kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
texacaliali wrote:steaming cup of coffee while in Chicago with half & half tonight, drop of honey too. Have a really good reason to stay awake over the next 2 hours...

So your winery will be up here in a little less than 2 hours, huh? Interesting! But honey in coffee....?

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

karenhynes

quality posts: 10 Private Messages karenhynes
texacaliali wrote:steaming cup of coffee while in Chicago with half & half tonight, drop of honey too. Have a really good reason to stay awake over the next 2 hours...

You came to Chicago and didn't tell anyone???

Wine is bottled poetry - Robert Louis Stevenson

texacaliali

quality posts: 136 Private Messages texacaliali

Guest Blogger

yeah, drop of honey in my coffee - totally weird I know. yes, spent a whirlwind at 4 of the Whole Foods Markets in Chicago leading tastings, I should have posted here...will certainly be back soon!

WineDavid was my Boss!

justplainjulie

quality posts: 5 Private Messages justplainjulie

2005 Red Zeppelin Syrah Bear Valley Vineyard

Not sure that this would benefit anymore from age. Still a little "hot" on the entry, and I get a pretty assertive cherry cola on the nose and palate.

kylemittskus

justplainjulie wrote:2005 Red Zeppelin Syrah Bear Valley Vineyard

Not sure that this would benefit anymore from age. Still a little "hot" on the entry, and I get a pretty assertive cherry cola on the nose and palate.

Really? I loved that wine! We drank a bottle before dinner the day we tasted it at Stillman's.

justplainjulie

quality posts: 5 Private Messages justplainjulie
kylemittskus wrote:Really? I loved that wine! We drank a bottle before dinner the day we tasted it at Stillman's.

My husband loves it, and I think it's pretty good. I think it's more of a stylistic preference issue. But that just means he can finish it off and I get to go pick something else to open!

cortot20

quality posts: 138 Private Messages cortot20

The duke.

CT

trifecta

quality posts: 72 Private Messages trifecta

2010 Picchetti Pavone Red Table Wine (50% merlot 50% cab franc)

rjquillin

quality posts: 173 Private Messages rjquillin
cortot20 wrote:The duke.

Which vintage?
How is it?

CT

cortot20

quality posts: 138 Private Messages cortot20
rjquillin wrote:Which vintage?
How is it?

X

A bit harsh on the tip of the tongue but improves through to the finish which is a little tart. I would say this is probably the worst of the his last three but is still very much a table wine that will pair well with my foods. It has nice acid, some tart fruit but no major flaws.

Popped and poured through the Venturi. Well see if it improves with some air.

CT

rjquillin

cortot20 wrote:X

A bit harsh on the tip of the tongue but improves through to the finish which is a little tart. I would say this is probably the worst of the his last three but is still very much a table wine that will pair well with my foods. It has nice acid, some tart fruit but no major flaws.

TNX Glad I still have some 9, guess I'll won't get all that much X.
Working on his '09 Grenache I opened over the weekend.

CT

kylemittskus

rjquillin wrote:TNX Glad I still have some 9, guess I'll won't get all that much X.
Working on his '09 Grenache I opened over the weekend.

Peter makes killer Grenache.

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg

Cline 2010 Cashmere, a GSM blend. Cherries, raspberries, silky smooth. Great with potato-leek soup and multi-grain bread. I sure do love this time of year, with the farmers' market full of fresh veggies.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

tytiger58

quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58

2008 Roadhouse Winery Grenache Dry Creek Valley

Found in the back of one of my fridges and what a pleasant surprise! Drinking very well.

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

papamochi

quality posts: 1 Private Messages papamochi
ddeuddeg wrote:Cline 2010 Cashmere, a GSM blend. Cherries, raspberries, silky smooth. Great with potato-leek soup and multi-grain bread. I sure do love this time of year, with the farmers' market full of fresh veggies.

Good stuff...I think I have 1 left...might have to open it now that I've been reminded.

FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIEND DRINK WHITE ZINFANDEL!

kylemittskus

2008 Firriato Etna Rosso

tytiger58

kylemittskus wrote:2008 Firriato Etna Rosso

How is that drinking now?

:Edit: I found a 2007 Torre Quarto Uva di Troia Bottaccia Puglia IGT in the cellar...gonna open it tomorrow

klezman

quality posts: 122 Private Messages klezman
trifecta wrote:2010 Picchetti Pavone Red Table Wine (50% merlot 50% cab franc)

I don't think I tasted that one when I was there. In any case, I found their prices to be absurdly high. Did you find a way to get a deal from them?

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

trifecta

quality posts: 72 Private Messages trifecta
klezman wrote:I don't think I tasted that one when I was there. In any case, I found their prices to be absurdly high. Did you find a way to get a deal from them?

Their prices are high, and most of their stuff doesn't really warrant the tariff. This was a gift from a friend who is a member there, and the house blend was only $20.

I have had vintages of the super Tuscan I really liked, but didn't buy at $50. To be fair, there isn't much in the way of affordable wine in the SC mountains. Their nearby neighbors have a longstanding rep, but I find everything they have wayyyy overpriced (ahem, ridge).

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316

Finally popped a bottle of the Pour Pour Me last night while I sad down to enjoy some Call of Duty: Black Ops to and unwind from a stressful day (harddrive crash on my work laptop).

Not really sure what to make of this wine. It is exactly what it is supposed to be. A fruit bomb with some sugar and lot of alcohol. Two years ago I would have absolutely loved this wine, but I find myself wanting more. A little acidity and a little less heat. Still a decent wine, but I would not buy it again for the price (which I thought was high to begin with for a woot cellars).

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

tytiger58

2011 - Herencia Altes Garnacha Negra

Surprisingly delicious fairly simple but delicious! And at 9 bones a excellent buy.

rjquillin

Working thru a number of open bottles. The 2010 Louis M. Martini Cabernet Sauvignon Sonoma County one of them, a $11 Costco purchase and a huge disappointment. Worth $11, just. Very simple and hasn't improved over three days. Won't be adding any of these.

OTOH, the 2010 Don Sebastiani & Sons Petite Sirah The Crusher - Grower's Selection from World Market for $11 is a decent drinker, but likely not to Sparky's standards.

CT

North316

rjquillin wrote:Working thru a number of open bottles. The 2010 Louis M. Martini Cabernet Sauvignon Sonoma County one of them, a $11 Costco purchase and a huge disappointment. Worth $11, just. Very simple and hasn't improved over three days. Won't be adding any of these.

Glad I didn't grab any of that when I saw it. Not to mention it was $14 or $15 here, maybe even more. Stupid Ohio alcohol prices.

My CT

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg

Wanted a Rioja to go with the Tortilla Española, opened the '01 Gran Riserva from the Berberana Library offer last month, only to find it was corked. Tried the '99 instead. A bit of brick color, but still full of fruit, although a bit muted. Nice bottle bouquet showing, with cherries and raspberries. Drinking beautifulIy right now, but I wouldn't hold it too much longer.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

rjquillin

ddeuddeg wrote:Wanted a Rioja to go with the Tortilla Española, opened the '01 Gran Riserva from the Berberana Library offer last month, only to find it was corked. Tried the '99 instead. A bit of brick color, but still full of fruit, although a bit muted. Nice bottle bouquet showing, with cherries and raspberries. Drinking beautifulIy right now, but I wouldn't hold it too much longer.

This brings up an interesting question, and I know WW and WD are ~very~ good at making good. But, I don't normally pull corks anytime soon after delivery, years for many, not months. At what point in time do we no longer expect any compensation for a defective, not something we just don't like, bottle..?

Wellington Syrah and Grenache tonight. Tired of Costco plonk and need to make some room.

CT

North316

rjquillin wrote:This brings up an interesting question, and I know WW and WD are ~very~ good at making good. But, I don't normally pull corks anytime soon after delivery, years for many, not months. At what point in time do we no longer expect any compensation for a defective, not something we just don't like, bottle..?

Wellington Syrah and Grenache tonight. Tired of Costco plonk and need to make some room.

From what have said at least, contact at ANY time regarding defective bottles. If it is something that you truly believe to be corked, they say they will take care of it. Now if you are sparky and just happened to sit in the back corner of your 2nd house/wine locker and is now over the hill, you are SOL.

I guess either way, it never hurts to ask. It wouldn't hurt to get some better clarification from WD on this though, especially CT shows that there were some bad bottles of KR PS going around and I have 4 of those which I don't plan on opening any time soon.

My CT

tytiger58

2008 Keating Beckstoffer Georges III Cab with Kalua pig...Wow!

jmdavidson

quality posts: 57 Private Messages jmdavidson
tytiger58 wrote:2008 Keating Beckstoffer Georges III Cab with Kalua pig...Wow!

