cortot20

quality posts: 152 Private Messages cortot20

Sam Adams third voyage double IPA. Wanted something strong to cut through the cold I'm dealing with and this did the trick.

CT

klezman

quality posts: 126 Private Messages klezman

2002 Chateau Bianca Pinot Noir. Underwhelming, unfortunately. Decent bottle flavours, some pleasant oxidation/raisining. Not as much complexity as I would have expected from a 11 year old OR Pinot.

2014: 42 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2012 Iron Horse Estate Chardonnay
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

loveladyelectric

quality posts: 23 Private Messages loveladyelectric

2011 Municipal Winemakers Riesling.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus

2009 Cave de Tain l'Hermitage Crozes-Hermitage Les Hauts de Fief

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

tytiger58

quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58
kylemittskus wrote:2009 Cave de Tain l'Hermitage Crozes-Hermitage Les Hauts de Fief

Oh man I enjoyed that one....have 1 left

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

randysanders

quality posts: 5 Private Messages randysanders

2006 Ty Caton Cabernet. I've been ignoring my Tys and Wellingtons. Opened it yesterday and it was phenomenal, today too. Had it with excellent pizza. Also had an artichoke. Have you ever noticed how artichokes just "suck the flavor out of wine"? I really don't know how else to describe the phenomenon.

cortot20

loveladyelectric wrote:2011 Municipal Winemakers Riesling.

The sweetness or bright white?

CT

rjquillin

quality posts: 178 Private Messages rjquillin

Budget Thursday:
2005 McClean PR Syrah
2006 Truchard Carneros Tempranillo

CT

bsevern

quality posts: 110 Private Messages bsevern

2005 Twisted Oak *%#&@! in my big azz glass. Nice bottle bouquet, now that it's opening up it has nice blue berries on the nose, bit of allspice, which transfer to the palate with a bit of baking clove spices. Clean, long finish with spicy blue fruits

Not bad at all.

jmdavidson

quality posts: 57 Private Messages jmdavidson

2006 Bell Wine Cellars CS Napa Valley

neilfindswine

quality posts: 171 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

'10 Augusta Winery estate Norton- from Missouri! Very interesting... Juicy! Fruity with good acidity... Followed by undeniable vanilla/oak. Did I mention its from Missouri?

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

klezman

2006 Gamache Reserve Gamache-Champoux Cab. Riper than expected for a Washington Cab, but balanced enough and pretty tasty.

2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon
rjquillin wrote:Budget Thursday:
2005 McClean PR Syrah

Yeah... Because the McClean really drinks like a "budget" bottle.

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

kylemittskus

2007 Scott Harvey Zinfandel Vineyard 1869

tdedek

quality posts: 4 Private Messages tdedek

2012 Liquid Farm Rose
2010 Jones Family The Sisters

tytiger58

tdedek wrote:2012 Liquid Farm Rose
2010 Jones Family The Sisters

How is the Liquid Farm?? Just bought some of that and a few chards.

kylemittskus

tytiger58 wrote:How is the Liquid Farm?? Just bought some of that and a few chards.

I'm also very curious.

pseudogourmet98

quality posts: 19 Private Messages pseudogourmet98

Help please!

Grilled lamb chops (rare) with fresh rosemary and garlic and grilled balsamic veggies, arugula salad with fresh goat cheese. What to pour? I was considering a Cab, a Barbera or a GSM blend. Am I way off base?

tdedek

quality posts: 4 Private Messages tdedek
tytiger58 wrote:How is the Liquid Farm?? Just bought some of that and a few chards.

Ty, I love them. The Rose is off the charts good, lots going on in a very good way. Beautiful color, strawberry nose and you can even get a little earthy funk if you give it a good swirl. Doesn't show much when chilled too cold, let it warm a bit. Strawberry and white fruits with a medium-ish body (for a Rose) that stays light on it's feet with a nice lingering finish. Mineral laden with balanced acidity. I don't think you will be disappointed and if you are, send them my way! I'm looking forward to some more tonight.

I haven't opened a Golden Slope yet, but did have a White Hill the other night. QPR for me is excellent at ~$32 per. Personally, I haven't found another Cali Chard (or Chablis...) in this price range that can touch it, imo. Already planning on ordering a half case of the White Hill and some additional Rose. Inevitably, probably some Golden Slope too after I try it sometime this weekend.

I already told Nik she can bump me to the case club in the fall instead of the 6 bottle. Beyond the wines being great, the people seem to be as well. Great interaction and awesome purchasing experience overall. Will happily continue to support their efforts.

kylemittskus

pseudogourmet98 wrote:Help please!

Grilled lamb chops (rare) with fresh rosemary and garlic and grilled balsamic veggies, arugula salad with fresh goat cheese. What to pour? I was considering a Cab, a Barbera or a GSM blend. Am I way off base?

Lamb = big wine. PS if you have any. GSM is probably not big enough. Barbera maybe depending on producer/region/year.

ajrod27

quality posts: 41 Private Messages ajrod27

Pinot Noir pairs very well with grilled lamb! Something about the funkiness of Pinot pairs very well with the gaminess of lamb

pseudogourmet98

quality posts: 19 Private Messages pseudogourmet98
kylemittskus wrote:Lamb = big wine. PS if you have any. GSM is probably not big enough. Barbera maybe depending on producer/region/year.

Meeker 2006 PS
SH 2010 Mountain Selecton Barbera
Lang (? Year) Barbera
Ardente 1997 Cab

I do have this bottle of 2001 Spring Mountan Vinyards Cab....

tytiger58

tdedek wrote:Ty, I love them. The Rose is off the charts good, lots going on in a very good way. Beautiful color, strawberry nose and you can even get a little earthy funk if you give it a good swirl. Doesn't show much when chilled too cold, let it warm a bit. Strawberry and white fruits with a medium-ish body (for a Rose) that stays light on it's feet with a nice lingering finish. Mineral laden with balanced acidity. I don't think you will be disappointed and if you are, send them my way! I'm looking forward to some more tonight.

