UBlink

quality posts: 18 Private Messages UBlink

2004 Astrale e Terra Estate Syrah. Amazed at the fruit that is still there. Es bueno.

Following the eight word profile, political economy in eight words:
Ain't no free lunch - them what has gets.

moondigger

quality posts: 11 Private Messages moondigger

2010 Project Paso Red Blend. I'm making some notes in case it ends up being offered here on woot. (It might well be.)

Just opened it, bottle a little bit warmer than proper serving temperature. Nonetheless I can say already that I like it more than I liked the Project Paso Sauvignon Blanc.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus
cortot20 wrote:Thoughts? I had the robert hall rose de robles which is the same price from TJ's and thought it wasn't great. Maybe im just spoiled.

Going back for 3+ more. Drinks at twice its price. French-style (duh! it is French). Completely dry, could use a bit more acid but nice, a hint of tannin at the end. Watermelon jolly rancher, strawberry, and almost a vegetal/methol thing. Easy buy for $6, IMO.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

neilfindswine

quality posts: 170 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

...so much for "no wine Mondays".

'11 Wertzberger McDowell Valley/Mendocino Grenache.

(Bill Wertzberger is the interesting fellow who assistant winemakes Dan Teldeschi's wines).

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

tytiger58

quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58
neilfindswine wrote:...so much for "no wine Mondays".

'11 Wertzberger McDowell Valley/Mendocino Grenache.

(Bill Wertzberger is the interesting fellow who assistant winemakes Dan Teldeschi's wines).

Never heard of no wine Monday??

2011 Ceritas Costalina pinot.

Started singing in hour 3

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

tytiger58 wrote:Never heard of no wine Monday??

Yeah, it's quickly joined the ranks of unicorns, leprechauns, sasquatch and the tooth fairy; rumors abound but doesn't seem to really exist. Maybe next Monday.

jmdavidson

quality posts: 57 Private Messages jmdavidson
neilfindswine wrote:...so much for "no wine Mondays".

We open a bottle every night. We're just trying to support the wine industry and seem to be succeeding.
Tonight: 2005 White Rock Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon Laureate

neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

jmdavidson wrote:We open a bottle every night. We're just trying to support the wine industry and seem to be succeeding.

...the wine industry is most appreciative... at least in my office. Sadly, my better half doesn't partake, so I sometimes struggle with opening a bottle on a early weeknight. And I'm trying to slim down with swimsuit weather around the corner. Apparently wine contains 'empty calories'.

I may have to go 'retro' this swim season

rjquillin

quality posts: 174 Private Messages rjquillin
neilfindswine wrote:...the wine industry is most appreciative... at least in my office. Sadly, my better half doesn't partake, so I sometimes struggle with opening a bottle on a early weeknight. And I'm trying to slim down with swimsuit weather around the corner. Apparently wine contains 'empty calories'.

I may have to go 'retro' this swim season

Vertical strips will do more good then.

CT

neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

rjquillin wrote:Vertical strips will do more good then.

point taken.

tytiger58

quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58
jmdavidson wrote:We open a bottle every night. We're just trying to support the wine industry and seem to be succeeding.
Tonight: 2005 White Rock Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon Laureate

Not to mention your keeping the economy rolling and people working..well done!

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

chipgreen

quality posts: 190 Private Messages chipgreen

2008 Pacific Wine Works Gewurztraminer

redwinefan

quality posts: 74 Private Messages redwinefan
neilfindswine wrote:. Apparently wine contains 'empty calories'.

Eat less food, drink more wine. Problem solved.

I'm drinking a 2008 Tercero Cuvee Loco tonight.

"You need to invest in a corkscrew. Wine is for drinking." -- Peter Wellington

cortot20

quality posts: 145 Private Messages cortot20
kylemittskus wrote:Going back for 3+ more. Drinks at twice its price. French-style (duh! it is French). Completely dry, could use a bit more acid but nice, a hint of tannin at the end. Watermelon jolly rancher, strawberry, and almost a vegetal/methol thing. Easy buy for $6, IMO.

I'll have to check it out. I saw it in the store a week or two ago and I was wary at that price point.

CT

bsevern

quality posts: 109 Private Messages bsevern

2004 Château d'Arricau-Bordes - Madiran.

Very interesting, big wine, lots of juicy tannins, dark fruit, well balanced, mostly made from the tannat grape.

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg
UBlink wrote:2004 Astrale e Terra Estate Syrah. Amazed at the fruit that is still there. Es bueno.

Scott sure does great things with mountain fruit. Sadly, that association is likely about to end, as I understand the property is for sale. If I could afford the reputed $7M price tag, I'd but it and turn over every aspect of the winemaking to him.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

loveladyelectric

quality posts: 23 Private Messages loveladyelectric

I'm going to try one of the four 2011 Halcon Esquisto GSM that I bought from LB. Hopefully they're drinking good already.

kylemittskus

loveladyelectric wrote:I'm going to try one of the four 2011 Halcon Esquisto GSM that I bought from LB. Hopefully they're drinking good already.

Please post notes. I won't open mine for a couple years, but I want to know what I'm getting.

tdedek

quality posts: 4 Private Messages tdedek

Finally getting some spring weather...

