kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
loveladyelectric wrote:It was good, but I wasn't crazy about it. I loved the 2010 Halcon syrah, and this definitely had similar characteristics, but the fruit was more closed off. It had a great wet stone minerality that I get from the syrah, but the mourvedre and grenache had little to add.

All this being said, I prefer grenache and syrah single varietal wines over GSM blends 90% of the time.

Thanks. Sleeping mine will stay.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

tytiger58

quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58
loveladyelectric wrote:It was good, but I wasn't crazy about it. I loved the 2010 Halcon syrah, and this definitely had similar characteristics, but the fruit was more closed off. It had a great wet stone minerality that I get from the syrah, but the mourvedre and grenache had little to add.

All this being said, I prefer grenache and syrah single varietal wines over GSM blends 90% of the time.

I will be happy to take them off your hands if you don't want them?? PM me.

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

kylemittskus

2009 La Carraia Tizzonero Umbria IGT

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316

Stein Family Magic Hour Moscato

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

tytiger58

2008 Tenuta Monteti Caburnio Toscana IGT

rjquillin

quality posts: 171 Private Messages rjquillin
North316 wrote:Stein Family Magic Hour Moscato

I'd be interested in your take on this. A difficult bottle for me.

CT

North316

rjquillin wrote:I'd be interested in your take on this. A difficult bottle for me.

I actually quite enjoy it. It is definitely not for everyone though. For having 3% RS i thought it was pretty balanced, definitely not cloying in anyway. The cab franc really compliments the moscato and provides for a good acid backbone. There is lots of fruit there, but not totally decernable, maybe some cranberries, strawberries and some citrus, also it seems like a touch of effervescense but that may just be perceived with the acid. The acid is there, but the lightness and sweetness probably doesn't help this hold up to many food pairings. We had salads and grilled chicken and it worked, but I like it better as an after dinner sipper.

My CT

kylemittskus

jmdavidson wrote:Any tasting notes?

Day 2: this is WAY better. The acid and tannins have appeared and the sweetness has toned down a lot! Last night, I didn't finish a glass. Tonight, I'm close to finishing the bottle.

neilfindswine

quality posts: 170 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

So much for "no wine Wednesday".

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

klezman

quality posts: 122 Private Messages klezman

Tonight is "finish that bottle" night. 2005 Tenementi Ricci Brunello, 2006 S.A. Prum Riesling Auslese, and Yalumba Muscat Tawny Port. All are fantastic, most surprising being the last one - gained significant complexity in the fridge for the last week or two since we opened it.

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

loveladyelectric

quality posts: 23 Private Messages loveladyelectric
tytiger58 wrote:I will be happy to take them off your hands if you don't want them?? PM me.

I'm going to keep them because they're young, but I'd be willing to part with one if you'd like to have one to try.

tytiger58

neilfindswine wrote:So much for "no wine Wednesday".

Really?!? your going down that road again..o.k. what is no wine Wednesday?

klezman

tytiger58 wrote:Really?!? your going down that road again..o.k. what is no wine Wednesday?

Seems pretty self-explanatory
(unless it means no wine left behind...)

2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

tytiger58

loveladyelectric wrote:I'm going to keep them because they're young, but I'd be willing to part with one if you'd like to have one to try.

That's o.k. tried them, loved them and have more. But I really don't think you should waste your time holding onto them. Just sell them to me

jmdavidson

quality posts: 57 Private Messages jmdavidson
tytiger58 wrote:Really?!? your going down that road again..o.k. what is no wine Wednesday?

Goes along with Neil's no wine Monday. Surprised he missed no wine Tuesday in the sequence. Neil?

rjquillin

SWMBO returned from TX and we're finishing off the 2011 Wellington Sonoma Valley Sauvignon Blanc I opened a couple days ago.
She approves, so do I. Club shipment I'd never have purchased otherwise, now I want more.
From PW's site We again included small amounts of old vine Semillon and Muscadelle de Bordelais, Sauvignon blanc’s traditional partners in Bordeaux. We also included a small amount of Viognier. We tank fermented a portion to maximize freshness and barrel fermented a portion for added richness and texture. The Semillon and Muscadelle add notes of fig and passionfruit, while the Viognier accents the peach and floral aspects of Sauvignon blanc.
This only costs more $$ when this happens and SWMBO likes it.

CT

bsevern

quality posts: 109 Private Messages bsevern

2003 Rusack Pinot Noir Reserve Sta. Rita Hills Fiddlestix Vineyard.

klezman

1999 Berberana Vina Alarde Rioja Reserva from woot. Wish I had a case.

trifecta

quality posts: 72 Private Messages trifecta
bsevern wrote:2003 Rusack Pinot Noir Reserve Sta. Rita Hills Fiddlestix Vineyard.

