beefytaco

quality posts: 7 Private Messages beefytaco

87 Corison before the storm (delicate but still plenty of life)
excessive whiskey during the storm

___
I have two accounts- this 'anonymous' username for commenting, as well as a 'purchasing' account which is my real name. Apologies for the white box on the left.

Also, in the interest of full disclosure- I'm ITB, selling wine for a living. None of my wines have ever been featured on Woot though, so don't fear the shilling.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
tytiger58 wrote:2005 La Gerla Brunello di Montalcino

Back in business!

I have one of those. Out of the Rosso, though. Really enjoyed that stuff.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

kylemittskus

beefytaco wrote:87 Corison before the storm (delicate but still plenty of life)
excessive whiskey during the storm

But what kind of whisk(e)y?!

rjquillin

quality posts: 171 Private Messages rjquillin

2004 Meeker Kiss Ridge Cab.
Pulled this cork too early.

CT

klezman

quality posts: 121 Private Messages klezman

1999 Domaine Potinet-Ampeau Volnay 1er Cru, Clos des Chenes. Nice burg, but surprisingly youthful for a bottle of this age. I'm going to leave its partner for a few more years to see what happens. Followed it up with some Pig Stai from El Jefe. Damn that stuff is good - hope he can source the grapes again.

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

tytiger58

quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58
kylemittskus wrote:I have one of those. Out of the Rosso, though. Really enjoyed that stuff.

It is an excellent bottle of wine with years of life ahead, but the Rosso was better QPR.

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

ajrod27

quality posts: 41 Private Messages ajrod27

1999 Saint Gervais Côtes du Rhône Villages St. Gervais Syrah

beefytaco

kylemittskus wrote:But what kind of whisk(e)y?!

Powers
Was aiming for quantity, not quality

___
I have two accounts- this 'anonymous' username for commenting, as well as a 'purchasing' account which is my real name. Apologies for the white box on the left.

Also, in the interest of full disclosure- I'm ITB, selling wine for a living. None of my wines have ever been featured on Woot though, so don't fear the shilling.

jmdavidson

quality posts: 57 Private Messages jmdavidson
funbunny wrote:Last night actually. Went to a halloween party at a wine shop and bought a bottle of 2009 Marietta Petite Sirah. Wonderful with the pulled pork they served and as most PS, got better as the night went on. Also tried a glass of Robertson Pinotage. Very interesting wine, liked it though, especially with chocolate fudge.

Late to the blog...I have always enjoyed the Marietta Cellars Old Vine Red Lot (fill in the number). Most of the time they are consistently good.

jmdavidson

funbunny wrote:Last night actually. Went to a halloween party at a wine shop and bought a bottle of 2009 Marietta Petite Sirah. Wonderful with the pulled pork they served and as most PS, got better as the night went on. Also tried a glass of Robertson Pinotage. Very interesting wine, liked it though, especially with chocolate fudge.

2010 Jeff Runquist Touriga. On the pallet the wine is lively, succulent and juicy with flavors of blue black fruits. The tannins are so soft as to be nonexistent. Imagine a bowl full of black fruits drizzled with a hazelnut cream sauce. Delicious. Another very good Runquist wine.

bkarlan

quality posts: 46 Private Messages bkarlan

09 Giornata Nebbiolo with veal marsala.

birthday dinner; the only thing missing is my wife that is overseas

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse..." - John Stuart Mill

kylemittskus

2008 Torre Quarto Uva di Troia Bottaccia Puglia IGT

Only one bottle left after this. Consistently fantastic QPR.

redwinefan

quality posts: 74 Private Messages redwinefan

Foppiano 1996 Petite Sirah.

"You need to invest in a corkscrew. Wine is for drinking." -- Peter Wellington

tytiger58

2007 Tenuta Monteti Caburnio Toscana IGT

Unbelievable QPR!

tiger7610

quality posts: 17 Private Messages tiger7610

Moscato from Prejean winery located on Seneca lake, its one of their new releases.

justplainjulie

quality posts: 5 Private Messages justplainjulie

2009 St. Supery Merlot

Wow...this is even better than I remembered from the RPM Tour.

redwinefan

redwinefan wrote:Foppiano 1996 Petite Sirah.

So this is what aged PS tastes like. There is still some fruit here, but there is a nice elegance to it without it hitting you like a hammer. I say if you went on these, it is time to drink up. I'll pop the 1995 next week.

rjquillin

justplainjulie wrote:2009 St. Supery Merlot

Wow...this is even better than I remembered from the RPM Tour.

I'm working on a 2006 St. Supery Cab this evening, and yes, they deliver some good QPR. Glad for the introduction on the tour.

CT

rjquillin

redwinefan wrote:So this is what aged PS tastes like. There is still some fruit here, but there is a nice elegance to it without it hitting you like a hammer. I say if you went on these, it is time to drink up. I'll pop the 1995 next week.

Is this the 96 we got on tour, or the WW estate offering?

CT

jmdavidson

redwinefan wrote:So this is what aged PS tastes like. There is still some fruit here, but there is a nice elegance to it without it hitting you like a hammer. I say if you went on these, it is time to drink up. I'll pop the 1995 next week.

I was holding out and looking for a good reason to open the 95/96/97/98. Sounds like this vertical tasting should be sooner rather than later.

redwinefan

rjquillin wrote:Is this the 96 we got on tour, or the WW estate offering?

This is the one from the tour. I didn't realize they offered a different one on Woot. It says "Estate Bottled" and Russian River Valley on the bottle.

beefytaco

Continuing the week of interesting Sandy-induced wine drinking...

A fantastic restaurant near our apartment, Buttermilk Channel, hosts a no-corkage Tuesday, and they encourage you to break out your special occasion bottles.
With their duck meatloaf, we opened a cool 1993 single-vineyard Barolo, which was still rocking fresh acidity to match it's aged leathery deliciousness.
Tonight, we've got friends coming up for roasted chicken. Pregaming with some sort of strange - naturally fermented "prosecco" imported by dressner - cidery, cloudy, frivolous, fun.
With dinner? Probably an old 2001 CdP blanc that I've been meaning to try.
My cellar's "value" is vastly diminishing, but I'm making sure that this week is fun!

___

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg

Found some really nice fresh wild-caught tuna steaks. a bit of 5-spice powder, chili powder, salt and pepper, sesame seeds. Sear a couple of minutes on each side, slice it and drizzle with orange oil. Some fresh broccoli, orzo with Romano cheese. The perfect accompaniment: 2007 Mario Perelli-Minetti Sonoma Coast Pinot Noir. This is one of the nicest wines (not just the nicest PN) we've had in some time. Just a hint of PN funk on the nose, full of ripe dark fruit, plums, dark cherries, not a hint of heat. Really glad there's more in the cellar.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

papamochi

quality posts: 1 Private Messages papamochi

Had an 03 doyenne and 06 yalumba syrah the other night....both were spectacular

FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIEND DRINK WHITE ZINFANDEL!

rjquillin

ddeuddeg wrote:Found some really nice fresh wild-caught tuna steaks. a bit of 5-spice powder, chili powder, salt and pepper, sesame seeds. Sear a couple of minutes on each side, slice it and drizzle with orange oil. Some fresh broccoli, orzo with Romano cheese. The perfect accompaniment: 2007 Mario Perelli-Minetti Sonoma Coast Pinot Noir. This is one of the nicest wines (not just the nicest PN) we've had in some time. Just a hint of PN funk on the nose, full of ripe dark fruit, plums, dark cherries, not a hint of heat. Really glad there's more in the cellar.

+1 to the MPM. Should'a gotten a case.

CT

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg
rjquillin wrote:+1 to the MPM. Should'a gotten a case.

Roger that. Only got 4.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

tytiger58

2009 Uvaggio Moscato Secco Bella Vigna Vineyard

Starting early...I think this was 8 or 9 dollars and by a long shot the best Moscato I have ever had! Great deal!

cortot20

quality posts: 137 Private Messages cortot20

Opened a tri - 3 and the cycles gladiator zin.
The tri-3 was an off bottle and had a heavier mouth feel than the other bottles we have had.

The cycles zin was just not good. Flat, fruit in the nose not much overall flavor. Last budget bottle I buy from woot.

CT

kylemittskus

Stone Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale

kylemittskus

2009 Xavier Vignon Côtes du Rhône Xavier

tytiger58

2005 Falesco Marciliano Umbria IGT

Delicious!

karenhynes

quality posts: 10 Private Messages karenhynes

2011 Gauchezco Torrontés

Wine is bottled poetry - Robert Louis Stevenson

otolith

quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith

Southern Tier Brewing
Creme Brulee Imperial Stout

This beer is ridiculously good. Nose is of creme brulee. Seriously. Toasted caramel/malt goodness. No hoppiness to me, and there's really no bitterness to it.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

jmdavidson

tytiger58 wrote:2005 Falesco Marciliano Umbria IGT

Delicious!

Jealous of your having this one...from whom did you purchase this?

kylemittskus

otolith wrote:Southern Tier Brewing
Creme Brulee Imperial Stout

This beer is ridiculously good. Nose is of creme brulee. Seriously. Toasted caramel/malt goodness. No hoppiness to me, and there's really no bitterness to it.

That sounds absolutely AMAZING. I wonder if they have distribution all the way out here...

tytiger58

jmdavidson wrote:Jealous of your having this one...from whom did you purchase this?

Empire had them for 23.95 ship 4 for free.

neilfindswine

quality posts: 170 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

2009 Line Shack Syrah. Pretty solid for an $18 bottle.

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

otolith

quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith
kylemittskus wrote:That sounds absolutely AMAZING. I wonder if they have distribution all the way out here...

It is Sofa King amazing!

I couldn't find it locally, but did find it on a family vacation and brought some back home. I have an acquaintance in Detroit who was ready to send me some.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

rjquillin

Domenico 2001 Syrah.
Liking the older, if you can say that about a 2001, stuff.

CT

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon

2001 ardente cab sauv. Holy flaming bag woot scored on this one. $20 for a pretty damned good aged cab.

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar