funbunny

quality posts: 25 Private Messages funbunny

I know most complain about New Zealand SB, but after working outside today in 90+ degree weather, it is tasting really good right now after a shower and in my jammies. I like a little grapefruit bomb on a hot summer night. I find them very refreshing.

"Wine is sunshine held together by water" - Galileo Galilei

jmdavidson

quality posts: 54 Private Messages jmdavidson

2007 McClean Ruby Syrah to sip on a hot Chicago night.

chemvictim

quality posts: 3 Private Messages chemvictim

Twisted Oak 2009 Red Hill Vineyard tempranillo...it is so good.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
losthighwayz wrote:2008 KR PS...I must have had a bad bottle first time around....this is amazeballs!

I feel like I told you that was a bad bottle whenever that was... KR PS is awesome.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

kylemittskus

funbunny wrote:I know most complain about New Zealand SB, but after working outside today in 90+ degree weather, it is tasting really good right now after a shower and in my jammies. I like a little grapefruit bomb on a hot summer night. I find them very refreshing.

SWMBO loves NZ grapefruit/grass bombs. They were so popular in the wine world 5-7 years ago and now the wine word hates them. We change our minds a lot.

rjquillin

quality posts: 168 Private Messages rjquillin

2008 Praxis Pinot Noir
This has evolved into a pretty decent PN. Amazing what two years of patience will do for a $12 bottle.

CT

klezman

quality posts: 119 Private Messages klezman
karenhynes wrote:Hi Klezman,

I have only pretty brief notes from the weekend, but my impression was that the tannins were nicely intregrated. There was not much fruit to speak of (a little currant and black cherry, and maybe plum), a fair bit of black pepper/spice, a healthy dose of a vegetal note which I decided to call green pepper. My friend who ws around to taste it on day 2 agreed. I will say it seemed a bit nicer on day 2, when it developed some leather/tobacco notes, though it is really just not one of my favorites. I'm beginning to think I may just not be fond of Merlot in general, no matter how well done it may be.

Hope that helps!

Very helpful...thanks! Sounds like it has plenty of life left.

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

bsevern

quality posts: 109 Private Messages bsevern

This was a total flyer from a Lastbottle marathon, 2006 Broc Cellars Arrowhead Mountain Reserve, Sonoma.

Killer juice, BIG WINE, but balanced, and just amazing, finish goes for days, really tasty.

I wish I could find more!

chipgreen

quality posts: 177 Private Messages chipgreen
bsevern wrote:This was a total flyer from a Lastbottle marathon, 2006 Broc Cellars Arrowhead Mountain Reserve, Sonoma.

Killer juice, BIG WINE, but balanced, and just amazing, finish goes for days, really tasty.

I wish I could find more!

I picked up a couple of those. I almost created a new CT listing for it since the person who created this one should have listed theirs as Zinfandel instead. They put Zinfandel Blend for the variety and the bottle pictured clearly shows Zinfandel on the label, but the name is correct for ours. I think I submitted a change from Zinfandel Blend to Red Blend but it must not have been approved.

EDIT: I see somebody did create a new listing and used the LB picture from March Madness, lol. Was that you?

ajrod27

quality posts: 41 Private Messages ajrod27

Been a while since I posted here...

2003 Uvaggio (L'Uvaggio di Giacomo) il Lupo Barbera/Nebbiolo

bsevern

quality posts: 109 Private Messages bsevern
chipgreen wrote:I picked up a couple of those. I almost created a new CT listing for it since the person who created this one should have listed theirs as Zinfandel instead. They put Zinfandel Blend for the variety and the bottle pictured clearly shows Zinfandel on the label, but the name is correct for ours. I think I submitted a change from Zinfandel Blend to Red Blend but it must not have been approved.

EDIT: I see somebody did create a new listing and used the LB picture from March Madness, lol. Was that you?

Not sure who added it (could've been me, don't recall). The one CT review wasn't good, wonder if they had a bad bottle? Apparently this is a blend of Zin and Syrah.

Looks like this is the winery:

http://www.arrowheadmountainwinery.com/

kylemittskus

2007 Cabot Vineyards Syrah Humboldt County

tdedek

quality posts: 4 Private Messages tdedek

2002 Ardente tonight.

cortot20

quality posts: 130 Private Messages cortot20

Going to a luau tonight so probably something fruity.

CT

tytiger58

quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58

2007 Tolaini Al Passo Toscana IGT with Osso Bucco nice mid week wine...better meal!

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316

Quady Winery Batch 88 Starboard (Port)

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

bkarlan

quality posts: 46 Private Messages bkarlan

Snow Maiden sake.

Speaking of which, I haven't seen a sake offering recently

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse..." - John Stuart Mill

losthighwayz

quality posts: 58 Private Messages losthighwayz

2003 Wine Smith Chard...non buttery chard paired with shrimp n lemon pasta...nice

"The older I get the better I was"

tytiger58

kylemittskus wrote:2007 Cabot Vineyards Syrah Humboldt County

What do you think?

chipgreen

quality posts: 177 Private Messages chipgreen

Quaffmor SB

kylemittskus

tytiger58 wrote:What do you think?

Awesome. Period.

rjquillin

bkarlan wrote:Snow Maiden sake.

Speaking of which, I haven't seen a sake offering recently

Recently!?
October 1 of '11 to be precise.

What is the deal with that?

