neilfindswine

quality posts: 173 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

cmaldoon wrote:2001 ardente cab sauv. Holy flaming bag woot scored on this one. $20 for a pretty damned good aged cab.

Nicely done.

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

cortot20

quality posts: 161 Private Messages cortot20

Woot Cellars Blitzen, a good table wine and that's all I wanted out of it. Not blown away by the QPR but have had considerably worse table reds at this price point so I am happy.

Initial impression is a nose full of berries with a little granite (or is that pencil lead?) in the background.
Palate is fruit forward and the finish is short. It has good enough acid to go with a variety of foods but will leave you wanting a little more if you treat it as a sipper.

CT

kylemittskus

quality posts: 233 Private Messages kylemittskus
kylemittskus wrote:2009 Xavier Vignon Côtes du Rhône Xavier

Just finished this with lunch. My favorite CdR this year.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

klezman

quality posts: 130 Private Messages klezman
cortot20 wrote:Woot Cellars Blitzen, a good table wine and that's all I wanted out of it. Not blown away by the QPR but have had considerably worse table reds at this price point so I am happy.

Initial impression is a nose full of berries with a little granite (or is that pencil lead?) in the background.
Palate is fruit forward and the finish is short. It has good enough acid to go with a variety of foods but will leave you wanting a little more if you treat it as a sipper.

I popped my first one of that set a few weeks ago. I thought it needed more time, but generally agree with your notes.

2014: 57 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2011 Wellington Cab & Merlot, Roessler 2009 Bluejay, 2010 Bell Cabernet
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

cortot20

Wellington the duchess.
2nd to Last bottle and will have to get my wife some more.

CT

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 35 Private Messages ddeuddeg

Stuart Cellars '04 Cabernet Franc. Purchased from wine.woot in October 2008. This wine has aged beautifully. Tannins are silky soft, fruit is still prominent. Absolutely delightful.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

kylemittskus

cortot20 wrote:Wellington the duchess.
2nd to Last bottle and will have to get my wife some more.

I'm in for some if you do. I liked that wine.

cortot20

ddeuddeg wrote:Stuart Cellars '04 Cabernet Franc. Purchased from wine.woot in October 2008. This wine has aged beautifully. Tannins are silky soft, fruit is still prominent. Absolutely delightful.

I have an 05' cab and an 08' PS from them and really have know idea what to expect.

CT

cortot20

kylemittskus wrote:I'm in for some if you do. I liked that wine.

I'll let you know if I do.

CT

jmdavidson

quality posts: 59 Private Messages jmdavidson

2007 Lungarotti Torgiano Rubesco (Umbria) with Melanzane (Eggplant parmigiana). Buonisimma.

klezman

Iron Horse 2007 Estate Chardonnay with chicken piccata and linguine with butter, garlic, mushrooms. Wonderful pairing. The oak and non-ML character of the chard are great.

2014: 57 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2011 Wellington Cab & Merlot, Roessler 2009 Bluejay, 2010 Bell Cabernet
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

ddeuddeg

cortot20 wrote:I have an 05' cab and an 08' PS from them and really have no idea what to expect.

Their wines are all well-made, in my experience. The CF was 13.4% alcohol, almost old-world style. We drank the Tatria (Meritage) from this deal a year or so ago, and it was also a real winner. I think you'll be happy with those.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

papamochi

quality posts: 1 Private Messages papamochi

2011 piety flats riesling with landau express...yum and yum. Also 2009 bogle essential red...good pqr but nothing to take my breath away

FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIEND DRINK WHITE ZINFANDEL!

klezman

klezman wrote:Iron Horse 2007 Estate Chardonnay with chicken piccata and linguine with butter, garlic, mushrooms. Wonderful pairing. The oak and non-ML character of the chard are great.

We also just decided to open a 2008 Harvest Moon Late Harvest Zinfandel. This is how it's supposed to be! Bright, acidic, slightly sweet, not terribly raisined, nice blackberry nose. 13% alcohol...I wonder how they stopped the fermentation. This would have also been nice if taken to full dryness.

tytiger58

quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58

2008 Broc Cellars Eaglepoint Ranch Mendocino Grenache

Really great bottle, actually like this better than the Bennett Valley.

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

kylemittskus

North Coast Brewing Co. Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout

papamochi

quality posts: 1 Private Messages papamochi
kylemittskus wrote:North Coast Brewing Co. Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout

Love that stuff...not a chivying beer by any standards

FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIEND DRINK WHITE ZINFANDEL!

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon
klezman wrote:Iron Horse 2007 Estate Chardonnay with chicken piccata and linguine with butter, garlic, mushrooms. Wonderful pairing. The oak and non-ML character of the chard are great.

I need to do that with my last bottle of IH chard....mmmmm tasty. Did you use capers?

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

klezman

cmaldoon wrote:I need to do that with my last bottle of IH chard....mmmmm tasty. Did you use capers?

Yes. But they are salt-packed, not brined. To me that makes all the difference. I thought I hated capers, but it turns out I just hate brined capers.

cortot20

Opolo vineyards 08' rhapsody
Nicely balanced and more fruit forward than I was expecting. It seemed like a lighter wine than it should have been but it was very approachable in its youth and went well with a marinated tri-tip.

The wife opened a Wellington 10' roussanne
I did not taste, sorry Kyle.

CT

klezman

We decided to open a 2006 Bogle PS Port. Initially it was all alcohol. Yuck. But letting it blow off for a few minutes did the trick, and it's a nice PS Port even if not terribly complex. For $12 I'm happy.

bkarlan

quality posts: 46 Private Messages bkarlan

2005 Used Auto Parts.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse..." - John Stuart Mill

jmdavidson

quality posts: 59 Private Messages jmdavidson

Bodegas Paso Robles Albarino with grilled salmon, pasta aglio olio and broccoli. Perfect pairing. If it comes up again on Wine.Woot, get some.

tytiger58

2003 Twisted Oak *%#&@!

This is a beauty with Rib Roast!

kylemittskus

2009 Arrowood Chardonnay RRV Alary Vineyards

Oak monster but pretty delicious.

cmaldoon

Triacipidis 3. Nothing special but a good Monday night sipper with some Netflix

My Cellar

justplainjulie

quality posts: 5 Private Messages justplainjulie

2006 Donati Tal Padre

A good post-work Monday night sipper. Probably at the end of its window, though.

ddeuddeg

2010 Quivira Zinfandel. Came with the latest club shipment. I'm so used to hanging onto Zins until they've aged more than some think prudent that I had forgotten how lovely a perfectly made Zin can be at release. 2 bottles left from the shipment. With a 30% discount available for the next couple of weeks, may need to order more. It's that good.

rjquillin

quality posts: 189 Private Messages rjquillin

WD, just killed the last MomoKawa.
Need more SAKE! to consume with mu sashimi.

CT

rjquillin

cmaldoon wrote:I need to do that with my last bottle of IH chard....mmmmm tasty. Did you use capers?

Don't I have some squirreled away for you? Can't drink 'em if you don't have 'em.

CT

cmaldoon

rjquillin wrote:Don't I have some squirreled away for you? Can't drink 'em if you don't have 'em.

Oh yeah... That will REALLY please BrightGreen (the +1). I like it, she LOVES it. We need to meet up at some point and do that swap. Will you be in SoCal over thanksgiving?

My Cellar

rjquillin

cmaldoon wrote:Oh yeah... That will REALLY please BrightGreen (the +1). I like it, she LOVES it. We need to meet up at some point and do that swap. Will you be in SoCal over thanksgiving?

Planning on it. And I think bkarlan may even be paying a visit to SD. Otherwise I could burro it to LA for klez's warming, or perhaps to D&D.

CT

cmaldoon

rjquillin wrote:Planning on it. And I think bkarlan may even be paying a visit to SD. Otherwise I could burro it to LA for klez's warming, or perhaps to D&D.

Oh yeah... You're in So-So-Cal ;-)

Well, we do have many common acquaintances in the LA area... I also do have a brother who is going to school in SD which either gives me a reason to be there or a convenient drop point. I'll at least bring the stuff down at thanksgiving.

My Cellar

tytiger58

ddeuddeg wrote:2010 Quivira Zinfandel. Came with the latest club shipment. I'm so used to hanging onto Zins until they've aged more than some think prudent that I had forgotten how lovely a perfectly made Zin can be at release. 2 bottles left from the shipment. With a 30% discount available for the next couple of weeks, may need to order more. It's that good.

Hmmm never tried a Quivira will seek some out, any particular vintages you would suggest?

And I have to agree with you a well made aged Zin is really something special!

bkarlan

quality posts: 46 Private Messages bkarlan
rjquillin wrote:Planning on it. And I think bkarlan may even be paying a visit to SD. Otherwise I could burro it to LA for klez's warming, or perhaps to D&D.

Si, I will be in SD this Turkey Day. I can be a mule if you are along my path from Albuquerque to SD. Might be making a trip to Disneyland, but that has to be settled through the wife.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse..." - John Stuart Mill

kylemittskus

kylemittskus wrote:2009 Arrowood Chardonnay RRV Alary Vineyards

Oak monster but pretty delicious.

And I'm getting sick. Hot apple cider and Maker's Mark to numb my throat and help me sleep.

cortot20

kylemittskus wrote:And I'm getting sick. Hot apple cider and Maker's Mark to numb my throat and help me sleep.

My office has a nice round of the plague going around. Thankfully I had a super mild version.

CT

tytiger58

kylemittskus wrote:And I'm getting sick. Hot apple cider and Maker's Mark to numb my throat and help me sleep.

Was just there...cider and Maker's has to be better than Nyquil.

trifecta

quality posts: 74 Private Messages trifecta

2008 Concannon Mother Vine Cabernet. Left a half bottle to try again tomorrow. Just okay. Moved on to Lagavulin scotch.

rjquillin

trifecta wrote:2008 Concannon Mother Vine Cabernet. Left a half bottle to try again tomorrow. Just okay. Moved on to Lagavulin scotch.

Another good call, right up there with the Oban, but smokey in a very good way.

CT