with salmon, gyoza, and asparagus.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

cmaldoon

quality posts: 61 Private Messages cmaldoon
kylemittskus wrote:On tap for tonight:

2011 Clayhouse Vineyard Estate Cuvée Blanc Red Cedar Vineyard

with salmon, gyoza, and asparagus.

That one gets overpowered easily. I recommend going light on the gyoza sauce. It is very nice when paired well.

2014 - 10 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot)
Last purchase: 3/4/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl.
2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
Bungled Original Communicator 2 My Cellar

jmdavidson

quality posts: 47 Private Messages jmdavidson

2009 Scott Harvey Barbera (Amador County) pairing very well with melanzane alla parmigiana, vitello e insalata.

iByron

quality posts: 40 Private Messages iByron

February 23 was Open That Bottle Night. And only two people posted.

Well I had a 1962 Château Meyney "Prieuré des Couleys," a Saint-Estephe that's Merlot-based. It was very nice with a veal stew, though a Filet Mignon with Bordelaise sauce would have been perfect! But I don't have it like that.

iByron

iByron's iCellar (I'm a reciprocal CT Cellar Buddy)

Your Private WIneaux

klezman

quality posts: 114 Private Messages klezman

Dinner meeting tonight. We've got:
-Saint-Veran
-Savigny-les-Beaune 1er Cru
-Winter's Hill Pinot Noir (OR)
-2006 Brunello
-1999 Ros di Rol Super Tuscan

2014: 17 bottles. Last wine.woot: Wellington Vitory x3 & Fjellene Walla Walla Reds
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

kylemittskus

quality posts: 224 Private Messages kylemittskus
cmaldoon wrote:That one gets overpowered easily. I recommend going light on the gyoza sauce. It is very nice when paired well.

Big fan of this wine on the PnP pre-food. I'd like more acid, though, which would probably counteract what you're saying about it being overpowered.

tytiger58

quality posts: 73 Private Messages tytiger58

2010 A Tribute to Grace Wine Company Grenache Santa Barbara Highlands Vineyard

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 23 Private Messages ddeuddeg
iByron wrote:February 23 was Open That Bottle Night. And only two people posted.

Well I had a 1962 Château Meyney "Prieuré des Couleys," a Saint-Estephe that's Merlot-based. It was very nice with a veal stew, though a Filet Mignon with Bordelaise sauce would have been perfect! But I don't have it like that.

iByron

Being away for a few days, we missed that one, but we opened quite a few bottles at Scott and Jana's. I think my favorite was the '03 Cathedral.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

cortot20

quality posts: 110 Private Messages cortot20

Hanger 24 alt-bier

CT

chipgreen

quality posts: 152 Private Messages chipgreen

Scott Harvey 2010 Old Vine Reserve Zin. Supposedly a sub-par vintage but Scott's wines seem to be vintage-proof. Probably infanticide but it's already drinking well. Very well.

cmaldoon

Monkey 2nd prize. I have one of these every 6 months. The second night of this one is doing pretty great. Not feeling in a descriptive mood but this one will last at least 5 more years.

redwinefan

quality posts: 74 Private Messages redwinefan

2010 Bartz-Allen Winery Pinot Noir, Split Rock Vineyard/Sonoma Coast

$14.99 at Invino. It may be the best candiate for Pinot Noir QPR that I've ever purchased. I'm not sure if they are still in business since it was a micro-winery that worked through Crushpad, but they were using some excellent fruit.

If this comes back up, I'm buying a case.

"You need to invest in a corkscrew. Wine is for drinking." -- Peter Wellington

loveladyelectric

quality posts: 22 Private Messages loveladyelectric

Just got weird drinking some 2006 Duckhorn Howell Mountain cab with my boss's boss's boss. Not a terrible way to spend the afternoon, but that guy turned my casual wine Tuesday into "FML Wednesday."

redwinefan

quality posts: 74 Private Messages redwinefan
loveladyelectric wrote:Just got weird drinking some 2006 Duckhorn Howell Mountain cab with my boss's boss's boss. Not a terrible way to spend the afternoon, but that guy turned my casual wine Tuesday into "FML Wednesday."

How was it? Duckhorn always makes highly rated Zins and Merlots, and I know I've had their Cabs, but I don't remember them.

"You need to invest in a corkscrew. Wine is for drinking." -- Peter Wellington

ajrod27

quality posts: 37 Private Messages ajrod27

The Duke 10.

jmdavidson

2009 Jeff Runquist Petite Syrah (Salman VYD) with pot roast (carrots, potatoes).

trifecta

quality posts: 65 Private Messages trifecta

2006 Blue Cellars Syrah Truchard Vineyard

tdedek

quality posts: 4 Private Messages tdedek
ajrod27 wrote:The Duke 10.

I'm a newer Wellington fan and loved everything from the 2007 mixed case offer, but this one fell short for me. At the same time, I know there are plenty of fans of this release. I think I should probably revisit my second bottle one of these weeknights and try again, maybe with some pasta and meat sauce. I think that first time around, it was a second bottle.

cmaldoon

tdedek wrote:I'm a newer Wellington fan and loved everything from the 2007 mixed case offer, but this one fell short for me. At the same time, I know there are plenty of fans of this release. I think I should probably revisit my second bottle one of these weeknights and try again, maybe with some pasta and meat sauce. I think that first time around, it was a second bottle.

Both I and my gal found that one to be awful. Perhaps it was simply the bad year. If I want a Wellington daily drinker ill go for his standard reds.

tdedek

cmaldoon wrote:Both I and my gal found that one to be awful. Perhaps it was simply the bad year. If I want a Wellington daily drinker ill go for his standard reds.

We had the same kind of reaction and I actually have the second bottle in the 'gift' pile right now. I think I might give it a second chance for s and g's, I've loved everything else that PW has offered up and will be joining his club. Good to know that it seems to be just this release.

coynedj

quality posts: 7 Private Messages coynedj
cmaldoon wrote:Monkey 2nd prize. I have one of these every 6 months. The second night of this one is doing pretty great. Not feeling in a descriptive mood but this one will last at least 5 more years.

That's good to hear, as I still have several bottles and was wondering whether I should push them ahead of some others on my "to-drink" rack.

I started out on Burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff. Bob Dylan, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

How on earth did I get 7 QPs?

klezman

tdedek wrote:I'm a newer Wellington fan and loved everything from the 2007 mixed case offer, but this one fell short for me. At the same time, I know there are plenty of fans of this release. I think I should probably revisit my second bottle one of these weeknights and try again, maybe with some pasta and meat sauce. I think that first time around, it was a second bottle.

I've found rather large variability in how much I like releases of the Duke. You do need to always remember, though, that it's $9 kitchen sink wine. I've found that it outdrinks most in that price range.

2014: 17 bottles. Last wine.woot: Wellington Vitory x3 & Fjellene Walla Walla Reds
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

ajrod27

quality posts: 37 Private Messages ajrod27
klezman wrote:You do need to always remember, though, that it's $9 kitchen sink wine. I've found that it outdrinks most in that price range.

My thoughts exactly. It's a good everyday value wine that pairs very well with food. Also, like most of Wellingtons wines, they need some air time to open up.

jmdavidson

2007 Tolaini al passo paired with chicken cacciatore and saffron risotto. Great pairing due to the wine having a blend of 85% sangio and 15% merlot.

Edit: yes, it is drinking well right now. At about $20 a bottle, you can always get more. This will go really well with any Italian meal.

kylemittskus

2011 Tobin James James Gang Reserve Chardonnay

with wanton soup.

mother

quality posts: 14 Private Messages mother
cmaldoon wrote:That one gets overpowered easily. I recommend going light on the gyoza sauce. It is very nice when paired well.

So what would you say is a good pairing for it?

cortot20

2012 pink Zep. With a ravioli soup kinda thing.
Like an Italian version of wonton soup.

CT

tytiger58

quality posts: 73 Private Messages tytiger58
jmdavidson wrote:2007 Tolaini al passo paired with chicken cacciatore and saffron risotto. Great pairing due to the wine having a blend of 85% sangio and 15% merlot.

So it's drinking well now? I have 4 resting and i'm dying to pop one.

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

sukeiasa

quality posts: 6 Private Messages sukeiasa

it was my birthday dinner tonight... my friends and i were at washington dc's marcel's and decided to bring our own wine....

let's start with the backup wine in case the main wine didn't work out

we started with some bubbly

then went on to the main bottle... which... fortunately for me, totally worked out

i've been drinking aged wines for about a year now, but tonight took it to another level... i was literally speechless when i smelled the bouquet... and was in pure ecstasy afterwards... all i can say is... i love wine.

wine woot gatherings: manchego dinner, '11 cyber pub bottling, '12 cyber pub bottling, DMV #25, #26, #28, #29, #29.5 NY #19, NY #20; socal #22

kylemittskus

@sukeiasa: DAMN!

neilfindswine

quality posts: 163 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

kylemittskus wrote:@sukeiasa: DAMN!

+1

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

loveladyelectric

quality posts: 22 Private Messages loveladyelectric
redwinefan wrote:How was it? Duckhorn always makes highly rated Zins and Merlots, and I know I've had their Cabs, but I don't remember them.

I've had the Duckhorn merlots and really liked them. This cab did not taste like a typical Howell Mountain cab. It was a pretty standard fruit bomb with little oak and no minerality to speak of. Not a sweet "crowd pleaser" cab like Caymus or Silver Oak, but very easy to drink.

klezman

sukeiasa wrote:

i've been drinking aged wines for about a year now, but tonight took it to another level... i was literally speechless when i smelled the bouquet... and was in pure ecstasy afterwards... all i can say is... i love wine.

Damn. I wish I could get my hands on one of those with good provenance for a reasonable price. Birth year first growth!?

klezman

Tonight for me was 2007 Chateau Bianca Pinot Noir with pan-grilled salmon with a dusting of sesame oil. Delicious wine and amazing pairing. Thanks to rpm for putting the salmon/pinot thought in my head.

cortot20

This weekend Bach. Party.
I'm taking a vinito del finito and a 07' TO pig stai. Wish me luck.

CT

trifecta

quality posts: 65 Private Messages trifecta
klezman wrote:Damn. I wish I could get my hands on one of those with good provenance for a reasonable price. Birth year first growth!?

Same here. I have been looking for good 1980 stuff, but it gets expensive. Pretty bad year in CA from what I've been told.

coynedj

quality posts: 7 Private Messages coynedj
sukeiasa wrote:

Can I please come to your next birthday party?

I started out on Burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff. Bob Dylan, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

How on earth did I get 7 QPs?

tdedek

Some Berserker Day spoils...

2009 Cellars 33 Chardonnay and then a 2009 Calluna Merlot Aux Raynauds with dinner.

Very curious about the Merlot. It was part of a bundle and would not be something I would normally pick up without tasting first. Have heard some good rumblings about it recently, we will see...

otolith

quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith

2005 Masi Costasera Amarone.

First Amarone. We'll see how this goes.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

otolith

quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith
kylemittskus wrote:@sukeiasa: DAMN!

Agreed! That's pretty awesome, and glad it worked out for you.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir