North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
cortot20 wrote:Woot Cellars Blitzen, a good table wine and that's all I wanted out of it. Not blown away by the QPR but have had considerably worse table reds at this price point so I am happy.

Initial impression is a nose full of berries with a little granite (or is that pencil lead?) in the background.
Palate is fruit forward and the finish is short. It has good enough acid to go with a variety of foods but will leave you wanting a little more if you treat it as a sipper.

Just read this and was very confused. Was thinking "I just read this tasting note". You people and your user/CT name trickery.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316

Went a little bit rogue last night and tried some B. Nektar - Orange Blossom Mead. I occasionally grab a bottle of mead here and there in hopes that I will find one I enjoy as much as the stuff my dad used to home-brew (not sure what the main differences are, but his was almost like a nice late harvest white wine, sweet - with the wonderful taste of honey and still pretty strong, 15%).

This had a good flavor on the front of the palate, but pulled through with a very strange, almost hoppy/bitter aftertaste that was somewhat off-putting. The flavor profile reminded me a lot more of a lichi fruit sake that I have tried, than something made with honey. At $18 for the bottle, I was hoping for a little more, especially from a good honey producing area in Michigan (Ferndale). Guess I will just have to keep experimenting, or learn to make it myself.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

tytiger58

quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58

2009 Andrew Will Annie Camarda Syrah.

Voting night= American wine!

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon

Triacipidis and Scott Harvey mountain selection Syrah. Eagerly watching the returns. Mmmmm Syrah.....

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

justplainjulie

quality posts: 5 Private Messages justplainjulie

2006 Miguel Torres Ribera del Duero Céleste

This had almost an overwhelming oakiness to it when I first tasted it a couple years ago. It seems to have settled down, now. Classic tempranillo profile with some bright cherry tones and a slightly "tinny" finish. Overall, not bad for $10.

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 35 Private Messages ddeuddeg
cmaldoon wrote:Triacipidis and Scott Harvey mountain selection Syrah. Eagerly watching the returns. Mmmmm Syrah.....

Scott does wonderful things with Syrah, doesn't he? We had a bottle of '03 Syrah that he made for Astrale e Terra tonight. Still deciding whether to pop the cork on the IH Fairy Tale Cuvée.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

DarkStar11

quality posts: 1 Private Messages DarkStar11

I went with Woot's Pour, Pour Me Zin for election day. Regardless of who wins or loses, it seemed a strong wine was in order.

jawlz

quality posts: 12 Private Messages jawlz

A few glasses of Vino Nocetto's 2009 Normale Sangiovese, with some cheese tortellini. Very nice wine, as was expected.

cortot20

quality posts: 162 Private Messages cortot20
North316 wrote:Just read this and was very confused. Was thinking "I just read this tasting note". You people and your user/CT name trickery.

Yeah, some folks like to use the same user name across multiple accounts for a variety of sites. I am not one of these people.

CT

rjquillin

quality posts: 189 Private Messages rjquillin
DarkStar11 wrote:I went with Woot's Pour, Pour Me Zin for election day. Regardless of who wins or loses, it seemed a strong wine was in order.

Seemingly an apropos choice.

CT

ddeuddeg

Never got around to drinking the Iron Horse Fairy Tale Cuvée last night, so we decided to have that with dinner tonight. Picked up a couple of swordfish steaks, and used my favorite sea bass prep: lime juice, ginger, shallots, soy sauce, olive oil. A terrific combo. Hester Browne is right.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

cortot20

SA Holiday Porter.
Pretty yummy, but i should go find something for dinner now.

CT

kylemittskus

quality posts: 233 Private Messages kylemittskus

2012 Red Zeppelin Verdejo Chateau d'Abalone

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

rpm

quality posts: 183 Private Messages rpm

2004 Chase Haynes Vineyard Zinfandel. With broiled Salmon. The traditional California combination: Zin and Salmon (grilled or broiled).

Outstanding. Has aged very nicely and is drinking beautifully. A lovely combination of maturing fruit and bottle bouquet emerging. Drink now or for the next 5-10 years.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

kylemittskus

rpm wrote:2004 Chase Haynes Vineyard Zinfandel. With broiled Salmon. The traditional California combination: Zin and Salmon (grilled or broiled).

Outstanding. Has aged very nicely and is drinking beautifully. A lovely combination of maturing fruit and bottle bouquet emerging. Drink now or for the next 5-10 years.

I have one of the 2005s left. I've been holding it to experiment with aged zins based upon d-dog's penchant for aged zins.

trifecta

quality posts: 74 Private Messages trifecta

2003 Twisted Oak Tempranillo, Calaveras County.

Happy Tempranillo Day!

tytiger58

rpm wrote:2004 Chase Haynes Vineyard Zinfandel. With broiled Salmon. The traditional California combination: Zin and Salmon (grilled or broiled).

Interesting...I never even thought of pairing a Zin with Salmon, can't wait to try it now!

