klezman

quality posts: 130 Private Messages klezman

How was that Esquisto? I'm nervous about opening them too young.

We popped (well, unscrewed) a 2009 Tercero Cuvee Christe. Delicious.

2014: 57 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2011 Wellington Cab & Merlot, Roessler 2009 Bluejay, 2010 Bell Cabernet
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

jmdavidson

quality posts: 59 Private Messages jmdavidson
klezman wrote:How was that Esquisto? I'm nervous about opening them too young.

We popped (well, unscrewed) a 2009 Tercero Cuvee Christe. Delicious.

Still a little closed down. Fruit is starting to come out. Quite smooth and easy to drink nonetheless. I will wait another year before opening another.

chipgreen

quality posts: 207 Private Messages chipgreen
randysanders wrote:2001 Ardente Atlas Peak Cab.
Bottle is beautiful, cork in perfect condition,
bottom is very dark, no crud. (correction,
finely divided, silt-like crud, as dark as squid
ink on the bottom of the cork)
Poured the wine...very dark, like iron rich blood.
The nose is full and very Napa, did I smell
basil from here, or is that the pizza in the oven?
Delicious, flavor throughout the palate, not a
lot of viscosity, the finish goes on forever. Mild,
but noticeable tanins. This wine is ready to drink...and I've got another 2001 in the cellar!

Jealous. There was very little of the 2001 offered and I missed out on it.

chipgreen

quality posts: 207 Private Messages chipgreen

2009 Mirage "fizzy" Cab.

Still fizzy.... not bad on PnP slightly chilled but gets better closer to room temp with enough air to negate the secondary fermentation. Turns into a smooth, easy drinker.

randysanders

quality posts: 5 Private Messages randysanders
chipgreen wrote:Jealous. There was very little of the 2001 offered and I missed out on it.

Come on over Chip, let's pop the other one.
Day 2 was even better. Smooth, sweet, more
integrated and better mouthfeel...wonderful!

cortot20

quality posts: 161 Private Messages cortot20

07' Jason stephens estate Syrah

CT

randysanders

2010 Kendall Jackson Vintner's Reserve Cab...

Life's too short...

rjquillin

quality posts: 189 Private Messages rjquillin

#65, and now medicare eligible, but living above the turf line.
2009 Iron Horse Vineyards Summer's Cuvée
2005 Resalte Ribera del Duero Crianza
NV Penfolds Club Reserve Classic Tawny

CT

jrb11

quality posts: 4 Private Messages jrb11

2012 Les Champs Clos Sancerre

Delicious!

CT

karenhynes

quality posts: 11 Private Messages karenhynes

2007 Scott Harvey Cabernet Sauvignon, Napa Valley

Wine is bottled poetry - Robert Louis Stevenson

klezman

Dad visiting.
This afternoon with relatives: 2009 Ty Caton Central Coast Riesling

Tonight:
2010 Ridge Santa Cruz Cabernet Sauvignon
1989 Chateau Lafite Rothschild, which I am currently sipping on.

Very nice.

2014: 57 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2011 Wellington Cab & Merlot, Roessler 2009 Bluejay, 2010 Bell Cabernet
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

jmdavidson

From last night:
2011 Corte Gardoni Bardolino Chiaretto
2007 Colle Lungo Chianti Classico Rsv
2009 Cavalli Tenuta Degli Dei
2007 Tor Del Colle Rsv Brindisi
2008 Tenuta Poggio Verrano Dromos Maremma Toscana
2007 Proprieta Sperino Uvaggio
2009 Arcolaio Ravemma Rosso
2007 Pedroncelli Vintage Port
Served with antipasti, insalata and shrimp diavolo. Buonissimo!

rjquillin

B-day (multiple, 3, 4 or 5 I think) dinner with friends old and new.
Others will have to help fill in some blanks.
WOTN either the 1980 Beringer or the 1985 Château Corbin if we discount the dessert bottles.

201? Pine Ridge Chenin Blanc Viognier
Vino Noceto Moscato Blanco Frivolo
2006 Iron Horse Vineyards Classic Vintage Brut
NV Mumm Napa Brut Rosé
2008 Lucas J. Cellars (Meeker) Pinot Noir Jasper Family Vineyard
2005 Coppola Pinot Noir, Russian River
1979 Sanford & Benedict Cabernet Sauvignon
1980 Beringer Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon State Lane Vineyard (from the tour)
1985 Château Corbin St. Émilion Grand Cru
1987 Louis Martini Cabernet Sauvignon
Buena Vista Tokaji Aszú 6 Puttonyos
Maderia #1
Maderia #2
Maderia #3
Maderia #4

and, as this was not a true woot gathering and we had too many lightweights, newer vintage bottles of CS we didn't get to..

1990 Corison Napa
1993 Gun Bun
1993 Raymond Vineyard & Cellar Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve
1994 Corison Napa
1995 Dry Creek
1998 Corison Kronos
2001 St. Supery
2003 Wellington H-D
2004 Dry Creek Mariner
1994 Corison Napa
1995 Dry Creek
1998 Corison Kronos
2001 St. Supery
2003 Wellington H-D
2004 Dry Creek Mariner

There are some pictures I took, just not on my camera.
Hopefully at least the before table shot will make it my way.

CT

klezman

Wow...quite the line-up. Happy birthday again to you and Tim and whoever else was celebrating last night!

randysanders

2005 Carlisle, Russian River Valley,
Papa's Block Syrah. Excellent...
SWMBO loves Syrah and Shiraz.
All of it. The more outrageous the better,
Mollydookers are her favorites.

tytiger58

quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58
klezman wrote:
1989 Chateau Lafite Rothschild, which I am currently sipping on.

Very nice.

So final thoughts? From what I have read it was a hotter vintage? Still elegant? Tannic? Fantastic? Disappointing? Mind blowing? Plonk?What the heck?

Tonight
Ployez-Jacquemart Extra Brut Champagne 2003
NV Lucien Albrecht Crémant d'Alsace Brut Rosé

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

klezman

tytiger58 wrote:So final thoughts? From what I have read it was a hotter vintage? Still elegant? Tannic? Fantastic? Disappointing? Mind blowing? Plonk?What the heck?

Lithe, elegant, not tannic at all, delicious, not revelatory or transcendent. Very complete wine, though - a definite beginning, middle, and end. We started too late and should have opened it an hour or two earlier than we did, I think. Seriously good wine.

klezman

Last night: rack of lamb and sauteed broccoli with a sampling of 2012 Iron Horse Unoaked Chardonnay, then 2007 Twisted Oak Spaniard, and dessert with Harvest Moon 2005 LH Zin.

justplainjulie

quality posts: 5 Private Messages justplainjulie

2006 Kaesler Old Bastard Shiraz

Big, monster wine. Get a lot of alcohol on the nose initially. Then, blueberry, tobacco, mushroom (or soy sauce?)

Wish I'd set this one back a year or two.

otolith

quality posts: 24 Private Messages otolith

2012 Quail's Gate Pinot Noir from the Okanagan Valley in BC.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

jmdavidson

I'm thinking about opening up a bottle of $299.99 pinot noir. Yea, the expensive stuff. Got two bottles left. Will let you know later how the ... Woot Cellars D’ONTSPILLE LE BLACK is drinking.
EDIT: This is drinking extremely well. Good clarity and cranberry color. Medium bodied. Many different flavors. Went very well with grilled salmon, grilled asparagus and wild rice with oyster mushrooms, as well as fresh figs with humbolt fog cheese.

karenhynes

2012 Vinum Cellars Chenin Blanc/Viognier

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 35 Private Messages ddeuddeg

1995 Dry Creek Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon, picked up during the 2012 rpm tour. CT says drink 2002-2009. I say balderdash! This was a gorgeous wine, full of color, no evidence of bricking. A little wary of decanting, not wanting it to fade too quickly. That turned out to be a good choice; the wine opened up beautifully, with aromas of cedar and cassis, more of the same on the palate, with a bit of black pepper. An absolutely perfect accompaniment for the grilled ribeye, baked potato, green beans, and swiss chard (I love the fresh produce this time of year. The things bahwm can do with fresh veggies could even make a convert of Sparky. ). The last little bit of wine was starting to show hints of oxidation, vindicating the decision not to decant. Just in case, I had a bottle of 2001 Corison Cab for backup. We'll save that for another time (soon).

EDIT: Almost forgot: 13.4% ABV. Why can't they do that any more?

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

karenhynes

2003 Staglin Family Vineyards Estate Cabernet Sauvignon with fresh-made tagliatelle with pesto, shrimp, garden tomatoes, and chunks of of parmesano reggiano. Yum!

jmdavidson

I appreciate whenever someone posts a wine they are drinking and include the food pairing. Sometimes I think this thread should be "What are you drinking (&eating) tonight." Thanks to those that post the food. It often gives me ideas for my own pairings. Now if we could just start a recipe thread...

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 35 Private Messages ddeuddeg
jmdavidson wrote:I appreciate whenever someone posts a wine they are drinking and include the food pairing. Sometimes I think this thread should be "What are you drinking (&eating) tonight." Thanks to those that post the food. It often gives me ideas for my own pairings. Now if we could just start a recipe thread...

Always happy to share recipes. In fact, I posted my favorite grilled salmon recipe on the Pedroncelli Zinfandel thread yesterday for someone who only seemed to have it with steak. Tonight's dinner was pretty simple: a ribeye on the grill with no seasoning at all, a couple of baked potatoes, green beans we got at the farmers' market this morning, fresh swiss chard sautéed in EVOO with some garlic and crushed red pepper, finished with a bit of white truffle oil and lavender vinegar. Everything worked beautifully with the wine.
Recipe thread is a scary thought, but if you're ever looking for something, my cell number is on the tour spreadsheet. Cheesecake cookbook link is in my signature, though.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

jmdavidson

ddeuddeg wrote:Always happy to share recipes. In fact, I posted my favorite grilled salmon recipe on the Pedroncelli Zinfandel thread yesterday for someone who only seemed to have it with steak. Tonight's dinner was pretty simple: a ribeye on the grill with no seasoning at all, a couple of baked potatoes, green beans we got at the farmers' market this morning, fresh swiss chard sautéed in EVOO with some garlic and crushed red pepper, finished with a bit of white truffle oil and lavender vinegar. Everything worked beautifully with the wine.
Recipe thread is a scary thought, but if you're ever looking for something, my cell number is on the tour spreadsheet. Cheesecake cookbook link is in my signature, though.

I did write down your salmon topping recipe. I have a similar one, but use grey poupon instead of chinese hot mustard. Thanks for sharing.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 233 Private Messages kylemittskus
jmdavidson wrote:I appreciate whenever someone posts a wine they are drinking and include the food pairing. Sometimes I think this thread should be "What are you drinking (&eating) tonight." Thanks to those that post the food. It often gives me ideas for my own pairings. Now if we could just start a recipe thread...

All in favor?

I'm a +1. Post your food people!

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

karenhynes

kylemittskus wrote:All in favor?

I'm a +1. Post your food people!

+1.

I also appreciate the food pairings/descriptions. I don't cook as much as I'd like to so I as always appreciate the inspiration.

My pairing is continuing with a mixed berry tartlette and some shortbread cookies with chocolate ganache filling. All in all, an excellent night (while watching Bottle Shock...again).

bahwm

quality posts: 34 Private Messages bahwm
karenhynes wrote:+1.

I also appreciate the food pairings/descriptions. I don't cook as much as I'd like to so I as always appreciate the inspiration.

My pairing is continuing with a mixed berry tartlette and some shortbread cookies with chocolate ganache filling. All in all, an excellent night (while watching Bottle Shock...again).

Sounds yummy! Did you make your own pasta?

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee

If you have any 03 Ty Sonoma county Zin, it's ideal right now

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

karenhynes

bahwm wrote:Sounds yummy! Did you make your own pasta?

Sadly, no...I have a pasta maker but haven't used it in years. I picked it up at a place called Eataly after having dinner there last night with some friends. We picked up the pasta, shrimp, pesto, cheeses, and some phenomenally wonderful prosciutto di parma. We ate well tonight! I may never enjoy boxed pasta again!

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
karenhynes wrote:Sadly, no...I have a pasta maker but haven't used it in years. I picked it up at a place called Eataly after having dinner there last night with some friends. We picked up the pasta, shrimp, pesto, cheeses, and some phenomenally wonderful prosciutto di parma. We ate well tonight! I may never enjoy boxed pasta again!

Isn't that lidia's joint? I love her

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

karenhynes

bhodilee wrote:Isn't that lidia's joint? I love her

Yes, I think there are several "big names" involved including Mario Batali and Lidia Bastianich. It was my first time there and I'll definitely be going back. Everything we had was delicious.

jmdavidson

2003 Sempre Vive CS. Great value from TSO at $20 a bottle.

rjquillin

2013 Foppiano Rosé
not sure how many of these I got on tour, but I'm hoping more than the one I opened yesterday.

CT

losthighwayz

quality posts: 63 Private Messages losthighwayz
rjquillin wrote:2013 Foppiano Rosé
not sure how many of these I got on tour, but I'm hoping more than the one I opened yesterday.

Rose of....???

"The older I get the better I was"

cortot20

quality posts: 161 Private Messages cortot20
losthighwayz wrote:Rose of....???

Foppiano.......... Duh!!!!

CT

jmdavidson

losthighwayz wrote:Rose of....???

My sheet from the tasting shows: 2012 Estate Rose, 1/2 pinot noir & 1/2 petite syrah.

joelsisk

quality posts: 10 Private Messages joelsisk

Twas tonight, since I finished Monkey 2nd Prize last night. yum.