Mmmmm.... Fiddlestix Pinot

tytiger58

klezman wrote:1999 Berberana Vina Alarde Rioja Reserva from woot. Wish I had a case.

Hmmm wish I had a bottle debated and never pulled the trigger.

jawlz

quality posts: 12 Private Messages jawlz

In honor of my 30th, we opened a 1983 La Jota Cabernet last night. It was in remarkably good shape - had I not known, I wouldn't have guessed it was any older than 8; although the bouquet was really outstanding and indicative of some age, the color wasn't faded and the taste was still full of life. Was a good night.

kylemittskus

2007 Peter Wellington Merlot

loveladyelectric

quality posts: 23 Private Messages loveladyelectric
tytiger58 wrote:That's o.k. tried them, loved them and have more. But I really don't think you should waste your time holding onto them. Just sell them to me

Do you have any of the Halcon syrah that you love less? I'd gladly trade for the syrah.

kylemittskus

loveladyelectric wrote:Do you have any of the Halcon syrah that you love less? I'd gladly trade for the syrah.

I still have a bottle for you and $10 for the two whites. The next gathering thread is posted.

tdedek

quality posts: 4 Private Messages tdedek

2012 Domaine de Triennes Vin de Pays du Var Rose

2006 Winter's Hill Vineyard Pinot Noir Dundee Hills

bsevern

trifecta wrote:Mmmmm.... Fiddlestix Pinot

This was really good, have the second half of the bottle to polish off tonight, hopefully it holds up.

tdedek

quality posts: 4 Private Messages tdedek
jawlz wrote:In honor of my 30th, we opened a 1983 La Jota Cabernet last night. It was in remarkably good shape - had I not known, I wouldn't have guessed it was any older than 8; although the bouquet was really outstanding and indicative of some age, the color wasn't faded and the taste was still full of life. Was a good night.

Thanks for the note, we share birth years. Always looking for something interesting to pick up. Happy belated!

tytiger58

2007 Eastburn Vineyards Pinot Noir Single Block

With a proper food pairing this time, grilled Salmon

losthighwayz

quality posts: 59 Private Messages losthighwayz

2010 Plush Pinot Noir

"The older I get the better I was"

chipgreen

quality posts: 186 Private Messages chipgreen

2009 Swami Pinot Noir. It must be Pinot Noir Night.

jmdavidson

quality posts: 57 Private Messages jmdavidson

Bodegas Paso Robles 2011 Albariño to go with talapia and mango salsa.

rjquillin

Another warm SoCal day

Foppiano 2010 Russian River Valley Estate Sauvignon Blanc

Acquired on the rpm trip.

CT

neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

'05 Cougar Crest Stellar Syrah

cortot20

quality posts: 137 Private Messages cortot20

09' Georgetown rouge Grenache with BBQ chicken and roasted corn.

CT

neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

How are those Pinots drinking?

chipgreen

quality posts: 186 Private Messages chipgreen
neilfindswine wrote:How are those Pinots drinking?

Swami PN was very good, 'bout time I got around to trying it! I wish the guy from GunBun would produce another round of Swami and Rockus Bockus. Good wines, great labels, excellent QPR.

tytiger58

neilfindswine wrote:How are those Pinots drinking?

I must say I was worried on the PNP, first pour and the nose was pure grape juice like welch's and the mouthfeel was heavy and flat. Walked away from it for a few hours and it was a different wine, nice nose cherry and mushroom/fruit and a great spine of acid pretty nicely balanced.

North316

chipgreen wrote:Swami PN was very good, 'bout time I got around to trying it! I wish the guy from GunBun would produce another round of Swami and Rockus Bockus. Good wines, great labels, excellent QPR.

I know they are still making the Rockus Bockus, just not enough to offer it on woot.

My CT

bsevern

bsevern wrote:2003 Rusack Pinot Noir Reserve Sta. Rita Hills Fiddlestix Vineyard.

I haven't had a lot of experience with Sta. Rita Hills area pinots, but this was a nicely aged one.

I made some tasting notes on it:

This has aged well. Nose of dark fruit, hints of strawberries, earth, bit of spice. On the palate it exhibited flavors of black cherries, dark fruit, and hints of baking spice. The tannins are resolved, medium finish. I don't believe this will get any better, but if you like aged Pinot's this is in a nice place now. It paired well with homemade beef bourguignon.

bsevern

chipgreen wrote:Swami PN was very good, 'bout time I got around to trying it! I wish the guy from GunBun would produce another round of Swami and Rockus Bockus. Good wines, great labels, excellent QPR.

I've yet to try the Swami and Rockus, although I have several bottles. Do you feel these are more drink now, or am I OK to cellar them for a while?