kylemittskus


quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus

2009 Turley Zinfandel Pesenti Vineyard

with MNF, burgers, and sweet potato fries

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

tytiger58


quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58

2010 Andrew Will Cab Franc...wow this is good!

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson




cortot20


quality posts: 144 Private Messages cortot20

With Mnf and a couple of birthdays we opened
2011 WC f-bomb
2005 Wellington Victory

CT

tytiger58


quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58
cortot20 wrote:With Mnf and a couple of birthdays we opened
2011 WC f-bomb
2005 Wellington Victory



How is that Victory drinking?? Been eyeballing those lately.

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson




chemvictim


quality posts: 3 Private Messages chemvictim

Tasi Merlot with steak sandwiches and truffle fries.

rjquillin


quality posts: 174 Private Messages rjquillin

Steak, taters, greens and
2007 Gérard Bertrand Côtes du Roussillon Villages Tautavel Grand Terroir

CT

cortot20


quality posts: 144 Private Messages cortot20
tytiger58 wrote:How is that Victory drinking?? Been eyeballing those lately.



The 05 was still drinking young. Wonderful fruit and silky smooth. Bummed I only had 1.

CT

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 181 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
cortot20 wrote:The 05 was still drinking young. Wonderful fruit and silky smooth. Bummed I only had 1.



If only you knew someone who had more.

Now if only someone had been nice to me.


Edit: And CT does show 2013 for a start drinking year. Murderer!!


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

JOATMON


quality posts: 19 Private Messages JOATMON
klezman wrote:That's the one. I wish I had time to properly explore it. At Jungmun beach, which is too far from the awesome crater or volcano for my spare time.



For all the times I've been to Korea, and all the effort I've put in pushing the place for a meeting, I have never been.

For the rest of you, Jeju island is off the southern tip of Korea, and has been compared to Hawaii. Mostly a resort island, although it has been used for technology trials.

Juvie: 30+24+4; Sellout: 6+7+0
Rags: 3+2+3
Drunk: 69+94+15 wine, 20+29+4 non-wine
Rugrat: 0+0+0; Refunded: 2+3+1
(as of 2011-03-02)

wkdpanda


quality posts: 10 Private Messages wkdpanda

Had a bottle of the '07 Boss Monster last night. Its drinking really well, and probably won't get much better. Nice nose, cherry pie filling on the middle, with a bit of tobacco and a hint of vanilla at the end. Took about 30 min to open up.

----------------
Andy the Wicked Panda

cortot20


quality posts: 144 Private Messages cortot20
MarkDaSpark wrote:If only you knew someone who had more.

Now if only someone had been nice to me.


Edit: And CT does show 2013 for a start drinking year. Murderer!!



Yup. I murdered that bottle.
Plus the ct drinking window is a community average so it's basically a wild ass guess.

Thanks for offering to sell them to me. the only way to make room for more wine is to sell it off since you don't drink it.
I'll buy 2 of the 05's off you for the woot price if that's where you got them. Otherwise never mind.

CT

tytiger58


quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58

2011 Herencia Altes Terra Alta Garnacha

A steal at 9 bones... plenty of fruit so if your looking for dirt and leather you might not like this, good acid brings out the mineral backbone. Really outstanding with bbq sauce.

Have not been very lucky with daily drinkers lately but this is nice!

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson




cmaldoon


quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon

1997 Ardente cab sauv

Yep, the one that was up a week ago and arrived today ( I don't really believe in this whole shipping messing up the wine business and have no issue with a bit of sediment stirred up)

I figured this one would get myself and the +1 in the right mood for this Friday's NorCal old wine gathering.

Color: Deep Brick with good clarity aside from bits of sediment ( didn't do the greatest job decanting) nothing unexpected here

Nose: moderate to aromatic, aged. Sandalwood, hints of sage and cedar, persimmon, and cherry

Palate: Dry with medium body. Fresh acidity and low to moderate drying tannins. Good balance and moderate flavor intensity. Flavors of (his: cherry, cooked green bean or asparagus, soy/chocolate) (hers: Mediterranean mix: sundried tomatoes, black olive, a touch of fig)

Finish: medium.

