quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58

2009 Tyler Pinot Santa Barbara County

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

random122

quality posts: 6 Private Messages random122
cortot20 wrote:2011 Bodegas Paso Robles Albariño Galicia
2005 McClean Estate Syrah

How is the McClean? Sold out when I saw it on wine.woot plus, and I couldn't handle that many bottles the second time I saw it up. Should I be kicking myself?

cortot20

quality posts: 137 Private Messages cortot20
random122 wrote:How is the McClean? Sold out when I saw it on wine.woot plus, and I couldn't handle that many bottles the second time I saw it up. Should I be kicking myself?

I have had the 03' and 05' both were solid Syrahs. The 05' was surprising, it had a somewhat muted nose but finishes with a slap of tart fruit with some vanilla and cocoa flavors. I found it great as a sipper not a good food wine. Would I buy more at the $16 price point? absolutely.

CT

cortot20

Last workday of the year for me.
Taft street rose of Pinot with homemade New Year and cheese.

CT

ajrod27

quality posts: 41 Private Messages ajrod27

2007 Wellington Vineyards Syrah England Crest

Ruby color. The nose has dull, stewed fruit aromas; prunes, blackberry and a hint of strawberry. Palate is medium bodied with a similar profile to the nose, not much acid bite but a decent amount of tannin. Kind of reminds me of a balsamic. There is also a slight yeasty smell. No change on day-2.

Could this be a flawed bottle? I would normally associate that flavor profile with a cooked bottle (minus the yeast), but this was received in November and other bottles from the shipment were great! (07 Merlot and 07 Zin) I do not have much experience with flawed wines, so I'm not sure what to make of this. It's not totally unpleasant...it's just not bright and lively. Could it be brett or corked?

rjquillin

quality posts: 171 Private Messages rjquillin
ajrod27 wrote:2007 Wellington Vineyards Syrah England Crest

Ruby color. The nose has dull, stewed fruit aromas; prunes, blackberry and a hint of strawberry. Palate is medium bodied with a similar profile to the nose, not much acid bite but a decent amount of tannin. Kind of reminds me of a balsamic. There is also a slight yeasty smell. No change on day-2.

Could this be a flawed bottle? I would normally associate that flavor profile with a cooked bottle (minus the yeast), but this was received in November and other bottles from the shipment were great! (07 Merlot and 07 Zin) I do not have much experience with flawed wines, so I'm not sure what to make of this. It's not totally unpleasant...it's just not bright and lively. Could it be brett or corked?

It's still so young I haven't even considered opening one yet.
Ditto on flawed bottles. Corked, surprisingly, not sure I've had one of those yet and from what I've read quite different from brett, and it doesn't sound like brett from your description, what I've read and recently consumed.

CT

cortot20

ajrod27 wrote:2007 Wellington Vineyards Syrah England Crest

Here's my notes on the same wine.

8/13/2012 Color is dark purple with light around the edges, nice legs as well.
Nose is mostly a blueberry compote, with some earthy notes in the background.
Palate has a slight alcohol burn up front but fades as the fruit and earthy notes come forward.
It really coats the mouth like a nice full bodied wine should.
The finish is medium in length but feels slightly thin, earthiness is much more present in the finish.

Great bottle.

CT

DingleBarry

quality posts: 1 Private Messages DingleBarry
rjquillin wrote:It's still so young I haven't even considered opening one yet.
Ditto on flawed bottles. Corked, surprisingly, not sure I've had one of those yet and from what I've read quite different from brett, and it doesn't sound like brett from your description, what I've read and recently consumed.

Ok, what is brett? I don't recall seeing that term before.

-Never mind. I google custom searched it.

bkarlan

quality posts: 46 Private Messages bkarlan

Samuel Smith Nut Brown beer and then some homemade Sangria.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse..." - John Stuart Mill

jmdavidson

quality posts: 57 Private Messages jmdavidson

2008 Maroon Proprietary Blend while cooking and using in the ragu. Then, 2003 Collelceto BdM with the lasagna. Great pairing.

bkarlan

quality posts: 46 Private Messages bkarlan

Chamomile tea. Driving to El Paso tomorrow, spending the night and watching GT play USC in the Sun Bowl on New Years Eve before heading back. Gotta take it easy tonight so I can pack up for tomorrows drive.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse..." - John Stuart Mill

rjquillin

Sashimi, and shabu-shabu;
Pacific Wine works Gewürztraminer and Artesa 2008 PN Moon Meadow/Carneros.
For the hard core red drinkers, finishing off the 2009 Sextant cab, and for the sweet tooth's, Mondavi 2009 Emblem.

I know we'll pull more corks, just not sure what yet...

CT

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg

2001 Robert Mondavi Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon with Beef Wellington, at one of our favorite restaurants. Really great to be able to share it with HAK and Cheron98.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

tytiger58

2006 Windy Oaks Estate Pinot Noir Henry's Block Schultze Family Vineyard

Really liked this, sadly the last bottle.

otolith

quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith

'06 Continuum. Nose is stuffed up, so I felt that I should open something big and bold. We'll see how this does as the night goes on. Not doing anything else out of the ordinary tonight.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

cortot20

Staying home tonight, meat and potatoes kinda night.

celebrating the new year with 09' Municipal Winemakers sparkling Shiraz

CT

neilfindswine

quality posts: 170 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

...staying home as well; crab kinda night, with Giornata Vermentino. To celebrate: '03 Soter Brut Rose, opening soon as the likelihood of being awake at midnight is very low. Happy New Year to all...

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

time2testit

quality posts: 14 Private Messages time2testit

After almost a week in Paso, relaxing at home with lamb chops, tater tots and 2007 Wellington Cabernet Sauvignon. Yum. (We may venture out nearer to midnight though - it is almost 2013 after all!) Happy New Year!

tytiger58

time2testit wrote:After almost a week in Paso, relaxing at home with lamb chops, tater tots and 2007 Wellington Cabernet Sauvignon. Yum. (We may venture out nearer to midnight though - it is almost 2013 after all!) Happy New Year!

Mmmm I will always have a soft spot in my heart for tater tots! Happy New Year.

jmdavidson

quality posts: 57 Private Messages jmdavidson

2006 Black Cat Vineyards Syrah with grilled rack of lamb, baked potato and grilled asparagus. Pedroncelli Port for dessert.

redwinefan

quality posts: 74 Private Messages redwinefan

Drank my last bottle of the 2007 Buena Vista Ramal Syrah tonight. I've concluded that this wine is a stellar deal at the $13.99 it was offered on WineShopper. I hope I can pick some more up at that price in the future.

"You need to invest in a corkscrew. Wine is for drinking." -- Peter Wellington

klezman

quality posts: 121 Private Messages klezman

New Years Eve was an 89 Corison and 06 Russian Cuvee - delicious! Then yesterday we had a nice sampling at a work function: 2010 Syrah from northern Rhone, 2001 Chinon, my lat bottle of 2000 Pedroncelli Midnight Run Zin, an Italian (Fruili) Sauvignon, and a 2000 Ardente Cab.

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

tytiger58

1981 Ridge Fiddletown Zinfandel ATP

An experience I will not soon forget! Unbelievable balance acid and tannin and fruit in a 32 year old Zin..the last few weeks someone has been blowing these out on Wine Bid, I will be trying more, please don't outbid me if your interested

rjquillin

tytiger58 wrote:1981 Ridge Fiddletown Zinfandel ATP

An experience I will not soon forget! Unbelievable balance acid and tannin and fruit in a 32 year old Zin..the last few weeks someone has been blowing these out on Wine Bid, I will be trying more, please don't outbid me if your interested

Thanks for the heads-up. Just placed a bid on an uncontested pair, but there are plenty more right now.

CT

UBlink

quality posts: 18 Private Messages UBlink

Well tonight the lovely Mrs. Blink polished off the rest of New Year's 1999 Schramsberg Reserve while I made do with a Lang 2007 Zin.

Following the eight word profile, political economy in eight words:
Ain't no free lunch - them what has gets.

rjquillin

UBlink wrote:Well tonight the lovely Mrs. Blink polished off the rest of New Year's 1999 Schramsberg Reserve while I made do with a Lang 2007 Zin.

Working on a Kunde 2007 Zin myself. Nice and spicy if a bit simple, but no complaints for $10.

I missed the final day of the blank flank tour when others went to Kunde.
From what I gather, they weren't much impressed.

CT

neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

Scholium Project Riquewihr Lost Slough Vineyard Gewurztraminer. I'm sleepy.

tytiger58

neilfindswine wrote:Scholium Project Riquewihr Lost Slough Vineyard Gewurztraminer. I'm sleepy.

I have heard A LOT of good things about Scholium Project Syrahs how was the Gewurztraminer??

neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

tytiger58 wrote:I have heard A LOT of good things about Scholium Project Syrahs how was the Gewurztraminer??

Atypical. Needs some time in a decanter (despite it not being red). High alcohol (15.9!?!). Fruity and minerally all at once; bright acidity; lighter and less spicey than most Gewurtz. It comes in a 500ml bottle for crying out loud... Fascinating.

ajrod27

quality posts: 41 Private Messages ajrod27

2007 Woot Cellars 'Twas

Drinking very well now! Popped the bottle yesterday, poured a glass and returned the bottle to the cellar. It was good yesterday but it's even better today; the fruit and aromatics really intensified overnight.

klezman

quality posts: 121 Private Messages klezman
tytiger58 wrote:1981 Ridge Fiddletown Zinfandel ATP

If you get more I'll take one or two off your hands if they're the right price.

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

tytiger58

klezman wrote:If you get more I'll take one or two off your hands if they're the right price.

They were 35, I will save one for you if you want. I will send a pm

cortot20

Adequate gift - strike that

2004 Twisted Oak %@#$! White

CT

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus

2005 Patrick Lesec CdP Rubis

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

tytiger58

kylemittskus wrote:2005 Patrick Lesec CdP Rubis

Inquiring minds want to know..

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
tytiger58 wrote:Inquiring minds want to know..

Haven't drank it yet. Dinner in 20 minutes. I'll post notes.

All red fruits. Some earth. It's drinking well now; I'm guessing it's not getting any better. Worth the $20 compared to CdP prices, but probably not a rebuy for me.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

tytiger58

kylemittskus wrote:Haven't drank it yet. Dinner in 20 minutes. I'll post notes.

PM for ya

dstearl

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dstearl

2006 Corison Cab, my first Corison, and it is amazing.

Love the balance, had to try one, have one I will sit for a while and two Kronos I won't touch for 5+ years.

This thing has everything I love, certainly not in your face but just keeps coming at you.

Itwdswafo

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Itwdswafo
jmdavidson wrote:2006 Black Cat Vineyards Syrah with grilled rack of lamb, baked potato and grilled asparagus. Pedroncelli Port for dessert.

How was it? I still have mine stowed away in storage on the left coast.

2011 Pedroncelli Dry Rosé of Zinfandel for tonight. Still breaking the misconceptions of white Zins. Glad I wasn't suffering from too much palate fatigue from that far into the tour, and bummed I didn't grab more while I was there (though I did walk out with a case from him). Still waiting for the Pedroncelli RPM woot plus deal to go up.... Hello?