klezman

quality posts: 130 Private Messages klezman

Last night I opened a 2006 Twisted Oak Tempranillo. El Jefe makes great wines. Deep, plum (but not overripe), spice, and earth. I wouldn't mistake it for a Rioja but quite enjoyable and it's got plenty of time left on it.

2014: 42 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2012 Iron Horse Estate Chardonnay
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

kylemittskus

quality posts: 232 Private Messages kylemittskus
kylemittskus wrote:2007 I Giusti & Zanza Dulcamara Toscana IGT

With gnocchi and meatballs in vodka sauce with mushrooms.

Postponed until tomorrow night.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

rjquillin

quality posts: 183 Private Messages rjquillin
cmaldoon wrote:Ok, I completed the post of all the wines, look above!

Great notes, sorry to be so far away an not able to attend and contribute.

CT

neilfindswine

quality posts: 173 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

09 Spann Vineyards Mourvèdre. Just what I needed this eve'. Along with salmon and veggies grilled in a smoker bag.

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

tytiger58

quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58
neilfindswine wrote:09 Spann Vineyards Mourvèdre. Just what I needed this eve'. Along with salmon and veggies grilled in a smoker bag.

I would love to have that recipe!

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon

Nothing tonight, the gal had to drive and was still a bit over wine from Friday night.

But....I managed to snag a bottle of 1995 Marlestone on winebid for $18. Almost a decade younger of my favorite wine from Friday.

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

cortot20

quality posts: 159 Private Messages cortot20

Cycles Gladiator 10' cab.
Wellington Duke

Both are budget bottles but were fine with lasagna and garlic bread, the duke being the more interesting of the two wines but not by much.

Actually had a 1/2 bottle of each left over and just blended them together recorked and threw it in the fridge. I now its sacrilegious.

For my bday I got a larger wine fridge from the inlaws so now I can move about 50+ bottles out of the baby's closet.

CT

neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

tytiger58 wrote:I would love to have that recipe!

Honestly, such a non-recipie. The wife bought me these foil 'smoker bags' from Williams Sonoma or somewhere like that.

Chopped up some potatoes and carrots, threw them in along with some scallions. Took a nice salmon filet and coated it with olive oil, added some lemon salt/seafood spice. Placed the fish on top of the veggies in the bag. Also included some cremini mushrooms and sweet peppers, both stuffed with Krab and parmesan cheese. Closed the bag, threw it on the hot grill.

Grilled for 15-20 minutes on med/high heat while finishing up a 1/3 bottle of Radog riesling and watching the Sonoma sunset.

Pulled it off, cut the bag, served along with the aforementioned Mourvedre, and voila.

cortot20

quality posts: 159 Private Messages cortot20

10' Roth SB. And the remaining of my cycles gladiator Cabernet and duke mix.

CT

otolith

quality posts: 24 Private Messages otolith

Had a 2006 Bodegas Bernabé Navarro Alicante Beryna on Friday night. An excellent bottle of wine! One of the scores from the garagiste mystery wine series. Full bodied wine, deep & complex, that really surprised me. Wasn't expecting much from it, as I didn't know anything about it, and it was great!

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

tytiger58

neilfindswine wrote:Honestly, such a non-recipie. The wife bought me these foil 'smoker bags' from Williams Sonoma or somewhere like that.

Chopped up some potatoes and carrots, threw them in along with some scallions. Took a nice salmon filet and coated it with olive oil, added some lemon salt/seafood spice. Placed the fish on top of the veggies in the bag. Also included some cremini mushrooms and sweet peppers, both stuffed with Krab and parmesan cheese. Closed the bag, threw it on the hot grill.

Grilled for 15-20 minutes on med/high heat while finishing up a 1/3 bottle of Radog riesling and watching the Sonoma sunset.

Pulled it off, cut the bag, served along with the aforementioned Mourvedre, and voila.

Thanks! I will keep an eye out for those bags.

trifecta

quality posts: 74 Private Messages trifecta
cmaldoon wrote:Nothing tonight, the gal had to drive and was still a bit over wine from Friday night.

But....I managed to snag a bottle of 1995 Marlestone on winebid for $18. Almost a decade younger of my favorite wine from Friday.