CT

rjquillin

tdedek wrote:2002 Ardente tonight.

and...?
I have got cases of Ardente to drink thru.
Hey Fred, how about we do a vertical tasting of Ardente cabs at your digs?

CT

rjquillin

Something called Red Mountain.

No, not that "Red Mountain" from the 60's & 70's, but 2010 Hedges Family Estate Red Mountain from Costco. Not plonk, but not worth much more than the $15 close out price either.
It's budget Wednesday.

CT

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
jmdavidson wrote:2007 McClean Ruby Syrah to sip on a hot Chicago night.

I've got that Vineyard on tap for tonight also. It has been a long time since I've been as excited for a wine as I am tonight!

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

kylemittskus

rjquillin wrote:Something called Red Mountain.

No, not that "Red Mountain" from the 60's & 70's, but 2010 Hedges Family Estate Red Mountain from Costco. Not plonk, but not worth much more than the $15 close out price either.
It's budget Wednesday.

Read this thread:

http://www.wineberserkers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=83757

rjquillin

kylemittskus wrote:Read this thread:

Looks like I may have stubbed my toe on this one, and that thread makes yesterday's dust up and us look like rank slackers.
It wasn't ~bad~, I had just, based on the blend, hoped for more.

Now I know where my second bottle will be going on a certain upcoming Saturday!
Clearly this is burger bottle.

CT

moondigger

quality posts: 11 Private Messages moondigger
kylemittskus wrote:Read this thread:

I read the thread, but the link to the Facebook page fails, so it's unclear what Hedges reps actually said/did there. From context it sounds like they responded poorly, ala Amy's Baking Company.

bhodilee

moondigger wrote:I read the thread, but the link to the Facebook page fails, so it's unclear what Hedges reps actually said/did there. From context it sounds like they responded poorly, ala Amy's Baking Company.

Well now you know what to take with you when you go there!

And an appearance by the long lost Clayfu!

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

moondigger

bhodilee wrote:Well now you know what to take with you when you go there!

Go where?

tytiger58

rjquillin wrote:Looks like I may have stubbed my toe on this one, and that thread makes yesterday's dust up and us look like rank slackers.
It wasn't ~bad~, I had just, based on the blend, hoped for more.

Now I know where my second bottle will be going on a certain upcoming Saturday!
Clearly this is burger bottle.

Sounds to me it's' fit for the drain or a red sauce, bring a corison!

bhodilee

moondigger wrote:Go where?

Amy's. you go there, you take a bottle of this and you're set for a whole night of crazy!

moondigger

bhodilee wrote:Amy's. you go there, you take a bottle of this and you're set for a whole night of crazy!

Ah, gotcha. I wonder if Amy's has the Hedges wine in question on their menu?

If anybody is unfamiliar with the Amy's Baking Company story, there's plenty of stuff to be found in a Google search. Also, there was a recent episode of Kitchen Nightmares that features it. Available on YouTube.

kylemittskus

moondigger wrote:I read the thread, but the link to the Facebook page fails, so it's unclear what Hedges reps actually said/did there. From context it sounds like they responded poorly, ala Amy's Baking Company.

Hedges on their wall or page or something (I don't have FB) used the guy's name and said something about his 20k twitter followers and basically insulted him publicly on their page.

moondigger

kylemittskus wrote:Hedges on their wall or page or something (I don't have FB) used the guy's name and said something about his 20k twitter followers and basically insulted him publicly on their page.

Sounds a lot like how the Amy's Baking Company thing started back in 2010. Some guy posted a negative review of the restaurant on Yelp, and Amy herself responded, accusing the guy of:

1) being a plant from a competing restaurant;
2) being a (insult noun, rhymes with 'boron') who doesn't know what food is supposed to taste like; and
3) being ugly. (She remembered him from his visit.)

IIRC, she later went on to claim that all positive reviews of her restaurant and food on Yelp were legitimate, and that all negative reviews were plants from competing restaurants, a reddit/internet conspiracy, or both.

Back to the Dan Hammer/Hedges review. He claims on the Wine Berserkers thread not to have insulted Washington state red wines in general, but his negative CT review of the "undrinkable" Hedges wine does end with this statement:

"This is what I get for wanting to drink a Washington red."

I'm not sure how that could be taken any other way.

joelsisk

quality posts: 7 Private Messages joelsisk
chipgreen wrote:Quaffmor SB

Had that as well Monday. Was really good... better colder than cellar temp.

kylemittskus

Started researching ABC.

One word: AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!

moondigger

kylemittskus wrote:Started researching ABC.

One word: AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!

It really is pretty funny/awesome/sad, depending on your perspective. If you haven't yet watched the Kitchen Nightmares episode, I strongly recommend doing so. As mentioned previously, it's available on YouTube (in two parts).

kylemittskus

moondigger wrote:It really is pretty funny/awesome/sad, depending on your perspective. If you haven't yet watched the Kitchen Nightmares episode, I strongly recommend doing so. As mentioned previously, it's available on YouTube (in two parts).

Watched and watched. That lady has serious psych problems. Sad. But since I'm an a-hole, HILARIOUS.

moondigger

kylemittskus wrote:Watched and watched. That lady has serious psych problems.

Yup.

Sad. But since I'm an a-hole, HILARIOUS.

I agree that it's hilarious. But I think of it as hilarious/sad, if that makes any sense.