chipgreen

quality posts: 187 Private Messages chipgreen
ThunderThighs wrote:We're updated/improved our verification process. Make sure your address for PayPal matches what you have on Woot.

OK, thanks I will check that out. I know that the last 2x I bought wine my PayPal payment was denied on my first attempt but successful on my second attempt. This time I tried repeatedly before switching to a debit card. Not that it really matters, the PP account is tied to the same bank account as the debit card.

rjquillin

quality posts: 173 Private Messages rjquillin
ThunderThighs wrote:We're updated/improved our verification process. Make sure your address for PayPal matches what you have on Woot.

Recently, as in the past 48 hours or so?

And does this have something to do with first sucker changing ?
I see one, then, after another purchase, gone, to be replaced by another. What gives with that?
Happened to Sparky.
Happened to me.
Happened to someone else last night...

CT

otolith

quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith
chipgreen wrote:I'll be sure to drink it at cellar temp instead of refrigerating, thanks for the tip - I also seem to remember people saying something similar about last year's vintage.

I have some left from Friday. Will try another glass tonight, and let it warm up along the way.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

jmdavidson

quality posts: 57 Private Messages jmdavidson

Saturday night, besides three zins, a 1970 Taylor Port (Porto Vintage). Have never had anything that old to drink and this did not disappoint.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
otolith wrote:I have some left from Friday. Will try another glass tonight, and let it warm up along the way.

I had high hopes for that wine...

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

funbunny

quality posts: 25 Private Messages funbunny
jmdavidson wrote:Saturday night, besides three zins, a 1970 Taylor Port (Porto Vintage). Have never had anything that old to drink and this did not disappoint.

Mmmm....that sounds delicious, tasting notes?

I've often thought about getting Dave a bottle of vintage port for an anniversary or birthday gift but forget to do some research ahead of time. This would be a good start to my education.

"Wine is sunshine held together by water" - Galileo Galilei

kylemittskus

2007 Marimar Estate (Marimar Torres) Pinot Noir La Masia Don Miguel Vineyard (375ml)

losthighwayz

quality posts: 59 Private Messages losthighwayz

2010 babcock estate Pinot Rita's earth

"The older I get the better I was"

otolith

quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith
kylemittskus wrote:I had high hopes for that wine...

Keep 'em! It could just be me.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

tytiger58

quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58

2009 Twisted Oak *%#&@!

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

ajrod27

quality posts: 41 Private Messages ajrod27

2011 Hawley Wine Viognier
1983 Château du Basque
2005 Jana Winery Cathedral

trifecta

quality posts: 72 Private Messages trifecta
ajrod27 wrote:2011 Hawley Wine Viognier
1983 Château du Basque
2005 Jana Winery Cathedral

I wish I could find more of that Viognier!! How was the Jana?

ajrod27

quality posts: 41 Private Messages ajrod27
trifecta wrote:I wish I could find more of that Viognier!! How was the Jana?

That was my last bottle of Hawley Viognier. Do you think the 2012 will be better? The 2011 was delicious.

I opened the Jana yesterday and it was really tight, so I poured it through the vinturi into a decanter. Two hours later it was better, but still not meeting my expectations. I funneled it back into the bottle, corked it and stuck it in the cellar. ~26 hours later it bloomed into a wonderfully elegant wine. Bright fresh fruit, not overly ripe, velvety tannin, big acidity and an extended finish. Went very well with red meat. I'm in no hurry to open my remaining bottles.

rjquillin

Duke 10, with venison burgers topped with Point Reyes blue, and veggies. While for me Duke 9 was better PnP, 10 has improved on day two, no Ar. Still it has what seems a bit of a bite (acid?) and not a lot going on, I'm thinking (hoping) this may be like some other woot wines that settles down and turns into something a bit better with some age.

CT

tytiger58

2009 Windy Oaks Estate Pinot Noir Diane's Block Klein Family Mountain Vineyard

kylemittskus

Maker's Mark

kylemittskus

tytiger58 wrote:2009 Windy Oaks Estate Pinot Noir Diane's Block Klein Family Mountain Vineyard

Yum. I think I'm going to regret not grabbing that BD offer. I'm ok with everything else, but that one... that PN you brought to klez's was so good.

rjquillin

kylemittskus wrote:Maker's Mark

Just checked my bottles; no collectables, damn.

CT

neilfindswine

quality posts: 170 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

tytiger58 wrote:2009 Windy Oaks Estate Pinot Noir Diane's Block Klein Family Mountain Vineyard

...and? How was it? I like these folks.. Have visited a few times (I love the Coralitos area... Windy Oaks, Alfaro, Pleasant Valley and Soquel are spots I've visited and loved). Good Pinots if I recall correctly...

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

tytiger58

neilfindswine wrote:...and? How was it? I like these folks.. Have visited a few times (I love the Coralitos area... Windy Oaks, Alfaro, Pleasant Valley and Soquel are spots I've visited and loved). Good Pinots if I recall correctly...

Love it! Only my third bottle from WO and my first Diane's Block. They are doing some great work with Pinot up there IMHO.

Neil, work your magic and get some for Woot

tytiger58

kylemittskus wrote:Yum. I think I'm going to regret not grabbing that BD offer. I'm ok with everything else, but that one... that PN you brought to klez's was so good.

