rjquillin

quality posts: 170 Private Messages rjquillin

With a leek, chicken and pasta clear broth based soup,
a Greek white from Santorini Estate Argyros Santorini Atlantis 2011 comprised of

• 90% Assyrtiko
  • 5% Athiri
  • 5% Aidani
that we sampled at the aged Zin tasting that showed pretty badly. Actually much better when properly chilled.

CT

tytiger58

quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58
rjquillin wrote:With a leek, chicken and pasta clear broth based soup,
a Greek white from Santorini Estate Argyros Santorini Atlantis 2011 comprised of
  • 90% Assyrtiko
  • 5% Athiri
  • 5% Aidani
that we sampled at the aged Zin tasting that showed pretty badly. Actually much better when properly chilled.

Good to hear...IIRC I thought it was offensive to say the least

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

rjquillin

quality posts: 170 Private Messages rjquillin
tytiger58 wrote:Good to hear...IIRC I thought it was offensive to say the least

Moscato drinking SWMBO even liked it. Not sure exactly what that says for her, or me for that matter, but it was much better chilled, and regained the properties we so disliked when again warm.
Exactly the reverse of bad sake.

CT

chipgreen

quality posts: 180 Private Messages chipgreen

I had some Greek Retsina wine a few months ago and it was horrible. I guess they add pine resin to the must during fermentation, giving it its "unique" flavor. Must be an acquired taste.

tytiger58

2010 Fulcrum PN Brosseau Vineyard

jmdavidson

quality posts: 54 Private Messages jmdavidson

2009 Pelissero Piani Barbera D'Alba.

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon

cmaldoon wrote:Treating four friends of mine ( and my +1) to a very nice dinner at a local tapas place.

Wines:
2009 Iron Horse Unoaked Chardonnay
1986 Raymond Private reserve Cabernet Sauvignon, Napa
2006 San Román Tempranillo, Toro
2005 Paeonia late harvest Pinot Blanc

I wanted to update how this dinner went:

With the Ironhorse Chardonnay We had:
Blistered Shishito peppers with sea salt
An absolutely fantastic Ahi Poke
Spanish anchovies (big ones) over large white beans

The Chardonnay matched everything very well and was the solid wine we all know it to be

With the Raymond Cabernet we had:
Crab "tater tots"
Bacon wrapped dates
Pulled pork empanadas

This Raymond was singing. The nose was more oaky than any of the other Raymonds I have had but they weren’t very oaky to begin with. The palate was as smooth as silk and the fruit was still very much there in this 26 year old wine. I haven't had a bad bottle of this stuff but this was certainly the best one I've had.

With the San Román we had:
Catfish smothered in a brandy-mushroom-cream sauce (this sauce is lick your plate good)
Hawaiian Marinted Flank steak with Portobello mushrooms on top.

I would have had this wine 2nd but I know that the longer it has to open the better it will be so I had it decanted right when we arrived and had it last. It was roundly enjoyed by all but only half as much as the catfish (drools)

With the Paeonia Late harvest we had:
Coconut Flan
Chocolate figs

The flan was perfectly smooth and the coconut flavor was neither mild nor in your face.
The figs though....these figs are grown in Spain and picked at peak ripeness. Some guy then takes a knife, slices into the side, scoops out a bit of flesh and injects a brandy infused ganache. The fig is then dipped in dark chocolate and Voila! The Paeonia matched the richness of this perfectly.

Fantastic evening with friends. I look forward to doing it again next year!

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

klezman

quality posts: 119 Private Messages klezman

2001 Sawyer Rutherford Cab. Drinking nicely and goes well with 5-spice pan roasted pork loin.

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

jmdavidson

2007 Conte di Bregonzo Amarone della Valpolicella from TJ's a few years ago at $16. Decent wine, decent price and it went very well with BBQ'd pork ribs.

cortot20

quality posts: 132 Private Messages cortot20
jmdavidson wrote:2007 Conte di Bregonzo Amarone della Valpolicella from TJ's a few years ago at $16. Decent wine, decent price and it went very well with BBQ'd pork ribs.

Good to know, I was curious about that one, especially at that price.

CT

jmdavidson

cortot20 wrote:Good to know, I was curious about that one, especially at that price.