Make sure to let me know how it is. Different winemaker, but most likely the same vineyards. Thanks again for hosting!

trifecta

quality posts: 74 Private Messages trifecta

2007 Vino Noceto Sangiovese Riserva while having bday dinner at Mio Vicino.

bkarlan

quality posts: 46 Private Messages bkarlan

1997 Ardente Estate Winery Library Cab with homemade brunswick stew from scratch. Wonderful wine, good food, great friends. Finished the night off with some Apple Eiswein straight from Germany.

Such a better night than last night when I found out my little one was allergic to crab. Boy that was a crappy evening.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse..." - John Stuart Mill

bsevern

quality posts: 110 Private Messages bsevern

Was in an experimentive mood tonight, so I made Spaghetti squash lasagna, served with 2008 Gregory Graham Cinder Cone Red Hills Lake County. A blend of syrah, cab, malbec, and grenache grown in red volcanic soils 2,000 ft above sea level. Great wine, could absolutely use a longer decant, or several more years in the bottle, but it's opening up nicely, the Spaghetti squash lasagna came out awesome, pairing nicely with the wine.

tytiger58

bsevern wrote:Was in an experimentive mood tonight, so I made Spaghetti squash lasagna, served with 2008 Gregory Graham Cinder Cone Red Hills Lake County. A blend of syrah, cab, malbec, and grenache grown in red volcanic soils 2,000 ft above sea level. Great wine, could absolutely use a longer decant, or several more years in the bottle, but it's opening up nicely, the Spaghetti squash lasagna came out awesome, pairing nicely with the wine.

I have had a few really good wines from Lake County, but that blend sounds....well interesting to say the least!

tytiger58

Kind of having a Kyle night

1st bottle Cabot Kimberly's Syrah=corked.

2nd bottle Broc grenache =corked

3rd bottle 2007 Twisted Oak Spaniard= a GREAT BOTTLE OF WINE

redwinefan

quality posts: 74 Private Messages redwinefan

2009 Twisted Oak Tempranillo Sheep Shack Vineyard. Nice job El Jefe.

"You need to invest in a corkscrew. Wine is for drinking." -- Peter Wellington

tytiger58

2006 Flowers Sonoma Coast Pinot

justplainjulie

quality posts: 5 Private Messages justplainjulie

2006 Lang Barbera

I'm liking this for a California-style barbera. Still think I like Scott Harvey's version better, but I would probably buy this again.

kylemittskus

Finally got around to drinking

2007 I Giusti & Zanza Dulcamara Toscana IGT

This wine is from Italy and there is no doubt about that from the nose or the palate. Delicious.

rjquillin

2007 Lange Tempranillo Domaine Trouvere.
Forgot how much I like a Tempe. Went well with some broiled salmon, brussels sprouts and a pilaf.

CT

kylemittskus

rjquillin wrote:2007 Lange Tempranillo Domaine Trouvere.
Forgot how much I like a Tempe. Went well with some broiled salmon, brussels sprouts and a pilaf.

What's up with you people and brussel sprouts?! You and PB have both eaten them in the past week. Bleck!

rjquillin

kylemittskus wrote:What's up with you people and brussel sprouts?! You and PB have both eaten them in the past week. Bleck!

These were wonderful. Had to cut 'em off the stalk, a bit of oil, S&P and under the broiler with the salmon. Brussels sprouts and broccoli rock!

CT

tytiger58

kylemittskus wrote:Finally got around to drinking

2007 I Giusti & Zanza Dulcamara Toscana IGT

This wine is from Italy and there is no doubt about that from the nose or the palate. Delicious.

Great to hear I bought more than usual on the blind

kylemittskus

tytiger58 wrote:Great to hear I bought more than usual on the blind

Decant. It's tight as hell on the PnP. It opens into a really nice ST, though.

cmaldoon

Tonight.... Was a night of wines better on their second or third night.

Bright green and I opened a bottle of cuvée Luke from Davis family vineyards and it was tasty but not overly so though she liked it. We also had the remains of 2008 cornerstone cab stepping stone (their lower end offering) opened yesterday and kept on vac overnight. Very balanced with a longer finish tonight. We also had the last glass of Bogle Phantom 2009 which tasted pretty decent 2 nights ago, kinda fruity and koolaid ish grapey last night and then really bloomed with an oaky vanilla finish balancing the fruit tonight.

Really odd, all quite good.

My Cellar

klezman

tytiger58 wrote:2006 Flowers Sonoma Coast Pinot

Tell me more...I met their marketing rep on the plane a while back.

2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

klezman

Last night went to Chez Maman for a very late dinner after United allowed us to get to SFO. Picpoul for the first and Pouilly Fuissee for the second glass. So different, but both tasty. They served the white Burg way too cold, though. Went well with mussels and croque madame.

tytiger58

klezman wrote:Tell me more...I met their marketing rep on the plane a while back.

It was you telling me that when we traded wine that piqued my interest again in Flowers, so I bought a couple of bottles from Winebid to try.

The fruit is beautiful pure raspberry/cherry comes in waves , and very restrained, tannin in perfect harmony the way I like Pinot, but there was a problem...the acid is overwhelming and I like good acid but this was to much. Maybe it could use a few more years to calm down/bad bottle I don't know? but I wold not pay retail for this bottle as it stands now.

I have one more bottle from a different vineyard I will let you know how that goes.

klezman

tytiger58 wrote:It was you telling me that when we traded wine that piqued my interest again in Flowers, so I bought a couple of bottles from Winebid to try.

The fruit is beautiful pure raspberry/cherry comes in waves , and very restrained, tannin in perfect harmony the way I like Pinot, but there was a problem...the acid is overwhelming and I like good acid but this was to much. Maybe it could use a few more years to calm down/bad bottle I don't know? but I wold not pay retail for this bottle as it stands now.

I have one more bottle from a different vineyard I will let you know how that goes.

Nice...thanks for the notes. I'm not sure how our appetites compare for acid content, but it's a nice start. I nearly bought the winebid bottles you grabbed

cmaldoon

I will be drinking wine tonight...... What varietals and wineries, I have no clue, but I'm sure some will be quite tasty and the company will be pleasant.

More of you should be at the open house. Especially those in the area!

My Cellar

neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

cmaldoon wrote:I will be drinking wine tonight...... What varietals and wineries, I have no clue, but I'm sure some will be quite tasty and the company will be pleasant.

...quite a few methinks.

schaeferr

quality posts: 7 Private Messages schaeferr

Has anyone had wine from the Black Stallion Winery in Napa? My wife and I purchased a bottle of their 2010 Cabernet at a restaurant the other day and were totally blown away. It was phenomenal.

I looked for it in our local stores (in Houston, TX), but couldn't find it. I've had very little luck finding it elsewhere on the internet, except from their website (where, confusingly, the 2010 Cab. is not available).

I'm relatively new to Wine.Woot, has Woot ever sold any offerings from this winery? Anyone else on this board had experience with this winery?

karenhynes

quality posts: 11 Private Messages karenhynes

2006 Cornerstone Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon (Napa Valley)

Wine is bottled poetry - Robert Louis Stevenson

kylemittskus

schaeferr wrote:Has anyone had wine from the Black Stallion Winery in Napa? My wife and I purchased a bottle of their 2010 Cabernet at a restaurant the other day and were totally blown away. It was phenomenal.

I looked for it in our local stores (in Houston, TX), but couldn't find it. I've had very little luck finding it elsewhere on the internet, except from their website (where, confusingly, the 2010 Cab. is not available).

I'm relatively new to Wine.Woot, has Woot ever sold any offerings from this winery? Anyone else on this board had experience with this winery?

They have not been on W.W., but Sparky has been there it seems. http://wine.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=3618520&pageindex=7&replycount=284#post3799741

Sorry. I'm on my phone or I'd like it.

mommadeb1

quality posts: 18 Private Messages mommadeb1
rjquillin wrote:These were wonderful. Had to cut 'em off the stalk, a bit of oil, S&P and under the broiler with the salmon. Brussels sprouts and broccoli rock!

broccoli...yes....Brussels sprouts....NOPE....super yuck!!

chemvictim

quality posts: 3 Private Messages chemvictim
schaeferr wrote:Has anyone had wine from the Black Stallion Winery in Napa? My wife and I purchased a bottle of their 2010 Cabernet at a restaurant the other day and were totally blown away. It was phenomenal.

I went there a few years ago. Long story short, it was a beautiful place, I liked the wines, but I thought they were way overpriced. I think I've seen them on WTSO once or twice since then.

rjquillin

mommadeb1 wrote:broccoli...yes....Brussels sprouts....NOPE....super yuck!!

Well, I don't do cauliflower, if that's any consultation.

CT

chemvictim

quality posts: 3 Private Messages chemvictim
mommadeb1 wrote:broccoli...yes....Brussels sprouts....NOPE....super yuck!!

Agreed! Smaller, cuter, version of cabbage, but just as gross.