tytiger58

quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58

It's hot here in So.Cal 2011 Virage Rose

I must say this is a beautiful cab franc Rose from Cali. The 2010 was great this is better.

https://www.cellartracker.com/wine.asp?iWine=1338796

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

dstearl

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dstearl

2007 Rombauer Carneros Merlot

Pretty solid - half bottle from the wine shop close my hotel. Sure beats the plonk the hotel had for $9 a glass. Haven't had much Merlot lately and forgot I liked it so much.

cortot20

quality posts: 138 Private Messages cortot20

Some hot tea. I know, not very exciting.

CT

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus

2009 Michel Gassier Côtes du Rhone Villages Visan Cercius

CT is so weird to me. I disagree with so many of them about the body and feel of the wine. This wine is HUGE on the PnP. And that's coming from me who likes big ass wines. Black pepper and red fruit on the nose. Maybe a little sweet earth. Hot on the palate. Has a glycerin-sweetness from the alcohol. Red fruit. Kind of an off-balanced wine, actually. I'm not huge on this wine, which is a disappointment. I was really excited about it. 86 for my palate.

It's calmed down a bit since the PnP, but still a pretty big wine. No score change. A bit more tannin and a little less fruit.

Probably a bad pick with my salmon, but I had no idea it would be this over-the-top.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

bkarlan

quality posts: 46 Private Messages bkarlan

Nothing tonight. maybe some tea after the kiddo goes to bed. I will follow shortly

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse..." - John Stuart Mill

tytiger58

2009 Halcon Vineyards Syrah Alturas

This IMHO is a wow wine, blackberry's raspberries, pepper and meat,lots of dark fruit. Perfect balance acid and tannins grip you all the way through the delicious finish. There is alot going on in this wine, a great food wine but still very young!

Of all the babies I have killed in my drinking life (there have been many). I say that without guilt, this is one I will save some bottles for 5+ years. Glad to have more coming, thanks Kyle

kylemittskus

tytiger58 wrote:2009 Halcon Vineyards Syrah Alturas

This IMHO is a wow wine, blackberry's raspberries, pepper and meat,lots of dark fruit. Perfect balance acid and tannins grip you all the way through the delicious finish. There is alot going on in this wine, a great food wine but still very young!

Of all the babies I have killed in my drinking life (there have been many). I say that without guilt, this is one I will save some bottles for 5+ years. Glad to have more coming, thanks Kyle

Yes! I knew this wine was going to be a stunner. Glad we have more coming.

sukeiasa

quality posts: 6 Private Messages sukeiasa

couple nights ago i tried the
03 kongsgaard chard
08 sine qua non syrah
@proof in DC

came home and had
02 chateau tirecul madame cuvee
which i really enjoyed with a plate of apples... haha...

wine woot gatherings: manchego dinner, '11 cyber pub bottling, '12 cyber pub bottling, DMV #25, #26, #28, #29, #29.5, #30, NY #19, NY #20; socal #22

PTommins

quality posts: 7 Private Messages PTommins

2006 Nicholas Cole Cellars "Camille"...a Columbia Valley Bordeaux blend; 59% Merlot, 38% Cabernet Franc, 3% Cabernet Sauvignon

Garagiste Mystery Wine #18

kylemittskus

Finishing up the the Cercius.

tytiger58

2006 Idus de Vall Llach, D.O.Q. Priorat

This is a big big wine boarding but not quite over the top, good thing I am eating sausage and peppers...really quite a nice paring.

cortot20

Probably a beer after my hockey game. I'm glad to you guys actually drink what you buy, unlike sparky.

CT

mommadeb1

quality posts: 17 Private Messages mommadeb1
cortot20 wrote:Probably a beer after my hockey game. I'm glad to you guys actually drink what you buy, unlike sparky.

I have to drink what I buy... otherwise, there would be no room in the wine fridges and hubby would really not be too happy!

cortot20

It Twas.

CT

kylemittskus

Cheap Cava with pork dumplings.

bkarlan

quality posts: 46 Private Messages bkarlan

Naked Merlot during enforce and during dinner - okish

Peller Oak Aged Ice wine during a movie with the wife. - excellent in very small portions. The Cab Franc was better though.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse..." - John Stuart Mill

rjquillin

quality posts: 173 Private Messages rjquillin

Some Copploa Sante Chard from Costco with French Onion soup. Wonder if my consumption dulled my senses and helped in today's woot purchase? Naw. It's only a half bottle or so, so far... Gotta find something better tho.

CT

cortot20

Saved the other 1/2 of the 'twas I opened Friday night for tomorrow nights BBQ. Tonight my wife and I went out to shogun which is a teppan Japanese restruant where I had a saporro.

Now I'm watching the hawks and Yotes game and having a Sam Adams choc. Bock.

CT

kylemittskus

cortot20 wrote:Saved the other 1/2 of the 'twas I opened Friday night for tomorrow nights BBQ. Tonight my wife and I went out to shogun which is a teppan Japanese restruant where I had a saporro.

Now I'm watching the hawks and Yotes game and having a Sam Adams choc. Bock.

Notes on the Twas after consumption, please.

tytiger58

In the decanter 2005 Ridge Pagani Ranch Zinfandel

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316

Finished off the rest of a bottle of the Kirkland 2009 Old Vine Zin

No notes from me on CT but mine are pretty much in line with what is there. It seemed a little tight and maybe a tad too much oak. For the price, if I had the space I would buy another bottle or two and let them sit.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon

Davis family cuvée Luke with dinner

San Roman Toro 2006 to hedonistically enjoy after dinner

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

tytiger58

cmaldoon wrote:Davis family cuvée Luke with dinner

San Roman Toro 2006 to hedonistically enjoy after dinner

Sounds like another good weekend!

cortot20

kylemittskus wrote:Notes on the Twas after consumption, please.

Didn't get to it tonight. I ended up at the inlaws and let them keep their wine.
The options were a two week old 1/2 bottle of menage a trois and something that I would not even classify as wine. San Antonio Winery - Cardinale. I took a sniff and passed, it smelled like welches grape juice. When a simple sniff wasn't enough I had to taste it since my father in law couldn't figure out what was wrong with it. I said its supposed to be a sweet red but it really tasted like store bought grape juice.

So I had water, and now a sam adams alpine spring at home while I type this.

other 1/2 of Twas' tomorrow night with lasagna, its been waiting in a 375ml bottle for me.

CT

rjquillin

North316 wrote:Finished off the rest of a bottle of the Kirkland 2009 Old Vine Zin

No notes from me on CT but mine are pretty much in line with what is there. It seemed a little tight and maybe a tad too much oak. For the price, if I had the space I would buy another bottle or two and let them sit.

I'm working on finishing a bottle of this too that's been open a couple days. Not sure I'm getting all that much oak, but there sure are plenty of berries and fruit. Pleasant enough for $11.

While I was at Costco today, I happened to notice some Raymond Cab Reserve Selection in a bin. Looking more closely I noticed a 2007, and a 2008, along with the mess of 2009's. A three year Raymond vertical, from Costco! Not the best, but what the heck...

CT

cortot20

kylemittskus wrote:Notes on the Twas after consumption, please.

As promised.
Day one I poured 1/2 into a 375ml bottle and corked for another evening.
The wine was fruit forward with a bit of oak and a minor amount of vegetal/green flavor. I had had a bottle of this about 9 months ago and it seemed very similar and it seemed like the green flavors were fading but when I uncorked the second half of the bottle 3 days later the vegetal flavor seemed to come forward to dominate the wine.

The second half had some plum in the nose but was mostly a mean green streak. It went well with lasagna but was not great for sipping, so it being my last bottle I might buy more at the same price for a table wine.

CT

kylemittskus

Thanks, Cory. I bought a case with high hopes, but so far, I'm concerned and waiting.

I'm drinking some Sherry (second night). It's in a gold bottle and it is really enjoyable. Very fruit cake palate. I'm relatively new to sherry, but I am going to seek out more.

mschauber

quality posts: 40 Private Messages mschauber

2007 Tallulah "Les Troix Voix"

I know wooter's love Tallulah, but I'm having a hard time with it. Nice coloring but a touch of vinegar on the nose and a bit harsh (high acid & alc,) especially on the finish.

Same after running through Vinturi. Poured remainder into decanter and no improvement after 45 mins.

What am I missing?

--
Hey you, out there in the cold; Getting lonely, getting old; Can you feel me? - Pink Floyd/Roger Waters
My CT

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon
tytiger58 wrote:Sounds like another good weekend!

I am definitely taking it to heart to pull out all the stops when enjoying wine with the g/f. We have fun talking about it and I am loathe to open up something really good just for myself.

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

kylemittskus

2006 Lance and Windmill PS (aka: 2006 Quixote PS Stag's Leap District)

Decant people. But damn! At $15, awesome.

tytiger58

kylemittskus wrote:2006 Lance and Windmill PS (aka: 2006 Quixote PS Stag's Leap District)

+1

And can't thank you enough for the rec!

richardhod

quality posts: 261 Private Messages richardhod
tytiger58 wrote:+1

And can't thank you enough for the rec!

[yw] ;)

Schug CS 2006. Better after a couple of hours or three of air. Ripeish, but in decent ways and not hot. No amazing flavours but very competent, balanced CS with tannins a[[earing mostly integrated, and fine dark red fruit, if undistinguishedly so. Improves with time in air. woot price QPR excellent, but I haven't tried comparably-aged Pedroncelli CS to see if that's even better value.
Hold.

richardhod

kylemittskus wrote:2006 Lance and Windmill PS (aka: 2006 Quixote PS Stag's Leap District)

Took some to this amazing mountain farm at the weekend, and some blighter threw away my lat third of the bottle, poured into a glass, carefully-stashed for the next lunchtime.

richardhod

kylemittskus wrote:Thanks, Cory. I bought a case with high hopes, but so far, I'm concerned and waiting.

I'm drinking some Sherry (second night). It's in a gold bottle and it is really enjoyable. Very fruit cake palate. I'm relatively new to sherry, but I am going to seek out more.

Want to try good, dry sherry? then Old Oloroso is what you need. It's dark, and more complex. Not Oloroso, that's sweet: must be Viejo, or however the Portuguese spell it.

sukeiasa

quality posts: 6 Private Messages sukeiasa

in response to the tytanium thread yesterday,
i went home and opened a bottle of the 09...

first impression was... wow... sediment!
i think this wine is consistent with others ty's i've drunk... fruity and smooth... but i was heck tired last night and was knocked out after one glass...

will try another glass tonight and see if i can remember it better...

wine woot gatherings: manchego dinner, '11 cyber pub bottling, '12 cyber pub bottling, DMV #25, #26, #28, #29, #29.5, #30, NY #19, NY #20; socal #22

rjquillin

Home with the flu, third day.
What -should- I be drinking?

This woot-off is killing me.

CT

tytiger58

2008 Kendric Vineyards Pinot Noir

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz

Not wine, actually. Chocotinis from Dilettante Chocolates.

Wine tomorrow, though.

I'm just hanging out, really.

tytiger58

2006 Turnbull Weitz vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon

Woot purchase Oct 2010...and this is really fantastic!

kylemittskus

2010 M. Chapoutier Côtes du Roussillon Domaine de Bila-Haut