I haven't opened a Golden Slope yet, but did have a White Hill the other night. QPR for me is excellent at ~$32 per. Personally, I haven't found another Cali Chard (or Chablis...) in this price range that can touch it, imo. Already planning on ordering a half case of the White Hill and some additional Rose. Inevitably, probably some Golden Slope too after I try it sometime this weekend.

I already told Nik she can bump me to the case club in the fall instead of the 6 bottle. Beyond the wines being great, the people seem to be as well. Great interaction and awesome purchasing experience overall. Will happily continue to support their efforts.

Oh hell...looks like I will be trying one of each this weekend (seafood feast!)

And I agree great people to deal with! Thanks for the notes.

ajrod27

cortot20 wrote:Sam Adams third voyage double IPA. Wanted something strong to cut through the cold I'm dealing with and this did the trick.

Drinking lots of liquids to fight off that cold, good idea!

rjquillin wrote:Budget Thursday:
2005 McClean PR Syrah

How is the Truchard Temp doing? I bought the 2003-2006 vintages when they were on woot and have been very happy will all of them. Amazing QPR!

kylemittskus wrote:2007 Scott Harvey Zinfandel Vineyard 1869

Magnum of fifth? How is it holding up?

moondigger

quality posts: 11 Private Messages moondigger
pseudogourmet98 wrote:Meeker 2006 PS
Lang (? Year) Barbera
Ardente 1997 Cab

Cab can work with lamb. Not sure which I would suggest.

For Palm Sunday I opened a bottle of Four Vines PS. Decanted over an hour. It was great with leg of lamb.

fredrinaldi

quality posts: 35 Private Messages fredrinaldi

Tera Bella Russian River Vally, Cab

kylemittskus

pseudogourmet98 wrote:Meeker 2006 PS
Lang (? Year) Barbera
Ardente 1997 Cab

I'd say Meeker or the Spring Mt. (excellent year and likely emerging into something beautiful right about now).

klezman

I'd stay away from the GSM unless it's Syrah-heavy - the meaty notes of Syrah pair well with lamb. I've had decent success with Cabs going with lamb, but they'd need to be the food-friendly high acid type. Barbera I'd avoid - too light for the lamb. If you have any, I'd also consider PS (as already suggested) and give it a long decant or Tempranillo. Aged Rioja and lamb is one of the best matches, imo.

So my ordering would be: Tempranillo or cooler climate Syrah in the top spot, followed by other Syrah, PS or Cab (depending on the specifics), then anything else.

I am intrigued by this idea of Pinot, though. Would need a heavier clone, like Pommard.

ajrod27

klezman wrote:

I am intrigued by this idea of Pinot, though. Would need a heavier clone, like Pommard.

I only do Pinot with rack of lamb or chops. The leg, shank and stew meat seem to be heavier and require a heavier wine. Also, I do not heavily herb my chops; just olive oil, salt, pepper and a touch of fresh Rosemary. Damn, now I'm craving lamb!

tytiger58

2009 Carlisle Two Acres

chipgreen

quality posts: 197 Private Messages chipgreen
neilfindswine wrote:'10 Augusta Winery estate Norton- from Missouri! Very interesting... Juicy! Fruity with good acidity... Followed by undeniable vanilla/oak. Did I mention its from Missouri?

The oak itself is even from MO if I'm not mistaken.

neilfindswine

quality posts: 171 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

chipgreen wrote:The oak itself is even from MO if I'm not mistaken.

Day 2 was smoother. All in all a very interesting, unexpected bottle. Missouri. Who knew?

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

chipgreen

quality posts: 197 Private Messages chipgreen

NV LaMarca Prosecco

Not bad at all for an inexpensive Italian sparkler.

losthighwayz

quality posts: 59 Private Messages losthighwayz

2011 Altas Herencia Garnatxa Negra preceded by 2010 Scott Harvey Zin preceded by 2011 Rock Hollow Sauv Blanc

"The older I get the better I was"

kylemittskus

ajrod27 wrote:Magnum of fifth? How is it holding up?

Absolutely awesome. Easily recognizable as a Zin. Nice acidic bite. Nice mild tannin structure. Juicy and full in the mouth without being gloppy. Sad it was my only bottle.

cortot20

Some Aussie SB at my parents house. Very quaffable for a warm evening.

CT

rjquillin

ajrod27 wrote:How is the Truchard Temp doing? I bought the 2003-2006 vintages when they were on woot and have been very happy will all of them. Amazing QPR!

My first bottle of the '06 and I was pretty toasted last night. Tonight, still tired and late, somewhat cola like, bright fruit, surprisingly good acid back. A bit of sediment in the neck. Perhaps not the greatest match with frig leftovers glued together with egg and cheese and cumin, but I got home late, hungry, thirsty. I'll revisit it again tomorrow.

CT

rjquillin

kylemittskus wrote:Absolutely awesome. Easily recognizable as a Zin. Nice acidic bite. Nice mild tannin structure. Juicy and full in the mouth without being gloppy. Sad it was my only bottle.

This was a mag of, what..?
1869?

CT

kylemittskus

rjquillin wrote:This was a mag of, what..?
1869?

Not a mag. Standard bottle.

CAGrl

quality posts: 13 Private Messages CAGrl
kylemittskus wrote:Absolutely awesome. Easily recognizable as a Zin. Nice acidic bite. Nice mild tannin structure. Juicy and full in the mouth without being gloppy. Sad it was my only bottle.

Drink now or hold onto it. I have 2007, 2008 and 2009.