kylemittskus

quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus

At the in-laws'. 2009 Cupcake CS. Pretty bleck. Now, hot cider with Maker's Mark. Pretty yum.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

bkarlan

quality posts: 46 Private Messages bkarlan

Kiddo went to bed early. Finished off the last of my 09 Keller Estates Syrah bottles. No more left, so sad

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse..." - John Stuart Mill

schaeferr

quality posts: 7 Private Messages schaeferr
chemvictim wrote:I went there a few years ago. Long story short, it was a beautiful place, I liked the wines, but I thought they were way overpriced. I think I've seen them on WTSO once or twice since then.

That's fair. I bought the wine when I was out at a restaurant, so I was unsure of what the "actual" retail price point was (and I agree that the winery website's prices are pretty outrageous). Thanks for chiming in about WTSO. I'll have to keep an eye peeled over there.

otolith

quality posts: 24 Private Messages otolith

2004 Ampeleia Maremma Toscana IGT

Deep ruby in color. Sour cherry/raspberry on the nose, that carries over to the palate. Medium bodied, acidity and tannins are nicely integrated. A nice bottle of wine that is certainly fresh in character to me.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

kylemittskus

2011 Kirkland Napa Valley Chardonnay

And maybe 2009 Henry Fessy Fleurie (Beaujolais)

tytiger58

quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58

Gonna be a long weekend, NyQuil and water...blech!

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

karenhynes

quality posts: 11 Private Messages karenhynes
karenhynes wrote:2006 Cornerstone Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon (Napa Valley)

Leftovers.

Wine is bottled poetry - Robert Louis Stevenson

InFrom

quality posts: 33 Private Messages InFrom

I'm looking at the Bi Du red blend from Pomo Nation, 2007. Haven't cracked the seal on the screw-top yet. Very soon.

karenhynes

tytiger58 wrote:Gonna be a long weekend, NyQuil and water...blech!

That doesn't sound like much fun. Hope you feel better soon!

kylemittskus

tytiger58 wrote:Gonna be a long weekend, NyQuil and water...blech!

NyQuil + vodka and you may have something there.

rjquillin

quality posts: 182 Private Messages rjquillin

Finishing off the 2010 Wellington Roussanne. Need to give Toby a call.

CT

cortot20

quality posts: 158 Private Messages cortot20
kylemittskus wrote:NyQuil + vodka and you may have something there.

Grab some bottles of Adam carrollas Mangria for a similar effect. 20% ABV.

CT

cortot20

Tonight BBQing at the parents house so probably the 09' Bogle Phantom.

+ whatever my wife wants.

CT

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 32 Private Messages ddeuddeg
rjquillin wrote:Finishing off the 2010 Wellington Roussanne. Need to give Toby a call.

Looks like we'll be drinking a Wellington Roussanne tonight, with that pork tenderloin dish I suggested earlier. Thought I should try out that combo to see if my instincts are as good as I think.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

justplainjulie

quality posts: 5 Private Messages justplainjulie

2008 Roessler Pinot Noir Bluejay.

Very dark for a pinot, lots of fruit. We can detect a slight hint of smokiness, but it's not unpleasant. I would say this probably won't get much better with age.

mommadeb1

quality posts: 18 Private Messages mommadeb1
rjquillin wrote:Well, I don't do cauliflower, if that's any consultation.

I like cauliflower

dstearl

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dstearl
mommadeb1 wrote:I like cauliflower

2009 Quinta do Crasto Douro Reserva Old Vines

Quite nice actually, probably should have a waited a year or two, but had to try one. Very well balanced and interesting, liking it bunches right now

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 187 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

SoCal WW Gathering on Oct. 27th.

We had a Triacep III (nice), 2008 PoiZin (opened nicely after an hour), August Ridge 2006 Paso Robles Sangiovese (from WD, not bad), some semi-sweet Red Wine from Georgia (the country), a 1990 Corison Cab (not Kronos), and a Laura's Theme dessert wine.

There were other wines, whose names were changed to protect the guilty.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

Cesare

quality posts: 1674 Private Messages Cesare

1996 Seghesio Ommagio tonight. Really great! Barbera, Sangiovese, Merlot and Cabernet Sauvignon, held up nicely all this time.

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

pcuccaro

quality posts: 8 Private Messages pcuccaro
justplainjulie wrote:2008 Roessler Pinot Noir Bluejay.

Very dark for a pinot, lots of fruit. We can detect a slight hint of smokiness, but it's not unpleasant. I would say this probably won't get much better with age.

Drank one of my last bottles about a month ago and it had completely changed character from when I first opened one. These are definitely drink now. A very pleasant wine at this point.

Fill your glass when it is empty, empty it when it is full, never leave it empty, never leave it full.
Italian proverb

canonizer

quality posts: 22 Private Messages canonizer
Cesare wrote:1996 Seghesio Ommagio tonight. Really great! Barbera, Sangiovese, Merlot and Cabernet Sauvignon, held up nicely all this time.

winebid hooch? mine's all gone. tonight could be a good night for a nicer bottle...use it or lose it!

signed.

beefytaco

quality posts: 7 Private Messages beefytaco

Hurricane party! As we'll be rained in for a few days, I see no reason NOT to open up some top bottles.

___
I have two accounts- this 'anonymous' username for commenting, as well as a 'purchasing' account which is my real name. Apologies for the white box on the left.

Also, in the interest of full disclosure- I'm ITB, selling wine for a living. None of my wines have ever been featured on Woot though, so don't fear the shilling.

funbunny

quality posts: 26 Private Messages funbunny

Last night actually. Went to a halloween party at a wine shop and bought a bottle of 2009 Marietta Petite Sirah. Wonderful with the pulled pork they served and as most PS, got better as the night went on. Also tried a glass of Robertson Pinotage. Very interesting wine, liked it though, especially with chocolate fudge.

"Wine is sunshine held together by water" - Galileo Galilei

Cesare

canonizer wrote:winebid hooch? mine's all gone. tonight could be a good night for a nicer bottle...use it or lose it!

beefytaco wrote:Hurricane party! As we'll be rained in for a few days, I see no reason NOT to open up some top bottles.

Acker actually. Yep, going for an older Corison tonight with some ribeyes. Might as well start clearing out the freezer just in case!

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

chipgreen

quality posts: 202 Private Messages chipgreen
cortot20 wrote:Grab some bottles of Adam carrollas Mangria for a similar effect. 20% ABV.

Nyquil is 25% unless they changed the formula in recent years

chipgreen

quality posts: 202 Private Messages chipgreen

Halloween party last night, so I brought along a 2009 PoiZin and a 2010 Antidote (Pinot Gris).

Still not one of my favorite Zins but I enjoyed it a bit more than the previous bottle I drank. I'd give it an 84-85. Got 3 thumbs up and 1 thumbs down from the crowd.

I didn't drink any of the Antidote but got 1 thumbs up and 1 thumbs down on that one.

beefytaco

Cesare wrote:Acker actually. Yep, going for an older Corison tonight with some ribeyes. Might as well start clearing out the freezer just in case!

Hah! I was eyeing my 1987 and 1989 Corisons as well. A big pot of veg chili is simmering away, a fresh-baked loaf of bread smells amazing, and a bottle of whiskey have me buoyed right now. NY1 finally has me nervous.

___
I have two accounts- this 'anonymous' username for commenting, as well as a 'purchasing' account which is my real name. Apologies for the white box on the left.

Also, in the interest of full disclosure- I'm ITB, selling wine for a living. None of my wines have ever been featured on Woot though, so don't fear the shilling.

beefytaco

After further deliberation, I wanted a Rhone for my chili. Grenache seems like a natural fit.
Opened up a bottle that I've been looking forward to getting to:
https://www.cellartracker.com/wine.asp?iWine=1336281
Minerally, juicy, ancient vine Rousillon. I look forward to seeing how this opens up, and might pick up a few more bottles at <$15.

___

Cesare

beefytaco wrote:Hah! I was eyeing my 1987 and 1989 Corisons as well. A big pot of veg chili is simmering away, a fresh-baked loaf of bread smells amazing, and a bottle of whiskey have me buoyed right now. NY1 finally has me nervous.

Went with a 1992. Wow.. better than I expected. Dark, funky, aged but still alive! High acid, low alc- good with food.

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple

cortot20

03' McClean Syrah with BBQ Chicken and grilled corn.

Yes it remains BBQ weather here in socal.

CT

bkarlan

2008 Naked Winery Penetration Cab with some homemade vegetable and rotisserie chicken heavy chicken noodle soup.

Decanted 2hrs to get to proper drinking level (for me)

At $30 a bottle there are MUCH better options out there. I would say this is an excellent $15-$20 bottle.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse..." - John Stuart Mill

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22

Had a Barolo that Cesare recommended from cellar with veal osso bucco. Great meal. (Thanks again Cesare.)

Now we are sipping an ice cider from Vermont with apple caramel cake. Who gives a sh** about Sandy?

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

canonizer

quality posts: 22 Private Messages canonizer
Cesare wrote:Went with a 1992. Wow.. better than I expected. Dark, funky, aged but still alive! High acid, low alc- good with food.

I went with 2000 and it was great. Not sure it's going to do much better with age. Tanins receding, nice bouquet. Could do worse!

Now for some nor'easters (i don't have the ingredients for hurricanes)

signed.

kylemittskus

polarbear22 wrote:Had a Barolo that Cesare recommended from cellar with veal osso bucco. Great meal. (Thanks again Cesare.)

Now we are sipping an ice cider from Vermont with apple caramel cake. Who gives a sh** about Sandy?

I love Barolo. And as time passes, I love it more.

InFrom

quality posts: 33 Private Messages InFrom

Found a bottle of the Truchard tempranillo tonight, in a box under the dining table -- yes, I know I need a fridge. It was an '03.

First pour, about an hour after opening, was disappointing. It looked ok, but tasted a little oxidized. But after a few crackers w/ hummus, and some decanting, it was great. Picked it to go with this chicken with delicata squash recipe. Got the squash at the farmer's market this morning. The weather was still calm, and everything looked normal, but everybody was talking about the coming storm.

The pairing worked, the chicken was great, and the wine had alcohol in it. Oh, and my office is closed tomorrow. Life is good. Now everybody stay safe.

kylemittskus

2012 Chateau d' Abalone Verdejo

bkarlan

2007 Wellington Cab Franc tonight. Pretty awesome cab franc if I may say so myself.

Tomorrow I have a nice Italian wine planned for an Italian dinner I am ordering in. Wife is out of the country again.

tytiger58

quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58

2005 La Gerla Brunello di Montalcino

Back in business!

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

jmdavidson

quality posts: 58 Private Messages jmdavidson

2007 Botrugno Ottavianello Rosso Salento IGT and 2009 White Cottage Estate Risa Cabernet Sauvignon (Howell Mountain). Both delicious.

EDIT: cmaldoon, I think you had mentioned elsewhere that you also bought the Risa. If you haven't tried it already, you won't be disappointed when you do.

karenhynes

jmdavidson wrote:2007 Botrugno Ottavianello Rosso Salento IGT and 2009 White Cottage Estate Risa Cabernet Sauvignon (Howell Mountain). Both delicious.

I'm on my way over!!!