kylemittskus

quality posts: 232 Private Messages kylemittskus
tytiger58 wrote:I think tonight in honor of Kyle's upcoming first child, and the fact he will be to tired to drink much for the next few years...

N.V. Jose Dhondt Champagne Blanc de Blancs Brut

And congrats Kyle!

Like I drink wine anyway.

And thanks, brother!

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

bkarlan

quality posts: 46 Private Messages bkarlan

Rihaku Shuzo Tokubetsu Junmai Nigori Dreamy Clouds sake

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse..." - John Stuart Mill

kylemittskus

2007 Tenuta Monteti Caburnio Toscana IGT on deck for tonight (thanks to tytyger) with some gnocchi with vodka sauce and meatballs.

tytiger58

quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58

It's about time

Decant

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

bkarlan

2009 Ponderosa Valley Vineyards Late Harvest Riesling for an after dinner delight

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse..." - John Stuart Mill

mommadeb1

quality posts: 18 Private Messages mommadeb1

finishing my bottle of Twisted Tempranillio. Yummm

tytiger58

mommadeb1 wrote:finishing my bottle of Twisted Tempranillio. Yummm

I do love El Jefe's wines, what year?

mommadeb1

tytiger58 wrote:I do love El Jefe's wines, what year?

2006 I am really tempted to join the twisted freaks!!

rjquillin

quality posts: 183 Private Messages rjquillin

Some '09 Liberty School Paso Robles CS I picked up for ~$10 at Costco with Mex. Not plonk, but close, but it is Tuesday. Wow, LS was really nice back the late '70's. Live, drink, learn...

CT

texacaliali

quality posts: 137 Private Messages texacaliali

Guest Blogger

bkarlan wrote:Rihaku Shuzo Tokubetsu Junmai Nigori Dreamy Clouds sake

this brewery was very dear to me, "Mr. T" loved traveling to the US and was such a sweet man, honored to have had the privilege of representing his brewery for many years.

http://texacaliwinetrail.blogspot.com/2010/03/on-more-serious-note.html

WineDavid was my Boss!

bkarlan

texacaliali wrote:this brewery was very dear to me, "Mr. T" loved traveling to the US and was such a sweet man, honored to have had the privilege of representing his brewery for many years.

http://texacaliwinetrail.blogspot.com/2010/03/on-more-serious-note.html

That's a great blurb. I enjoy both of those Sakis, but Wandering Poet just a bit more than the Dreamy Clouds. Whole Foods is the only place I can find it though. Feel free to have Woot sell it

darlenee1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages darlenee1

Hey everyone! Long time, no chat I'm almost done with grad school, and searching for a job. In my downtime I've been watching Mad Men, so I've recently discovered a love for bourbon drinks. Last night (and every night this week) I had an old fashioned. Delicious!

Ran out of room for the wines, and can't think of a good quote for now

k1avg

quality posts: 82 Private Messages k1avg
tytiger58 wrote:Tonight...

2008 Torre Quarto Bottaccia Nero Di Troia

Last one

I've got one bottle of this left (from back when it was $8/bottle or something ridiculous on WL) and have been holding on to it. Great stuff.

--
Lawyer (of sorts) by day. Drinker of fine wines, homebrewer of fine beers, connoisseur of fine Scotches by night.
The current holdings.

beefytaco

quality posts: 7 Private Messages beefytaco

2008 Orlando Abrigo Nebbiolo Settevie - affordable Langhe nebbiolo that kinda kicked ass at the price point. Went well with my white trash pairing of grilled (leftover Easter) ham and cheese.

___
I have two accounts- this 'anonymous' username for commenting, as well as a 'purchasing' account which is my real name. Apologies for the white box on the left.

Also, in the interest of full disclosure- I'm ITB, selling wine for a living. None of my wines have ever been featured on Woot though, so don't fear the shilling.

tytiger58

beefytaco wrote:2008 Orlando Abrigo Nebbiolo Settevie - affordable Langhe nebbiolo that kinda kicked ass at the price point. Went well with my white trash pairing of grilled (leftover Easter) ham and cheese.