I picked up a couple bottles of that from another wine site and was hesistant to open it now. How long did you decant? Flavor notes? Per me, 2005 Helios CS with steak (+blue cheese), butternut squash ravioli (+sage butter) and blanched broccoli. As usual, Corison does not disappoint.

kylemittskus

jmdavidson wrote:I picked up a couple bottles of that from another wine site and was hesistant to open it now. How long did you decant? Flavor notes? Per me, 2005 Helios CS with steak (+blue cheese), butternut squash ravioli (+sage butter) and blanched broccoli. As usual, Corison does not disappoint.

Don't use tyger as a barometer. He kills babies all the time.

bkarlan

quality posts: 46 Private Messages bkarlan

2009 Giornata Aglianico.

I absolutely love this stuff. High acidity with some wicked awesome dark fruits. I did open it early and it would benefit from cellaring, but I wanted a good Italian wine to go with my ravioli lasagna. This did it.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse..." - John Stuart Mill

tytiger58

kylemittskus wrote:Don't use tyger as a barometer. He kills babies all the time.

Hey! that's a personal preference...but in this instance WB has a monthly winery tasting special and this deal was the GIII at 50% off up to three bottles, Eric Keating set a date to post your notes, and Eric would replace any bottle you opened for the tasting for the same price. Sooo not really my fault for killing this baby SIWBM be damned!

To see my notes and everybody's notes here is the link. http://wineberserkers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=75033

I will say IMHO it is pretty spectacular and has many years to go.

joelsisk

quality posts: 9 Private Messages joelsisk

SP Drummer Meritage (Cab sauv/franc) Blair Vineyard 2003. Amazingly tasty... the Cab Franc aromas are off the charts!

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon
joelsisk wrote:SP Drummer Cab sauv/franc Blair Vineyard 2003. Amazingly tasty... the Cab Franc aromas are off the charts!

Oh I miss those. I only had 4 they were GOOD!

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

neilfindswine

quality posts: 170 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

bkarlan wrote:2009 Giornata Aglianico.

I absolutely love this stuff. High acidity with some wicked awesome dark fruits. I did open it early and it would benefit from cellaring, but I wanted a good Italian wine to go with my ravioli lasagna. This did it.

Glad you enjoyed. Brian's wines are pretty ridiculous. I saw him in Paso last weekend. Trying to see if he'll offer up something else to us soon...

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

bkarlan

quality posts: 46 Private Messages bkarlan
neilfindswine wrote:Glad you enjoyed. Brian's wines are pretty ridiculous. I saw him in Paso last weekend. Trying to see if he'll offer up something else to us soon...

Do whatever you have to to get his Nebbiolo. I ran out and I am getting ready to order some from him and Stephy. I know their stash is low, but do WHATEVER you have to in order to get some on here. I repeat, WHATEVER you have to.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse..." - John Stuart Mill

neilfindswine

quality posts: 170 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

bkarlan wrote:Do whatever you have to to get his Nebbiolo. I ran out and I am getting ready to order some from him and Stephy. I know their stash is low, but do WHATEVER you have to in order to get some on here. I repeat, WHATEVER you have to.

You and I will likely have to work the bottling line. And possibly a kidney or two. I'll ask.

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

joelsisk

quality posts: 9 Private Messages joelsisk
neilfindswine wrote:You and I will likely have to work the bottling line. And possibly a kidney or two. I'll ask.

I'm ok with that...

brianterrizzi

quality posts: 18 Private Messages brianterrizzi
bkarlan wrote:2009 Giornata Aglianico.

Thank you so much! When we started Giornata our dream was that folks would drink our wine with special Italian inspired dishes. Thanks for making it come true. Most of our wines handle cellaring well, but since most people can't wait I suggest opening them as early in the day as you can and decant before your meal.

Brian

brianterrizzi

quality posts: 18 Private Messages brianterrizzi

Neil and I talked nebbiolo and he's such a cool guy it's hard to say no. I fear that most wooters might find the wine a bit austere. We don't make much, but we also don't really push it on anyone so it doesn't sell out super fast. Might be worth a shot.

bkarlan wrote:Do whatever you have to to get his Nebbiolo. I ran out and I am getting ready to order some from him and Stephy. I know their stash is low, but do WHATEVER you have to in order to get some on here. I repeat, WHATEVER you have to.

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon
neilfindswine wrote: ... I'll ask.

brianterrizzi wrote:Neil and I talked nebbiolo and he's such a cool guy it's hard to say no.... Might be worth a shot.

Neil and Brian, THAT is answering the call of the people! High Fives all around! I've never tasted the stuff but strangely wish to buy some now.....

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar