tytiger58

quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58
rjquillin wrote:Going out to the Balboa Park Restaurant on the Prado.
Looked at their list and pricing, so...

2006 Iron Horse Vineyards Russian Cuvée (USA, California, Sonoma County, Green Valley) [NC T, 750]

2010 Kent Rasmussen Sauvignon Blanc Esoterica (USA, California, North Coast, Suisun Valley) [D10, 750]

2007 Keller Estate Chardonnay Oro de Plata (USA, California, Sonoma County) [NC T, 1.5]

1997 Ardente Estate Winery Cabernet Sauvignon Espressione (USA, California, Napa Valley, Atlas Peak) [CC, 750]

2000 Oriel Barolo Etereo (Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo) [NC T, 1.5]

2007 Prager Winery and Port Works Tomás Imogene's Vineyard (USA, California, Napa Valley) [CC420, 750]

Great restaurant! Pairing??

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

UBlink

quality posts: 18 Private Messages UBlink

2008 Rosenblum Kick Ranch PS. Opened it last night, drinking pretty good tonight.

Following the eight word profile, political economy in eight words:
Ain't no free lunch - them what has gets.

trifecta

quality posts: 69 Private Messages trifecta
kylemittskus wrote:2009 Winter's Hill Vineyard Pinot Noir, Willamette Valley

And one day soon, you may be able to buy this wine also!

Style? New/old world? Funky?

andreaserben

quality posts: 21 Private Messages andreaserben

Woot Cellars 2011 Phat Goose

(Dark) fruityyy, a bit of chocolate, quite harsh - needs more aging.

cortot20

quality posts: 132 Private Messages cortot20

Whatever my friends soon to be father in law is buying.

CT

rjquillin

quality posts: 170 Private Messages rjquillin
tytiger58 wrote:Great restaurant! Pairing??
rjquillin wrote:Going out to the Balboa Park Restaurant on the Prado.
Looked at their list and pricing, so...

2006 Iron Horse Vineyards Russian Cuvée (USA, California, Sonoma County, Green Valley) [NC T, 750]

2010 Kent Rasmussen Sauvignon Blanc Esoterica (USA, California, North Coast, Suisun Valley) [D10, 750]

• Vegetarian Black Bean Soup; chiles & spices, red onions, cumin, sour cream, lime.
  • Whole Grain Mustard Steamed Mussels; white wine & herb broth
  • Cilantro Rock Shrimp Chili Relleno; red corn tortilla crust, monterey jack, chevre, black bean mole, avocado-serrano salsa
  • Grilled Portobello Mushroom Salad; baby arugula, sun dried tomato pesto, Sonoma goat cheese, lemon vinaigrette.
  • Prado Pressed Arugula Salad; strawberries, candied walnuts, asiago, sherry-shallot vinaigrette
  • Red & Gold Baby Beet Salad; shaved fennel, frisee, Sonoma goat cheese, truffle vinaigrette

2007 Keller Estate Chardonnay Oro de Plata (USA, California, Sonoma County) [NC T, 1.5]

The Keller returned unopened

1997 Ardente Estate Winery Cabernet Sauvignon Espressione (USA, California, Napa Valley, Atlas Peak) [CC, 750]

2000 Oriel Barolo Etereo (Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo) [NC T, 1.5]

• Lemongrass Scented Skuna Bay Salmon; sushi rice, bok choy, maitake mushrooms, ginger lime sauce
  • Pan Roasted Sea Bass; corn, pancetta, asparagus, spinach, shaved fennel, preserved lemons, white truffle corn puree
  • Shrimp & Filet; grilled certified angus petite filet, marinated grilled shrimp, garlic potato puree, green beans, crispy challots, harts of palm, bordelaise sauce
  • Grilled 16oz Bone-In Ribeye; truffled mac 'n cheese, green peppercorn sauce
  • Spiced Szechuan Duck Breast; forbidden black rice, pea shoots, mint, basil, caramelized pineapple gastrique
  • Harissa Braised Lamb Shank; carrot risotto, baby spinach, mint lamb jus
  • Red Wine Braised Beef Short Ribs; horseradish mashed potatoes, grilled asparagus, gremolata, bordelaise sauce
  • Mascarpone Polenta
  • Spinach & Fennel
  • Grilled Asparagus
  • Blue Cheese & Bacon Mashed,
  • Garlic or Horseradish Mashed Potatoes

Plenty of sharing with the above. I had the duck, SWMBO the Short Ribs.

2007 Prager Winery and Port Works Tomás Imogene's Vineyard (USA, California, Napa Valley) [CC420, 750]

• Triple Chocolate "Threat"; chocolate cookie crust, dark chocolate baked custard, dark chocolate ganache, salted caramel ice cream, cocoa nib garnish
  • Cream Cheese Flan; almond shortbread, local figs
  • Vanilla Bean Crème Brulee; fresh berries (SWMBO does this better..)
  • Tres Leches; traditional "three milk" soaked sponge cake, baked pistachio meringue filled with caramel bananas & vanilla bean ice cream
  • Sorbet Trio; pear, forestberry & mango sorbet trio, caramelized coconut crisp, raspberry sauce
Again, plenty of sharing.

