karenhynes

quality posts: 10 Private Messages karenhynes

2004 Helios Merlot

Wine is bottled poetry - Robert Louis Stevenson

jmdavidson

quality posts: 57 Private Messages jmdavidson

Cooper's Hawk Barbera (NV) to go with pizza topped with Italian sausage, green peppers and onions.

neilfindswine

quality posts: 170 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

'10 Alfaro Family Pinot Noir Lester Family Vineyard. Santa Cruz Mtns...

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

bsevern

quality posts: 109 Private Messages bsevern

Drinking a bottle of 2009 Sterling Vinter's Collection Merlot a friend gifted me while I put together some PowerPoint presentations

moondigger

quality posts: 11 Private Messages moondigger

2006 Penfolds Koonunga Hill Cabernet Merlot. This was a gift bottle forgotten in the back of my wine chiller for a couple years. Has that characteristic bold (if not complex) inexpensive Australian cabernet profile.

jmdavidson

moondigger wrote:2006 Penfolds Koonunga Hill Cabernet Merlot. This was a gift bottle forgotten in the back of my wine chiller for a couple years. Has that characteristic bold (if not complex) inexpensive Australian cabernet profile.

Three merlots tonight and one for sale on LB. Could there be a resurgence in this?

klezman

quality posts: 122 Private Messages klezman

2011 Twisted Oak Albarino
1997 Ridge Getserville (74% Zin, 15% Carignane, 10% PS, 1% Mataro/Mourvedre)
2001 Wellington Reserve Syrah
2007 Hunt Country Late Harvest Vignoles
16 year old Glenliver Nadurra (cask strength)

Damn this was a delicious evening of liquor and food.

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

moondigger

jmdavidson wrote:Three merlots tonight and one for sale on LB. Could there be a resurgence in this?

Mine is a cabernet-merlot blend, that tastes mostly like a cabernet. I'm not sure if the merlot characteristics would have been more prominent if I had tasted the wine a couple years ago during the CT-consensus drinking window.

chipgreen

quality posts: 188 Private Messages chipgreen
bsevern wrote:I've yet to try the Swami and Rockus, although I have several bottles. Do you feel these are more drink now, or am I OK to cellar them for a while?

I haven't tried the Rockus yet either, but I would say the Swami can hold for another couple years, probably best within 1-2.

tytiger58

quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58

Mothers day so a wine from a female winemaker, 2010 A Tribute to Grace Grenache...or a Corison??

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

rjquillin

quality posts: 174 Private Messages rjquillin
tytiger58 wrote:Mothers day so a wine from a female winemaker, 2010 A Tribute to Grace Grenache...or a Corison??

What's for supper?

CT

tytiger58

rjquillin wrote:What's for supper?

Well if you can get here in an hour or so we are taking mother to Gladstones in Malibu..good lord it's hot here

jmdavidson

2009 Kunde Red Dirt Red and 2004 Loacker Corte Pavone Levante.

rjquillin

tytiger58 wrote:Well if you can get here in an hour or so we are taking mother to Gladstones in Malibu..good lord it's hot here

38C here a bit ago, and the teleporter failed at 35C.
Yes, quite hot.

CT

losthighwayz

quality posts: 59 Private Messages losthighwayz

2006 iron horse cuveee
2010 Chance creek Sauv blanc
2010 keverson Pinot
Swami Pinot
2008 wellington zin

Busy mothers day....but someone's gotta drink up, right?

"The older I get the better I was"

kylemittskus

quality posts: 230 Private Messages kylemittskus

2007 Tobin James Bodacious Petite Sirah

with hot dogs over an open fire at the beach.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

cortot20

quality posts: 141 Private Messages cortot20

2011 Quinson Fils Côtes de Provence
thanks for the tip kyle, it is excellent for the price and blows away the rose de robles at the same $6 price point at TJ's

CT

kylemittskus

cortot20 wrote:2011 Quinson Fils Côtes de Provence
thanks for the tip kyle, it is excellent for the price and blows away the rose de robles at the same $6 price point at TJ's

Found 6 more.

Tonight: Last bottle of 2008 Torre Quarto Uva di Troia Bottaccia Puglia IGT

tytiger58

kylemittskus wrote:Found 6 more.

Tonight: Last bottle of 2008 Torre Quarto Uva di Troia Bottaccia Puglia IGT

One of the best QPR's ever that Torre Quarto..

Tonight 2012 Copain Tous Ensemble Rosé

bsevern

2008 Inspiration Vineyards Zinfandel, a lot going on in the glass.

rjquillin

Leftovers;
killed off the Foppiano SB from a couple days ago, and now working on some MM 2005 Syrah from yesterday with leftover homemade pizza, fresh salad and the rosemary bread. It was too hot to cook, 39.5C. Now I know why summer is for whites.

CT

moondigger

bsevern wrote:2008 Inspiration Vineyards Zinfandel, a lot going on in the glass.

I had this wine about a week ago for the first time. Very glad I have more bottles waiting.

moondigger

kylemittskus wrote:Tonight: Last bottle of 2008 Torre Quarto Uva di Troia Bottaccia Puglia IGT
tytiger58 wrote:One of the best QPR's ever that Torre Quarto.