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee

Felt white tonight. Went with a Mandolina Moscato. Its awfully darn good.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

joelsisk

quality posts: 10 Private Messages joelsisk

Pedroncelli Dry Rose of Zinfandel. Went very well with a baked pasta. Turns out when I got a 2007 from the wine room to bring up to the cooler, I found a 2011 (from this year's tour) already there, so swapped them. The 2011 was very nice, interested to see what the 2007 is like in comparison!

jmdavidson

quality posts: 59 Private Messages jmdavidson

Went to a wine tasting tonight where only Gaja wines were showcased. WOW!

rjquillin

tytiger58 wrote:Interesting...I never even thought of pairing a Zin with Salmon, can't wait to try it now!

But that was a well aged Zin. Could be quite a difference from what most may have squirreled away. Good to hear from rpm off the Poli"tics" thread.

CT

joelsisk

quality posts: 10 Private Messages joelsisk
rjquillin wrote:But that was a well aged Zin. Could be quite a difference from what most may have squirreled away. Good to hear from rpm off the Poli"tics" thread.

he's retired from Politicks...

tytiger58

2005 Arcadian Fiddlestix Vineyard Pinot

Really great bottle with chicken tacos.

kylemittskus

I'm going to open something to celebrate the weekend, but not sure what. Probably a Turley Zin.

Right now, Stone Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale.

No wine. Hot cider and Maker's. My new favorite night-cap.

tytiger58

tytiger58 wrote:2005 Arcadian Fiddlestix Vineyard Pinot

Really great bottle with chicken tacos.

Looking forward to those now that it's getting cold!

bkarlan

quality posts: 46 Private Messages bkarlan

2004 Domaine Weinbach Gewurztraminer Cuvée Laurence

spicy spicy spicy, but good good good. worth the $30 I paid for it, but not a penny more. I think this is coming really close to its expiration date.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse..." - John Stuart Mill

rjquillin

joelsisk wrote:he's retired from Politicks...

Yes, gone perhaps from there, but good to see him elsewhere.

CT

cortot20

For Grandfather in laws birthday the family is doing a couple of prime ribs.
I am bringing the following;
09' Ty Caton Sonoma Cab.
07' Wellington Mohrhardt Ridge cab.

My Uncle in law usually provides wine for these events and I would like to take his job since he never brings anything interesting. Hopefully this will help chip away at his strangle hold on the vino.

edit: had 2nd thoughts about the TY. Swapped it with an 05' McClean estate syrah.

CT

klezman

quality posts: 130 Private Messages klezman

Friend brought a bottle of 2005 Carta Roja Gran Reserva Monastrell from Jumilla. That's Mourvedre to the rest of us. A bit more new world style than I prefer, but a tasty wine nonetheless.

2014: 57 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2011 Wellington Cab & Merlot, Roessler 2009 Bluejay, 2010 Bell Cabernet
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

rjquillin

Wellington 2007 Estate Syrah,
and some '09 Grenache for SWMBO as she didn't care for the Syrah.

Moving on to Used Auto Parts, something we both agree on.

CT

tytiger58

Finish the Arcadian Pinot while cooking, and 2006 Ottimino Rancho Bello Vineyard Zinfandel with dinner. Grilled Salmon, baked potato's and grilled veggies.

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22

2000 Corison Napa Cab paired with Filet with a brandy cream sauce. Great way to celebrate being home after four nights of travel.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

ddeuddeg

cortot20 wrote:For Grandfather in laws birthday the family is doing a couple of prime ribs.
I am bringing the following;
09' Ty Caton Sonoma Cab.
07' Wellington Mohrhardt Ridge cab.

My Uncle in law usually provides wine for these events and I would like to take his job since he never brings anything interesting. Hopefully this will help chip away at his strangle hold on the vino.

edit: had 2nd thoughts about the TY. Swapped it with an 05' McClean estate syrah.

Good call on the switch. The Ty is probably still too young.

cortot20

ddeuddeg wrote:Good call on the switch. The Ty is probably still too young.

that was my thought as well. Although I feel that if a winery is releasing the wine to the public then in their view it is good to open now.

In the end, I walked into the house saw that my uncle already had 5 bottles of Cabernet open and walked right back to the car and put the bottles back. They will live to ride another day. (yes, I am one of those guys)

CT

trifecta

quality posts: 74 Private Messages trifecta

2002 Uvaggio Il Gufo (Rose)
2007 Pellegrini Carignan
1999 Hawley Bradford Mountain Merlot

Awesome night!

kylemittskus

Cava with Sunday night football and sushi

ddeuddeg

Dry Creek Vineyards '03 Petite Sirah with roast leg of lamb, seasoned with Java Gourmet spice rub. A match made in heaven.

tytiger58

2008 Broc Cellars Eaglepoint Ranch Mendocino Grenache

For all the servicemen and women past, present, and future HAPPY VETERANS DAY!

otolith

quality posts: 24 Private Messages otolith
ddeuddeg wrote:Dry Creek Vineyards '03 Petite Sirah with roast leg of lamb, seasoned with Java Gourmet spice rub. A match made in heaven.

That sounds awesome! I just love PS and lamb. I'm also a fan of Dry Creek. We had one of their Zins when we were out to dinner the other night.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

texacaliali

quality posts: 137 Private Messages texacaliali

Guest Blogger

steaming cup of coffee while in Chicago with half & half tonight, drop of honey too. Have a really good reason to stay awake over the next 2 hours...

WineDavid was my Boss!