The Iron Horse was, well IH.

Kent's SB didn't disappoint and his style surprised some more accustomed to grocery store or BevMo SB's.

The Keller was excess, not opened.

The Ardente didn't dissppoint, but paled next to;

2000 Oriel Barolo Etereo was without doubt the shooting star of the evening and lauded by all. Full bramble and fruit nose, very smooth entry, wonderfully balanced with a lingering finish.
This was, for me, an expensive woot flyer that didn't disappoint in the least and I wish I had more than the single mag still in the cellar.

Prager, another surprise for most. Restrained nose but lush, supple and lingering; not a late harvest thick gooey sugar bomb some had expected. I'll need to grab another couple of these.

The steward enjoyed tastes of everything poured and especially enjoyed the Barolo and Prager. The steward commented they've poured very little port the past few years, they have only seven port glasses left, and this was the most he can remember serving in a single evening since he's been there. One bottle they had lasted nearly a year! To the credit of the restaurant, our corkage should have been $80 for the five bottles, but we were charged only $45 for three.

A wonderful rainy evening at the Park in San Diego.

CT

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus

Old Fashioned

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

losthighwayz

quality posts: 58 Private Messages losthighwayz

Day 2 of salexis merlot....wife and inloved day 1. Day 2 ok but alcohol showing itself so i am thinking it is falling apart this a drink now wine....

"The older I get the better I was"

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon

2nd night of a 2007 Wellington victory. We opened it last night but babied through a small pair of glasses because it was very closed. This morning it was significantly better but this evening it was singing. Very firm acidity, wonderful round fruit and integrated oak flavors. Not much tannin. It will be the acid that gives this one staying power. Very good, agreed to be worth about the $40 paid

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

sukeiasa

quality posts: 6 Private Messages sukeiasa

Went to the gala dinner at la paulee New York last night.... Will post pictures later, but my favorite wines of the night are the 1983 Montrachet, and the 1959 la romanee...

wine woot gatherings: manchego dinner, '11 cyber pub bottling, '12 cyber pub bottling, DMV #25, #26, #28, #29, #29.5 NY #19, NY #20; socal #22

tytiger58

Into the decanter for a number of hours...2009 No Girls Wines Grenache La Paciencia Vineyard

andreaserben

rjquillin wrote:To the credit of the restaurant, our corkage should have been $80 for the five bottles, but we were charged only $45 for three.

A wonderful rainy evening at the Park in San Diego.

I was wondering about what your initial post was all about - regarding the pricing... so you brought your own booze? Haven't seen that happen often around here.

rjquillin

andreaserben wrote:I was wondering about what your initial post was all about - regarding the pricing... so you brought your own booze? Haven't seen that happen often around here.

Actually, we've had some number of comments on this very topic, and yup, with some of their library wines well into the three digits, and nothing I brought was on their list, and there was NO port offered...

Thread #1
wine.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=5352053

Thread #2
wine.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=5208339

Thread #3
wine.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=4944539

CT

klezman

quality posts: 119 Private Messages klezman

I will be drinking this very same thing this evening. If anybody in the area wants to help let me know.

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

rjquillin

Is this one and the same as
that from mid August of '12?

CT

kylemittskus

I'll be opening and trying the yet to be released 2011 Halćon Alturas Syrah. I'll post extensive notes.

tytiger58

kylemittskus wrote:I'll be opening and trying the yet to be released 2011 Halćon Alturas Syrah. I'll post extensive notes.

What the heck?? that's a bit young don't you think? Hope you opened it yesterday!

How about opening the 09?

ajrod27

quality posts: 41 Private Messages ajrod27

Last night:
2004 Truchard Tempranillo
2010 Wente Vineyards Riesling Late Harvest Arroyo Seco

The Temp has lost a significant amount of fruit since my last bottle. I'm hoping it's just bottle variation as opposed to going downhill, because I still have 3 bottles remaining

trifecta

quality posts: 69 Private Messages trifecta
klezman wrote:I will be drinking this very same thing this evening. If anybody in the area wants to help let me know.

Where are you going to be?

Nevermind, read quick and thought it said bay area.... doh. Maybe next time you're up though.

kylemittskus

tytiger58 wrote:What the heck?? that's a bit young don't you think? Hope you opened it yesterday!

How about opening the 09?

Paul sent it to me and asked that I taste it over 48 hours. I'll be posting my notes here and on wltv, CT, and WB.

tytiger58

kylemittskus wrote:Paul sent it to me and asked that I taste it over 48 hours. I'll be posting my notes here and on wltv, CT, and WB.

Good to hear looking forward to my 3rd vintage

andreaserben

rjquillin wrote:Actually, we've had some number of comments on this very topic, and yup, with some of their library wines well into the three digits, and nothing I brought was on their list, and there was NO port offered...

