tytiger58

quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58
kylemittskus wrote:So I shouldn't open mine for at least 3 years?

Ha ha very funny...sounds about right

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

sukeiasa

quality posts: 7 Private Messages sukeiasa

09 tytanium... i think this is finally coming around the corners... picking up much more flavor than the first few times drinking it...

wine woot gatherings: manchego dinner, '11 cyber pub bottling, '12 cyber pub bottling, DMV #25, #26, #28, #29, #29.5, #30, NY #19, NY #20; socal #22

kylemittskus

quality posts: 233 Private Messages kylemittskus

Cava with wonton and noodle soup for dinner.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

cortot20

quality posts: 161 Private Messages cortot20

2012 trader joes vintage ale

CT

rjquillin

quality posts: 189 Private Messages rjquillin

2011 TJ's Petite Viognier with crab legs, kabocha soup, broiled asparagus, a baguette and Arroyo dipping oil.

CT

kylemittskus

cortot20 wrote:2012 trader joes vintage ale

Belgian, right?

cortot20

kylemittskus wrote:Belgian, right?

Not entirely sure, made in a brewery in Quebec and its a dark ale and its unlike any other beer I've had before.

CT

andreaserben

quality posts: 21 Private Messages andreaserben
cortot20 wrote:Not entirely sure, made in a brewery in Quebec and its a dark ale and its unlike any other beer I've had before.

Unibroue is the brewery.

kylemittskus

2011 Clayhouse Vineyard Estate Cuvée Blanc, Red Cedar Vineyard

moondigger

quality posts: 11 Private Messages moondigger

2010 Raised By Wolves Cabernet.

andreaserben

moondigger wrote:2010 Raised By Wolves Cabernet.

how do you like it - what do you compare it to?

klezman

quality posts: 130 Private Messages klezman

$4 kosher Spanish wine from TJ's. It tasted, at best, like $4 wine.

2014: 57 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2011 Wellington Cab & Merlot, Roessler 2009 Bluejay, 2010 Bell Cabernet
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

kylemittskus

2005 Thunderbolt Winery Mourvèdre

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon

2003 Wine Smith Chardonnay

Two hours after opening

Color: Straw, solidly hued, very good clarity

Nose: Not massive. Apples and lemon zest. A hint of Florality And a deeper note reminiscent of cider

Palate: a bit lacking on the entrance, Acid and minerality wrapping lemon rind comes through in the mid palate. The finish is long and palate cleansing like a bit of parsley Without being nearly as green.

Overall: I like the nose the best, the finish next, and I find myself wishing for quite a bit more concentration on the palate.

I wouldn't want to pay $20 or $30 for this wine but at the $16 I got for is perfectly serviceable. This is most certainly an old world style wine, it tastes very little like most common Chardonnays in California today.

That said, I recently found a pretty darn good chardonay for $12 from a winery called Double oak in Nevada County, CA. Aged 100 % on the lees, half in barels that get stirred, half in stainless, not stirred. malo kept down. Very good mid line between oaked and unoaked.

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

Winedavid39

quality posts: 214 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

Drinking ANOTHER vintage from Ardente. stay tuned.

cmaldoon

Winedavid39 wrote:Drinking ANOTHER vintage from Ardente. stay tuned.

Sweet Jesus, have you no shame, no feeling for our pocketbooks???

In for 3.

My Cellar

rjquillin

Winedavid39 wrote:Drinking ANOTHER vintage from Ardente. stay tuned.

Ahhh, that would be the 2004...

CT

cmaldoon

rjquillin wrote:Ahhh, that would be the 2004...

or the 98, 99, '00, 03, or (wishful thinking) the '05

but yes, I know he was actively looking for the 04

My Cellar

rjquillin

With all the talk about Cycles lately I figured I'd pull one to have with some leftover spaghetti with clams. A 2009 Merlot, $6 World Market purchase from back in 2011. Not bad at all, especially considering the price. PnP; simple but nice fruits and well balanced by some wood and tannins on the finish; 13.5% AbV. I've spent much more for far less.

CT

klezman

quality posts: 130 Private Messages klezman

Something I got from a friend - I'll tell you all about it another night. For now, I think you're all going to want some of this easy drinking, low alc bottle.

2014: 57 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2011 Wellington Cab & Merlot, Roessler 2009 Bluejay, 2010 Bell Cabernet
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

moondigger

andreaserben wrote:how do you like it - what do you compare it to?

[2010 Raised By Wolves Cabernet]

Sorry, I missed this before. I wrote down some tasting notes but don't have them with me now. Summary: The main aromas and flavors were dark fruits and cherry. Juicy, with moderate acidity and tannins. It actually held up well after being open 24 hours. (My wife and I had some on Tuesday night and the rest last night.)

It reminded me of other Washington State Cabs I've had, including some from Columbia Crest (though with less tannin than is typical for Columbia Crest). This makes some sense, I guess, because the 2010 RBW uses Columbia Valley grapes. (I never tried the 2009 RBW Cab, which was apparently very good/somewhat unusual but used grapes from Walla Walla Valley.)

kylemittskus

N.V. Moët and Chandon White Star with sushi.

The bottle was a gift for our engagement 3.5 years ago.

tytiger58

quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58

2007 Scott Harvey Zinfandel Vineyard 1869

Might as well start gettin prepped for Saturday night

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

otolith

quality posts: 24 Private Messages otolith

2010 Casas Patronales Reserva Privada Carmenere while looking out at the Gulf of Mexico. It is excellent.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

moondigger

2009 Winter's Hill Pinot Noir. I have some (lengthy) commentary about it, but not sure if it should be posted here or on the March 13 offer thread. (Part of my commentary is related to one of the questions raised on that thread, but it seems pretty dead now.)

rjquillin

moondigger wrote:2009 Winter's Hill Pinot Noir. I have some (lengthy) commentary about it, but not sure if it should be posted here or on the March 13 offer thread. (Part of my commentary is related to one of the questions raised on that thread, but it seems pretty dead now.)

Some of us frequently check back with the original thread(s) when drinking.
I for one store the link in my CT for later reference.

Why not post there and put the link to the post here?

CT

moondigger

I suppose here is as good a place as any.

(This is about the 2009 Winter's Hill Pinot Noir I'm drinking tonight.)

There were already detailed tasting notes posted on the March 13 offer thread, mostly consistent with what I'm tasting right now - especially bsevern's notes, for which my only minor disagreement is that I wouldn't have said my bottle has a "nice tartness." Not saying bsevern is wrong; I think I might be less sensitive to tartness than average, or alternatively I might just like acidity more than most. (I found this to be the case with the Vino Noceto Riserva Sangiovese as well -- I thought it had a pleasant tartness but no pucker, while my wife thought it had some pucker factor.)

The main reason I'm commenting, though, is to address the question from the earlier discussion about whether this Pinot is more Oregonian or Californian.

Pinot used to be my favorite varietal. But in the mid 2000s, when the cost of a decent Oregon Pinot rose beyond my budget, and when the least expensive Saintsbury Pinot ("Garnet") hit $20 a bottle at my local wine discounter, I gave up. I shifted my interests to Zin, Shiraz/Syrah and Cabs, for which decent bottles could be had for considerably less than a decent bottle of Pinot. And my preferences/palate changed to match.

So I was pretty curious about whether I would still find Pinot enjoyable, at this late date, for less than $15 a bottle.

With my first sample of the Winter's Hill, the memories came rushing back, and they screamed "Oregon" to me.

Imagining a number line with 20 points on it, quintessential California Pinot on the left at point 0 and quintessential Oregon Pinot on the right at point 20, I'd put this wine right around 16 or 17.

It's only after doing some critical analysis that I get what RPM was saying about it falling in between the two styles. Mine is a gut reaction to the overall experience -- bouquet, mid-palate, and finish, without much critical thought. The whole thing together says "Oregon" to me, even if upon further reflection there are a couple of aspects that don't quite fit the Oregonian mold.

Anyhow, it's clear that I still like Pinot quite a bit after several years away from it -- at least this Pinot. Maybe the next time I see a Carneros Pinot pop up here for a reasonable price, I'll bite, just for the sake of comparison.

EDIT: I was ready to post this, and now I have to backpedal a bit. Now that the bottle's been open for a couple hours, it's starting to shift left on my number line. Both the nose and the flavors seem less typically Oregonian now. I still don't think I would call it a California Pinot in a blind taste, but it's not as far to the right on my number line now. Maybe a 13? Now I'll be forced to sample it again tomorrow to see how it evolves. ;)

moondigger

rjquillin wrote:Why not post there and put the link to the post here?

Apparently I guessed wrong, re-formatting it with links to the original thread and posting here. I can edit it to match your suggestion if you think that'd be better.

bobrush12866

quality posts: 8 Private Messages bobrush12866

2004 Astrale e Terra Napa Valley Estate Syrah

Very nice for the price!

rjquillin

moondigger wrote:Apparently I guessed wrong, re-formatting it with links to the original thread and posting here. I can edit it to match your suggestion if you think that'd be better.

or just copy and paste what is here, there.

CT

moondigger

rjquillin wrote:or just copy and paste what is here, there.

Done.

jmdavidson

quality posts: 59 Private Messages jmdavidson

2005 Ty Caton Racchus Red Reserve Sonona Valley. Found this recently in a local grocery store being displayed in not the best conditions. But surprisingly, this is holding up very well. Good fruit balance and a nice finish. Would this qualify as a library wine now?

losthighwayz

quality posts: 63 Private Messages losthighwayz

2010 Dutcher Crossing Sauv Blanc and 2007 McLaren Syrah

"The older I get the better I was"

mbuffy

quality posts: 3 Private Messages mbuffy

2008 Duckhorn Merlot (just the regular merlot...not the three palms one...that's still in the cellar for later).

Young, but tasty. Between 3 and 4, but closer to 3 on my 5 point scale:

1) awful, never buy again
2) drinkable, perhaps barely, perhaps more than barely, but not worth caring about to buy again
3) decent, a solid wine, worth buying again, but not going to wow anyone
4) an excellent wine. not the most incredible, but getting there, and definitely one to make note of to try to buy again
5) the most outstanding wines I have ever had -- don't care what they cost, they're phenomenal

So, the Duckhorn Merlot tonight rated 3.1 or 3.2 on the above scale.

Caymus Special Selection is an example of a 4.

Silver Oak Napa Valley is close to a 4, but not really a 4 these days.

Opus One is a 4+ -- sometimes just a 4, and sometimes a bit over, but not even a 4.5.

Bond St. Eden is as close to a 5 as I've had -- probably a 5, and if not, it's a 4.9 (gotta leave some room for something to top it, just like the judges do in gymnastics or ice skating at the Olympics...).

I like my rating scale better than the typical 100 point scale. It seems less precise, but for my own purposes, I can more easily tell what I thought of a wine by whether I rated it starting with a 3.something or a 4.something, etc. This means more to me than 88, 89, 90, 91....really? That fine of a gradation? Robert Parker look out, we have a super-taster in the house! (not me...LOL)

andreaserben

Orange Juice - actual juice, no orange crusher or something like that

ajrod27

quality posts: 41 Private Messages ajrod27

2009 Ty Caton Racchus Red

tdedek

quality posts: 4 Private Messages tdedek

2006 Phoenix Ranch Syrah

mommadeb1

quality posts: 18 Private Messages mommadeb1
klezman wrote:Something I got from a friend - I'll tell you all about it another night. For now, I think you're all going to want some of this easy drinking, low alc bottle.

red or white?

jmdavidson

quality posts: 59 Private Messages jmdavidson
ajrod27 wrote:2009 Ty Caton Racchus Red

I had the 05 last night. How was the 09?

cortot20

12' red Zep. Pink Zep.

CT