tytiger58 wrote:Great restaurant! Pairing??
rjquillin wrote:Going out to the Balboa Park Restaurant on the Prado.
Looked at their list and pricing, so...
2006 Iron Horse Vineyards Russian Cuvée (USA, California, Sonoma County, Green Valley) [NC T, 750]
2010 Kent Rasmussen Sauvignon Blanc Esoterica (USA, California, North Coast, Suisun Valley) [D10, 750]
- Vegetarian Black Bean Soup; chiles & spices, red onions, cumin, sour cream, lime.
- Whole Grain Mustard Steamed Mussels; white wine & herb broth
- Cilantro Rock Shrimp Chili Relleno; red corn tortilla crust, monterey jack, chevre, black bean mole, avocado-serrano salsa
- Grilled Portobello Mushroom Salad; baby arugula, sun dried tomato pesto, Sonoma goat cheese, lemon vinaigrette.
- Prado Pressed Arugula Salad; strawberries, candied walnuts, asiago, sherry-shallot vinaigrette
- Red & Gold Baby Beet Salad; shaved fennel, frisee, Sonoma goat cheese, truffle vinaigrette
2007 Keller Estate Chardonnay Oro de Plata (USA, California, Sonoma County) [NC T, 1.5]
The Keller returned unopened
1997 Ardente Estate Winery Cabernet Sauvignon Espressione (USA, California, Napa Valley, Atlas Peak) [CC, 750]
2000 Oriel Barolo Etereo (Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo) [NC T, 1.5]
- Lemongrass Scented Skuna Bay Salmon; sushi rice, bok choy, maitake mushrooms, ginger lime sauce
- Pan Roasted Sea Bass; corn, pancetta, asparagus, spinach, shaved fennel, preserved lemons, white truffle corn puree
- Shrimp & Filet; grilled certified angus petite filet, marinated grilled shrimp, garlic potato puree, green beans, crispy challots, harts of palm, bordelaise sauce
- Grilled 16oz Bone-In Ribeye; truffled mac 'n cheese, green peppercorn sauce
- Spiced Szechuan Duck Breast; forbidden black rice, pea shoots, mint, basil, caramelized pineapple gastrique
- Harissa Braised Lamb Shank; carrot risotto, baby spinach, mint lamb jus
- Red Wine Braised Beef Short Ribs; horseradish mashed potatoes, grilled asparagus, gremolata, bordelaise sauce
- Mascarpone Polenta
- Spinach & Fennel
- Grilled Asparagus
- Blue Cheese & Bacon Mashed,
- Garlic or Horseradish Mashed Potatoes
Plenty of sharing with the above. I had the duck, SWMBO the Short Ribs.
2007 Prager Winery and Port Works Tomás Imogene's Vineyard (USA, California, Napa Valley) [CC420, 750]
- Triple Chocolate "Threat"; chocolate cookie crust, dark chocolate baked custard, dark chocolate ganache, salted caramel ice cream, cocoa nib garnish
- Cream Cheese Flan; almond shortbread, local figs
- Vanilla Bean Crème Brulee; fresh berries (SWMBO does this better..)
- Tres Leches; traditional "three milk" soaked sponge cake, baked pistachio meringue filled with caramel bananas & vanilla bean ice cream
- Sorbet Trio; pear, forestberry & mango sorbet trio, caramelized coconut crisp, raspberry sauce
Again, plenty of sharing.
The Iron Horse was, well IH.
Kent's SB didn't disappoint and his style surprised some more accustomed to grocery store or BevMo SB's.
The Keller was excess, not opened.
The Ardente didn't dissppoint, but paled next to;
2000 Oriel Barolo Etereo was without doubt the shooting star of the evening and lauded by all. Full bramble and fruit nose, very smooth entry, wonderfully balanced with a lingering finish.
This was, for me, an expensive woot flyer that didn't disappoint in the least and I wish I had more than the single mag still in the cellar.
Prager, another surprise for most. Restrained nose but lush, supple and lingering; not a late harvest thick gooey sugar bomb some had expected. I'll need to grab another couple of these.
The steward enjoyed tastes of everything poured and especially enjoyed the Barolo and Prager. The steward commented they've poured very little port the past few years, they have only seven port glasses left, and this was the most he can remember serving in a single evening since he's been there. One bottle they had lasted nearly a year! To the credit of the restaurant, our corkage should have been $80 for the five bottles, but we were charged only $45 for three.
A wonderful rainy evening at the Park in San Diego.