Thread #1
Thread #2
Thread #3

"hmmm…we can't find that
The page your browser asked for isn't on our servers. This is what we geeks call a 404 error. The link you followed may be old, or you might have mistyped the address.

"

andreaserben

rjquillin wrote: [NC T, 750]
[D10, 750]
[NC T, 1.5]
[CC, 750]
[NC T, 1.5]
[CC420, 750]

I guess 750 is 750 ml, 1.5 is 1.5 l. What is NC T, D10, CC420?

tytiger58

Everything Tercero...no one should eat and drink that much on a school night!

ajrod27

1997 Teldeschi Petite Sirah

I was blown away by this wine! I have high expectations for Dan's efforts and this exceeded those expectations. Wish I had more

rjquillin

andreaserben wrote:I guess 750 is 750 ml, 1.5 is 1.5 l. What is NC T, D10, CC420?

Guess I should have pruned them out, but the list was a cut-n-paste from a list of candidate bottles.
Locations within various storage locations. NC is 'new cellar' T(op), D10 is column and row within a cooler, CC is storage locker and case number for off-site storage.

CT

rjquillin

andreaserben wrote:"hmmm…we can't find that
The page your browser asked for isn't on our servers. This is what we geeks call a 404 error. The link you followed may be old, or you might have mistyped the address.

"

Very strange indeed. I went back and verified the embedded addresses were correct, and exposed them. It seems something is/was broken with "url=" formatting.
Exposed links below, cut-n-paste.
As a note, the actual url was visible when you replied and you could have done the same.

Thread #1
wine.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=5352053

Thread #2
wine.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=5208339

Thread #3
wine.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=4944539

CT

rjquillin

coffee not yet kicked in, wrong button

CT

tytiger58

kylemittskus wrote:Paul sent it to me and asked that I taste it over 48 hours. I'll be posting my notes here and on wltv, CT, and WB.

Getting kind of excited to hear about this...just talked to Paul and I have 3 mags the 09, 10, and 11 coming my way

klezman

quality posts: 119 Private Messages klezman
tytiger58 wrote:Getting kind of excited to hear about this...just talked to Paul and I have 3 mags the 09, 10, and 11 coming my way

I suppose I should try that 09 you gave me...

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

loveladyelectric

quality posts: 23 Private Messages loveladyelectric

Hook a brother up. I've only tried the 2010 and loved it. What's your favorite vintage so far?

ajrod27

ajrod27 wrote:1997 Teldeschi Petite Sirah

I was blown away by this wine! I have high expectations for Dan's efforts and this exceeded those expectations. Wish I had more

Finished the bottle of this today, which is still drinking wonderfully on the second day.

Tonight:
2002 Tamás Estates Cabernet Sauvignon

Pleasantly surprised by this one.

tytiger58

klezman wrote:I suppose I should try that 09 you gave me...

Really, if you have not consumed it yet I want it back

Decant and I believe you will be a fan

kylemittskus

loveladyelectric wrote:Hook a brother up. I've only tried the 2010 and loved it. What's your favorite vintage so far?

Aren't you a sister? I haven't tried any of his wines except for the '11 because they are babies. Tyger kills 'em. I have some 09s if you want a bottle instead of some of the cash I owe you.

tytiger58

kylemittskus wrote:Aren't you a sister? I haven't tried any of his wines except for the '11 because they are babies. Tyger kills 'em. I have some 09s if you want a bottle instead of some of the cash I owe you.

Ha! I will pop one and decant it for 4 hrs on the 30th and you guys can tell me what you think...and if you don't like it you have the palate of a Yak

loveladyelectric

quality posts: 23 Private Messages loveladyelectric
kylemittskus wrote:Aren't you a sister? I haven't tried any of his wines except for the '11 because they are babies. Tyger kills 'em. I have some 09s if you want a bottle instead of some of the cash I owe you.

Haha no I'm a dude. My name is Kevin. I guess I see the confusion with my moniker.

Actually yeah, I'll take you up on the 09 bottle swap. I didn't realize his 2010 Alturas was so cheap. I'm about to order some.

kylemittskus

loveladyelectric wrote:Haha no I'm a dude. My name is Kevin. I guess I see the confusion with my moniker.

Actually yeah, I'll take you up on the 09 bottle swap. I didn't realize his 2010 Alturas was so cheap. I'm about to order some.

Ok. I owe you an '09 + $10. I owe tyger and Ron like 3 cases combined.

cortot20

kylemittskus wrote:Ok. I owe you an '09 + $10. I owe tyger and Ron like 3 cases combined.

You owe me nothing unless you want to unload the 05' Oakrock that you didnt care for.

CT

kylemittskus

cortot20 wrote:You owe me nothing unless you want to unload the 05' Oakrock that you didnt care for.

Were taking that this weekend. If it doesn't get drunk, it's yours.

cortot20

kylemittskus wrote:Were taking that this weekend. If it doesn't get drunk, it's yours.

You gots it.

CT