beefytaco

quality posts: 7 Private Messages beefytaco

Late, somewhat buzzed, not wanting to open anything interesting ...

Found two Chilean bottles on the shelf that were gifts - decided to give 'em both a go for the heck of it. The first, some sort of Lafitte cabernet bastardization was undrinkable.

However, the 2nd, 2009 Echeverria Merlot,
https://www.cellartracker.com/wine.asp?iWine=925456 has surprised me. A real wine with structure. I rarely venture into South America (and likely will not in the future) - but this bottle was a pleasant surprise!
EDIT: Wow - that came across as snobby. Research shows this bottle at $15. For $15 I generally prefer wines that are "less-ripe" from the Loire and Languedoc/Rousillion. Regions that I know better - and well, don't we all like our comfort zones?

___
I have two accounts- this 'anonymous' username for commenting, as well as a 'purchasing' account which is my real name. Apologies for the white box on the left.

Also, in the interest of full disclosure- I'm ITB, selling wine for a living. None of my wines have ever been featured on Woot though, so don't fear the shilling.

bsevern

quality posts: 109 Private Messages bsevern
cortot20 wrote:Lance and windmill PS.
Thanks kyle for parting with one more of your stash.

Love that stuff!

I wonder when it will hit the dumb phase?

cortot20

quality posts: 136 Private Messages cortot20
bsevern wrote:Love that stuff!

I wonder when it will hit the dumb phase?

Everyone always says to wait on PS and let them lie down for years. I say drink up. Of course 6 years old is the oldst PS I have had. So I probably don't know what I am missing.

CT

klezman

quality posts: 121 Private Messages klezman
tytiger58 wrote:Broc Cellars 2008 Eaglepoint Ranch Mendocino Grenache, really really good!

Was worried about smoke taint but cannot detect any

I will enjoy it when merbill and I cross paths and exchange bottles.

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

klezman

cortot20 wrote:Everyone always says to wait on PS and let them lie down for years. I say drink up. Of course 6 years old is the oldst PS I have had. So I probably don't know what I am missing.

Accurate description! Perhaps next D&D you can make it up to the Bay Area and sample some of the interesting stuff PS and Sparky and co will bring. My oldest PS thus far is only about 8.

2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon
klezman wrote:Accurate description! Perhaps next D&D you can make it up to the Bay Area and sample some of the interesting stuff PS and Sparky and co will bring. My oldest PS thus far is only about 8.

I have a '98 stags leap PS that I'd love to share with Wooters at some point

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

bsevern

cmaldoon wrote:I have a '98 stags leap PS that I'd love to share with Wooters at some point

It would be fun to have a Bay Area wine.woot vintage wine tasting...that Fopianno PS vertical would be fun to taste through.

bsevern

Chinese buffett at work today....cracked open a Pacific Wine Works (Meeker) Gewürztraminer, it's paring very nicely.

cortot20

2nd half of the L&W PS tonight with whatever my mother brings us for dinner.

CT

tytiger58

quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58

2011 Bedrock Ode to Lulu Sonoma Valley Rosé of Mourvèdre

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

cortot20

Taft street 2010 rose of PN

CT

klezman

2009 Henri Marionnet/Domaine de la Charmoise Cot Touraine Vinifera. Picked it up at K&L a while back, says it's on ungrafted rootstock - i.e. own-rooted. This makes me very curious.

Oh...and Cot = Malbec

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus

2011 Woot Cellars F-Bomb

2007 La Gerla Rosso Di Montalcino

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

justplainjulie

quality posts: 5 Private Messages justplainjulie

2007 Iron Horse Vintner's Cuvee...with Hatch green chili stew. Not the perfect pairing, but it'll do. The bubbly is excellent.

rjquillin

quality posts: 170 Private Messages rjquillin
justplainjulie wrote:2007 Iron Horse Vintner's Cuvee...with Hatch green chili stew. Not the perfect pairing, but it'll do. The bubbly is excellent.

Is Hatch GCW an ingredient in the stew?

CT

justplainjulie

quality posts: 5 Private Messages justplainjulie
rjquillin wrote:Is Hatch GCW an ingredient in the stew?

Ha! No, no. Just the delicious, fresh-roasted chiles I eat by the pound every year.

tytiger58

kylemittskus wrote:2011 Woot Cellars F-Bomb

Loved the La Gerla, how is the F-Bomb?

kylemittskus

tytiger58 wrote:Loved the La Gerla, how is the F-Bomb?

The La Gerla is pretty bricked, surprisingly. The F-Bomb is not my style. SWMBO and her good friends loved it. Too sweet and not enough acid for my palate.

kylemittskus

kylemittskus wrote:2011 Woot Cellars F-Bomb

2009 Cypress Cuvée CdR by Kermit Lynch

cmaldoon

From the Trail last night:

Scott Harvey Amador County Syrah Mountain Selection 2008

Was a fantastic wine for a backpack.

My Cellar

tytiger58

cmaldoon wrote:From the Trail last night:

Scott Harvey Amador County Syrah Mountain Selection 2008

Was a fantastic wine for a backpack.

Yikes! get some sun on those legs..

Tonight 2008 Williams Selyem Pinot Noir Eastside Road Neighbors

cmaldoon

tytiger58 wrote:Yikes! get some sun on those legs..

Tonight 2008 Williams Selyem Pinot Noir Eastside Road Neighbors

I know, scary aren't they?

My Cellar

kittymac

quality posts: 6 Private Messages kittymac

Ramey Larkmead Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon 2006 .. It's delicious.

tytiger58

cmaldoon wrote:I know, scary aren't they?

wine looks good...

beefytaco

quality posts: 7 Private Messages beefytaco

Yesterday was out of my league at a magnum Burg party ... a dozen mags (~10 burgundy, 1 jura, 1 prosecco) got opened, and I was a bit beat up today.

Just opened a fun, low-alc bottle of bubbles tonight.
https://www.cellartracker.com/wine.asp?iWine=156905
A CT quote that was brilliant: the most serious frivolous wine that you'll ever drink. Spot on.

___
I have two accounts- this 'anonymous' username for commenting, as well as a 'purchasing' account which is my real name. Apologies for the white box on the left.

Also, in the interest of full disclosure- I'm ITB, selling wine for a living. None of my wines have ever been featured on Woot though, so don't fear the shilling.

neilfindswine

quality posts: 169 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

'09 Graff Family Pinot Blanc. Nice mouthfeel. Maybe a touch more wood than needed, but a nice aromatic white for a Sonoma Sunday afternoon.

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

otolith

quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith
Winedavid39 wrote:Bless you.

Your posts are much more hilarious now that I've met you!

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

bsevern

Popped open a bottle of Wellington Duchess to go with a chicken taco salad.

Great budget wine, very Chardonnay like!

neilfindswine

quality posts: 169 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

...now on to the '08 Stemmler Carneros Pinot.

I might be sleeping outside tonight.

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

cmaldoon

2011 Kunde Gewürztraminer

Really tasty with sweet chilli tofu. The wine has a strong flavor of candied orange peels and a fantastic floral nose.

My Cellar

rjquillin

Visited Milagro Farm Vinyards this afternoon and tasted through the menu. Most all estate from NE of Ramona in NE San Diego county, Southern CA.

To me the most interesting was their Aleatico dessert @18% ABV, but I'm not sure what to think of it or know anything about the grape. Tasting notes provided suggest rich flavors of blackberry, blueberry jam and plum; I could agree. Dark nearly opaque ruby-purple, with plenty of particulates that made me take pause for a non-aged wine.

Anyone know much about the grape other than what G and wiki bring up?

CT

chipgreen

quality posts: 185 Private Messages chipgreen

2007 Kaleidoscope

Still drinking well. Only 2 bottles left now out of 18. Great QPR, hope they (whoever THEY are), put together another vintage soon!

Was this a Woot! exclusive? And did anyone ever figure out who the winemaker was?

redwinefan

quality posts: 74 Private Messages redwinefan
chipgreen wrote:2007 Kaleidoscope

Still drinking well. Only 2 bottles left now out of 18. Great QPR, hope they (whoever THEY are), put together another vintage soon!

Was this a Woot! exclusive? And did anyone ever figure out who the winemaker was?

That wine used to be available through World Market as well. Haven't been to WM lately, so I've got no clue if it is still stocked there.

"You need to invest in a corkscrew. Wine is for drinking." -- Peter Wellington

rjquillin

bsevern wrote:Popped open a bottle of Wellington Duchess to go with a chicken taco salad.

Great budget wine, very Chardonnay like!

WD, when are you going to begin shipping? All this talk is making me thirsty.

CT

redwinefan

Drinking the 2007 Buena Vista Chardonnay Estate Vineyard Series Ramal Vineyard picked up through a WS sale at $13.99 a bottle.

I'm travelling, so this is out of my trusty GoVino glass I took home from the rapid tasting at the RPM tour.

This Chard has plenty of life left in it, a nice amount of oak but without the overpowering oak effects, relatively light body. I'll see how the other bottle drinks out of proper stemware when I'm back home.

I'm happy with it at $13.99, wouldn't really love it at the $20+ retail. I get more enjoyment out of their Ramal Pinot.

Also had one of the IronHorse Unoaked Chards yesterday that I picked up on a different WS sale. Such a unique unoaked Chard, and definitely worth the tariff.

harmonious2

quality posts: 2 Private Messages harmonious2
redwinefan wrote:That wine used to be available through World Market as well. Haven't been to WM lately, so I've got no clue if it is still stocked there.

I just checked and found that Michael Mondavi was the winemaker. It's a nice acidic Gewurz blend that really hits the spot for $7 a bottle. I'd be surprised if there are any still floating around World Market but I'll keep an eye out for it anyway!

bsevern

chipgreen wrote:2007 Kaleidoscope

I've really enjoyed the Kaleidoscope, I have but a sole bottle remaining.

That was a Michael Mondavi project...I hope we get more of his Emblem cabs here

bsevern

redwinefan wrote:Drinking the 2007 Buena Vista Chardonnay Estate Vineyard Series Ramal Vineyard picked up through a WS sale at $13.99 a bottle.

I'm travelling, so this is out of my trusty GoVino glass I took home from the rapid tasting at the RPM tour.

This Chard has plenty of life left in it, a nice amount of oak but without the overpowering oak effects, relatively light body. I'll see how the other bottle drinks out of proper stemware when I'm back home.

I'm happy with it at $13.99, wouldn't really love it at the $20+ retail. I get more enjoyment out of their Ramal Pinot.

Also had one of the IronHorse Unoaked Chards yesterday that I picked up on a different WS sale. Such a unique unoaked Chard, and definitely worth the tariff.

I'm kinda kicking myself for not getting the Ramal Syrah from WS, but I did end up with a case of the 07 Ramal Pinot, great stuff for the $.

chipgreen

quality posts: 185 Private Messages chipgreen
harmonious2 wrote:I just checked and found that Michael Mondavi was the winemaker. It's a nice acidic Gewurz blend that really hits the spot for $7 a bottle. I'd be surprised if there are any still floating around World Market but I'll keep an eye out for it anyway!

Oops. How about that, one of my alter egos.

EDIT: Looks just like me too, doesn't he?

redwinefan

bsevern wrote:I'm kinda kicking myself for not getting the Ramal Syrah from WS, but I did end up with a case of the 07 Ramal Pinot, great stuff for the $.

I picked up some of the Syrah as well which I'll try when I get back. I had all of these shipped to my mom's house in Ohio since WS no longer ships to Texas so I have a mixed case to haul back with me.

Plus, having good wine ready to drink when you visit your parents is turning out to be a good policy.