Good to hear I picked up a few of those...and I have some white trash food to eat around here

tytiger58

k1avg wrote:I've got one bottle of this left (from back when it was $8/bottle or something ridiculous on WL) and have been holding on to it. Great stuff.

That was a smoking deal..Kyle loaded up on those too..

kylemittskus

tytiger58 wrote:That was a smoking deal..Kyle loaded up on those too..

And I drank 'em all, and have bought another 10 at the $12 price, which I still think is stellar QPR. Love that stuff.

kylemittskus

2007 Mas Conscience Vin de Pays de l'Hérault Le Cas Languedoc

tytiger58

kylemittskus wrote:2007 Mas Conscience Vin de Pays de l'Hérault Le Cas Languedoc

How is that drinking? They were pretty light if I remember correctly.

tytiger58

2005 Golden Eye Pinot juice box....blech

mommadeb1

yellow tail shiraz/cab.... ewwww

no I did not buy, someone gave to me.....

kylemittskus

tytiger58 wrote:How is that drinking? They were pretty light if I remember correctly.

Medium-bodied. This was my last bottle. Bummed, actually. I really liked it and none of my bottles had secondary ferm like other people reported. It had this mineral streak throughout the palate that was really nice. I bought some '10 Roussillon to replace them. Kind of pumped about the Languedoc-Roussillon right now.

rjquillin

White Oak Cab from a few weeks ago tonight. No complaints for < $9 delivered Tuesday bottle on Thursday night. Dark but not inky purple, plenty of fruit and some wood, no heat to speak of, but not a Wellington or even a Meeker.

CT

k1avg

quality posts: 82 Private Messages k1avg
kylemittskus wrote:Medium-bodied. This was my last bottle. Bummed, actually. I really liked it and none of my bottles had secondary ferm like other people reported. It had this mineral streak throughout the palate that was really nice. I bought some '10 Roussillon to replace them. Kind of pumped about the Languedoc-Roussillon right now.

Bah! Mine are spritzy as all heck. It's decent when still, but it takes about twenty minutes with the Vacu-Vin to get there, and it's just not worth the effort.

Had my first bottle of the Roessler Red Label last night, bottle-shock-be-damned. Good stuff - not as elegant as the Bluejay, but definitely nothing like the slick, heavy, cheapo California Pinots you can normally get at that price either. Perfect weeknight bottles.

--
Lawyer (of sorts) by day. Drinker of fine wines, homebrewer of fine beers, connoisseur of fine Scotches by night.
The current holdings.

beefytaco

Elijah Craig 18yo bourbon, a lot of it

___
I have two accounts- this 'anonymous' username for commenting, as well as a 'purchasing' account which is my real name. Apologies for the white box on the left.

Also, in the interest of full disclosure- I'm ITB, selling wine for a living. None of my wines have ever been featured on Woot though, so don't fear the shilling.

chukon99

quality posts: 4 Private Messages chukon99

Turley 2009 Dragon Vineyard Zinfandel. Picked up a couple weeks ago during the LastBottle marathon. Very nice wine, though far from my favorite zin. Definitely would not pay full retail for this.

cortot20

quality posts: 159 Private Messages cortot20
cortot20 wrote:2006 Scott Harvey - reserve old vine zin.
Still a little porty on the nose but its fading and letting the fruit through quite nicely.

Was not an ideal pairing to chicken and dumplings. :p

Other 1/2 of this. Great with some Cuban food.

CT

bkarlan

Had every intention to open a bottle of 2006 Schäfer-Fröhlich Riesling Spätlese Schloßböckelheimer Felsenberg, however 1 was corked. I wrote Invino and now I am waiting on a reply.

So I opened the 2010 Orange Crusher.

tytiger58

2007 Waters Syrah Pepper Bridge Walla Walla Valley

kylemittskus

Some absolutely lovely Caramel Cream Rooibos tea (only a sample; more must be found!), followed by some Jack Daniel's Honey.

rjquillin

kylemittskus wrote:Some absolutely lovely Caramel Cream Rooibos tea (only a sample; more must be found!), followed by some Jack Daniel's Honey.

Now that sounds really tempting. A local purveyor here markets some 'Red Garden Chai' that is Rooibos based and I purchase by the pound. I've easily had 1600 ml this afternoon/evening, but doing taxes I need something a bit stronger. Jack or Lagavulin coming right up. Where do you find your Carmel Cream?

CT

kylemittskus

rjquillin wrote:Now that sounds really tempting. A local purveyor here markets some 'Red Garden Chi' that is Rooibos based and I purchase by the pound. I've easily had 1600 ml this afternoon/evening, but doing taxes I need something a bit stronger. Jack or Lagavulin coming right up. Where do you find your Carmel Cream?

It was by Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf, but they don't have it on their website and amazon has it listed but unavailable. SWMBO got a single serving sample from somewhere, though. It was quite good.

cortot20

quality posts: 159 Private Messages cortot20
kylemittskus wrote:It was by Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf, but they don't have it on their website and amazon has it listed but unavailable. SWMBO got a single serving sample from somewhere, though. It was quite good.

Try their African sunrise Roobios. It's quite good hot and iced.

CT

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon

While not technically tonight... The last 2 nights were:

1984 Raymond Reserve Napa Cabernet Sauvignon - amazingly alive and vigorous for a 28 year old wine. This was lovely and did not taper off much over the hour+ of dinner. Good solid cherry with a hint of blackberry fruit. Baking spices and a very balanced touch of oak finished out every sip. The acid went well with dinner and this was just an all around tasty wine. There were times that my g/f was talking to me and I took a sip of the wine and was so obviously lost in the bliss that she had to pause her statement and continue when she found that I was present again.

1989 Corison Napa Cabernet - Cathy's 3rd vintage and an off year for napa. I pulled this cork out whole ( Cathy uses good quality closures). The tobacco and leather wrapped the cherry flavor in a comforting blanket. This wine somehow seemed older than the Raymond from the night before but it was anything but dead. A more straightforward cherry flavor, bright not dark followed smoothly with a complete flavor profile through a smooth finish. This wasn't as good as the '84 Raymond but if this is Cathy in an off year, I can hardly wait for the '87 and '91 bottles I have.

It was a good weekend.

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

bkarlan

finishing off the Orange Crusher and time for some Cabernet Franc icewine.

edit: I think my palate has died and gone to heaven. Th 2006 Peller Estates Cab Franc ice wine is nothing short of steller. It was the perfect way to close the evening down.

bkarlan

07 Keller Estate Syrah La Cruz

edit: this juicef was wickedly AWESOME

tytiger58

bkarlan wrote:finishing off the Orange Crusher and time for some Cabernet Franc icewine.

edit: I think my palate has died and gone to heaven. Th 2006 Peller Estates Cab Franc ice wine is nothing short of steller. It was the perfect way to close the evening down.

I do love me some ice wine! I am sorry I missed out on that one..

mommadeb1

2009 Poizin -yummm

beefytaco

https://www.cellartracker.com/wine.asp?iWine=1354688
A superlative Provence rose. It was hot here in NYC today, and I wanted something fun to cheer up the chore of packing. Heading to PR for a week, so I imagine that I'll be drinking a ton of Rum for the next 8 days!

___

bkarlan

2008 Kent Rasmussen Petite Sirah Esoterica

First glass now, second glass is sitting in the decanter.

edit: The second glass is knock your socks off good. 1.5-2 hours in the decanter is what it needed. The bold flavors are now really prevalent and the peppery spicy is still there. There are too many things going on to really describe. Wow this is good stuff.