redwinefan

quality posts: 74 Private Messages redwinefan

• 2008 Pacific Wine Works Gewürztraminer - USA, California, North Coast, Mendocino (8/16/2012)
    Hey, it's cheap Gewürztraminer, so what are you expecting? I'm not asking a lot from it at $7.50, but it definitely outperforms at $7.50, and I'd choose it over a cheap, mass-produced Chardonnay most days of the week. As noted earlier, nice acid here, Gewürztraminer floral component, pineapple, light-body, a bit tart, dry. This is my last bottle, but it is still holding up. (84 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

"You need to invest in a corkscrew. Wine is for drinking." -- Peter Wellington

tytiger58

quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58
redwinefan wrote:Love that wine. I hope it pops back up, since I'd like to grab some more.

Yea i bought a little over a case the first time around.

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

funbunny

quality posts: 25 Private Messages funbunny

Long Meadow Ranch Sauvignon Blanc alongside some cruciferous vegetables.

"Wine is sunshine held together by water" - Galileo Galilei

bkarlan

quality posts: 46 Private Messages bkarlan
redwinefan wrote:
  • 2008 Pacific Wine Works Gewürztraminer - USA, California, North Coast, Mendocino (8/16/2012)
    Hey, it's cheap Gewürztraminer, so what are you expecting? I'm not asking a lot from it at $7.50, but it definitely outperforms at $7.50, and I'd choose it over a cheap, mass-produced Chardonnay most days of the week. As noted earlier, nice acid here, Gewürztraminer floral component, pineapple, light-body, a bit tart, dry. This is my last bottle, but it is still holding up. (84 pts.)

Not a huge fan of that wine, but I agree completely with your notes and your score is right on.

As for me, drinking a 2005 Domodimonti Picens Vino Rosso. For $15 it is a good bottle of an American Italian wine. It doesn't have the high acid content that I love from Italian wines though.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse..." - John Stuart Mill

bsevern

quality posts: 109 Private Messages bsevern

Having a bottle of Dry Creek Vineyards Sauvignon Blanc (bought on the woot tour) with homemade (slow roasted from scratch) carnitas tacos.

cortot20

quality posts: 139 Private Messages cortot20

2009 municipal winemakers MCS
50% mourvedre
25% carignane
25% syrah

Bottle 253 of 1200

Deep red in color and clear. Light does come through.
No legs. Nose is extremely strong and is very fruit forward. Mostly raspberries and a hint of blueberry in the background. The wine has a silky smooth mouthfeel and is medium bodied. The finish is medium to short and is tart. Overall I enjoyed the wine as a sipper and not a food wine and would purchase again.

CT

edthebedhead

quality posts: 4 Private Messages edthebedhead

Enjoying Ty Caton Ballfield Syrah, 2010.

Having some Homemade maple syrup and fresh peaches from the peach tree in the yard.

otolith

quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith

Finishing off the Turley from a few nights ago. I am really impressed with this Juvenile zin.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

redwinefan

bsevern wrote:Having a bottle of Dry Creek Vineyards Sauvignon Blanc (bought on the woot tour) with homemade (slow roasted from scratch) carnitas tacos.

Yum! That sounds like an excellent combo.

rjquillin

quality posts: 173 Private Messages rjquillin

Palouse 2008 Eclipse.
Lousy judge tonight, but seems pretty nice, drinking, not tasting. Ripple would have worked after my 15 hour day, but at least I'm employed. Weekend, arrive!

CT

justplainjulie

quality posts: 5 Private Messages justplainjulie

2004 Ridge Oltranti Zinfandel

Oh....my.....yummm.....I kinda regret opening this because I think it defnitely has plenty of years left in it.

Deep, rich purple color. Pleasant plum and cedar nose. Very full-bodied, balanced (almost bordeaux-like). Little bit of pepper, spice, dark cherry.

awstansbury

quality posts: 0 Private Messages awstansbury

A 2010 14 Hands Cab. I have no idea what the distinctive taste I get is. Metal? Pennies? Bing cherries? Something in the Columbia Valley soil (help me out here).

It is lovely, though, especially for the $8.70 price tag at BevMo (33% off sale; their Hot To Rot red blend is discounted to $7.99 right now). I buy this whenever it's on sale. Kicks the crap out of Chateau St. Michelle and Columbia Crest (though not K Vintners, admittedly; Boom-Boom Syrah is my WA go-to, and their merlot is damn fine while being really, really affordable [$15 in Maui at an upscale hotel]).

rjquillin

2011 Pine Ridge Chenin Blanc + Viognier, with a fresh garden salad, chunks of chicken, feta and some garlic buttered toasted baguette.

CT

bsevern

Glass of Twisted Oak Viognier as a starter, with a bottle of Woot Cellars Pinot Noir D’ONTSPILLE LE BLACK in the decanter.....it's been a crazy week at work

tytiger58

2006 Iron Horse Vineyards Brut Rosé

It must be a million degrees here in So. Cal and this was wonderful by itself and with Crab and some roasted peppers! Strawberries,citrus, lemon rind and maybe melon, nicely balanced. On the PNP the finish was rather short but with about an hour of air the finish is long and delicious and dry. I am now a believer in decanting sparklers. It will be hard to keep my hands off the remaining bottles this summer!

bkarlan

quality posts: 46 Private Messages bkarlan

Caprisun and Waffles. Hopefully this will stay down.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse..." - John Stuart Mill

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon
bkarlan wrote:Caprisun and Waffles. Hopefully this will stay down.

That doesn't sound so hot! hope you feel better soon!

It's all Water for me at any reasonable time. Noon to midnight shifts don't leave much time for leisurely dinners and wine.

Perhaps a small glass of whatever is in the fridge when I get home.

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

redwinefan

rjquillin wrote:2011 Pine Ridge Chenin Blanc + Viognier, with a fresh garden salad, chunks of chicken, feta and some garlic buttered toasted baguette.

Love the Pine Ridge Chenin Blanc + Viognier as a summer sipper. The QPR is great, and it is widely available, so it's an easy pick up when going to a party.

redwinefan

2007 Buena Vista Syrah Estate Vineyard Series Ramal Vineyard with flank steak and Hatch Chile tacos.

Really enjoying this one @ 13.99.

cortot20

Triacepidis the III
Have a cold so I really can't provide any real notes. Wife smelled green apples and pears. It was nice and light with a little bit of sweetness on the finish. Lives up to its predesessors as a nice summer afternoon sipper.

CT

klezman

quality posts: 122 Private Messages klezman

2005 La Velona Brunello. Surprisingly oxidized and developed for a wine this young. Very tasty.

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

rjquillin

Finishing off that Palouse 2008 Eclipse from a few nights ago witha Harris Ranch Baseball cut lightly charred on the outside and just warm on the inside. Yum.

I'm liking this and wished I'd picked up two woots and not just the one. Nice blend, lower ABV, pairs well with food or solo. Hoping the 2007 is equally tasty.

CT

bsevern

rjquillin wrote:2004 Gazzi PN, the 1L offering. Nice.

Good to hear!

I'm going to make Boeuf Bourguignon this week, so I pulled one out. I figured being a 1L bottle means plenty for the Boeuf Bourguignon, and plenty for me

bsevern

redwinefan wrote:2007 Buena Vista Syrah Estate Vineyard Series Ramal Vineyard with flank steak and Hatch Chile tacos.

Really enjoying this one @ 13.99.

Bacon...damn, now I really wish I'd ordered these...I hope they come around again.

bsevern

Cracked open a bottle of Dry Creek Vineyards Fume' Blanc purchased on the woot tour.

Very nice wine, not quite as "crisp" as the Chenin Blanc, but very nice array of tropical fruit, nice nose, and decent acidity. I've found that I really liked the DCV Chenin Blanc and Fume' Blanc, but not so much their Sauvignon Blanc, which is a bit of a grass/grapefruit bomb. Not that there's anything wrong with that, it's just not my thing. I much prefer a profile more akin to a French Sancerre.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus

2007 Doyenne Syrah

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

tytiger58

2005 Stonier Pinot

Really nice Pinot for a Tuesday night! Drinking very well and a screw cap

redwinefan

bsevern wrote:Cracked open a bottle of Dry Creek Vineyards Fume' Blanc purchased on the woot tour.

Very nice wine, not quite as "crisp" as the Chenin Blanc, but very nice array of tropical fruit, nice nose, and decent acidity. I've found that I really liked the DCV Chenin Blanc and Fume' Blanc, but not so much their Sauvignon Blanc, which is a bit of a grass/grapefruit bomb. Not that there's anything wrong with that, it's just not my thing. I much prefer a profile more akin to a French Sancerre.

I picked a bottle of the DCV Fume Blanc up at a local grocery store over the weekend. Very enjoyable, much more like a Sancerre than a typical California or NZ SB. I don't think the CT ratings do it justice.

rjquillin

tytiger58 wrote:2005 Stonier Pinot

Really nice Pinot for a Tuesday night! Drinking very well and a screw cap

Did one of mine a while back, but after i had forgotten I already had some, so when it came up again, I got more. The perils of aging, and buying too much.

Still adjusting to the earthy side of it, but agree, tasty, and happy I got more.

CT

chemvictim

quality posts: 3 Private Messages chemvictim

After dinner we're going to have our last remaining 2006 TyTanium. I'm hoping for some good stargazing too. Life is good.

rjquillin

Finished off the Pine Ridge CB+V with a spinach and BACON omelet; it held up very well for a few days with the Argon cap.

Now on to the 2007 Palouse Winery Eclipse Rattlesnake Hills in an attempt to see which I'd like to get a few more of, the '07 or '08.

The 2008 has the edge, but the 2007 is better this evening after getting opened yesterday, and stored without the Ar cap. Some of the bite it had yesterday has diminished.

CT

ajrod27

quality posts: 41 Private Messages ajrod27

2006 Wellington Vineyards Syrah - Estate Vineyard, Sonoma Valley

I opened this bottle yesterday and wasn't too impressed; I was kind of wondering if it was going through a dumb phase. Today, the difference blew me away! My cellartracker notes;

'rated 91 points: I opened this bottle yesterday and it started out tight with very little on the nose and palate. Today it's like a whole other wine! A sweet nose of blueberry pie, dark cherries, fennel, pepper and a slight floral note that I can't quite pick out. Violet? Very pleasant; I could just sniff this for an hour! The palate is of blackberries, plum, pomegranate and some bell pepper and spice on the finish. Very balanced and still has the structure to go many more years. Yesterday I would have given it 85 points, today it's definitely 90+'

So, I'm wondering, is this typical of a dumb phase; changing drastically overnight? Or does a dumb phase typically stay 'dumb' no matter how long it's open?

Itwdswafo

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Itwdswafo

Opened up a 2008 David Noyes Zin last night. Popped a half hour before drinking and after the initial sip, my first words were "Holy cow! What's the ABV on that?" Grabbed the bottle and noticed its a 16.5%. The 2007 was definitely drinking a lot better at 15.5% and the 2009 is a 14.5%. The next bottle of 2008 is going to get a nice long decanter treatment.

bsevern

Just cracked open a bottle of J. Rickards Old Vine Zinfandel...let's see what all the fuss was about

cortot20

ajrod27 wrote:2006 Wellington Vineyards Syrah - Estate Vineyard, Sonoma Valley

I opened this bottle yesterday and wasn't too impressed; I was kind of wondering if it was going through a dumb phase. Today, the difference blew me away! My cellartracker notes;

'rated 91 points: I opened this bottle yesterday and it started out tight with very little on the nose and palate. Today it's like a whole other wine! A sweet nose of blueberry pie, dark cherries, fennel, pepper and a slight floral note that I can't quite pick out. Violet? Very pleasant; I could just sniff this for an hour! The palate is of blackberries, plum, pomegranate and some bell pepper and spice on the finish. Very balanced and still has the structure to go many more years. Yesterday I would have given it 85 points, today it's definitely 90+'

So, I'm wondering, is this typical of a dumb phase; changing drastically overnight? Or does a dumb phase typically stay 'dumb' no matter how long it's open?

I opened one of those last year and decanted it couple hours before even tasting and Found it to be awesome. It may not need a day just a couple of hours to bloom.

CT

ajrod27

quality posts: 41 Private Messages ajrod27
cortot20 wrote:I opened one of those last year and decanted it couple hours before even tasting and Found it to be awesome. It may not need a day just a couple of hours to bloom.

I usually do not decant my wines since I have no intention of drinking the whole bottle in one sitting. I pour myself a glass, cork it and put it back in the cellar for the next day. So, the amount of oxygen it absorbs from being sealed in the bottle overnight might be similar to being decanted a couple hours...? I'm not sure. I can tell you that the wine is still lovely on day 3

cortot20

ajrod27 wrote:I usually do not decant my wines since I have no intention of drinking the whole bottle in one sitting. I pour myself a glass, cork it and put it back in the cellar for the next day. So, the amount of oxygen it absorbs from being sealed in the bottle overnight might be similar to being decanted a couple hours...? I'm not sure. I can tell you that the wine is still lovely on day 3

I just pour 1/2 in the decanter the the other half goes into 375ml bottle wich is then recorked and refrigerated. I can then the decant the second 1/2 the next day if necessary.

CT

klezman

quality posts: 122 Private Messages klezman

Last night was a 1996 Bourgogne from Mongeard-Mogneret. Despite being a region-level wine, it was perfect. Not the most complex example I've had, but the tannins were barely evident, the bottle bouquet had shown up, the fruit was still there, and it just vanished. Probably helps that they source their grapes from all sorts of 1er and Grand Cru regions (Echezeaux, Vosne-Romanee, etc).

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

cortot20

Last bottle of dontspille le black Pinot

CT

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
cortot20 wrote:Last bottle of dontspille le black Pinot

I have one bottle left. How's it doing

Im drinking Coors Light.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen