jeeperwoot

quality posts: 29 Private Messages jeeperwoot

InZin 2009

rjquillin

quality posts: 174 Private Messages rjquillin

N.V. South Coast (Temecula Valley) Winery Syrah Berenda Road.

Just wanted some red to go with a simple supper of tamale, beef cheese and cilantro quesadillas, black beans and guacamole.

This really surprised. Had expected very little for a World Market gift wine that totally over delivered.

CT

klezman

quality posts: 123 Private Messages klezman

From LA Wine Company, 90+ Cellars Russian River Pinot. If you like the "standard" RRV style, then this is a steal at $15.

2014: 32 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Jana Cathedral 3 L
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

ajrod27

quality posts: 41 Private Messages ajrod27

2008 Inspiration Vineyards Zinfandel

trifecta

quality posts: 72 Private Messages trifecta
ajrod27 wrote:2008 Inspiration Vineyards Zinfandel

Awesome?

ajrod27

trifecta wrote:Awesome?

You couldn't tell from my CT notes? In case you didn't see them...

2008 Inspiration Vineyards Zinfandel

Another excellent wine by Jon! Pale, ruby color. Medium color concentration (light for a Zin). Big nose of fresh picked strawberry, raspberry and blackberry, a cinnamon spice note as well as hints of tobacco and earth. There is some heat on the PnP, but it blew off within a few minutes in the glass. Very fresh acidity on the palate! Raspberry and blackberry carry over to the mid-palate and a licorice note is peaking through, cocoa on the finish. Medium tannin. Overall an excellent wine!

ajrod27

Tonight:
2006 Ardente Estate Winery Cabernet Sauvignon Grande Riserva

Notes are, here,in the Woot Plus discussion!

kylemittskus

quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus

2002 Victor Hugo "The Hunchback"

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

tytiger58

quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58

2008 Papapietro Perry Elsbree Pinot Noir Russian River

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

cortot20

quality posts: 145 Private Messages cortot20

The one the only the duke.

CT

losthighwayz

quality posts: 59 Private Messages losthighwayz

so be it Pinot. Great QPR. Getting better as it opens up....wish I had ordered more...

"The older I get the better I was"

rjquillin

With the recent Kunde talk, a 2007 Zin with Italian style sauce over some kind of tube-like pasta, could be penne. Worked well.

CT

jmdavidson

quality posts: 57 Private Messages jmdavidson

2008 Bacio Divino Pazzo, really nice Cali Sangio blend.

tdedek

quality posts: 4 Private Messages tdedek

2011 Apsara Cellars Syrah Las Madres Vineyard

fredrinaldi

quality posts: 35 Private Messages fredrinaldi

Picked up a nice Cab at Ralph's last weekend, Carnivior $8.50 when you purchase 6 bottles of wine, suprising wine, anyone else try it?

kylemittskus

2005 R. Merlo Estate Vineyards Syrah
2007 R. Merlo Estate Vineyards Syrah

cortot20

kylemittskus wrote:2005 R. Merlo Estate Vineyards Syrah

Thoughts? I was pretty tempted by those.

CT

cortot20

Wife opened an 09' Martian Grenache blanc last night. Finishing that tonight.

CT

tytiger58

2005 Peachy Canyon Petite Sirah really nice bottle. My first Cindy purchase after Kyle sent me over there for some Amarone

fredrinaldi

kylemittskus wrote:2005 R. Merlo Estate Vineyards Syrah

Might try to make the get together in Lakewood in May, we'll see

tytiger58

fredrinaldi wrote:Might try to make the get together in Lakewood in May, we'll see

Guess we will have to bring cabs

cortot20

I thought we were all brining uncooked pasta.

CT

losthighwayz

cortot20 wrote:Wife opened an 09' Martian Grenache blanc last night. Finishing that tonight.

How was it? I was really close to caving

otolith

quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith

Happened across a bottle of wine...will post some notes tomorrow. Was going to try to stay up, but just can't do it. Fightin' to stay awake. Man, when did I get old?

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

kylemittskus

cortot20 wrote:Thoughts? I was pretty tempted by those.

05 drained. 07 almost untouched. There were 4 of us drinking them. The 07 seemed like it had some RS, although I doubt that's the case.

cortot20

losthighwayz wrote:How was it? I was really close to caving

Nice fruit but heavier mouth feel then I expected. 2nd day it ad more Carmel notes which was strange but seemed fitting. Probably would not reorder.

CT

tytiger58

kylemittskus wrote:05 drained. 07 almost untouched. There were 4 of us drinking them. The 07 seemed like it had some RS, although I doubt that's the case.

The 07 was quite a bit heaver IIRC

klezman

quality posts: 123 Private Messages klezman

End of Twisted Oak 2006 Tempranillo - not as earthy as I recall from the 05. Tasty nonetheless.

Now on to a Wellington 2003 Old Vines Port. Yum.

2014: 32 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Jana Cathedral 3 L
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 183 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

Port Tasting with JavaDrinker & CoffeeMate.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

tytiger58

MarkDaSpark wrote:Port Tasting with JavaDrinker & CoffeeMate.

So from getting to know you from 2 different gatherings I have to ask how MANY ports and which ones??

rjquillin

MarkDaSpark wrote:Port Tasting with JavaDrinker & CoffeeMate.

And why is it those two generally seem unable to attend with the rest of us? Is it something I/we did?

CT

fredrinaldi

Pizza dough rising, Ardente "97" decanted, bring on Sat. night

tytiger58

2008 Benenti Barbera d'Alba

Nice fruit lively acid and gritty tannin real nice bottle with pizza.

neilfindswine

quality posts: 170 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

...earlier- 09 Arizona Stronghold Dayden Rose- honestly, a solid springtime afternoon sipper.

Now- 08 Deep Sea White Hawk Syrah- thick and rich and a little smokey. g'night Sonoma.

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

InFrom

quality posts: 31 Private Messages InFrom

2009 Hunt Country Estate Bottled Vignoles. Apple-y & a little sweet, a perfect foil for Halal chicken right off the truck, with hot sauce & white sauce (is that a NYC thing, or are Halal chicken trucks also a fixture in other fair cities?) Made me sad that there's no Vignoles in the 6-pack that I bought off Plus last week (and which supposedly FedEx was going to deliver to my office today -- not that the building is even open on Saturdays.)

Enjoying it in some nice stemless, Polish crystal glasses we picked up this afternoon at a one-day sale in Macy's, for a mere $12.97 for 4. Very nice and lightweight, easy to hold onto. And to make it a perfect Boomers' evening, watching concerts of NJ on TV -- first Springsteen, now Bon Jovi. What fun for us elderly folks!

InFrom

quality posts: 31 Private Messages InFrom
otolith wrote:Happened across a bottle of wine...will post some notes tomorrow. Was going to try to stay up, but just can't do it. Fightin' to stay awake. Man, when did I get old?

So? What and how was it?

losthighwayz

2007 Geyser Peak Block Collection Petit Verdot with wife....parents both loved the Tasi Merlot...win-win PLUS a surprise SB from Ukiah, CA

otolith

quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith
InFrom wrote:So? What and how was it?

otolith wrote:I happened across a bottle of the 2007 August Ridge Nebbiolo, and blindly tasted this last night.

On initial pop and pour from cellar temp (56) and sitting in the glass for 15 minutes:
Pale red, orange color, very light, clear. I must admit this really worried me. I also immediately went to "Italian Red," and started wondering if this would be from California or Italy.

Nose: bright fruit, sorry cherry/raspberry, slight petrol/rubber on extra swirling, maybe some cedar as well. Long legs in the glass.

Palate: bright, acidic, fresh with tart/sour cherry, cedar. Mildly astringent tannins, light-medium body, medium finish. I don't taste alcohol, and feel that this is a nicely balanced wine. Pleasantly surprised as I didn't have high hopes for it when I first poured it into the glass.

Overall impression, nicely balanced, fresh, lively wine. Reminds me of a Barolo/lighter Italian red of some sort.

We were eating Black Sheep Pizza with this, and it paired perfectly. Their pizza sauce is lighter, more acidic, and not a big, bold sauce. They really went well with one another.

1.5 hrs later:
Nose is similar, but has lost some of the brightness/freshness. Doesn't seem as tart. Similar nose of cherry/raspberry and cedar, maybe a little leather.

Palate is similar, the fruit is present, but not as tart as prior. Nicely balanced and integrated tannins, some spiciness. Lighter body with moderate finish.

About 3 hours later:

Nose has changed quite a bit. It is more muted, the fruit is in the background, but there are more spicy, pepper, and leather notes that lead the way.

Palate has also similarly changed. Tannins seem more astringent to me. Fruits have given way to pepper, leather, cedar. Similar mouth feel and finish. Seems to be tiring out a little.

Overall, I was left feeling that this is drinking well right now, and should drink well this summer and over the next 1-2 years (would be curious what the winemaker thinks of this).

At this point, I did the reveal, and was glad to see a Nebbiolo. I must admit that I am not a huge fan of Italian grape varieties that are grown in the US (exception being Vino Noceto), so was pleasantly surprised that I liked this. Reading the back of the bottle, I see they recommend pairing with grilled salmon or pork. I could see salmon on PnP, and pork ribs after decanting, as long as the ribs aren't smothered in bbq sauce, as I think that would overpower the wine.

SWMBO and the GI (German Intern) living with us both liked it. I'll see if I can get them to post their notes as well. Although I believe they both liked it earlier in the life cycle than later.

Sorry, didn't realize I was being that cryptic.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

cortot20

10' Chance Creek SB

CT

losthighwayz

2011 Buttonwood Grenache Blanc with multi grain baguette, havarti cheese, avocado, Ferrarini mortadella, olives medley, grapes and Esperanza Spalding to sooth it all out....