This is still available through some mail order outfits. In your opinion(s), what price per bottle (shipped) is the QPR 'breaking point?'

Thanks--

bsevern

moondigger wrote:I had this wine about a week ago for the first time. Very glad I have more bottles waiting.

As this opens up, this is some amazing Zin.... how long was that tax break sale?

Glad I have a bunch left, I don't think it's going to last long... Jon really is an excellent wine maker, we're lucky to have him on woot.

bsevern

rjquillin wrote:...now working on some MM 2005 Syrah from yesterday...

I have to admit my first couple of MM bottles were lackluster, but the last couple I had were tasty (cabs).

How was the Syrah?

rjquillin

bsevern wrote:I have to admit my first couple of MM bottles were lackluster, but the last couple I had were tasty (cabs).

How was the Syrah?

Not stellar by any rationale, but above what we paid for them. $10 for a somewhat aged syrah, sure. No flaws. Fruit was there, but reserved, some spice and pepper as well, but reserved. Not a spectacular finish, but the tannins were, resolved and balanced. A cut above a Tuesday pizza wine, but not a standout.

I've got a few CS, but more CF and PV. This was my only '05 syrah, but I've got some on either side. Should have saved this for a vertical, oh well, it did it's duty.

CT

tytiger58

moondigger wrote:This is still available through some mail order outfits. In your opinion(s), what price per bottle (shipped) is the QPR 'breaking point?'

Thanks--

I'm pretty sure I got them for 10 or 11 dollars (Kyle might have the exact price?)the 07 and 08 were really nice...I thought they drank at twice their price easily. How is that drinking now Kyle?

chipgreen

quality posts: 188 Private Messages chipgreen
moondigger wrote:I had this wine about a week ago for the first time. Very glad I have more bottles waiting.

I was very disappointed that there wasn't at least one bottle of Zin in the recent Inspiration "Mixed Reds" offer on WW. I put together a case order on the Inspiration website during the tax day sale but then changed my mind and bailed on it.

bsevern

chipgreen wrote:I was very disappointed that there wasn't at least one bottle of Zin in the recent Inspiration "Mixed Reds" offer on WW. I put together a case order on the Inspiration website during the tax day sale but then changed my mind and bailed on it.

Several of us tasted through the reds in the recent Inspiration "Mixed Reds" offer, all very good, solid wines, and a great deal in retrospect.

cortot20

quality posts: 141 Private Messages cortot20

Cheap sparkling wines and some beer in celebration of a friends engagement.

CT

moondigger

tytiger58 wrote:I'm pretty sure I got them for 10 or 11 dollars [...] I thought they drank at twice their price easily.

So it sounds like $16 per bottle shipped is a fair (if not great) deal. I'm still trying to stick to a SIWBM, but this wine would hold interest for some in my family, due to it being from Puglia.

kylemittskus

tytiger58 wrote:I'm pretty sure I got them for 10 or 11 dollars (Kyle might have the exact price?)the 07 and 08 were really nice...I thought they drank at twice their price easily. How is that drinking now Kyle?

At $12, it's unbelievable QPR. Still delicious. Probably the most complex sub-$15 wine I've ever had.

klezman

quality posts: 122 Private Messages klezman
karenhynes wrote:2004 Helios Merlot

How is this doing? I would hate to miss the drinking window on this one.

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
rjquillin wrote:
I've got a few CS, but more CF and PV. This was my only '05 syrah, but I've got some on either side. Should have saved this for a vertical, oh well, it did it's duty.

The PV was my favorite of the bunch so far. I think I still have a Cab or two that I have yet to try.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

tytiger58

2009 I Giusti & Zanza Belcore Toscana IGT

bsevern

North316 wrote:The PV was my favorite of the bunch so far. I think I still have a Cab or two that I have yet to try.

I recently had a bottle of 2007 Moon Mountain Vineyard Petit Verdot, and it was very good.

kylemittskus

bsevern wrote:I recently had a bottle of 2007 Moon Mountain Vineyard Petit Verdot, and it was very good.

I think I have one of those...

kylemittskus

kylemittskus wrote:2008 Torre Quarto Uva di Troia Bottaccia Puglia IGT

Finished this off with some cheese and crackers just now.

Tonight: not sure. Eggplant parmesean for dinner....

2009 Di Majo Norante Aglianico Molise Contado Riserva

karenhynes

quality posts: 10 Private Messages karenhynes
klezman wrote:How is this doing? I would hate to miss the drinking window on this one.

Hi Klezman,

I have only pretty brief notes from the weekend, but my impression was that the tannins were nicely intregrated. There was not much fruit to speak of (a little currant and black cherry, and maybe plum), a fair bit of black pepper/spice, a healthy dose of a vegetal note which I decided to call green pepper. My friend who ws around to taste it on day 2 agreed. I will say it seemed a bit nicer on day 2, when it developed some leather/tobacco notes, though it is really just not one of my favorites. I'm beginning to think I may just not be fond of Merlot in general, no matter how well done it may be.

Hope that helps!

Wine is bottled poetry - Robert Louis Stevenson

losthighwayz

quality posts: 59 Private Messages losthighwayz

2008 KR PS...I must have had a bad bottle first time around....this is amazeballs!

"The older I get the better I was"