I had the 2006 about a year ago and it was tastier, but you can't find that year anymore at TJ's.

Tonight...2005 Coniglio, Spring Mountain District, Cabernet Sauvignon

cortot20

Was going to open something tonight but I got a bottle from a friend that would better for tomorrow night. So maybe something out of the summer Sam Adams pack.

CT

bsevern

quality posts: 109 Private Messages bsevern
jmdavidson wrote:I had the 2006 about a year ago and it was tastier, but you can't find that year anymore at TJ's.

Tonight...2005 Coniglio, Spring Mountain District, Cabernet Sauvignon

Let us know what you think of the Coniglio, 2005 Spring Mountain should be great.

I picked up some of the 2005 Coniglio from Spring Mountain and Oakville, but the recent CT notes have me a bit concerned.

chipgreen

2009 Sextant Wines Cabernet Sauvignon

Have seen comments both on CT and WW about secondary fermentation with this vintage (but not the 2010 which was sold more recently on WW). This is made by the same people who brought us the "Not bad fizzy Cab" of the same vintage and appellation. On PnP I could only detect the slightest trace of secondary fermentation, in the form of about a dozen individual tiny bubbles on the surface.

Enjoyable mid-week Cab, fruit-forward with some creamy oak, medium body & tannins. Great QPR at ~ $11/bottle.

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316

Had some of the 2009 Vino Noceto Sangiovese with grilled boneless chicken thighs and BBQ sauce. People weren't kidding, this stuff is fantastic. Some of the best QPR I have had in quite some time.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus

2008 Kent Rasmussen Esoterica Vermelho Forte

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

losthighwayz

quality posts: 58 Private Messages losthighwayz
tytiger58 wrote:2010 Fulcrum PN Brosseau Vineyard

What did you think? It was on CW last night and was so close but the lack of reviews anywhere kept me at bay. However, I have a gut feeling this wine is a winner.

"The older I get the better I was"

funbunny

quality posts: 25 Private Messages funbunny

2008 Inspiration Vineyards Zinfandel

Served it tonight before I procured a fleet on Monday. Hubby's unprovoked response - "this is some good sh!+. When I told him about Monday's deal, it turned into really good sh!+ and was advised to "stock up". Ahhh...female manipulation hard at work.

"Wine is sunshine held together by water" - Galileo Galilei

losthighwayz

funbunny wrote:2008 Inspiration Vineyards Zinfandel

Served it tonight before I procured a fleet on Monday. Hubby's unprovoked response - "this is some good sh!+. When I told him about Monday's deal, it turned into really good sh!+ and was advised to "stock up". Ahhh...female manipulation hard at work.

Do u work for inspiration? on a serious note, any tasting notes on the wine? I've purchased the mixed inspiration before but can't recall which I enjoyed best thanks

funbunny

quality posts: 25 Private Messages funbunny
losthighwayz wrote:Do u work for inspiration? on a serious note, any tasting notes on the wine? I've purchased the mixed inspiration before but can't recall which I enjoyed best thanks

I don't work for them, just enjoy Jon's Zin. I met Jon in Chicago at a wine shop and he is really a great guy and makes great wine.

The 08 zin is full of raspberry, strawberry and I feel a little black cherry in the middle to richen it up. I like zin with some spice to it, I'm not one for an overly fruity zin and this has just the right amount of black pepper and even a little touch of fennel seed in my opinion to give it a little zing and savoriness. It still had a bit of alcohol heat when just opened but a few swirls of the glass seemed to smooth it out. A great food wine.

I'm bad at taking wine notes, especially on a dinner and movie night so I hope this helps.

"Wine is sunshine held together by water" - Galileo Galilei

trifecta

quality posts: 69 Private Messages trifecta

1994 Teldeschi Petite Sirah:
Wow. Full notes will be in CT in the next day or two, but wow. This one is drinking beautifully and shows no signs of fading anytime soon. Just getting more complex the longer it is open. Dan is the man!

2004 Twisted Oak Tanner Vineyard Syrah:
Nose had a lot of funk on PnP. Palate a bit disjointed. Both issues resolved with time and the wine went much better with food (BBQ chicken, smashed yams, and roasted golden beets). Very happy with the QPR as SWMBO really enjoyed it. I wasn't mad at it.

cmaldoon

2010 Pruett vineyards lucky Lauren red.

Originally tasted this one at a restaurant when our very friendly server brought us this to taste along side silver oak Alexander valley. This one blew it away.

The oddest but very deep palate of navel orange and blood orange and sweet cherry. Hints of oak layer the back end and the wine very slowly fades into candied orange peel on the finish.

My Cellar

bsevern

quality posts: 109 Private Messages bsevern

2006 Jake Ryan Cellars Bald Mtn Vineyard, Mt. Veeder, Napa Valley Zinfandel

Grocery Outlet.... $4.99, and darn good! Talk about a flyer! Never heard of Jake Ryan Cellars in my life, but Napa Valley, Mt Veeder, single vineyard....seemed like a no brainer

tytiger58

2008 Virage Vineyards Bordeaux blend.

Mostly Cab Franc and singing right now.

kylemittskus

I'm in Chicago. I'm a mess. Finishing the night with 2006 Lance and Windmill (Quixote) PS.

jmdavidson

kylemittskus wrote:I'm in Chicago. I'm a mess. Finishing the night with 2006 Lance and Windmill (Quixote) PS.

Besides the weather being so c-r-a-p-p-y here, why are you "a mess"? I've had the '07 PS, which is really a great deal. How is the '06?

tytiger58

kylemittskus wrote:I'm in Chicago. I'm a mess. Finishing the night with 2006 Lance and Windmill (Quixote) PS.

Traveling with the baby??

Go to a cubs game and drink beer, make you feel better

chipgreen

tytiger58 wrote:Traveling with the baby??

Go to a cubs game and drink beer, make you feel better

...with a stop at Mama Leona's after the game for lasagna and jug wine.

tytiger58

I'm taking Neil's advice... it's 3:25 and i'm popping a 2008 Vino Noceto Sangiovese Riserva mmmm just what the doctor ordered

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22

Enjoying a 2006 Wellington Zinfandel. Opened with some chicken with BBQ sauce during the Masters. And now just sipping.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

losthighwayz

2012Robert Hall Rose de Robles I picked up along with a 2012 Tribunal Red blend from TJs. The latter $9.99 and former $5.99. Great QPR on both!

cmaldoon

2009 Sequoia Grove Cabernet. Very tasty and solid at $30-$35

Palate of blueberries on the entrance , a chivey green acidic note, declining through blackberry to a coffee note on the finish. Lots of drying tannins (which I enjoy)

My Cellar

neilfindswine

quality posts: 168 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

'05 Ridge Santa Cruz Mtns Chardonnay.

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

losthighwayz

losthighwayz wrote:2012Robert Hall Rose de Robles I picked up along with a 2012 Tribunal Red blend from TJs. The latter $9.99 and former $5.99. Great QPR on both!

Still stand by the RH QPR and will stock up this week. However, the Tribunal was good, not great. Lacked acidity and did not evolve much and ended up a bit boring and flabby. Not bad but not likely to persuade me to get more except that wife enjoyed it which makes me think met people would enjoy this

tytiger58

losthighwayz wrote:What did you think? It was on CW last night and was so close but the lack of reviews anywhere kept me at bay. However, I have a gut feeling this wine is a winner.

I did like it, but it's painfully young..even for me...going to have to sit on the rest for a long time

cortot20

losthighwayz wrote:Still stand by the RH QPR and will stock up this week. However, the Tribunal was good, not great. Lacked acidity and did not evolve much and ended up a bit boring and flabby. Not bad but not likely to persuade me to get more except that wife enjoyed it which makes me think met people would enjoy this

Neither my wife nor I cared for the Robert Hall, we've been spoiled by the excellent roses that woot features from time to time.

CT

kylemittskus

2008 Tenuta Monteti Caburnio Toscana IGT

tytiger58

2009 Carlisle Zinfandel Carlisle Vineyard

losthighwayz

2008 Wellington Sonoma zin....with TJS lie chicken burgers and garlic fries....nice zin and awesome QPR

klezman

quality posts: 119 Private Messages klezman

2010 Baily Dry Riesling. 9.5% alcohol and a hell of an acidic bite. Not quite balanced but it has a serious apple main note.

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT