MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 181 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

zTimBz and I went to a Port tasting at our local wine store.

2 Ruby's, 2 Tawny's, 1 Crusted, 1 Late Bottle Vintage, 2 Single Vineyard, and 4 Vintage Portos (two 2007, one 1994, and one 1970).

Nom, nom, nom.

Edit: Me!!!

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 230 Private Messages kylemittskus
tytiger58 wrote:Hey! that's a personal preference...but in this instance WB has a monthly winery tasting special and this deal was the GIII at 50% off up to three bottles, Eric Keating set a date to post your notes, and Eric would replace any bottle you opened for the tasting for the same price. Sooo not really my
fault for killing this baby SIWBM be damned!

To see my notes and everybody's notes here is the link. http://wineberserkers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=75033

I will say IMHO it is pretty spectacular and has many years to go.

That's a pretty sick offer. No fault then.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22
MarkDaSpark wrote:zTimBz and I went to a Port tasting at our local wine store.

2 Ruby's, 2 Tawny's, 1 Crusted, 1 Late Bottle Vintage, 2 Single Vineyard, and 4 Vintage Portos (two 2007, one 1994, and one 1970).

Nom, nom, nom.

What makes a port "crusted"? (I could Google it, but have the next question regardless.) And how does it compare with the other styles of port?

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

rjquillin

quality posts: 174 Private Messages rjquillin
MarkDaSpark wrote:zTimBz and I went to a Port tasting at our local wine store.

Nom, nom, nom.

I could comment something very profound like 'Sweet...', but given my own weakness and three digit inventory, I'll just go with Nom, nom, nom as well.

CT

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg
joelsisk wrote:I'm ok with that...

Of course you are, it's not your kidney they're talking about.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

cortot20

quality posts: 141 Private Messages cortot20

FIL is making some kind of pork dish, so i need to figure what bottle to bring for a rainy night.

CT

tytiger58

quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58
cortot20 wrote:FIL is making some kind of pork dish, so i need to figure what bottle to bring for a rainy night.

Vino Noceto worked real well with left over pork!

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

CAGrl

quality posts: 13 Private Messages CAGrl

1995 Foppiano PS. Agree with cmaldoon. It opened up nicely after an hour plus in the decanter.

cortot20

tytiger58 wrote:Vino Noceto worked real well with left over pork!

I would if I had some, that sounds wonderful, I decided on 2009 Dry Creek Vineyard Zinfandel Old Vine. I saw it noted that it was a slightly lighter style zin so i thought it might hold up well with however he decides to prep the pork.

CT

jmdavidson

quality posts: 57 Private Messages jmdavidson
CAGrl wrote:1995 Foppiano PS. Agree with cmaldoon. It opened up nicely after an hour plus in the decanter.

Have you tried any of the others in the group (96-97-98)? Do you think it is still drinking well? I am not sure when I'll open mine, but I would really like to do a vertical. I am hoping they are not past their drinking window.

For me, 2008 Beuhler CS. Very good QPR.
BTW: a favorite of beefytaco.

otolith

quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith

Started with a 2002 Clos des Papes CdP which was meh. All acid, not a lot of structure. Put the cork back in a put it in the fridge.

Next up was a 2002 Flora Springs Napa Cab. This was excellent! Full bodied, great structure.

Next up, a 2005 Jana Cathedral. This wine is also excellent. Full bodied, nice tannins and structure. I could drink this all night. Glad we had some friends over so we could go through some wine.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

otolith

jmdavidson wrote:Have you tried any of the others in the group (96-97-98)? Do you think it is still drinking well? I am not sure when I'll open mine, but I would really like to do a vertical. I am hoping they are not past their drinking window.

For me, 2008 Beuhler CS. Very good QPR.

You and yours need to drive up to the Cities and open them with us!

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

jmdavidson

otolith wrote:You and yours need to drive up to the Cities and open them with us!

We would certainly like to help you with the Corisons.

polarbear22

otolith wrote:Started with a 2002 Clos des Papes CdP which was meh. All acid, not a lot of structure. Put the cork back in a put it in the fridge.

Next up was a 2002 Flora Springs Napa Cab. This was excellent! Full bodied, great structure.

Next up, a 2005 Jana Cathedral. This wine is also excellent. Full bodied, nice tannins and structure. I could drink this all night. Glad we had some friends over so we could go through some wine.

Sweet.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
My Cellar

polarbear22

Had a bottle and a half at a new wine bar in town.

Closing the night with a 1997 Warre vintage port. Lots of oak coming through to me, but very nice. Two more bottles to try over the next decade.

My Cellar

klezman

quality posts: 122 Private Messages klezman
kylemittskus wrote:That's a pretty sick offer. No fault then.

How long is that offer up?

nm. I have the Montecillo Vineyard Cab, not the Beckstoffer.

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

tytiger58

klezman wrote:How long is that offer up?

nm. I have the Montecillo Vineyard Cab, not the Beckstoffer.

It was only up the first week of November. They are doing one new winery each month...I think Tercero might be up next month? They ran a poll on which wineries people wanted to see.

otolith

jmdavidson wrote:We would certainly like to help you with the Corisons.

There's more than Corison in the Cellar.

--John Muir

otolith

polarbear22 wrote:Sweet.

It was.

--John Muir

bkarlan

quality posts: 46 Private Messages bkarlan
brianterrizzi wrote:Neil and I talked nebbiolo and he's such a cool guy it's hard to say no. I fear that most wooters might find the wine a bit austere. We don't make much, but we also don't really push it on anyone so it doesn't sell out super fast. Might be worth a shot.