Yea that bottle convinced me but still I waffled on that deal all day and finally made the call that night...glad I did.

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon

Opened my first bottle of The Crusher Orange Wine last night.... I think (and hope) it was flawed. The flavors I got off of it were nail polish remover and wet dog. I tried it at opening and then 30 min later. Had to switch out for a $6 Grenache which was MUCH better after I got rid of its slight effervescence. The orange wine was still awful 2, 4, and 12 hours later. I am wondering if I should report it as a flawed bottle or wait until I open a second one to see if I just don't like the "normal" flavor.

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

kylemittskus

cmaldoon wrote:Opened my first bottle of The Crusher Orange Wine last night.... I think (and hope) it was flawed. The flavors I got off of it were nail polish remover and wet dog. I tried it at opening and then 30 min later. Had to switch out for a $6 Grenache which was MUCH better after I got rid of its slight effervescence. The orange wine was still awful 2, 4, and 12 hours later. I am wondering if I should report it as a flawed bottle or wait until I open a second one to see if I just don't like the "normal" flavor.

Wet dog sounds like cork taint.

2005 Kaleidos Oakrock tonight for me.

loveladyelectric

quality posts: 23 Private Messages loveladyelectric

Opening the 2012 Stillman Brown Viognier to see if I need to buy more this weekend.

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon
kylemittskus wrote:Wet dog sounds like cork taint.

Yeah, I'm thinking it likely was but ill open a second bottle before reporting it to service

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

justplainjulie

quality posts: 5 Private Messages justplainjulie

1997 Ardente Cab

This is really lovely. Decanted for about an hour, sipped with filet mignon, spinach pie, and parsnip puree. Nice pairings.

I get a lot of leather, cedar, and earth/mushroom on the nose. Cassis and stewed prune on the palate. Medium-long finish, tempered tannins, and nice brick red color. Wish I'd tried this before it popped up on the woot off. I would have definitely bought more.

jmdavidson

quality posts: 57 Private Messages jmdavidson
loveladyelectric wrote:Opening the 2012 Stillman Brown Viognier to see if I need to buy more this weekend.

Tasting notes?

cortot20

quality posts: 138 Private Messages cortot20

2011 Bodegas Paso Robles Albariño Galicia
With spicy chili.

CT

cortot20

kylemittskus wrote:Wet dog sounds like cork taint.

Let me know what you think, I thought it was awesome for the $13 woot price tag.

CT

tytiger58

2008 Broc Cellars Grenache Dry Stack Vineyard

tytiger58

cortot20 wrote:2011 Bodegas Paso Robles Albariño Galicia
With spicy chili.

Seems like a nice pairing..how was it?

trifecta

quality posts: 72 Private Messages trifecta

2007 Mount Edward Pinot Noir
Pairing with seared ahi tuna steak

loveladyelectric

quality posts: 23 Private Messages loveladyelectric
jmdavidson wrote:Tasting notes?

Very sweet nose with melon and honeysuckle. Palate is not as sweet as the nose would have you think, but there is some sweetness to it. Slight feel of effervescence on the tongue from the acidity. If you're used to more full bodied, oaked Viognier this is different. Between the slight sweetness, acidity, and flavor there is a lot going on (complex) but it's well structured. Overall I enjoy it but I don't see myself wanting to purchase a lot of it. I prefer oaked Viognier.

cortot20

tytiger58 wrote:Seems like a nice pairing..how was it?

Wasn't bad. The Albariño doesn't quite have enough acid to cut through the heat.

CT

neilfindswine

quality posts: 170 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

tytiger58 wrote:Love it! Only my third bottle from WO and my first Diane's Block. They are doing some great work with Pinot up there IMHO.

Neil, work your magic and get some for Woot

...I will try, by God I will try...

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

chipgreen

quality posts: 187 Private Messages chipgreen

2010 Miner Family Viognier Simpson Vineyard

tytiger58

neilfindswine wrote:...I will try, by God I will try...

That's the spirit!

kylemittskus

cortot20 wrote:Let me know what you think, I thought it was awesome for the $13 woot price tag.

I was not a huge fan; however, I think it easily stacks up to $13 CdRs and the like. I found it a little hot and bombastic, which I used to be into, but just not tonight. SWMBO really liked it.

kylemittskus

neilfindswine wrote:...I will try, by God I will try...

DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They had a deal for Berserker's Day so they're willing to offer discounts.

rjquillin

2011 Orange Crusher

All this crusher talk made me go and find one to pull a cork on.

Defiantly not the same as the 2010. The saturated orange is missing, replaced by a medium to deep straw. As it warmed from cellar to 19.5C, there was still a change in profile, but not to the extent of the 2010. Almost seems to have a bit of funk on the nose, in a pleasant but unexpected way, but I'm not getting wet dog. Seems lacking the full mouth I recall from the 2010 s well. Pretty simple, short finish, minimal tannins.
Held it's own with a light cheese and cilantro quesadilla and black bean snack, but not likely to much more.

At this point, a bit of a disappointment from the 2010, but still very drinkable and not a flawed bottle. I'll enjoy the remaining 2010 and the '11's I have, but not, at this time, be so quick for a 2012 multiple woot.

CT