2012 Domaine de Triennes Vin de Pays du Var Rosé

moondigger

quality posts: 11 Private Messages moondigger

2010 Project Paso Red Blend (Day 2)

kylemittskus

2009 Rock Wall Wine Co. Zin Sonoma County (thanks to tyger)

jmdavidson

kylemittskus wrote:2009 Rock Wall Wine Co. Zin Sonoma County (thanks to tyger)

Any tasting notes?

kylemittskus

jmdavidson wrote:Any tasting notes?

Quite sweet for my palate. Red fruits, pepper, mild tannin. It's actually very similar to SH's Old Vine Zin except even more sweet on the palate.

jmdavidson

kylemittskus wrote:Quite sweet for my palate. Red fruits, pepper, mild tannin. It's actually very similar to SH's Old Vine Zin except even more sweet on the palate.

Thanks.

rjquillin

quality posts: 174 Private Messages rjquillin

2011 Wellington Sonoma Valley Sauvignon Blanc
and still working on that
2001 Ty Merlot
Ar rules, this hasn't changed a bit since I pulled the cork weeks ago.

CT

UBlink

quality posts: 18 Private Messages UBlink

Buena Vista 2011 Carneros Pinot Gris. Nice pairing with some spicy Thai.

Following the eight word profile, political economy in eight words:
Ain't no free lunch - them what has gets.

neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

'11 Sojourn Cellars Campbell Ranch Pinot

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon

2007 McLean Syrah

Still love this stuff. So different. Such a great acidity, meatiness, and coffee

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

chemvictim

quality posts: 3 Private Messages chemvictim

Oppressive budget and cheapass wine...year...continues. Fetzer cabernet, pleasant enough, don't judge me.

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon
chemvictim wrote:Oppressive budget and cheapass wine...year...continues. Fetzer cabernet, pleasant enough, don't judge me.

May we feel sorry for you? Actually Fetzer makes a perfectly palatable Gewürztraminer. Never tried their cab.

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

klezman

quality posts: 123 Private Messages klezman
neilfindswine wrote:'11 Sojourn Cellars Campbell Ranch Pinot

A little on the young side? Or are these wines meant for early drinking? I got a couple Sojourns during Berserker Day...

2014: 32 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Jana Cathedral 3 L
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

kylemittskus

klezman wrote:A little on the young side? Or are these wines meant for early drinking? I got a couple Sojourns during Berserker Day...

Young but likely drinking nicely. Hoping this is a clue as to what's to come... but hopefully they come in a few weeks.

chemvictim

cmaldoon wrote:May we feel sorry for you? Actually Fetzer makes a perfectly palatable Gewürztraminer. Never tried their cab.

I used to love the Gewurtz but lately I'm finding it too sweet. I don't know if the wine changed or I did.

My grocery store adventures lately have given me some decent $5 wines - I liked the Gnarly Head merlot and Mondavi cab, but then I'm not a big cab drinker so I'm not evaluating it by any sort of cabernet standard. What I'm looking for is an inoffensive table wine for every day, and it's working out okay.

I'm still happy about the $3.50 Chandon sparklers I got the other day. Not my favorite California sparklers but again, not offensive.

chemvictim

oops

tdedek

quality posts: 4 Private Messages tdedek
kylemittskus wrote:Young but likely drinking nicely. Hoping this is a clue as to what's to come... but hopefully they come in a few weeks.

Would be great to have them here...

bsevern

quality posts: 109 Private Messages bsevern
neilfindswine wrote:'11 Sojourn Cellars Campbell Ranch Pinot

Never had a Sojourn that I can recall, how was this???

neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

bsevern wrote:Never had a Sojourn that I can recall, how was this???

Nice wine (admittedly, I'm a fan of their wines and a friend of the proprietors and winemakers). Young, vibrant wine. Lots of fruit, good acidity and like all of their wines, nice texture/mouthfeel.

Again, a young one, but it was a nice, 'drink now' pinot. Some of their other offerings- Gaps Crown Vineyard, Sangiacomo and Rogers Creek are the more age-able ones, IMHO.

kylemittskus

neilfindswine wrote:Nice wine (admittedly, I'm a fan of their wines and a friend of the proprietors and winemakers). Young, vibrant wine. Lots of fruit, good acidity and like all of their wines, nice texture/mouthfeel.

Again, a young one, but it was a nice, 'drink now' pinot. Some of their other offerings- Gaps Crown Vineyard, Sangiacomo and Rogers Creek are the more age-able ones, IMHO.

Time to start pushing those friendships... get 'em on wine.woot!!!

redwinefan

quality posts: 74 Private Messages redwinefan
neilfindswine wrote:Nice wine (admittedly, I'm a fan of their wines and a friend of the proprietors and winemakers). Young, vibrant wine. Lots of fruit, good acidity and like all of their wines, nice texture/mouthfeel.

Sojourn is great juice. Can't wait to crack into the bottles I got from them during Beserker Day.

"You need to invest in a corkscrew. Wine is for drinking." -- Peter Wellington

loveladyelectric

quality posts: 23 Private Messages loveladyelectric
kylemittskus wrote:Please post notes. I won't open mine for a couple years, but I want to know what I'm getting.

It was good, but I wasn't crazy about it. I loved the 2010 Halcon syrah, and this definitely had similar characteristics, but the fruit was more closed off. It had a great wet stone minerality that I get from the syrah, but the mourvedre and grenache had little to add.

All this being said, I prefer grenache and syrah single varietal wines over GSM blends 90% of the time.