay and tonic with a key lime

rc70

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rc70

2010 Pedroncelli mother clone zin with rare NY steaks and grilled veggies from our garden - wonderful.

tytiger58

cmaldoon wrote:total wine in your neck of the woods. I bought out the redondo beach store

Thanks I will be on the lookout for these. Your recent foray into Spanish wines reminds me I need to dig into that part of my cellar...maybe next week will be wines from Spain

Kyle want to trade one or sell one?