loveladyelectric


quality posts: 23 Private Messages loveladyelectric

Going to a wine pairing at a local steakhouse for Cru (Mariposa) Wine Company. Haven't had anything from them, but that's usually the case at this steakhouse. Half the time the food is better than the wine. The other half I leave poor.

rjquillin


quality posts: 183 Private Messages rjquillin
kylemittskus wrote:Ok. I owe you an '09 + $10. I owe tyger and Ron like 3 cases combined.


Only because an company to remain unnamed can't keep shipping addresses straight.

CT

kylemittskus


quality posts: 232 Private Messages kylemittskus
kylemittskus wrote:I'll be opening and trying the yet to be released 2011 Halćon Alturas Syrah. I'll post extensive notes.



Pnp: color is very dense, not diaphanous, with magenta edges. Pepper on the nose and almost like a chemical scent, although not at all unpleasant. Pretty tight, as expected. The palate again, really, really tight. And again, as expected. It's dominated by mouth-filling, fine, grainy tannins. There's barely a hint of fruit. The finish is long, although it's pretty difficult to discern any flavor.

An hour after opening: pepper is still prominent on the nose. The tannins have settled a bit and there is a distinct minerality on the palate that is emerging. Fruit is still hiding at this point.

Two hours after opening: same notes as "an hour" but the minerality is even more present and there's a tiny bit of sweet fruit starting to emerge.

A day after opening: tannins have settled down substantially. The minerality is even more pronounced and the acid is coming through pretty clearly. This wine is for food, like fat steak food. The fruit is still hiding, but again, no surprise as this wine isn't even a baby yet.

Two days after opening: this wine is finally approachable. There's fruit, the palate is beautiful and velvety. It's not very vibrant (duh, it's been open for 2 days), but it's very nice. This wine is going places, it just needs TIME!

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

rjquillin


quality posts: 183 Private Messages rjquillin
kylemittskus wrote:... diaphanous ...



CT

tytiger58


quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58
kylemittskus wrote:Pnp: color is very dense, not diaphanous, with magenta edges. Pepper on the nose and almost like a chemical scent, although not at all unpleasant. Pretty tight, as expected. The palate again, really, really tight. And again, as expected. It's dominated by mouth-filling, fine, grainy tannins. There's barely a hint of fruit. The finish is long, although it's pretty difficult to discern any flavor.

An hour after opening: pepper is still prominent on the nose. The tannins have settled a bit and there is a distinct minerality on the palate that is emerging. Fruit is still hiding at this point.

Two hours after opening: same notes as "an hour" but the minerality is even more present and there's a tiny bit of sweet fruit starting to emerge.

A day after opening: tannins have settled down substantially. The minerality is even more pronounced and the acid is coming through pretty clearly. This wine is for food, like fat steak food. The fruit is still hiding, but again, no surprise as this wine isn't even a baby yet.

Two days after opening: this wine is finally approachable. There's fruit, the palate is beautiful and velvety. It's not very vibrant (duh, it's been open for 2 days), but it's very nice. This wine is going places, it just needs TIME!



So we are splitting a case at realease?

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson




tytiger58


quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58

2005 Convento San Francisco S.L. Ribera del Duero

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson




kylemittskus


quality posts: 232 Private Messages kylemittskus
tytiger58 wrote:So we are splitting a case at realease?



Stupid question. Next!

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

kylemittskus


quality posts: 232 Private Messages kylemittskus

2007 Marimar Estate (Marimar Torres) Pinot Noir La Masia Don Miguel Vineyard from a juice box.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

ddeuddeg


quality posts: 32 Private Messages ddeuddeg

New Pope, and a Jesuit. What better reason to uncork a bubbly in the middle of the week? Noctambule Cremant de Loire NV. Lovely fruit, seemed almost sweet. Tart apple and pear. Didn't get the yeast I generally like to find in a bubbly, but very pleasant with the horseradish-crusted salmon we had for dinner.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne


Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

tytiger58


quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58
kylemittskus wrote:2007 Marimar Estate (Marimar Torres) Pinot Noir La Masia Don Miguel Vineyard from a juice box.



Yum!

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson




kylemittskus


quality posts: 232 Private Messages kylemittskus
tytiger58 wrote:Yum!



One bottle left. Excellent QPR.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

ajrod27


quality posts: 41 Private Messages ajrod27

Lagunitas IPA

North316


quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316

Opened another bottle of the Pour Pour Me last night.

My first tasting notes in November were as follows: "Not really sure what to make of this wine. It is exactly what it is supposed to be. A fruit bomb with some sugar and lot of alcohol. Two years ago I would have absolutely loved this wine, but I find myself wanting more. A little acidity and a little less heat. Still a decent wine, but I would not buy it again for the price (which I thought was high to begin with for a woot cellars)."

I would say it still fairly consistent, though I think the alcohol has mellowed a bit. Definitely still a fruity blast lacking in any significant acid backbone. I did enjoy it a little more than the first time around, but still agrue that the QPR is nothing to brag about at the price point. In the $10-12 range this would be an awesome evening sipper.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

tdedek


quality posts: 4 Private Messages tdedek

Tonight we are going to crack open a 1999 Sullivan Vineyards Coeur de Vigne and maybe a 2010 or 2011 Cellars33 Keefer Ranch Chardonnay.

Ahhhh, Friday...I missed you.

Last night, had a 2010 Celler Cal Pla Priorat Black Slate Porrera. This was a nice wine for the price (~$18) that could probably use some more time in the bottle. Gobs of red and some blue fruit, which made it appear somewhat sweet but not off putting in any sort of way, jammy, but not over done. Interesting, because not normally my style and would steer clear. Finish was a little balsamic-y, good acidity that made this drink well with food as well as without but a little one dimensional. Would maybe try again if I find it in a few years under known storage conditions at a similar price. Not interested in stocking up to experiment for myself.

klezman


quality posts: 130 Private Messages klezman

Last night had that bottle of 09 Halcon Syrah. Very Ty Caton-like. Very tasty.

2014: 42 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2012 Iron Horse Estate Chardonnay
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

rjquillin


quality posts: 183 Private Messages rjquillin
klezman wrote:Last night had that bottle of 09 Halcon Syrah. Very Ty Caton-like. Very tasty.

Was this a WB day purchase? I think my lockers just received my shipment. Gotta go check.

CT

tytiger58


quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58
klezman wrote:Last night had that bottle of 09 Halcon Syrah. Very Ty Caton-like. Very tasty.



Never had a Caton Syrah but glad you liked it.

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson




klezman


quality posts: 130 Private Messages klezman
rjquillin wrote:Was this a WB day purchase? I think my lockers just received my shipment. Gotta go check.



No, something tytiger donated at some point. Finishing off that bottle tonight before getting on a red-eye to the east coast.

2014: 42 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2012 Iron Horse Estate Chardonnay
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

rjquillin


quality posts: 183 Private Messages rjquillin
klezman wrote:No, something tytiger donated at some point. Finishing off that bottle tonight before getting on a red-eye to the east coast.

Free wine generally can taste better; good luck with the RE back east. Let us know how the TSA lines are, given all the recent "S" word hype.

CT

funbunny


quality posts: 26 Private Messages funbunny

2007 Keller Estate Pinot Noir La Cruz Vineyard with some Vella Dry Jack while chatting with hubby and prepping dinner. 2008 J Vineyards Russian River Chardonnay with stuffed tilapia filet (smoked turkey sausage for hubby) sweet potato fries and spinach salad. Now... Pierre Ferrand Sélection des Anges Cognac and Game of Thrones S2.

"Wine is sunshine held together by water" - Galileo Galilei

jmdavidson


quality posts: 58 Private Messages jmdavidson
funbunny wrote:2007 Keller Estate Pinot Noir La Cruz Vineyard with some Vella Dry Jack while chatting with hubby and prepping dinner. 2008 J Vineyards Russian River Chardonnay with stuffed tilapia filet (smoked turkey sausage for hubby) sweet potato fries and spinach salad. Now... Pierre Ferrand Sélection des Anges Cognac and Game of Thrones S2.



WOW. I never realized how much wine you guys drink! Nice selections.

Per noi, 2011 Bodegas Paso Robles Albarino with steamed mussels topped with cilantro and sauteed monkfish with jasmine rice.

neilfindswine


quality posts: 173 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

'10 Esterlina Cole Ranch Riesling with some take-out Thai food. Yup.

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

ajrod27


quality posts: 41 Private Messages ajrod27

Lagunitas W T F (Wilco Tango Foxtrot)

Ballast Point Sculpin IPA

funbunny


quality posts: 26 Private Messages funbunny
jmdavidson wrote:WOW. I never realized how much wine you guys drink! Nice selections.



Is that an accusation?

To my defense, the Pinot was a half bottle. I don't drink during the week so I get all my alcohol in on the weekend. Great excuse - right?

"Wine is sunshine held together by water" - Galileo Galilei

otolith


quality posts: 24 Private Messages otolith

[quote postid="5377322" user="]

To my defense, the Pinot was a half bottle. I don't drink during the week so I get all my alcohol in on the weekend. Great excuse - right?[/quote]

It's the excuse I use!

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

funbunny


quality posts: 26 Private Messages funbunny
otolith wrote:It's the excuse I use!



Ahh... I can say I play along side the masters now!

"Wine is sunshine held together by water" - Galileo Galilei

cortot20


quality posts: 158 Private Messages cortot20

09' Ramsay north coast PN
With el pollo loco. Not ideal.

CT

rjquillin


quality posts: 183 Private Messages rjquillin
neilfindswine wrote:'10 Esterlina Cole Ranch Riesling with some take-out Thai food. Yup.

Bring Esterlina back!

CT

rjquillin


quality posts: 183 Private Messages rjquillin

Some cilantro-lime shrimp with a RBW 2011 Viognier I've been saving...
Now moving on to some un-named 2005 red varietal I've not had before (one closer to the century club) and a Costco pizza doctored with capers, chilies, additional cheeses and other goodies.

SWMBO out with the girls.

CT

Itwdswafo


quality posts: 8 Private Messages Itwdswafo

Pulled out a bottle of 2010 Orange Crusher and 2010 Foppiano Sauvignon Blanc (Red Cap) both enjoyed with Chicken Fajitas Then some NV Wellington White Port and 2007 Pedroncelli Port for after dinner. Okay, the ports also went into some vanilla and chocolate cupcakes/ganache for tomorrow also.

karenhynes


quality posts: 11 Private Messages karenhynes
funbunny wrote:

To my defense, the Pinot was a half bottle. I don't drink during the week so I get all my alcohol in on the weekend. Great excuse - right?



+1

Wine is bottled poetry - Robert Louis Stevenson

funbunny


quality posts: 26 Private Messages funbunny
jmdavidson wrote:2011 Bodegas Paso Robles Albarino



This is a good wine, I'm glad you talked me into to buying it. I'm saving the last two bottles for summer.

"Wine is sunshine held together by water" - Galileo Galilei

cortot20


quality posts: 158 Private Messages cortot20
funbunny wrote:This is a good wine, I'm glad you talked me into to buying it. I'm saving the last two bottles for summer.



My wife really enjoyed her set and has 1 bottle left. They also make a Verdelho which we really enjoyed. I'm hoping woot gets a batch of those.

CT

funbunny


quality posts: 26 Private Messages funbunny
cortot20 wrote:My wife really enjoyed her set and has 1 bottle left. They also make a Verdelho which we really enjoyed. I'm hoping woot gets a batch of those.



I noodled around on the web for the Verdelho and all the comments I found sound good. It's not on BPS'a website anymore but hopefully as you say, maybe they'll send some Winedavid's way.

"Wine is sunshine held together by water" - Galileo Galilei

tytiger58


quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58

In honor of Jim Barrett passing..

2006 Chateau Montelena Cabernet Sauvignon (Non Estate) Napa Valley

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson




losthighwayz


quality posts: 61 Private Messages losthighwayz
tytiger58 wrote:2005 Convento San Francisco S.L. Ribera del Duero



Thoughts? It's on Cindy for sub-18 per bottle. Also, can I buy off Cinderella, have them hold until I build a case then get FS? Thanks

"The older I get the better I was"

losthighwayz


quality posts: 61 Private Messages losthighwayz

2011 Rock Hollow SB fromCurtis Winery in Los Olivos...perfect.

"The older I get the better I was"

chipgreen


quality posts: 202 Private Messages chipgreen
funbunny wrote:This is a good wine, I'm glad you talked me into to buying it. I'm saving the last two bottles for summer.


The Bodegas M Albariño also sold here previously came from the same Querida Jack vineyard as the Bodegas Paso Robles. Just a FYI in case it comes around again.

jmdavidson


quality posts: 58 Private Messages jmdavidson
funbunny wrote:This is a good wine, I'm glad you talked me into to buying it. I'm saving the last two bottles for summer.



Maybe WD needs to revisit this winery and see if they can offer it again. WD?

chipgreen


quality posts: 202 Private Messages chipgreen
tytiger58 wrote:In honor of Jim Barrett passing..

crappy

tytiger58 wrote:2006 Chateau Montelena Cabernet Sauvignon (Non Estate) Napa Valley

nice tribute