Brian thanks for stopping in. I finished off the last of the Aglianico today. Of course it got better the longer it sat out.

I am out of Nebbiolo and my wife did NOT pick me any up when she was in Italy. She will come home to a very upset husband when she comes back stateside.

I am trying to hold off for your offering on Woot (if it happens) if not, I will be placing an order with Stephy very shortly.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse..." - John Stuart Mill

tytiger58

2007 Bodegas Los Astrales Ribera del Duero Astrales

cortot20

Finished the dry creek zin from last night and can say that it did improve in my opinion overnight but was still not great. To much fruit but nothing else to center it.

My wife opened the clay house cuvée blanc which she enjoyed quite a bit.

CT

rjquillin

I ~think~ I owe someone some Jana Angel Ice, but can't find any notes as to who it may be.
Don't all jump in at once here...

CT

klezman

quality posts: 122 Private Messages klezman

rjq, I'm sure molarchae would take some off your hands if it's extra

I opened my last bottle of Albino Rhino tonight. Sad it's the last one, but it's great.

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

tytiger58

2009 Hamilton Russell Pinot Noir Walker Bay South Africa

Great structure, nice balance of fruit earth acid and tannin! Really nice bottle that needs more time. My first South African Pinot and won't be the last.

papamochi

quality posts: 1 Private Messages papamochi

Had a glass of Bodega Elena at an Argentinian restaurant...not sure the vintage but it was very tasty especially with the blue rare hanger steak and pablano polenta

FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIEND DRINK WHITE ZINFANDEL!

tytiger58

2005 Pertimali Brunello di Montalcino

Quite good!

cortot20

2010 Taft street rose of pinot.
With Kung Pao chicken and pork dumplings.

Wonderful ruby color. Nose and palate are of fresh cut strawberries and roses. The wine is dry and crisp.

CT

papamochi

quality posts: 1 Private Messages papamochi
papamochi wrote:Had a glass of Bodega Elena at an Argentinian restaurant...not sure the vintage but it was very tasty especially with the blue rare hanger steak and pablano polenta

Just found the blend at the store marked down from $10 to $7... that is a fantastic Apr...stocked up

FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIEND DRINK WHITE ZINFANDEL!

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg

A day late, sorry, not fit to post yesterday: Iron Horse Golden Gate Cuvée with the cheese and crackers that served for "lunch" after a late breakfast, '07 Zahtila Zinfandel, decanted for about a half hour, with dinner, and some '04 Wellington Old Vines Port with the pumpkin pie later in the evening. A lovely Thanksgiving dinner, just the two of us.

Note to self: Never leave out the sugar when making pumpkin pie. LW found that a little honey on top made it OK to eat.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

chipgreen

quality posts: 187 Private Messages chipgreen

Brought some '08 Gazzi Pinot Noir to Thanksgiving dinner last night and it paired really well with the food.

Scott should source some grapes and bottle his own PN, keeping the 85/15 PN/Syrah ratio - it's a nice blend.

redwinefan

quality posts: 74 Private Messages redwinefan

Drinking the 2008 Corison Gewürztraminer in Kauai. Beautiful island, beautiful wine.

"You need to invest in a corkscrew. Wine is for drinking." -- Peter Wellington

cortot20

2010 cycles gladiator petite sirah w/ tri-tip and roasted veggies. The wife opened the 2011 la Cana Albariño that she really digs.

CT

polarbear22

ddeuddeg wrote:Note to self: Never leave out the sugar when making pumpkin pie. LW found that a little honey on top made it OK to eat.

Oh my. Glad you could rescue.

My wife tells a story of when her grandma came to stay with her and her mom. Made a nice dessert. But used iced tea for brown sugar (I think). They were polite and ate it making nice comments. Until she took a bite and spit it out. Not sure if they have stopped laughing.

My Cellar

polarbear22

Had a nice Zin (Villa Mt Eden) with some ribs. Sipping some Sandeman's Tawny Port, but will likely finish up the Warre's Vintage Port (1997) next.

My Cellar

rjquillin

"T-day #2" and a rather eclectic one at that.

St Julian Extra dry White Sparkling wine, Michigan State 'Champagne'; as I've not had this before, interesting is the best I can do.

Jana 2008 Rose; this made everything better.

Truchard 2004 Tempranillo; others have commented this can be spotty, but this bottle was a good one.

2002 Oriel Priorat Alma de Llicorella; for me the high point of the evening. Showing nice bottle age, some meat and leather, a nice WTSO find.

N.V. Bottega Moscato Petalo Il Vino dell'Amore; for the girls after dinner. This one went quickly.

N.V. Anasazi Fields Cranberry; just had to try this gift from bkarlan. It was pretty chilled, so I'm going to taste again another time; unique.

On to the single malts!

CT

neilfindswine

quality posts: 170 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

'10 Two Hands 'Angels' Share' Shiraz at dinner; last supper before driving home to Sonoma at 5am. And now a glass of Erath Pinot from the hotel bar. Apple cleanse starting Monday AM.

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

chemvictim

quality posts: 3 Private Messages chemvictim

Don Julio knows my pain.

tytiger58

2009 Tyler Pinot Santa Barbara

With grilled lamb chops and Yorkshire pudding.

jmdavidson

Wine.Woot procurement: Jemrose Vineyards Estate 2008 Foggy Knoll Grenache, to go with Turkey Day leftovers.