Overall:
Was this a mind blowing wine? No.
Was it a solid aged napa cab? Yep
Did WD source it for us for $20? Yep
Is that pretty amazing? Yep

This was a very solid cab at 15 years. There are both fruit and secondary flavors going on here. A great intro to aged cab.

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

rjquillin


quality posts: 174 Private Messages rjquillin

2010 Wellington Vineyards Roussanne; how is it I've not had this varietal before, at least that I can recall. No idea what to expect, but quite tasty, good balance, full silky mouth-feel with a bit of wood, fruits I'm not sure how to describe yet but will work on. A great surprise from a club shipment.
What is this normally paired with?

CT

cortot20


quality posts: 144 Private Messages cortot20
rjquillin wrote:2010 Wellington Vineyards Roussanne; how is it I've not had this varietal before, at least that I can recall. No idea what to expect, but quite tasty, good balance, full silky mouth-feel with a bit of wood, fruits I'm not sure how to describe yet but will work on. A great surprise from a club shipment.
What is this normally paired with?



It's best paired with pears.

CT

cmaldoon


quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon

Tonight we started with Wellington's The Duke!!

With much fanfare we (+1 and I) opened the bottle CAGirl so kindly gifted us. We poured with great anticipation, and smelled...and sipped...and..... This was the first bottle of Wellington I have not liked. Not just not liked, but really found unpleasant. It tastes incredibly commercial (a flavor I get off of a lot of cheap wines). I own about 30 bottles of Wellington and in general love them.... But Peter should keep his day job of making his Victory reserve that I will buy at $30 or $40 or even $50 any day rather than drink this Duke.

The girlfriend summed it up best when she said: "Can we have some real wine now?"

We moved onto a bottle of St Supery Unoaked Chardonnay. Now THIS wine was firing on all cylinders. The nose was vibrant with notes of grapefruit and nectarine. Quite well concentrated. The palate solidly backed up the promise of the nose with more nectarine and grapefruit, a touch of papaya, and a hint of lime and honey. Beautifully drinkable and well-rounded, this wine might be (poetically) described as "summer in a glass."

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

trifecta


quality posts: 72 Private Messages trifecta

2006 Hawley Estate Merlot.

To quote a fellow Wooter, "it's a baby". Decanted for four hours to get this wine to start showing itself. A simply delicious example of old world merlot. In a few years the tannins will smooth out and make it even better. Ridiculous QPR resulting from California turning their backs on Merlot. Their loss, my gain.

cortot20


quality posts: 144 Private Messages cortot20
cmaldoon wrote:Tonight we started with Wellington's The Duke!!

With much fanfare we (+1 and I) opened the bottle CAGirl so kindly gifted us. We poured with great anticipation, and smelled...and sipped...and..... This was the first bottle of Wellington I have not liked. Not just not liked, but really found unpleasant. It tastes incredibly commercial (a flavor I get off of a lot of cheap wines). I own about 30 bottles of Wellington and in general love them.... But Peter should keep his day job of making his Victory reserve that I will buy at $30 or $40 or even $50 any day rather than drink this Duke.

The girlfriend summed it up best when she said: "Can we have some real wine now?"

We moved onto a bottle of St Supery Unoaked Chardonnay. Now THIS wine was firing on all cylinders. The nose was vibrant with notes of grapefruit and nectarine. Quite well concentrated. The palate solidly backed up the promise of the nose with more nectarine and grapefruit, a touch of papaya, and a hint of lime and honey. Beautifully drinkable and well-rounded, this wine might be (poetically) described as "summer in a glass."



I have not had this years duke but the two prior years were as I think of it a damn good table wine for $8. I don't think it's considered to be any more than this.

CT

trifecta


quality posts: 72 Private Messages trifecta
cmaldoon wrote:Tonight we started with Wellington's The Duke!!

With much fanfare we (+1 and I) opened the bottle CAGirl so kindly gifted us. We poured with great anticipation, and smelled...and sipped...and..... This was the first bottle of Wellington I have not liked. Not just not liked, but really found unpleasant. It tastes incredibly commercial (a flavor I get off of a lot of cheap wines). I own about 30 bottles of Wellington and in general love them.... But Peter should keep his day job of making his Victory reserve that I will buy at $30 or $40 or even $50 any day rather than drink this Duke.



I had a similar experience when I tried it at our dinner in Glen Ellen after our day of tasting. Others seemed to like it, so I stayed quiet and thought maybe I was just palate fatigued.

kylemittskus


quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus

2009 Etre Wines Chardonnay

tytyger didn't like it, saying it was too oaky and buttery which is exactly what my palate wants in a Chardonnay these days.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

chemvictim


quality posts: 3 Private Messages chemvictim

Must drink Chardonnay tonight after reading these comments.

SonomaBouliste


quality posts: 234 Private Messages SonomaBouliste
cmaldoon wrote:Tonight we started with Wellington's The Duke!!

With much fanfare we (+1 and I) opened the bottle CAGirl so kindly gifted us. We poured with great anticipation, and smelled...and sipped...and..... This was the first bottle of Wellington I have not liked. Not just not liked, but really found unpleasant. It tastes incredibly commercial (a flavor I get off of a lot of cheap wines). I own about 30 bottles of Wellington and in general love them.... But Peter should keep his day job of making his Victory reserve that I will buy at $30 or $40 or even $50 any day rather than drink this Duke.

The girlfriend summed it up best when she said: "Can we have some real wine now?"

We moved onto a bottle of St Supery Unoaked Chardonnay. Now THIS wine was firing on all cylinders. The nose was vibrant with notes of grapefruit and nectarine. Quite well concentrated. The palate solidly backed up the promise of the nose with more nectarine and grapefruit, a touch of papaya, and a hint of lime and honey. Beautifully drinkable and well-rounded, this wine might be (poetically) described as "summer in a glass."



I'm not offended. The Duke, after all, is a blend of components that were excluded from our other (more expensive) wines. The Duke makes our other wines better, and was never intended to be more than a decent dinner wine with burgers or pizza or whatever.

cmaldoon


quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon
SonomaBouliste wrote:I'm not offended. The Duke, after all, is a blend of components that were excluded from our other (more expensive) wines. The Duke makes our other wines better, and was never intended to be more than a decent dinner wine with burgers or pizza or whatever.



Peter, you're very down to earth.

I made good on that statement about Victory reserves.... Went in for 3 sets.

Do you have any magnums available? I have a magnum of 07 Jana cathedral that I'd love to lay a magnum of 07 Victory next to.

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

tytiger58


quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58

2004 Serradenari Barolo

Quite good, floral, red fruit, tar tannin and acid, perfect with ribeye.

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson




kylemittskus


quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus
kylemittskus wrote:2009 Etre Wines Chardonnay

tytyger didn't like it, saying it was too oaky and buttery which is exactly what my palate wants in a Chardonnay these days.



tyger wins this one. This wine is an absolute mess. The oak perfumey and not buttery or creamy. It's all front-loaded. No finish. At $20/btl shipped, this is horrible QPR. 75 points.

2009 Montirius Vacqueyras Le Clos (FLAWED)

2010 R2 Rhapsody (One step above fruit punch. No acid, no tannin).

On top of the wine mess, we've been cooking a chicken pot pie for 2 hours, smelling it and eagerly waiting for it to finish cooking. We start serving and... no chicken! A bad day followed by a bad night, capped off by three bad wines and no dinner! Awesome.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

tytiger58


quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58
kylemittskus wrote:tyger wins this one. This wine is an absolute mess. The oak perfumey and not buttery or creamy. It's all front-loaded. No finish. At $20/btl shipped, this is horrible QPR. 75 points.

2009 Montirius Vacqueyras Le Clos (FLAWED)

2010 R2 Rhapsody (One step above fruit punch. No acid, no tannin).

On top of the wine mess, we've been cooking a chicken pot pie for 2 hours, smelling it and eagerly waiting for it to finish cooking. We start serving and... no chicken! A bad day followed by a bad night, capped off by three bad wines and no dinner! Awesome.



Sorry to hear that my friend

I was hoping you would like them so I could add my remaining bottles to your box for a nice surprise when we make the trade. Well hopefully you will get some good sleep. tonight!

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson




cmaldoon


quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon

1992 Raymond Napa cab
1994 Hess napa cab
1986 clos du bois Marlstone
1996 Foppiano PS
1995 Ramsay alicante Bouchet
1988 Dunn vineyards Cab
1987 Corison cab (her first year!)

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

cortot20


quality posts: 144 Private Messages cortot20
kylemittskus wrote:

2010 R2 Rhapsody (One step above fruit punch. No acid, no tannin).



Sorry about the Rhapsody, I loved the 09' but felt like the 2010 fell very short.

CT

tytiger58


quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58
cmaldoon wrote:1992 Raymond Napa cab
1994 Hess napa cab
1986 clos du bois Marlstone
1996 Foppiano PS
1995 Ramsay alicante Bouchet
1988 Dunn vineyards Cab
1987 Corison cab (her first year!)



Notes?

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson




ddeuddeg


quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg
cmaldoon wrote:Peter, you're very down to earth.

I made good on that statement about Victory reserves.... Went in for 3 sets.

Do you have any magnums available? I have a magnum of 07 Jana cathedral that I'd love to lay a magnum of 07 Victory next to.

Call the tasting room. If they have them, Toby can take care of you.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne


Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

ddeuddeg


quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg
rjquillin wrote:2010 Wellington Vineyards Roussanne; how is it I've not had this varietal before, at least that I can recall. No idea what to expect, but quite tasty, good balance, full silky mouth-feel with a bit of wood, fruits I'm not sure how to describe yet but will work on. A great surprise from a club shipment.
What is this normally paired with?
cortot20 wrote:It's best paired with pears.

Can't be absolutely sure if this reply is meant to be tongue-in-cheek, but either way, it's a good idea. Try it with Pork Tenderloin with Caramelized Pears and Pear-Brandy Cream Sauce. I haven't made this dish in a while, and can't remember what I served with it last time, but that Roussanne should be sensational with it. I may have to try that pairing soon. Bahwm is already salivating just at the idea.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne


Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

cmaldoon


quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon
tytiger58 wrote:Notes?



All these notes are from memory so a bit short of detail

1992 Raymond Private Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon, Napa
First bottle opened. Accessible fairly quickly. A bit of bottle funk that quickly resolves into a warm aged cherry with a hint of vanilla. This bottle threw a lot of dark sediment. It was a nice aged wine that anyone could appreciate. Not especially complex, but solid. It held up very well over 3 hours showing best 2 hours in. This bottle was very consistent with other aged Raymond's I have had. I'll buy this (and any 15+ year old Raymond) at $30 any day.

1994 Hess Collection Cabernet Sauvignon Napa
This bottle opened up brighter than the Raymond with a hint of herbaceousness and some tannin. We thought it might bloom into something big but it never really developed past that. This was the wine with the most notable tannins of the bunch but was in my opinion on the downhill. Good old wine, not a wow.

1986 Clos Du Bois Marlestone Cabernet Sauvignon
When first opened, this bottle showed loads of funk. It wasn't quite barnyard, more like garlic and rubber but not horribly unpleasant, just interesting. This wine developed significantly with time and was always the most interesting wine opened. I forget the palate at the moment because it had more flavors than the rest of the wines. I personally felt this was the best wine of the night.

1987 Corison Napa Valley
From Cathy's first year of her own label. This bottle was the most mild bottle of the night. It was accessible but subtle. There were many spice notes and good complexities but it was not good with foods because it was easily overpowered. Surprisingly this fell overall into the middle of the pack.

1996 Foppiano Petite sirah
Purchased on the RPM tour (and then later offered as a plus deal). From prior experience with a bottle of 1995, we knew to let this one take a while to open up. When first popped the bottle the funk was overwhelming and unpleasant. Over the course of an hour or two the funk blew off and the wine bloomed to have floral and somewhat rootbeer and licorice characteristics. Quite odd, quite interesting.

1988 Dunn Vineyards Cab
This was the first wine gone. Several people liked it best, admittedly my palate was shot by the time it was opened but I remember it being pleasant. Not as accessible as the Raymond or as interesting as the Clos du Bois but in a nice spot between them.

1997 Ramsay Alicante Bouchet
BLACK on the cork and very very dark in the decanter. This wine was very much one note that reminded me of a smoky Syrah. Several people liked it, I found it much too one dimensional.

Lastly, I popped a 2006 Wellington victory. Unfortunately, we didn't let it have the proper hour or two to open properly and thus the last glass was the best. This is still a beautiful wine.

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

rjquillin


quality posts: 174 Private Messages rjquillin
ddeuddeg wrote:Can't be absolutely sure if this reply is meant to be tongue-in-cheek, but either way, it's a good idea. Try it with Pork Tenderloin with Caramelized Pears and Pear-Brandy Cream Sauce. I haven't made this dish in a while, and can't remember what I served with it last time, but that Roussanne should be sensational with it. I may have to try that pairing soon. Bahwm is already salivating just at the idea.

I wasn't sure either, but I did chuckle. The suggestions both sound tempting, and pears are in season too. Guess I'll be making a market trip today. Also, last weekend for the 5-cent sale.

CT

ddeuddeg


quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg

Last night: 2008 Cabernet Franc Ice Wine from the Niagara College Teaching Winery in Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario, to celebrate a safe arrival in Detroit. Perfect ice wine, sweet, but not cloying, great Cab Franc flavors. Klezman would love this one.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne


Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

klezman


quality posts: 123 Private Messages klezman
ddeuddeg wrote:Last night: 2008 Cabernet Franc Ice Wine from the Niagara College Teaching Winery in Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario, to celebrate a safe arrival in Detroit. Perfect ice wine, sweet, but not cloying, great Cab Franc flavors. Klezman would love this one.



Yup, that does sound great.

2014: 32 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Jana Cathedral 3 L
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

papamochi


quality posts: 1 Private Messages papamochi

2007 Brazin old vine zin...towards the end of its prime. It lost most of its pepperiness and was almost a fruit bomb to start (albeit a tasty one) but after some time in the glass it balanced out and made a great and affordable drink. If you own any of these recant or aerate for a bit and drink them soon.... If you like dark cherries on the nose and palate and want a little sweeter zin find this one before no one has them left. The price has dropped from about $20 to $12-14 as the drinking window closes.

FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIEND DRINK WHITE ZINFANDEL!

polarbear22


quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22

Cyber Pub Blend #2. Had it with turkey cutlets, sweet potatoes with goat cheese and truffle oil, and Brussel sprouts with dried cherries. (supposed to be dried cranberries.)

Wine is very nice. Coming along nicely. Strong fruit at the beginning fades to a more balanced wine. Great QPR.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

cmaldoon


quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon

Ok, I completed the post of all the wines, look above!

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

kylemittskus


quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus

2007 I Giusti & Zanza Dulcamara Toscana IGT

With gnocchi and meatballs in vodka sauce with mushrooms.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

tytiger58


quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58
kylemittskus wrote:2007 I Giusti & Zanza Dulcamara Toscana IGT

With gnocchi and meatballs in vodka sauce with mushrooms.



Please post notes.

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson